High School Volleyball Forum: Class 2 & Class 3 Volleyball

Posted by drawmules on Wed, Oct 21, 2009, at 12:39 PM:

District volleyball tournaments begin on Oct. 26.

In Class 2, Scott City is the favorite to return to Kansas City. Bloomfield's success in recent weeks cannot be ignored, however. Scott City and Bloomfield will likely battle for a district championship at Bloomfield next Tuesday. Many feel the winner of this game will advance to Kansas City. The winner of this district would need to win sectional games at Clearwater. St. Pius X (Festus) may provide the best competition at sectionals. Any thoughts on Class 2?

In Class 3, Notre Dame and DeSoto are amazing. I already have them penciled in to the state sectional bracket. I can always erase their names and replace them with Dexter, Perryville, or St. Gen. If Notre Dame and DeSoto do advance to state sectionals they will play each other. The winner of this game would then likely face a tough game against a St. Louis school such as Rosati-Kain in the state quarterfinals. Any thoughts on Class 3?

Replies (8)

• Scott City is the prohibitive favorite in Class 2 around here, I do believe. They are just a powerhouse this year. They have height, speed, talent and determination. I was really impressed with the Brooke Simpson girl when we played them. She made few errors, if any, and seemed like a real team leader. They knocked off several state-ranked teams in Class 1 at the SEMO Classics, namely Eminence and Lesterville, albeit the game against Eminence was really close (I believe the scores were 25-24, 25-24), and they beat Leopold in regular season 25-10, 25-19. Bloomfield has talent but they are an inconsistent team, but I give kudos to any team that can go in and upset Bell City for a conference tournament championship. If Bloomfield keeps playing the way they have lately, they will be a big contender in Class 2, but right now, I'd say Scott City is definitely the favorite. (Speaking of Bloomfield, we [Zalma] play them tomorrow night at Zalma. Should be a really good game. It's our "Senior Night," but we have no seniors this year hahah.)

I don't know much about Class 3 but I agree with you, drawmules. I think Notre Dame and DeSoto are really good teams. Not to diminish the success and talent of Dexter but keep in mind they finished third at the SCAA Tournament this past week, and I know Leopold beat them in the SEMO Classics.

I'd like to see lots of teams from Southeast Missouri make it to state this year. If I had to choose, I'd say the teams that are best prepared to do that are Eminence and Leopold in Class 1 and Scott City in Class 2, and I wish Notre Dame all the luck in going to state in Class 3. We all may be big rivals around here during season and Districts but when any team from Southeast Missouri makes it to state, they should know that they have the full support of their school, city, community and region in general.

P.S. Drawmules, where's the forum about Class 4? I take it Jackson and Cape Central are Class 4?

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Wed, Oct 21, 2009, at 3:13 PM
  • I didn't post a forum about Class 4 because there are very few Class 4 teams from Southeast Missouri. Central(Cape Girardeau), Farmington, Jackson, Poplar Bluff and Hillsboro are in a Class 4 district hosted by Jackson. I predict Farmington will win this district. Class 4 schools typically struggle in sectionals against private schools. Farmington would likely meet up with some of the most prestigious programs in the state in their sectional, including St. Joseph's Academy. St. Joseph's Academy is currently ranked first in Class 4.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Oct 21, 2009, at 4:21 PM
  • Sikeston is also included in the Class 4 district at Jackson.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Oct 21, 2009, at 4:22 PM
  • This topic needs to be revived. Too much attention is being devoted to Class 1. Shall we give predictions about who will win the following districts in Southeast Missouri in Classes 2 and 3?

Drawmules, looking forward to your analyses/breakdowns in each of these!

Class 2 District 1

Host: Senath-Hornersville High School

1) Senath-Hornersville

2) Twin Rivers (Broseley)

3) Malden

4) Caruthersville

5) Portageville

6) Hayti

My prediction: Senath-Hornersville over Twin Rivers in three sets.

Class 2 District 2

Host: Bloomfield High School

1) Scott City

2) Bloomfield

3) Puxico

4) Clearwater (Piedmont)

5) Woodland (Marble Hill)

6) Greenville

7) Charleston

My prediction: Scott City over Bloomfield in two sets.

Class 3 District 1

Host: Dexter High School

1) Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau)

2) Dexter

3) Fredericktown

4) Kennett

5) New Madrid County Central

6) Doniphan

My prediction: Notre Dame over Dexter in two sets.

Class 3 District 2

Host: DeSoto High School

1) DeSoto

2) Perryville

3) Ste. Genevieve

4) Festus

5) Park Hills Central

6) Potosi

7) North St. Francois County (Bonne Terre)

My prediction: DeSoto over Ste. Genevieve in two sets.

We'll go ahead and do Class 4, too.

Class 4 District 1

Host: Jackson High School

1) Jackson

2) Farmington

3) Cape Central

4) Poplar Bluff

5) Hillsboro

6) Sikeston

My prediction: Jackson over Farmington in three sets.

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 7:59 PM
  • Class 2 District 1:

I have know idea. It might be the weakest district in the entire state in any class.

Class 2 District 2:

I like Scott City. I also like Bloomfield. Puxico is probably screaming at their computers that they have a win against Bloomfield. But I will take Scott City over Bloomfield at Bloomfield.

Class 3 District 1:

Notre Dame. No explanation needed.

Class 3 District 2:

One of the most exciting districts in Southeast Missouri. DeSoto is the favorite to beat everybody. Perryville and St. Gen. are both very talented. I am unsure which one of these teams will play DeSoto in the finals.

Class 4 District 1:

I like Farmington in this district. I like the Class 4 private schools in the sectional.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 10:01 PM
  • Love your assessments, drawmules. I wish we weren't the only two volleyball fanatics on here discussing this, but oh well.

Agree about Class 2 District 1. That is a pretty weak district. Since I don't know much about those Bootheel teams, I'll refer to their performance in the SEMO Classics of which they were all apart except Hayti. So Senath-Hornersville and Caruthersville made it to the Silver Bracket, and Senath defeated Caruthersville in the first round but then lost to Notre Dame-St. Louis whereas Caruthersville made it all the way to consolation championship where they fell to Zalma. I have Malden, Portageville and Twin Rivers advanced to the Bronze Bracket. Twin Rivers was ousted in the first game by Puxico, as was Portageville by Jackson's JV team. Malden defeated New Madrid County Central in the first round of Bronze Bracket and then fell to Calvary Lutheran. Since I don't know much about these teams, I'll go with the seedings and stick with my prediction that Senath-Hornersville will win over Twin Rivers but it will probably go three sets.

Class 2 District 2 features the best team in the state, Scott City. They will win the district but whether they play Bloomfield or Puxico will be a tossup, but given the way Bloomfield has been playing lately, I'm sure they will play Scott City in the championship round. Scott City is a powerhouse this year and they have some impressive players in Brooke Simpson, Katie Hogan and Stephanie Essner. They do a lot of college moves like quick sets and swings that I'm sure throws off a lot of teams, but Bloomfield is good at the net especially at blocking so they may give Scott City a run for their money, but nevertheless, Scott City is the favorite.

Class 3 District 1 will be smooth sailing for Notre Dame, another state-ranked team. Enough said.

Class 3 District 2 will be interesting. I haven't seen DeSoto play this year but their record speaks for itself and indicates that they are a force to be reckoned with. I briefly saw Perryville play in the SEMO Classics, where they made it to the Gold Bracket and defeated Park Hills Central (in three sets) before falling to Lebanon (also in three sets). Haven't seen Ste. Genevieve play but they're usually pretty good in volleyball, and given their performance in the MAAA Tournament, I have them upsetting Perryville before falling to DeSoto in the championship round.

As for Class 4 District 1, haven't seen any of these teams all year but I may want to retract my prediction about Jackson. They are a good team this year but they fell to Class 1 Leopold (in three sets). I'm sticking with the seeds since I don't know much about these teams and have Jackson over Farmington (who also fell to another state-ranked team in Class 1, Bismarck) but I'll agree with drawmules's prediction that the Class 4 private schools will probably dominate in Sectionals.

Regardless, best of luck to ALL teams!!!

-- Posted by Kitty Purry on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 12:15 AM
  • Comments on Class 2 & 3.....Scott City is the obvious favorite. St. Pius has one good hitter but outside of her they are not that strong. St. Vincent played them to 3 very close games winning one and then losing the third game 26-28. Don't count out SV.

Desoto is the best HS VB team that I've seen this season. Comparable to Scott City. They should be able to get by Notre Dame and on to KC.

-- Posted by 24hrsports on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 8:03 AM
  • 3A I hate to burst SEMO area volleyball players bubble, but Rosati Kain out of STL will win this Secitonal with easy. Desoto and CapeND will not have a chance.

-- Posted by semovolleyball on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 12:01 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: