High School Volleyball Forum: 2015 Volleyball Season

Posted by The Legend on Mon, Jul 6, 2015, at 10:52 PM:

Surprised to see no discussion of volleyball on here with season less than a month away, anybody have any insight into area teams to watch this season? I'm curious how Dexter will be without the Lindsey and Jines girls. I'm sure Notre Dame and Perryville will be as tough as ever. Class 1 will be interesting to watch now that Erin Hoffman has taken over at Advance. I still think Bernie will be tough to beat though as I think they didn't have a senior on the floor last season and had mostly sophomores and freshmen. St. Vincent of course was a very young team that gave their all to a Holthaus-led Winona team at state, and now that Holthaus is gone, I wouldn't be surprised if a team from our area cliched the title this year. Leopold without the Petty girl, not sure how they'll be but it's Leopold and they worship volleyball there so never count them out. Not much to talk about in Class 4 since all of our teams will get demolished by the St. Louis private schools in the playoffs, but Farmington has the edge as always.

Replies (52)

• Will the districts be the same this year or is it a realignment year?

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Mon, Jul 6, 2015, at 11:05 PM
  • I would label St. Vincent as a major contender to compete for a state title in Class 1 this season with the talent Winona graduated.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 12:02 AM
  • Not sure about the districts, Heshootshescores. I think they're staying the same, but MSHSAA doesn't have any districts listed for any schools, not just for volleyball but all other sports. Maybe it's still too early.

Winona only had one senior (Holthaus) but she was extremely talented and carried those teams to their three consecutive state titles. I enjoyed watching her play and I know the Lady Wildcats will miss her tremendously this season. I wish her all the best at EIU.

I think Saxony could cause some noise in Class 2. They will have that talented athletic class of seniors from basketball and soccer seasons, so a first ever district title in volleyball for their school would be great momentum for those ladies carrying over into basketball season. I know Coach Brandmeyer will do all she can to help the Lady Crusaders get there. Bloomfield stopped the Crusaders last season, and they're graduating their setter and best hitter in Lindsey Young, but Bloomfield has traditionally been good in volleyball, so we can't discount them yet. Man, sure am ready to watch some volleyball!

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 1:47 AM
  • Districts are the same.

Class 2 final four and Class 3, District 1 are too unpredictable to predict.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 1:56 AM
  • Don't know if they have district championship caliber teams but the Ste. Genevieve teams will be tough. Park Hills should be good and Arcadia Valley and Bismarck will be competitive The MAAA will once again have a bunch of competitive teams

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 9:01 AM

I have heard Lutheran South is salty!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 4:24 PM
  • I believe L South will be very good this year !!

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 10:20 PM
  • The Mineral Area Conference teams are usually always strong in volleyball. DeSoto had a really solid player in Kelsey Kingsland who was on par with Rachel Holthaus but she graduated this year too. A lot of those teams play in the Perryville Tournament, which is always a very stacked and tough tournament. I think they moved it ahead to the last weekend in September this year, as it was usually the first weekend in October. Bishop DuBourg defeated Park Hills Central for the championship last year. I'm sure St. Pius X of Festus will be tough as always, and while we're in Jefferson County, Windsor of Imperial and Northwest of Cedar Hill and Jefferson of Festus usually have strong programs.

-- Posted by The Legend on Wed, Jul 8, 2015, at 12:31 AM
  • The Bootheel Conference should come down between Malden and Pville.

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Wed, Jul 8, 2015, at 12:17 PM
  • Class 1 in semo will be fun to watch, Hoffman will have a team this year but for the next two the hornets will be in the final four! I'm anxious to see perryville they have lost some talent but seem to reload, not rebuild. P-ville vs ND will be a good game to watch, saxtony made a good run but woodland had a young team. That district will be close with Bloomfield being the district champ and final four team .

-- Posted by Hatershate on Wed, Jul 8, 2015, at 8:27 PM
  • One has to admire the work they are doing down at Portageville. They have quickly emerged as a Class 2 power.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jul 9, 2015, at 3:12 PM
  • I agree on Pville being solid Malden has also built a strong volleyball program as well. Malden is good from 7th grade all the way to high school.

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Thu, Jul 9, 2015, at 9:11 PM
  • I wouldn't consider Portageville to be a Class 2 "power." They've greatly improved, for sure, and I commend their coach for building an up-and-coming program, but like most Bootheel teams, they play a very weak schedule, so their record is often misleading. The level of volleyball competition significantly decreases soon as you go south of Bernie. The Bootheel teams have always been like this. They can't help it; they're just on a different level and not as advanced as the teams farther north. Same thing usually happens to our area teams once we play St. Louis teams: we get crushed. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I'm curious if we have any posters on here from Mountain View who can tell us how the defending Class 2 state champions Liberty Lady Eagles will be this season.

Also, apparently there is going to be a SEMO Conference Tournament this year in volleyball that will feature 10 teams: Cape Central, Charleston, Jackson, Kennett, NMCC, Notre Dame, Oran, Poplar Bluff, Scott City and Sikeston. Notre Dame should have no problems winning that tournament.

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 12:34 AM
  • Legend if the SEMO tournament is going to happen I can't imagine that ND would be very happy because their just doesn't seem to be very good teams other than PB and maybe Jackson and Kennett.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 8:49 AM
  • Agreed, heshootshescores. It doesn't seem like much competition for Notre Dame, save for Jackson and Poplar Bluff. Notre Dame usually competes in the Festus Tournament in addition to the 48-team Dig for Life Challenge at SEMO and their own VolleyballFest, so if they do compete in the SEMO Conference Tournament, they'll have to drop one of those three tournaments. They may end up dropping out of the Dig for Life one since it seems like they'd get much more out of playing the St. Louis area teams in the Festus Tournament, but then again, they do host some of the games in the Dig for Life Challenge so I'm not sure. Their schedule hasn't been posted yet so I imagine they're still trying to work things out. The VolleyballFest is always a pretty stacked tournament too with Notre Dame, Perryville, Dexter, St. Vincent, Ste. Genevieve and St. Pius X of Festus all competing.

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 9:09 AM
  • Hatershate brings up an interesting point. Much like the chicken and the egg question, which comes first, coach Hoffman and then the final 4 team, or the the final 4 team and then coach Hoffman? In either case, she is very successful, and any school would be fortunate to have her as a volleyball coach.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 3:03 PM
  • How will Senath and Holcomb be this year in volleyball

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 6:18 PM
  • Hey joe, coach Hoffman comes first as the chicken and the egg as far as the hornets are concerned, don't fight it, just enjoy it .

-- Posted by Hatershate on Fri, Jul 10, 2015, at 9:14 PM
  • My congratulations to ND for winning the inaugural SEMO conference tournament championship!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jul 11, 2015, at 2:22 AM
  • Didn't say they would win it, but it's them and Jackson and then everybody else. They are going to downgrade their tournament schedule as they will have to get out of a tournament to participate in the newly formed SEMO. I guess Bluff will be competitive also. I wouldn't think that Bluff or Jackson would be thrilled with this. I am of the opinion that Conf. tournaments are a bad thing. It forces you to play teams you already play during the season and sometimes you end of playing them 3 or 4 times in a season.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Sat, Jul 11, 2015, at 10:47 AM
  • Coming from someone watching in the stands, it takes more than one person to win games. Winona has a great program built up, and one person leaving isn't going to ruin it. They have a lot to prove, but I wouldn't underestimate them this season.

-- Posted by Wildcat fan on Tue, Jul 14, 2015, at 10:45 AM
  • Fair enough, but the Miami Heat struggled this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jul 14, 2015, at 11:56 AM
  • If I'm not mistaken Dustin, you're the same guy who said you didn't think Winona would repeat in the 2014 season, so your prediction is quite inaccurate.

-- Posted by Volleyballtalk on Tue, Jul 14, 2015, at 12:13 PM
  • I like St. Vincent to win it all this season in Class 1.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jul 14, 2015, at 1:15 PM
  • We will just have to wait and see what happens.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jul 14, 2015, at 1:18 PM
  • Went to Ste. Gen. jamboree last night and SG looked like the best team there going 5-1. St. Vincent, Perryville, and Valle all looked about the same. Didn't see anything that would make me think any have a chance to make final 4, but all will be competitive

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Aug 19, 2015, at 6:53 PM
  • None of the aforementioned teams will go past districts. SV will have the best chance.

-- Posted by blue recruiter on Sun, Aug 23, 2015, at 7:27 PM
  • Nice win to start the season for Jackson.

25-16 and 25-18 over St. Vincent.

Excited to see where our new Coach may be able to take this program after several years of struggle.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 10:30 PM
  • Im happy to report the Jackson ladies had a great day yesterday!

They won the championship of the 37th annual Southern Illinois Preview Tournament in Carbondale!

A two set win over Centralia in the semis and Carbondale in the Championship brought them their first trophy of any kind since 2009!

Very happy to see that Coach Robinson is starting to turn around a program that has been down for too long!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 6:34 PM

Woodland Volleyball has started out 6-0-2

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 6:47 PM
  • Thats great cker! Keep the updates coming!

I would love to see more volleyball talk! There are some very good teams in this area!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 7:19 PM
  • Hey IP if you think a win over a class 1 foe is a nice win, that's why you all never make it to state! Best of luck you won't be in the final 4 again!

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 7:45 PM
  • Lol! Thanks for the well wishes rules!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 8:57 PM
  • Lol! Thanks for the well wishes rules!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 8:58 PM
  • Your welcome IP , and I truly wish you all the best! SV is a salty team, sorry I was sarcastic! Bad day! But the season is young and you never know. Any semo team in the final four is a good thing! SV was 2nd in state last yr. again gl and thanks again for not letting my day ruin urs!

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 7:16 PM
  • Thanks again rules! I had a great day today and hope you did as well! I just like to talk volleyball and glad you joined the discussion!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 7:31 PM
  • Thnx, I did, and so do I . Should be some meaningful games this week with advance playing Bernie and woodland playing saxony! Can't decide which one I'm going to but for sure one of them ! What about on the bigger school size? Any teams playing that may meet up again in the playoffs?

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:07 PM
  • Jackson will be in the tournament at SEMO this weekend and will face Dexter in pool play. We lost to them in two sets at Dexter last week. Not a playoff possibility but a test of where the Jackson program stands in the area. Dexter may be the best team in SEMO and so young! They will be a force for a while!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:42 PM
  • Advance vs. Bernie also interesting with Coach Hoffman facing her former, very successful team!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:45 PM
  • Also rooting for Woodland to take down Saxony. Gotta always take the small public vs. the private!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 9:48 PM

I'm just happy for Woodland athletics in general. Boys basketball won the woodland invitational last year got their first 20+ wins season in lord knows how long, then was in the district championship game. Girls basketball is usually pretty good there too. Cross country has done really well these past 4-5 years and had a great first year of track! Now Volleyball has started out 6-0-2 and won the woodland Volleyball invitational. Good turn around for the athletics program.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:20 PM
  • Cker. You should be proud!! Congrats on the success and hoping it continues!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 10:42 PM

Thanks IP! As do I! Best of luck to your Indians and hoping for a W for you guys this Friday night. You guys need it. If Jackson can play the full 4 quarters like they do for the first 2 1/2 , they could win almost all of their games. Seems they taper off towards the end. Look forward to the matchup on the court this basketball season! We love doing the broadcast from Jackson. We always get treated well there by the staff and fans. Hoping for a well fought game. Kinda glad Blake Reynolds moved on to Yale so we don't have to worry about him dropping 20 plus on us haha!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:28 PM

Woodland defeated Saxony in 2 sets tonight. Still undefeated!!

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:30 PM
  • Awesome win cker23! Love to hear that!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:54 PM
  • Saxony and advance both list in 2, glad I'm not a gambler would have bet both would have went 3! Congrats to woodland and Bernie! I'm pretty sure both teams will see each other again with playoffs on the line.

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 10:07 PM
  • Won

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 10:08 PM
  • Gl to ur Indians this weekend ip. Should be some good games to watch'

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 10:12 PM
  • Lost, sorry was thinking one thing and wrote the other! Saxony and advance both lost in 2!

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 10:14 PM
  • Winona is back in the final four for everyone who thought they wouldn't make it without Holthaus!!

-- Posted by Volleyballfanatic on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 8:43 PM
  • @Volleyballfanatic there is no competition in class 1 that's probably why.

And I'm shocked that Bismarck beat St. Vincent

-- Posted by justafan573 on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 9:17 PM
  • Justafan573 walk it off!!!

-- Posted by wildcatdad on Sat, Oct 24, 2015, at 9:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: