High School Football Forum: Goodbye, Rams

Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 6:37 AM:

While I hate to see the Rams go, I was opposed to using public funds to build the new stadium, especially when we still owe money on the Dome. St. Louis signed a crummy stadium deal to begin with, and I had a huge problem being held hostage by a greedy billionaire. It will be a long time before St. Louis sees another NFL team.

Replies (32)

• Agree. City of St. Louis deserves their fair share of the blame here, too. Bogey Man I'll go farther and say I would be stunned if there is ever another team in St. Louis, at least in my lifetime.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:31 AM
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see St. Louis try and get another team like Jacksonville. But as long as the Cardinals don't leave, I really don't care.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:45 AM

I'll continue to root for Kony and the Panthers!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 9:16 AM
  • St Loo is not to blame for being saddled with the two most greedy owners in the history of sports. Kroenke bought the Rams so he could build a palace out in LA, he never had any intention of staying from day 1. It has nothing to do with the team being successful out in LA. All he is concerned about is his image and having the biggest venue in the biggest market, team success is down at the bottom of his bucket list.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 9:44 AM
  • It's all about the almighty dollar. That team has little value in the declining city of St. Louis. But in LA its value will skyrocket. It has nothing to do with wins and losses. It's business.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 9:48 AM
  • Cleveland, detroit, cincinnati, new orleans, etc all in decline. Yet their owners have at least 1% loyalty to their community unlike Stan and Bidwill. St loo not at fault in the least.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 9:57 AM
  • All those cities have longstanding franchises that have deep loyalties and a rabid fanbase.

Kroenke is a Missourian so it's kind of surprising he would uproot a team out of St. Louis, but when you can turn a billion dollars into 10 billion dollars (or whatever) who am I to argue.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 10:15 AM
  • Kroenke is a Kroenkian with loyalty only to his bankroll. He'd put a team in N Korea if it boosted his image somehow

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 10:23 AM
  • Sounds to me like smart business move on his part. Why would he not want to make more money.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 10:29 AM

Go Pack Go!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 10:32 AM
  • IF Kroenke was worried about his image, why would he want to be the most hated man in Missouri? He is only worried about money. PERIOD. And what will all of that money buy him in the end? NOTHING. But Missourians will hate him forever. Smart business move? YES. Smart move for his legacy? NO.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 11:47 AM
  • BTW - I read this morning that the new Inglewood Stadium will be totally privately finance. Why was that not an option in St. Louis and why was state and local funding necessary?

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 11:49 AM
  • Unfortunately I have been one of the supporters through thick and thin. Their glory years were celebrated by my family and friends every Sunday through the playoffs. However, they have been hard to watch the last 10 years or so. Just horrible football. The tailgating was the highlight of the day. I have to agree this a smart business move on Kroenke's part but there will be a long line of people waiting to p*** on his grave when he's gone. Can't make myself root for the Browns or Chiefs. Might have to go with Kony's Panthers.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 11:51 AM
  • Stayed warm by the fire last night burning my Rams crap and PSL. Lets see how fun it is in a couple of years when LA fans do what LA fans do and go to the beach on Sundays. Great big empty stadium so Kroenke can sit anywhere he wants. Now if we could get him to move out of Columbia and stop stinking up the place with his father-in-laws money.

-- Posted by watchitall on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 12:09 PM
  • When people like Kroenke get to the state of mind that greed produces, they dont care if mere people like them or not. He doesnt care about people anymore. He cares about building idols to himself much like the old Roman Caesars had monuments and statues built for themselves BEFORE they even died. Dont kid yourselves that he's concerned about fellow human beings, he's as narcissistic as Hitler or Stalin or any other historical egotistical greedy morons. It just so happens that NFL owners for the most part fall into this category of humanity.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 12:22 PM
  • the jags or raiders will come to stl and san Antonio respectively jst give it a few yrs

-- Posted by cvilletger on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 12:47 PM

Someone will go internationally before they come to STL. The Raiders already said they have no desire to move to STL.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 12:49 PM
  • Had my heart tore out twice by N.F.L. I may never watch a game again. Why is the general rule that a stadium will attract fans and not the teams performance on the field? A true miracle that the Packers can draw any fans in an old stadium like Lambeau. Lol Tired of investing my time and loyalty to a greedy league of butt wipes.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 12:52 PM
  • Kroenke showed his true colors, but St. Louis needs to realize "both" of the city's NFL teams had moved to St. Louis, first from Chicago (Cardinals), then later, the Rams (from L.A.). Unfortunately, this is just normal procedure!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 1:08 PM
  • Go Chiefs!!!!!!

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 2:00 PM
  • This morning on "Mike & Mike" they had some dude from NFL Office trying to sell the idea that this was NOT a good business move by Kroenke...a fair business move at best. He said Stan didn't do this because he's greedy. I buy that as much as when Enos Stan Kroenke said, "People have no idea how hard of a decision this has been for me. After all, I'm named after Enos Slaughter and Stan Musial." In his next breath he says, "This has been in the planning stages since 2002." Does he think we're too dumb to remember something he says just a few minutes, prior?

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:22 PM
  • You guys are delusional. The St. Louis stadium was a dump in 95 when they stole the LA Rams with a deal they couldn't refuse. Stl was lucky to keep them for twenty years and better be happy Warner fell in their lap. Can't blame owner now that he wants out

-- Posted by footballjunkie on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:57 PM
  • BTW Go Chiefs!

-- Posted by footballjunkie on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 8:58 PM
  • It is a good business move for Kroenke and the NFL for about 5 years. It won't take LA long to see how bad the Rams really are. Moving to LA does not mean that Keenum/Foles become a franchise QB. Also does not mean their offensive line gets any better. And lastly, does not mean that Jeff Fisher deserves to coach in the NFL any longer. It just doesn't.

You can slice it however you want to. The Rams will play in the colosseum for a couple years until this billion dollar play pen is built. The Rams will not get better. Kroenke has no desire to. Look at his track record, owns the Nuggets and Avalanche both below average teams. Who barely can sniff the playoffs.

Yeah this play pen will bring in money. But after 2 years of being open, they will regret the move. The Rams will be bad. LA doesn't like bad teams. They will stop going to games and Kroenke will be dealt the same hand he was in Stl. A half empty stadium.

With a below average team, the LA market is not the one you want to be trying to enter. Kroenke is worth 7.7 billion dollars so he doesn't really care. But if you do the numbers, there is more to lose then there is to gain.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 11:40 PM
  • He. Doesnt. Care.

Folks he's not in the same state of mind as 99.99% of humanity. He only cares about having the biggest toy on the biggest stage. The only victory he cares about is having the most and shiniest stuff. The records of his franchises mean little to him. Its delusional to blame st loo for him leaving. The city coodnt have done a thing to satisfy his megalomania.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 12:14 AM
  • Besides the fact that is estimated that the value of the franchise doubled overnight.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:10 AM
  • You're right, he doesn't care. But right there in lies the problem.

Whenever he has a half empty stadium in year 2 of the new stadium, he'll care. Because he will be in the same situation as he just was. Expect this time, LA will be forcing him and the Rams out.

-- Posted by Squeak on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 8:48 AM
  • He doesnt care about attendance. First of all st loo fans coodve sold out every game for the past dozen years and it woodnt have mattered, Kroenke had already moved to LA in 2002. Secondly, the Rams and Chargers are just a secondary tenant in his new play toy. He already makes a hefty profit off the NFL regardless of attendance. All owners are guaranteed profit BEFORE one ticket is sold each season. Kroenke DOESNT CARE about any of his franchises being successful, he gets off in a big way over just the image of owning more toys than the next billionaire. Think of his franchises as big game trophies hanging over his fireplace. Dead, but on display for all the world to see.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 9:37 AM
  • Yet, in LA Times interview yesterday, he had the gall to say he could no longer go on in St. Louis being a victim!!! Can you believe that statement??

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 12:07 PM
  • The last thing St Louis needs is an owner who "doesn't" want to be there!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 14, 2016, at 6:25 PM
  • I left California in 1994 and thought I was done with the Lambs only to be followed the very next year all I see here is a bunch of belly aching from so called fans that have thrown the Rams under the bus many times just face facts you are all going to save money by not having to spend you hard earned cash on tickets to see them lose on a regular basis and St. Louis has some of the best fans in Sports so just thank the gods that the Cardinals have a great owner that does Care about how he is looked at by the public GO STEELERS

-- Posted by USMC VET on Fri, Jan 15, 2016, at 10:55 PM
  • Now we know why the NFL wouldn't let Rush buy the Rams. He would have kept them in St Louis. The NFL wanted the Rams in LA all along.

-- Posted by Arcola on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 8:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: