Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: 2 Nutts Don't Make A Right

Posted by dukefan on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 7:54 PM:

I've waited for awhile for someone to speak up on this issue. How in the world does Dickey get away with putting both of his sons on scholarship? Not only bringing them on board, but starting one and the other one getting significant playing time. He actually put both on the floor at the same time tonight. If they were legit D-1 players I would have no problem. You can forget about competing in the OVC until Dickey's focus becomes winning basketball games and not about smooth talking everyone he sees. Thoughts?

Replies (50)

• Finally!! Ive been waiting for someone to call Dickey out on this. I have many questions for him including why he feels the need to play his sons, especially Logan. No offense to the Nutt boys, but they are not D-I players. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have Brister out there. Under any other coach not named Nutt, Logan wouldn't even be on the roster. And Lucas probably wouldn't either.

Also Michael Porter is awful.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 7:02 AM
  • Lucas isn't as bad as your making him out to be and Logan isn't good but he is a walk on.. read the article fro the game.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 7:23 PM
  • Either way, what point guard will want to come to SEMO when the coach's son is the starting point guard? Lucas usually does a good job not turning the ball over, but he doesn't make anything happen either. He is also a liability on defense. We need a point guard that can make things happen. I know we are a work in progress, but I too am amazed that no one else has voiced their concern about this issue. I'm worried that Nutt's smooth talking personality has blinded this town of the fact that we will have a below average point guard for the next 2.5 years.

-- Posted by dukefan on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 9:32 PM
  • I like Dickey but if he keeps pulling this Nutt Show all season I'll just stop going to the games. Maybe his wife should be the water girl so she can be a part of the team too. I bet if Zach House's last name was Nutt he'd be playing 40 minutes per game.

-- Posted by lseed on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 9:48 PM
  • his wife loves Michael porter.. sat in front of her verse SE Louisiana

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 9:59 PM

Let Wilkerson play!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:36 AM
  • Both Nutts have no buisness playing d1 basketball

-- Posted by reddog23 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:41 AM
  • that's my thoughts.. if upper classmate don't stand out play youth.. I'd play Powell and stone with smith Brister and Wilkerson at guards.. and use Johnson as my reserve post and Lucas niemczyk and wilford as reserve guards.. n porter as my number 4 post player

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:53 AM
  • Lucas isn't that bad. You guys act like he's terrible but he was very solid for us last year. Once he starts shooting well again he'll be just fine.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • wow where should i start....logan is on a scholarship....13 players and 13 schorlashipz. Porter suckz!! both nutts can not play defense. coach nutt suckz, under .500 coach. took 16 years to get 200 wins. he is full of it in his interviews. he talk bout the whole team needs to be 100% commit to playing d and his sons can play 10% d, but lucas starts......

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:13 PM
  • lucas stats........5.7 pts, 2.7 a, 1.7 to, 28% from 3, and 30% fg. is that a starting d-1 pg #s.....

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:21 PM
  • Put your applications in, if and when the job comes open. I'm sure they would love to hear some of your coaching experiences and wisdom. Nutt came into a crap hole of a situation that had been spiralling down for years. Cleaning up someone else's mess isn't as easy as talking about how you would do it.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:44 PM
  • letz see yourz! @barkleyfan

-- Posted by datruth on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:56 PM
  • I agree dukefan

-- Posted by Ross James on Tue, Jan 24, 2012, at 1:05 PM

I thought SEMO faculty/staff family members got to attend school for a very small fraction of the actual tuition costs. If that's still true, why waste a scholarship on your son if he gets to go practically free?

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 8:46 AM

Lucas Nutt trying to guard Isiah Cannan looked like Rocky trying to catch the chicken early on in his training in Rocky II.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:39 AM
  • I'm sure you would be way overqualified. Your sensibility would cost them more money than they have budgeted datruth. Work on your grammar and spelling before attacking someone else.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:56 PM

I say recruit Jamison from SHS he has the D-1 resume they have White coming in at point. These two guards are better than the semo guards now. Their guards cant shoot well all.I didnt know it was that bad till I saw them play Murray State.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 2:09 AM

JAMISON should be on NUTT's short list!!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Mar 5, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • Lucas rocks....he and daddy will win the OVC next year!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Tue, Mar 6, 2012, at 12:53 PM

I did not know this until today when I read the paper, but Lucas led the OVC in assist to turnover ratio. I don't mind him starting next year..

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Tue, Mar 6, 2012, at 1:14 PM
  • I think if Semo could pick up Jamison from Sikeston that he will make an awesome OVC PG within a year of learning the system.

PROS:

Assist to turnover Ratio for Jamison is great.

Inside scoring for a PG is great.

Ball handling is great.

Outside shooting is good enough.

Free throw shooting is GREAT.

His composure on the floor is "calm under pressure"

CONS:

Height(5'-11" program height but maybe shorter)

Aggression (4 on a scale of 1-10)

Just one guys opinion.

-- Posted by straightswaggin on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:12 PM
  • I think the aggression low level you say could be attributed to his composure on the floor. He doesn't force things and make mistakes by being overly aggressive. Ask the DeSoto bigs he rebounded over and drove at....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • Well Barkley, You seem pretty basketball savy...

So you think Terry Jamison could play for SEMO?

Yes, No and WHY or WHY NOT!

-- Posted by straightswaggin on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • I agreed with you swag...cons are only height according to avg size of PG...that never seemed to bother him. Yes I do think he could. Would beat Logan every day one on one. Can do everything better than Logan and is quicker and can get to the rim better....shooting wise and all intangibles are the same.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:19 AM
  • I think he could possiably play at Semo if he didn't mind sitting the bench a couple years to get a little stronger. I agree he is quicker and would beat Logan one on one but who cares if he can there are alot of guys that could do that. He is no where near strong enough to get to the rim and do anything postive with it with his size right now. He would be better off going Juco first.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 3:06 PM
  • He can get to the rim. My reference to Logan one on one was meant to say he is better than Logan in every facet of the game.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Mar 16, 2012, at 10:53 AM
  • Dont confuse Lucas with Logan...daddy had TWO sons on this years team.

-- Posted by RedShirt on Fri, Mar 16, 2012, at 11:56 PM
  • Coach Nutt is the only coach in America that loses 60 games in 3 years and gets an extension. Thanks Cindy Gannon!

-- Posted by quack on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 1:52 PM
  • He hate....very fitting name.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • I thought this was about Nutt and Jamison? Now its become all of Semos guards and White vs Jamison.....Jamison has fared very well the last few years vs Desoto and their D-1 recruits.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 12:32 PM

I agree that Juco may be better for Jamison.In all fairness you look at the kid from Baylor 5'8 came from juco and is a great point guard.Now White is not better than Jamison no way.He is bigger so what does size matter.If you look at the last contest with Desoto guard comparision Jamison had more points more assist and more rebounds less turnovers and less fouls while being an added great free throw shooter.Playing in the system he has played the last 4 years can seal a game with his free throws alone and being they had enough players that could score rather than rely on one scorer as in the days of Mike Porter when every play was centered around Mike.Then u watch Mike now and he is not doin thet great in college.White is ok but I think he is not D1 talent.People act like if you arent going out of high school to D1 then you arent good enough to play.Maybe going to a Juco and getting the aggresiveness would be good and developing the short jumper would be great.I dont think that considering his obsticles that he has less heart.Talkin with his dad and Jamison only weighing 2 ponds when born with a 50/50 chance on living he is a fighter and a go getter.Of course Lucus is better from the college experience but if u look at ball handling nawwwwwww.White I just dont see making the cut.Should Jamison go Juco sure.Id rather go to a good juco and play rather d1 and sit just with the name sake of saying im D1.Good look to Jamison good luck to Semo goos luck to White.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 4:48 PM

With size look at Nate Robinson in the NBA has no size but contends with the bigs so David can match up with Goliath. I've seen smaller players play with more heart than some bigs. Just because u are big doesn't mean u don't have to jumper. Norfolk state small guards out rebounding Moore an Ratliff all day case in point.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 6:44 PM

Cool Hate I said myself that he could b more aggressive. Scoring ain't everything.. So cease move on to something else. Porter is decent alot has to do with his dad no doubt an coaches no doubt..I assume Jamison work with what he had before him. We will look at what happens on his next level up. Ruffin by know means is better. Yea he scores points so what has selfishness alot an really can't handle one on one pressure.What's the point on scoring 20 when u turnover 5 plus 0 assist and the man u guard puts up 14 you ate still n the hole by 6.soo it's what Eva.. Semo current set up is goin no where has nothing to do with what ever r whoever u put on there.So you can defend Semo setup all u want they will be a non factor in the OVC again This year.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 12:15 PM

U have to have some sort of aggression to get to the rack an probably have the best AND1 completion set. Reverse I never said he would start Semo so u read me wrong.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 12:18 PM

I really don't care hate it has alot to do with programs an the SHS program isn't Others.. U work with what u got seems like u butt in alot an have countless clueless eyesight on whatever. I'm sure every senior at the next level will provide what their capabilities given. People can be hyped up in high school an get to college an do nuthin.Case in point Hatchett from SCC no doubt good get to college flop emphasis put on Hatchett SHS Holifeld SHS college flop..So just wait an see what area seniors do in their first year out Holla at me then. U can squeeze ur butt in then. Peace Hate seems your a Hater for real do talk much logic.. The sun even shines on a dogs tail every now an then so the sun is shining on you

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 1:03 PM

On topic One Nutt is doin ok As stated the lesser Nutt shouldn't be on the floor..

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 1:05 PM

I think hate me is someone who got banned am opened another account talks the same trash as he/she did before deletion.. Rachel check Em..

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 1:07 PM
  • Wherever terry goes they are going to be getting a great player, he's not a vocal leader, he lets his actions do the talking for him. One of the best pg's on driving to the basketball and finishing and getting a call. Great ball handler and free throw shooter. He's basketball smart, and thats something hard to teach. His size is the only thing that hurts him, he puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, and he'll be a force.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 4:43 PM
  • If your a point guard being recruited by SEMO --- Why would you come here. The coaches son is the point guard.....plus, Coach Nutt is not going to bring in a player to replace his boys...

The kicker -- on the post game radio with Eric S., Coach always builds up the one play that his son may have made... and Eric never calls him on it

-- Posted by TIDAL on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:49 PM

Does anyone know the latest on Johnson and Wilkerson? Are they staying at Southeast?

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 9:09 AM
  • Why would they not? Have you heard rumors that they're leaving?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, Mar 30, 2012, at 12:05 AM

There was talk on the Sports Huddle with Erik Sean and Jess Bolen earlier this week. They said they were told that both were getting family pressure to transfer.

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Fri, Mar 30, 2012, at 10:38 PM
  • Jamison was a decent high school guard. Not better than the Nutts. End of discussion.

-- Posted by BBCOR on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 1:34 AM
  • Man I hope Nino doesn't leave...

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 9:30 AM

2 NUTTS DONT MAKE A RIGHT...Bottom LINE END OF MY DISCUSSION..I'll recruit Brittany GRINER....

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 10:13 PM

BBCOR...That's your opinion, but I disagree.

Jamison has been named 1st Team All State in Class 4 along with current incoming freshman guard Jared White. So we will agree to disagree about your Nutt's being better (had to say it that way). Jamison can and will play D1 even if it is after 2 years Juco. End of discussion

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Apr 4, 2012, at 7:08 AM
  • agreed Matt.....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Apr 4, 2012, at 10:11 AM
  • How can a guy who leads the OVC in assist/turnover ratio be awful? He gives up the ball to the team's strengths (Powell) and can shoot the three at will. And let's be honest, besides Murray State this year, it's not like the OVC is contending for a National Title every year. A guy like Lucas Nutt is perfect for the OVC.

-- Posted by speed_never_slumps on Tue, Aug 7, 2012, at 8:03 AM
  • Is Shawnee the only offer Jamison had? I hope so cause i would hate to think he passed up going somewhere else to go there.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 2:59 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: