Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Football Walk-On

Posted by Frank90 on Sat, Jul 24, 2010, at 6:00 PM:

New walk on at SEMO football. Matt Blaise. Carbondale H.S. (IL). Graduated 2008. Spent freshman year at Missouri Baptist on track Scholarship. Three sport athlete at Carbondale H.S.. First team all-conference, and all-south, receiver his senior year. Co-Captain of varsity basketball team. State qualifier in hurdles and 400 meters in track. Great kid. Watch this kid. He is quite a receiver. 6'4, 200#. Big target.

Replies (17)

• Good. Seems like a nice addition. There needs to be able 5-6 kids for Southern Ill. and about 6-10 from Southeast Missouri on this football team. We need more local kids. Talent pool may not be great, but dont tell me there isnt at least three kids each year from this area that couldnt eventually contribute at SEMO.

-- Posted by HeHateMeToo on Thu, Jul 29, 2010, at 10:53 PM
  • This kid can play. Me and my buddy saw this guy burn Marion's secondary all night, a couple of years ago.

-- Posted by Frank90 on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 11:32 PM
  • Looks like Eli Jackson from Sikeston will be walkin on for the Redhawks too!

Could be interesting if they start getting the top talent from this area!

-- Posted by Watson Carr Trophy 2011 on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 10:41 PM
  • Thought Jackson was a walk on at Murray State ??

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Sep 7, 2010, at 11:59 PM
  • Semo dont care about the talent in the area

-- Posted by CapeTiger4 on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 10:10 PM
  • What talet did they over look?

-- Posted by FBSEMOfan on Mon, Sep 27, 2010, at 10:33 PM
  • What I meant to write was....What talent did they over look or not care about?

-- Posted by FBSEMOfan on Mon, Sep 27, 2010, at 10:35 PM
  • How about Matt Lange from Jackson. Mr. 5A football from the state of Missouri. All state first team. Not enough speed they say but, the man could play the game at several positions. What a possession receiver. He caught everything thrown near him. Better yet a great student athlete. He was offered nothing and was told he could walk on. Instead scholarships are given to people like the ones beating people up in their sleep. When you recruit people with good character, their attitudes and work ethics rub off on others.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 11:22 AM
  • How about Matt Lange from Jackson. Mr. 5A football from the state of Missouri. All state first team. Not enough speed they say but, the man could play the game at several positions. What a possession receiver. He caught everything thrown near him. Better yet a great student athlete. He was offered nothing and was told he could walk on. Instead scholarships are given to people like the ones beating people up in their sleep. When you recruit people with good character, their attitudes and work ethics rub off on others.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 11:23 AM
  • You are right he did play several positions at Jackson, and was good in high school. But where was he going to play at SEMO? Reciever? At that time they had Peoples, Miles and Ahamefule. All tall recievers with speed. Safety? B.B. and they recruited Brock out of Parkway North. Just don't see where he fit in. And why not as a walk-on? If he was such a tallent then he could have moved himself into a spot and earned the scholarship. I to understand what you are saying about the good character players though. But really do you think they knew that was going to happen?

-- Posted by FBSEMOfan on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 12:46 PM
  • indian fan, you mean the *wonderful* character they got OUT OF JACKSON?

-- Posted by redhawkstudent on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • I agree on Matt Lang..Can't believe he didn't get something from SEMO...And Sikeston had all that talent last year and SEMO wasn't interested in anyone!!...There is WAY too much talent in this area for noone to be signed year in and year out..

When was the last time Cape, Jackson or Sikeston had a D1 signee to a "major" college..Hayti has had 3 or 4 in the last few years and New Madrid had one last year...Amazing!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 9:14 PM
  • Semo wants the community to get behind the program but when your only recruiting juco playeres from cal, and not in your own backyard. Its kinda hard to do.

-- Posted by CapeTiger5 on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 9:49 PM
  • I agree that Matt Lang was very good at Jackson, I thought he could've went somehwere like MO Valley or some school like that.

Peiffer from Jackson, Cottner from Perryville, Grass from Valle, and Klaproth from Bluff are SEMO's local players on this years roster. Cottner gets probably the least amount of playing time and he ran the fastest 200m time in the region as a senior. D1 college athletes are on another level that it is hard to understand until you see a D1 athlete even from SEMO compared to a small school.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Oct 26, 2010, at 10:55 PM
  • SemoSports.. D-1A athletes r on another level than D-1AA athletes

-- Posted by CapeTiger4 on Wed, Oct 27, 2010, at 6:25 PM
  • If he didnt get recruited by Mo Valley than he wasnt that good, because they recruit this area. I was recruited by them.

-- Posted by CapeTiger5 on Wed, Oct 27, 2010, at 6:55 PM
  • Semo also signed Craig Robinson from Hayti a few years back, but he quit football and decided to do track only.

Pfeiffer (Jackson)

Garritano (Jackson)

Cottner (Perryville)

Grass (St Vincent's)

Klaproth (Bluff)

Robinson (Hayti)

Gibson (No County)

All players that were signed by Semo in the past few years.

Meanwhile, Martin and Murray St have a combined ZERO players from Se Missouri on their rosters. ZERO. Siu has ONE player from this region on its roster, from St Gen, and Semo offered that kid a full scholarship but HE chose to go elsewhere. Missouri St? ONE player from this region, from St Vincents 4 years ago.

Looks like Semo might be the ONLY FCS school recruiting Se Missouri actually. There isn't a single player from Cape-south that is currently on a semi-local FCS roster.

I know of at least 5 players in the Se Missouri region that Semo is currently recruiting. One local player is extremely high on Semo's list of recruits they want. A local coach I talked to was told that Semo considered this local kid their top target at his position. Their top target from anywhere in the country, right here in Se Missouri. If they don't sign him, it won't be because they didn't try to.

-- Posted by boomerang on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 11:10 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: