Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: SEMO Basketball Thoughts

Posted by bobty423 on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 10:54 AM:

Thoughts from last night after watching online:

1) 14-2 start to the game. I actually talked to a few SEMO buddies and predicted a 12-2 Murray start. Why does this team continue to struggle out of the gate? It makes zero sense to me. They were down 16-0 the other day at home. I'm not sure if the players or coaching staff is to blame, but someone has to start taking some responsibility for the consistent slow starts. It's embarrassing.

2) Why in the world was Bradley in the game last night under two minutes in the first half, only down four, with two fouls? WHY!? He ended up picking up his third with 1:47 left in the first half I believe. Only down four I see no logical reason why he's in that game. If we were still down 12-15 I could see it - we need offense and we need it now but it was a TWO possession game. This isn't a video game - you can't just leave your best player in the game and "hope" he doesn't get a third foul. I'm not starting this to bash Coach Nutt by any means - but that's just not a good coaching move and I hope he learns from that.

3) Why is Stone shooting 3-pointers and spending the majority of the possessions standing around the 3-point line? This one is a head scratcher for me. Stone is a heck of player - who has shown in the past he can step out and hit some shots. I understand that, but watching this team Stone needs to be on the block. He likes to play with his face towards the basket and I get that, but get him the ball on the block and let him work. What a waste of talent having an entire offense with one of the best players in the OVC not taking advantage of his strengths.

Somehow SEMO was only down 4 at half after playing some very poor basketball the first 20 minutes which was encouraging. Bradley was an absolute beast in the second half and I really feel we win that game if he doesn't foul out - which he shouldn't have because of the dumb decision in the first half. This team has to start playing more consistent. Anybody who has watched this team several times this year has seen the potential and the talent they have - but it's already becoming a frustrating start to the season watching them sputter out of the gate. Peay is going to be a tough one Saturday night - hopefully they don't get down double digits to start the game.

Replies (75)

• It is hard to get so excited for a great season with superior players and high expectations, and then watch a guy not prepare his players for 40 minutes of competition. This team could be really good. I mean REALLY GOOD! However, no matter how talented a team is, their preparation is in the hands of one dude. The way they come out at the start of the game reflects leadership.

I don't want to bash Nutt either. He took over for a crazy man and actually has done a decent job of turning the program around. But there comes a time when being mediocre every year isn't good enough.

-- Posted by StealingHome on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 12:31 PM
  • It's easy to blame the coach but when are we going to start blaming the guys playing the game? Someone needs to step up and be a leader. You can't fall behind double digits at the beginning of every game and expect to be any good. That's just exhausting.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 1:42 PM
  • I agree 7plus1. Players have to be held responsible. There's only so much Coach Nutt can do. However, at some point you have to try and switch up the lineup or attempt a different pregame tactic (maybe he has with the pregame tactic), but you have to find five guys that can start the game with energy. McRoberts comes to mind watching him recently.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 2:48 PM
  • Bobty, I agree with all your points. Last night was very frustrating. It seems like without Bradley on the court, we have no chance. Another thing that stood out to me was Murray's offensive rebounding. How do we let a single player grab 9 offensive rebounds? Murray outscored us 17-4 in second chance points. This cannot happen if we want to win against a decent team! I've been watching sports for a lot of years and I've never seen a team consistently unprepared like this team. It blows my mind. On the road, at home, good crowd (relatively speaking), bad crowd - it doesn't matter - poor starts everywhere. I agree with bobty that you have to start with the coaching on this one.

I'll end with a few good things. I thought Nino played much better last night. He had a poor moment or two, but he seemed much more energetic and interested yesterday. I hope he keeps it up.

Bradley is a heck of a player. That guy is fun to watch.

I couldn't believe Langford had 17 points (he seemed quiet), but if he can put up those numbers, that would be great.

OVC digital network provides a pretty high-quality broadcast of the game for free. I recommend it to anyone who wants to watch SEMO on the road.

Lastly, I wasn't not too impressed with Murray. On one hand, this is bad because we lost to them. On the other, this is good because I think in the long run we will come out ahead of them.

-- Posted by wjb9182 on Fri, Jan 3, 2014, at 3:18 PM
  • I am a Racer fan and I must say, I was shocked to see that SEMO fell to Murray the other night. I do know that, whether Murray is having a great year or an average year, SEMO makes a big deal out of playing them. Could it be that SEMO's coaching staff has put too much of an emphasis on playing Murray? I say this because there can be adverse effects when being over-prepared. Now, I don't follow SEMO's basketball team much, so I don't know if their performance against Murray was much different from other games, but I am putting this point out there solely for discussion purposes.

-- Posted by MSU35 on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 9:44 AM
  • No they always do this. They dig themselves a hole and end up having to play catch up the whole game.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • 20 years at ASU and he was around .500, now he's at Semo and he's around .500. Why is everyone surprised? He can get players, but they'll never be as good as they're capable. He'll win a couple games a year they probably shouldn't and lose a few a games a year that they should have won and end up around .500.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 3:26 PM
  • Agree 100% Champ. Why is everyone surprised

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • Another masterful screw job by the Redhawks.

-- Posted by StealingHome on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 9:25 PM
  • Well SEMO has lost to Austin Peay. They blew a 17 point halftime lead. They move to 0-2 in the conference. Certainly the season is not over, but if you can't win on the road with a far superior team then you aren't going to go far. Hopefully they can right the ship at home.

One quick note - McRoberts did not play a minute..I haven't heard if he is hurt?

-- Posted by bobty423 on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 9:25 PM
  • Not 17 point halftime lead...a 17 point first half lead. My fault.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Sat, Jan 4, 2014, at 9:27 PM
  • Bobty, I also thought that McRoberts didn't play but the box score shows he played 2 min. I don't remember seeing him in there. Another thing I had wrong was that I, like you, thought SEMO's biggest lead was 17 when it was actually 15. I was sucking down Nyquil watching the game, so that probably explains it. And that also explains the only reason I was able to sleep last night after such a poor second half effort by SEMO. I think Champ Kind and BIGEWL make good points about Nutt's history of coaching .500 basketball. Is it time for him to go? I'm not in tune with the inner workings of SEMO athletics, so can someone help me out here? Any chance Nutt gets let go before his contract expires?

On a positive note, like I said before, Bradley is a very talented player. He continues to impress me. I hope his recent fouling out trend ceases immediately.

-- Posted by wjb9182 on Sun, Jan 5, 2014, at 1:43 PM
  • I don't know what to say. This team is too frustrating.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sun, Jan 5, 2014, at 5:19 PM
  • i don't think coach nutt has ever been known as a great x and o coach or even a very good in-game coach. he(or his staff) has done a pretty good job recruiting though. however, this team is way too talented to be off to an 0-2 start in the ovc. and it will probably be 0-3 when they lose to belmont next thur. their defense is not very good most of the time and it's perplexing why they usually get off to horrific starts in games. coach nutt did an admirable job of turning around what was a complete mess of a program after edgar left. but, .500 records and finishing in the middle of the ovc pack is unacceptable and there has been plenty of time to get things turned around. if semo doesn't make a serious run at the ovc title this year, it's time for a change.

-- Posted by myershallred on Mon, Jan 6, 2014, at 12:16 AM
  • I don't get to make many games but I don't like the way semo does pre game warm ups . From what I've seen it's very lazy and no intensity . Seen jr high teams with better preparation . Seen their opponents do some really good drills to prepare for the game, I think that's what semo needs to do to have better starts to their games .

-- Posted by hawk9stay on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 11:12 AM
  • That's an interesting point hawk. I've been to every home game this year and I've never really paid a whole lot of attention to their warm-ups. I don't necessarily think they do a bad job, it's the standard layups and shooting drills - but you're correct in that the intensity level is way down.

They started great at Peay and led by as many as 15 in the first half but seemed to just fall back into bad shot after bad shot when Peay made their run. It'd be nice to a see a floor leader emerge and calm everyone down - aka Lucas (I'm not sure he's providing much else these days).

This Thursday should be a fun time against Belmont. I don't want to call it a must win game - but in order to get a top seed and a bye to the semifinals in the OVC Tournament (which is absolutely huge) then SEMO can't fall behind anymore. I hope the community gets out if the weather is decent and supports the Redhawks.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 3:03 PM

Notre Dame transfer Cam Biedscheid commits to Mizzou

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 4:52 PM

That means Tim Fuller has now reeled in Biedscheid, Brown, Clarkson, Bell, Ross, J3 and Jakeenan Gant.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 4:53 PM

And Oriakhi

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 4:54 PM

Yeah Fuller is a monster recruiter. I'm sure the head coach did have a hand in it

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 4:56 PM

Yeah he is apparently! Oh yeah I'm sure too, just that Fuller was the lead on all these guys and discovered them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 5:04 PM

doing a heck of a job!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 5:05 PM

On another note, does Louisville now become the sleaziest school is sports with the duo of Rick Pitino and Bobby Petrino!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 5:11 PM

Pitino hit that sleaze level with me when when he had that kid out of wedlock and tried to blame it on 9/11

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 5:48 PM

I'm sorry he didn't have the kid just the affair and pressured the woman to not have it

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • What did Louisville do now?

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 7:52 PM

Hired Petrino as their new football coach.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 8:01 PM

They haven't hired him yet. I mean it's not like they haven't put up with him before.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 7, 2014, at 8:24 PM

What is going on with SEMO? We have heard about all the talent they have this year, but they have not been playing well. They do have talent but too many "individuals" and not enough "team" play in my opinion. Do they beat Belmont tonight? I dont think so, but I hope they do.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:28 AM

SEMO has a very talented team this year. My opinion is that they need to stop Stone from shooting 3's and play to his strength which is high or low post. When Nino and Stone play the High Low post thats hard to beat. If Stone shoots a 3 pull him n let him sit on the bench till he gets it in his head thats not his role. We need to see more of the bench players in the games. We have the 3 point shooters sitting on the bench. Try and shake it up if the starting 5 is not producing go to the bench. Who knows one of them may have a off the chart night and give the spark they need. Nutt said he is going to use his bench if his starting 5 are not doing the job he has players on the bench that want to play. We'll lets see him put action to his words! We still need to support the team win or lose! These guys need our support and lets fill the Show Me Center tonight!

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:26 PM
  • I attended my first Semo game of the year tonight. Semo has potential to be a good team but a lot needs to happen.

Bradley and Stone are as good as advertised. I was impressed with Langford as well but he needs to control his emotions/attitude better at certain points. I agree that L. Nutt should not see the floor unless we're winning with under 2 minutes to go in the game. I say let Cleveland mature as the primary ball handler. With him only being a freshman he could develop into a top player in the conference IMO.

Semo looks to be well off at this point on the offensive end judging by tonight and scores this season. We got off to a better start tonight I noticed also. What I think is losing us games at this point is on the defensive end. We have absolutely no discipline on defense. They play hard but looked to very prone to the shot fake and rotating around the ball.

With all this being said, I was impressed with Belmont tonight. You don't find too many teams that can shoot the rock like they do but Semo's defense was exposed like it should be against a good team. If they can pick it up on the defensive end, Semo could be a factor come OVC tourney time.

Next year I could see Semo having a great season barring everyone stays etc. We'll only be losing two players to graduation that can be replaced IMO.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:45 PM
  • I was glad to see the team play the way they did tonight. I think Coach Nutt puts to much pressure on Lucas to make things happen, which is not working. When another team has a guard making 24 points in a game, makes SEMO point guard look shame. I think Calvin is a better guard to start in that position, but don't tell the Coach that! Bradley can't win the games for SEMO alone he surely needs help. Where's the shooters? I agree McRoberts should get more time since he saved SEMO the first time he played, but where does the Coach have him?on the bench. What guard plays 22 minutes with no assists or points? what do think it would take for the Coach to sit him down? I know all the players play hard, but the Coach himself needs to make some changes if he expects to win. He had these players since the first day of practice he still has not found their places yet? Maybe the Coach is not listening to his staff and just taking his own advice, but something got give we need to WIN!!!!.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:34 PM
  • Will Holifield is a great three point shooter, do you think the Coach will set a play for him to help the team? This man has a talented team, I sure hope he find a way to use them.

-- Posted by semofan17 on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:47 PM
  • Will Holifield can hit an open 3, he also couldn't guard a 90 year old woman with a walker.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 11:10 PM
  • Thoughts on Belmont game:

Wow, Belmont is good. Even if you take away their great 3-point shooting, the way they work the ball around on offense is impressive. They rarely turned the ball over and were just fundamentally sound on offense. Very well coached and a great example of a bunch of guys playing unselfishly as a unit. Unfortunately, you can't say the same about SEMO's coaching. Belmont's coach made Dickey Nutt look like he belonged on a church league sideline.

It's always going to be tough to beat a team that executes that well on offense. With that being said, SEMO's defense is simply pathetic. They can't guard anyone, there's no help defense, and the intensity is non-existent. Nino Johnson would rather knit sweaters with my 95 year old neighbor Wilma than put any effort into defense. And speaking of Nino, why is he hanging out at the top of the key so much? I do not understand this at all. Someone please help me out.

Tyler Stone, please stop shooting 3s.

In a game where we needed defense more than anything, why didn't McRoberts play until the end? At least put him in there to mix things up and get some intensity on the defensive end.

Lucas Nutt keeps getting worse. It looks like he's not even trying anymore.

SEMO 0-3, Murray 3-0. I haven't lost all hope, but I'm 100% concerned.

I want to end on a good note. I didn't think Bradley had his best game but he still dropped in 27. This guy is special. Also, Josh Langford had an outstanding offensive performance. Glad to see he's rounding into form. (Side note: Langford loves to bank 3's, doesn't he?)

-- Posted by wjb9182 on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 5:57 AM
  • Looks like another Historic year for Semo Mens Basketball.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:12 AM

In my opinion certain players are playing for themselves and not for the team. Why is Stone shooting 3's? I feel it is because his mind is on the future and not on the present.

What I mean is that someone has fed Stone and maybe some of the others telling them if you can play from the outside and expand your game you have a chance to play at the next level. Maybe a select few are playing for the scouts. Of course I dont know if that is true or not. But from the outside looking in, it appears to be that way to me.

Individual play also reflects back on defense as well. That's why you see a lack of help defense, lack of intensity, lack of discipline. It does start with the head coach.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:33 AM

Quote from Coach Nutt on semoball.com " Right now it's kind of a Catch-22. Some of our better offensive players are not as good defensively." Very true statement! Well let's see if you are not getting the kind of play out of the guys on the floor go to the bench and play those guys! Mix it up and see what you have sitting you just may be surprised on what is waiting to get in the game! You are the coach make the decisions put people in and see what they can do. It just may be what it takes to WAKE up the guys on the floor. If I dont play defense i will be sitting and watching from the sidelines. We could have beat Belmont if we would have played DEFENSE! Yes Stone QUIT shooting 3's you shoot one and guess what AIR BALL!If 5 guys are not getting the job done then try 5 more till you find that combination that works. We have the guards that can knock the bottom out but where are they? Some are in the game NOT taking the shots they need to be and some on the bench. We have got to PLAY DEFENSE!

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:36 AM
  • Belmont= Unselfish, Execution, Coaching, and effort

Semo= Selfish, no execution, no coaching and no effort

I look at the Semo roster and I've always wonder why they don't recruit more in STL. I mean the effort Leon Powell gave on 2 bad knees in 1min of play is more than Nino has given in 3 yrs. The fan favorite who actually puts effort into the defense of end of the floor is also from STL. I would rather spend my hard earn $$$ watching 12 Paul Mcroberts play than one more min of NINO "quitting" Johnson.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:00 AM
  • Just look at his record over his career. I don't know why anybody would think he would be any better at Semo. I would rather them have hired a young coach with little experience then someone who hasn't proved anything over a long career.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:49 AM
  • Agree BIGELW,

Make SEMO a stepping stone for young coaches. They may not all workout, but I gurantee they will take more pride and bring more energy to the program than the staff we have now.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • I agree with you all. Plus the fact that coach Nutt probably doesn't have control on his team off the court. Let's not forget the leaving of 2 players over the summer, 1 getting kick off and one just leaving plus stone and Nino getting suspension at beginning of season. He recruits talent but few character players.

As far as his record he is 246-272 overall; 57-85 at Southeast; 26-45 OVC as of today.. that's not good. He has been improving the team record each year. ..barely but he has. This team has talent to win but they are 8-8 with 2 wins over NSA schools.

I think they should make a coaching change soon.

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:08 AM
  • Hopefully we can get back on track with a win tonight against 2-15 TSU. If not, that could be the dagger for the season, especially with 2 tough road games following. An 0-6 start in conference play would be impossible to dig out of but it sure would give the university plenty of time to regroup.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 1:30 AM
  • So why is Nino still wearing a SEMO uniform? This team couldn't beat the D2 teams of the 70's & 80's.

-- Posted by MortCooper42 on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • Some of the players are under-performing and they know it, they just don't know how to handle it. Coach should help them or bench them for now. Team plays best "gassed" and against the wall. Get 'em tired before the game starts. Team does not know how to handle success (nor do the coaches know how to coach with a lead). None of these players are being scouted by NBA, and if they think they are they need to grow up! This is SEMO, not UK. Like Samuels was doing with football, seems to me that Nutt is coaching for a contract buy-out. If true, Alnutt should do it now and get it over with.

-- Posted by ClarenceTheCat on Wed, Jan 15, 2014, at 5:14 PM
  • I'm not ready to leap to the conclusions/suggestions of previous comments mentioning A) Nutt recruits few character players and B) Nutt is coaching for a contract buy-out. Can we really complain about how these young men are in terms of staying out of trouble? Sure you have the one or two game suspension of Johnson and Stone at the beginning of the season but that doesn't mean either are of low character. Listen to last Monday's coaches show interview between Jamal Calvin and Erik Sean. Impressive young man. And there's no way Nutt is going to sabotage his job with the slow but steady improvement of Southeast's program.

-- Posted by Grussman on Thu, Jan 16, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • He doesn't have to sabotage it that will happen anyway.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jan 16, 2014, at 11:32 AM
  • Another disappointing performance tonight. Ugh! Something needs to change, like maybe getting a young, vibrant coach. An experienced coach with a 20 year track record of .500 basketball teams is apparently not working, except to achieve a plateau of .500 seasons.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Jan 16, 2014, at 8:38 PM
  • Pathetic is about all I can say for this entire team. Coach Nutt deserves his fair share of the blame, I'm done defending him to anybody. The players deserve their fair share of the blame, half of them seem to not care at all and would rather be somewhere else (which is also a sign that Coach Nutt cannot get through to this team).

What a shame that the Redhawk faithful have to put up with this team. At the beginning of the season I was excited as ever. Now I almost dread when SEMO has a home game because I know I'm going and I know I'm going to walk away disappointed. For some reason I keep going, hoping that one day Coach Nutt may actually have a game plan that works and if it doesn't he may actually make an in-game adjustment.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Thu, Jan 16, 2014, at 10:53 PM
  • I couldn't understand last year why everyone was making a big deal of being one game over 500 but according to everyone they were rebuilding. High hopes to start the year being the preseason pick to win their division and not can't seem to play any defense. I would say to Coach Nutt if your main players aren't playing defense don't baby them sit them down and put someone in that will give the effort. I hope they turn it around but I'm not very optimistic that they will. Another losing season for the Red Hawks it is no wonder the crowds at the home games are small. Good Luck

-- Posted by runner50 on Fri, Jan 17, 2014, at 6:23 AM
  • Speaking of crowds...based on the crowds I see at most of the other OVC schools we've played, I would say SEMO has a nice crowd for their games. And that is with a team that is giving them nothing to show up for. I do believe that if SEMO were to play consistently towards the top of the conference, the show me center could become alive again. The question is, can we get there? I have my reservations....

-- Posted by lseed on Fri, Jan 17, 2014, at 6:52 AM
  • My guess for Morehead state attendance last night would be 450 people. 👎

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Fri, Jan 17, 2014, at 9:57 AM
  • FallSoHard....I'm with you on that estimate. It made me think that we pack the Show Me Center.

-- Posted by lseed on Fri, Jan 17, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • Anyone intersted to see the starting lineup Thursday? Amazing what McRoberts and Calvin can do when given the opportunity. I hope they continue to get the chance to make an impact with this team. Would I be surprised if they didn't play next game? No. Hopefully Nutt has gotten desperate enough to let go of his pride a bit and go with what works.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 10:17 AM
  • who's minutes took a hit last night? I didn't see Grays name anywhere

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 11:34 AM
  • Lucas Nutt, Josh Langford, and the freshman Cleveland minutes were cut

-- Posted by datruth on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 12:59 PM

Semo gets the win when they spread the ball around and are less selfish. They had 9 guys score, 4 of which were in double figures against SIU-E. They needed this win.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 7:16 AM
  • This team might not even make the tournament. What a waste.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 8:37 PM

How can you not have your line up turned in?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 9:42 PM
  • I couldn't believe it... unreal Larry. Has anyone actually ever seen this happen? I can maybe understand after halftime, but before the game? wow

-- Posted by Radar99 on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 10:19 PM
  • What do you mean about the line up Larry?

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 10:47 PM

They didn't have their line up turned in before the game, so that resulted in a technical with free throws. I was stunned, who does that!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 10:51 PM
  • Wow unheard of and they only lost by 3. Another thing to blame on the head coach

-- Posted by datruth on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 11:01 PM
  • So much for the excitement of Langford joining the team. Either underachieving or a lot of hype by the coach.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 8:57 AM
  • The unfortunate thing is....we're stuck with Nutt for at least 1 more year. Alnutt will NOT make a change after this season.

-- Posted by semosoccer on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 10:55 AM

It's a lot harder than people think to fill in 5 squares on the scorebook to signify the starters. Unbelievable, slowly but surely the River Campus is winning the battle against the sports program.....ugh

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 11:49 AM

Lanford is good. He has talent and so do a few others for the Redhawks. But they play zero D. They play defense like any NBA team. They dont play together and take dumb shots. They were something like 1-16 at one point from 3 against EIU and finish 4-21. I dont know maybe when you are like 1 for 10....stop shooting.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • hey semosoccer thanks for "registering" your thoughts on getting rid of Nutt. Seriously! You do have one part right about the inexperienced AD all he wants to do is get rid of coaches. This team under performing is Nutt's fault?? have you considered these kids, yes kids accountability in this process? Season is not over and SEMO will be a team no one in OVC will want to play against in tourney

-- Posted by semofan2 on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 8:50 AM

semofan2 seems to be off his rocker this morning. Nutt is a .500 coach and will always be a .500 coach. He was a good hire to correct the ship after all the NCAA trouble but he is not the coach to take this team to greatness.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:05 AM
  • I agree with getting rid of coach nutt. But for the posts that say the team doesn't play defense. ..look at post from past seasons and you see the same thing. Half this team is different and still they don't play d...coaches fault. But I still think this team is capable of achieving big things.

-- Posted by datruth on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 8:42 PM
  • its all about march so wait and critique them after OVC tourney. If they do well in tourney then disappointing regular season will be a blur

-- Posted by redboy on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:01 AM
  • I have to disagree redboy. The regular season won't be a blur. I'm all for March success and believe it covers up a lot of bad. However, for people attending every home semo game the regular season is meaningful. It would be nice to go up to the game and get a consistent effort from the players and coaching staff every game - not just the tournament. Which, by the way, they are on the outside looking in with some tough upcoming games and Bradley banged up. Not good.

SEMO hasn't established themselves as an NCAA team ever. So winning the OVC tournament is an unrealistic expectation. Winning regular season games, especially at home, is a very real expectation for the team picked to win the OVC West.

-- Posted by bobty423 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:12 AM
  • Agree. Going to the games is aggravating due to inconsistency of play. At times, they look like they can beat most any OVC and then go backward the next game. I look at inconsistency as mainly a coaching issue, but players can also be to blame.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:58 AM
  • Coach seem to be saying today that without Porter and Jones they should not have been ranked as high in pre-season. Porter was iffy at best and Jones is not a difference player + he had the addition of Langford who Coach says he is one of or the best player he has ever coached. Now it seems that his players are having a hard time with the pressure of living up to expectations. This team needs leadership to get them past the pressure of winning and play some good ball. That starts at the top.

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:55 PM
  • How is it that people actually say Nutt is "building a program", "turning it around", "he's the right man for the job"...or however the optimists choose to phrase it?

A average coach wins as many as he loses. AVERAGE! Sometimes there are circumstances out of a coaches hands that dictate the level of success he or she has---but over a large body of work the cream rises to the top and the record will indicate if someone is a quality coach or average. THIS MAN IS BELOW AVERAGE.

I don't care how low the program has fallen, a quality coach would have a average school, in a average conference, in a much better than average position. THIS TEAM MAY NOT EVEN MAKE THE CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT. This is NOT average. What is it in the water in Southeast Missouri that is keeping the fans from screaming for a change?

Eastern Illinois was just as bad off as SEMO if not worse. Look at the standings. Granted, it's only Spoonhour's second season, but he looks to have them somewhat competitive, and beat SEMO not long ago---and he didn't get hired TWICE by SEMO. SIUE is still in the infancy stage of D1 ball but is in a much better position than SEMO...and I don't want to hear the excuse that they have a bigger market to recruit from. SEMO is 2 hours south with a large base of the students from the STL area. SEMO had a opportunity to tap into the STL market and chose not to, now SIUE will likely try to grab any lesser caliber D1 player from the region (with the Missouri Valley teams grabbing the higher recruits)---and do you think Spoonhour won't be recruiting STL hard? That had to be a real IN YOUR FACE win when EIU beat SEMO for Spoonhour!

The hiring of Nutt was a complete joke, and he has done NOTHING at all to build a program that will sustain any kind of success. He doesn't have the skill to maintain any success. He is AVERAGE, with more downs than ups. One or two games above .500 is about as good as you will get on a good year, with an occasional 18 win season every 5 or 6 years.

-- Posted by Billikenfan on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 8:13 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: