High School Football Forum: Meanwhile on the west side of the state.....

Posted by Arcola on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 9:13 AM:

Lamar dismantles class 4 Carl Junction to win their first outright BiG 8 conference football title since 1932.

Replies (113)

• Long live the Spinner

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 9:42 AM
  • A class 4 team that is ranked #2 in state!

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 10:06 AM
  • There's your sign!

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 10:39 AM
  • How many class two championshipsdo you have to win before you figure out something's crazy over there ?

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 10:40 AM
  • That score was a bit misleading. The final score could easily have been 77-21. Lamar mishandled a handoff and fumbled at the CJ 3 yardline. They also had two long td runs called back. Both drives resulted in punts. CJ scored two late tds after Lamar had taken a 56-21 turbo lead. And this is supposed to be Lamar's rebuilding year for next year.

-- Posted by Lifelong Tiger on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 11:36 AM

Class 2 will be a cake walk for Lamar.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 12:12 PM
  • Always is, isn't it?

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 1:21 PM
  • They could easily beat the class 3 champions every year also

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 3:34 PM
  • Wish Lamar and Valle were playing this year instead of next. Think this year's Valle team would give them a game!

-- Posted by cruzin on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 5:43 PM
  • Nope

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 5:49 PM

Sorry but Valle would get handled by Lamar. They will see first hand next season. Lamar is unreal.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 6:38 PM
  • Not even close

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 6:38 PM
  • I agree that Lamar will beat them next year. But this year, not so sure. They are losing a lot of seniors this year. No one gives Valle credit. Yet they continue to get to the dome every year. Until they lose, which they prob will to Lamar NEXT year, they're still the top dog in this area. Numbers don't lie. Don't see another team from this area getting there. Before listening to Ste Gen' s game last night I thought they may make a run, but wasn't convinced with their win last night. So much was made of their win over Park Hills, but Park Hills is really down this year. Farmington proved that last night.

-- Posted by cruzin on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 8:51 PM
  • I know Valle is good. But you could have played them the last four years and I'm afraid it would have been a turbo clock! I'm pretty sure Lamar could beat the class 3 champion and probably go to the dome in the class 4

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 9:34 PM
  • Orrrr, you could say Farmington proved they were a much better team than people thought, but whatever makes you happy.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 9:37 PM
  • You're right Farmtown. Farmington is a HECK a lot better than people thought. Not taking that away from them. Happy they won! I strongly believe in giving credit where credits due. I haven't seen Lamar this year. Just seen Valle and don't see no weaknesses there. Hope Lamar goes all the way!

-- Posted by cruzin on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 9:45 PM
  • What is one thing that Valle has been good at the last 7 years they've been extremely good? Oh that's right, stopping the run game. To say Valle/Lamar would be a blowout is ridiculous.

Couple years ago, Valle played Concordia at home who averaged 500 yards a game on the ground. Anyone remember how many they had that game against Valle? I'll remind you, under 100 and didn't score a TD while averaging 50+ points a game.

Say what you want, but Valle is the real deal and can beat anyone in Semo and they would definitely give Lamar all they could handle if not beat them.

Will they win next year? I have no idea because no one has seen either of next years team play. But the last couple years, yes they could've won.

And I'm not even that big of a Valle supporter but I know a good team when I see one.

-- Posted by Squeak on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 10:40 PM
  • Valle has a hell of a quarterback too. Broke state record at state last year as a junior and his sophomore year also broke the state record at state NOT playing quarterback. Not sure what position he was his sophomore year but remember he broke records up there. Now tell me another kid around here that had, or could, do that. Everyone thinks the Bridges kid is the best quarterback in the area,my pick is the Basler kid.

-- Posted by cruzin on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 11:14 PM
  • It doesn't matter what the topic is you Valle people always want to make it about you

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Sat, Oct 17, 2015, at 11:36 PM
  • Valle loses the game against Lamar next year. This year may of been a different story. Most likely would of been a heck of a game to attend. Fans would come out of the wood work for it. I personally would like to see them play Malden

-- Posted by Observer24 on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 1:20 AM
  • Lamar is no lock in bearing a state champ division 3. Maybe they forgot about the powerhouse division 2 team before them?

Maryville was winning division 2/titles before moving to division 3 and winning them.

Lamar is great but maryville was Lamar before Lamar.

-- Posted by NCFan on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 1:21 AM
  • I'm a Lamar fan. The comments that some of you make on this site are hilarious, to say the least. How many of you have seen Lamar play this year? Or Maryville? Or even Valle? Who knows who could beat who, and by how much? All are very good programs.

I would like to commend Valle on accepting the challenge from Lamar and playing for the next two years. Lamar also asked Maryville, but was turned down. It is much better to play against competition that is capable of beating you than to play against teams that you have turboed by halftime. It will only make Lamar and Valle better.

I'm hoping that Valle and Lamar are rated No. 1 in their respective classes when we meet next year. It will only add to the excitement. When we played Carl Junction Friday night, the atmosphere was electric. You don't get that every game. Even though Carl Junction was probably not the 2nd best team in Class 4, they are a very good team. Noone had come within 32 points of them so far this year and Lamar destroyed them. The game was not as close as the final score indicated. It would be great if every Friday night was like that but, I don't think the boys could handle that. They were all worn out, leaving everything on the field.

So, again, thank you to Valle for taking the game. If you want to see high school football at its best, all of you should make an effort to see this game. The atmosphere should be amazing.

-- Posted by Lifelong Tiger on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 9:13 AM
  • Where is next years game at?

-- Posted by 1MIZZOU on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 9:25 AM
  • It is going to be at a neutral site to be determined.

-- Posted by Lifelong Tiger on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 10:06 AM
  • I believe the game will be played week 7 on a Saturday afternoon at Lebanon.

-- Posted by Prepcasts Ste. Genevieve on Sun, Oct 18, 2015, at 11:35 AM

Lamar played Maryville during the first year of our climb back in 2009. They won 21-7, I believe. That was before we really had our ducks in a row. For some reason, they don't want any part of us, now. The phone rang all across the state and the ONLY team to answer was Valle and a school from Kansas. That means, Liberty MV, Mountain Grove,Malden, Cville, etc. etc. didn't return the call.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 4:50 PM
  • Maybe if you move up a class where you belong you might get a few more takers! Lol

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:16 PM
  • I am kind of surprised C'ville didn't at least call back. They play Liberty and Ste. Gen along with their district and conference schedule, so they would not be 'afraid' to play a tough school.

I think Malden won't be in the conversation next year. That is probably why they didn't answer. Lamar soundly handled the best team Malden ever had last year. This year's team is good by SEMO standards, but won't be a threat state wide.

-- Posted by Pigeon Toe on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:17 PM
  • Move up a class where we belong?? LOL Hate to tell you, but we would probably drop a class if anything. Thorco, another employer, continues to let people go and there isn't anyone coming to town to replace those jobs.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:37 PM
  • Doesn't Lamar just get in under the wire for students from moving up a class? I know for some reason you have more kids on your football team then a lot of schools in this area have males in school.

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:47 PM
  • I just think there's something crazy going on over there that we don't know about! lol

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:48 PM

Caruthersville added Valle as well next year. Won't be playing MVL. I think the main reason they wouldn't schedule Lamar is the long road games. They've have done some traveling the last several years with playing Liberty and SG. Not to mention traveling to Lamar so I'm sure they've had their fair share of traveling. Its not like they're avoiding tough games. They did just add Valle.

My question is why would Lamar want to schedule any team in Semo? They'd get better competition from those teams in SWMO with less travel. Even Valle will fall victim to the machine that is Lamar.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 5:54 PM
  • Oldschool I'm thinking it's because we them all organic non-GMO corn!! ;) JK... just a little "Farm" humor.

I've often wondered what exactly set us apart from the rest. So many teams would love to have one state championship ring. I think it's a combination of a great coach and staff, hard work and dedication from the kids, and cooperative parents that let the coach do his job. A smaller school near us claim they want to turn their program around yet the boys complain about morning weights in the summer which start at 9am.....our boys are done and gone well.before that. They lack.dedication of even going faithfully and parents harass the coach if little Jonny doesn't play.That doesn't happen here. There are boys who are eager to take that spot. People say we recruit which is hilarious to us because there are no jobs to draw them in. I do know that pride in our school has improved greatly and they know hardworking pays off.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 8:16 PM
  • Or maybe, just maybe, they have quite a few more athletes to choose from then most class 2 schools!

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 9:15 PM
  • I agree with lhs" hard work and dedication "if you get everyone to buy in and cooperate great things will come.just imagine if close to every male in your school wanted to play and would buy in.i think of all the athletes walking the halls of malden ,Hayti ,caruthersville,kennett etc.that never play

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 9:28 PM
  • What's the participation rate? The reason I ask I see a lot of kids that I wish was playing football at Malden in the stands.

-- Posted by Maldenguest on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 9:29 PM
  • That's a question I don't know the answer to.

There are some that end up dropping out because it's a lot of hard work and there isn't a guarantee that you will get to play. The staff though does a fantastic job of making sure every kid feels like they are a valuable part of the team. Our team wouldn't be as good if our scout team wasn't as good. Every boy contributes and knows that they soon will vy for that varsity spot.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Mon, Oct 19, 2015, at 9:54 PM
  • Some people just don't understand. Kids "walking the halls" that don't play either have 2-3 Fs and/or no work ethic

-- Posted by footballjunkie on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 6:32 AM
  • Bleed I never said we were and am sorry if you took it that way. That comment simply is a way to include the whole team. Our scout team works hard and I simply meant that it helps the varsity when they are able to practice against them. I agree, we are a long way from Webb City and Valle and if you ask most Lamar fans they will say the same thing.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 7:47 AM
  • LHS,

Don't take anything these guys say personally. The true football fans should be interested in what Lamar is doing, just as they should be interested in what Valle does. Instead many on here choose just to bash those that find the way to be successful, even if its just for one year.

I'm a Valle fan, but also a high school football fan in general. I believe I speak for all Valle fans when I say we have the utmost respect for what Lamar has been able to accomplish these past few years, and I'm sure you'd say the same in return. I was pleased to hear when Malden fans came on here last year giving Lamar fans much praise. It's always comforting to know there's programs out there that can win often, but show class in doing it as well.

Don't listen to the recruiting or "you should be playing at a higher level" chatter. There are many on this site that bleed green, so to speak, and I don't mean that they're SG fans either.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 8:30 AM
  • LHS, I thought I heard that Lamar is loaded with Juniors this year. Is that true? Also, I forgot to tell you congrats on your Conf. Championship. I found it interesting last year when you guys were saying that you had never won that before. I'm sure the team is really enjoying that accomplishment. They'll still be enjoying it 10-20 yrs from now when they can say they were the first to do so, its something that will separate them from previous Lamar teams.

I wanted to ask too, prior to 2004, what kind of success did Lamar ever have? I thought a Lamar fan said your coach graduated from Lamar as well. If so, did he play on a winning team? Had he coached somewhere prior to Lamar?

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 8:39 AM
  • 14. Lamar - 115

Overall record: 76-52

Lamar lays claim to three consecutive state championship victories from 2011-13.

This was in a ten year period before the 2014 season I believe. They have really turned it up the last few years for sure.

Here is the link to the site....

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/8w-EfKYIQkanNEWA_84TJg/top-20-most-dominant-missour...

-- Posted by NCFan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 8:57 AM
  • LHS, Simpleminds is correct, your interest in SEMO football and willingness to provide some insight into your program should be commended and is appreciated by most. Additionally, regarding you scout team comment; you are correct. Generally, behind every really good team you will find a very hard-working, selfless (and often times not very talented) scout team. As you said, if a coach is able to convince the scout teamers that their job is paramount to the team's success on Friday nights, the team will probably see many victories throughout the season.

-- Posted by notgood on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 9:36 AM

The comments that include, "move up a class where you belong." reveal a lack of education that explains your ignorant post. Like it's a choice for us to play in Class 2. I can assure you, every person in this town would love for the population to increase so that we would have to move up. And, furthermore, why can't we compare ourselves to Webb or Valle. Those are to excellent PROGRAMS. You can't argue that our PROGRAM is not on the same level. Especially staring at your screen in SE Missouri. You don't have a clue what we do here and that's obvious.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 9:36 AM

The comments that include, "move up a class where you belong." reveal a lack of education that explains your ignorant post. Like it's a choice for us to play in Class 2. I can assure you, every person in this town would love for the population to increase so that we would have to move up. And, furthermore, why can't we compare ourselves to Webb or Valle. Those are to excellent PROGRAMS. You can't argue that our PROGRAM is not on the same level. Especially staring at your screen in SE Missouri. You don't have a clue what we do here and that's obvious.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 9:37 AM

Enjoy Basketball season

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 9:54 AM
  • LHS: Most, if not all, of the knowledgeable football fans around these parts respect the program that Lamar has built. Don't let the vocal minority of fools fool you into thinking anything else.

As for your program being compared to Valle, I respectfully suggest you be careful what you wish for! On this forum, that is not good company to keep!!!! You will be despised by many simply for the company you keep. Not by all, just the haters.

Sustained success not only builds programs, it also builds contempt. Get used to it. Looking forward to the Valle - Lamar matchup next year, but I wish it were this year instead! We are losing a very very good senior class.

Please scroll up to the questions posed by Simpleminds. I would be interested in your take as well. See ya in '16.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 10:13 AM
  • That turned ugly fast.

LHS do you have your own website for your area? I would like to read about your teams on the west side more.

I agree with you on the scout team too. NC had around 50 players on their 7th grade team. They had around 25 on the 8th grade team. The drop I think was due to the fact that the kids didn't get to play, didn't get to learn the plays and just didn't enjoy it. They did get to run with the starters though. lol

Take that into High School and if the same thing happens you lose the desire to practice or even be on the team.

NC 7th and 8th graders both went 5-1. The 7th grade won most of their games by a large margin. The second stringers got to get into the game with 4 minutes or less if they were lucky. When they were in the game finally they looked lost and confused due to the fact they didn't get to run the plays in practice hardly at all.

That is why a large school like NC goes from being a power house in the mid 90's early 2000's to a team that they are now.

I really like what the new coach is doing and I hope he can get the buy in from all the coaches and players from 7th grade on up. He seems to be adjusting to the High School game this year.

-- Posted by NCFan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 10:19 AM

QuitCryin, We don't have our own website. There is some chatter on the MoSports.com forum and on the SCA site, but the SCA site has been down for a while, now. Our roster contains approx. 17 Jrs, 14 Srs, 19 fr. and 19 soph. Yeah, I know that one numb skull doesn't represent SEMO as a whole. Bleed is just butt hurt because we put a beating on his team after he was thumpin his chest. I'll get some data about records prior to 2004.

Around this time of year, it starts to evolve into statewide Missouri football, instead of regional Missouri football. There are very few places that fans can have dialog and talk football. This is one of those places and the majority are reasonable, knowledgeable posters. As in all of the forums, you have a couple of S*it disturbers.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 10:59 AM
  • Whatever you do LHS, don't listen to Bleed and is ignorance. I can assure you that your input is welcome anytime. You give us a better look of what's going on over there. bottom line, don't say a school from ste gen would lose. These guys will drive you bonkers and won't let it go

-- Posted by Observer24 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 11:02 AM
  • Here's a question LHS, I realize you guys are very good. Is there anyone on the team that's a big standout? Any big college scholarship offers?

-- Posted by Observer24 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 11:05 AM
  • @LHSTigers81

I think Bleed Green is a Ste. Genevieve fan, not Malden.

-- Posted by Pigeon Toe on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 11:18 AM

Well, I'm officially an idiot, then. Hard to be butt hurt if we haven't played yet, huh? I'm good to start over if you are.

Observer24, too early to tell on college interests. We have had MoState here to watch some workouts, but other than that, I'm not aware of anything.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 11:44 AM
  • The furthest, I BELIEVE they had made it was 1988 and they lost in the quarterfinals. Coach Bailey did indeed graduate from here and currently has a nephew playing who is a freshman. As for big standouts, I have heard our kicker is being looked at but I don't know that for a fact. I wouldnt be surprised if a few others are probably being looked at as well. Former players who are now playing in college are Sam Bailey who is at MU. He was #2 on the depth chart and has played a little, Ben Bailey is at SIU in Carbondale, Jared Beshore is at MSU in Springfield and has played quite a bit, Landon Compton who is at MU Rolla at plays quite a bit. Brett McDonald is red shirted at PSU in Pittsburgh KS and Trip Tucker who is playing baseball at the same school. I know LHS81 can probably answer questions better than I can. Like they said we don't have our own board, nor does the Big8. I pretty much lurk at MO SPORTS and am also at the SCA. I just enjoy seeing what everyone has to say about their own teams as well as well as their views of us. I like the SCA Board and this one the best as I feel they stay true to high school football.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 12:01 PM
  • bleed is a dragons fan, not a valle fan. so any comments on him talking smack about valle or lamar I'd just ignore LHS. To be honest most valle fans are looking forward to the game next year and hold a tremendous amount of respect for Lamar and what they have accomplished.

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 12:04 PM
  • We are really looking forward to it as well! There is nothing like watching a good high school game. The boys get pumped, the crowd is excited and the the atmosphere is electric. I find its really hard for some people to stay classy on these boards, but for the most part we are all just proud of the boys.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 12:32 PM
  • LHSTigers81 don't judge the town of Ste Gen by the posts from Bleed. He has a lot of hatred towards Valle and that's a shame. I myself want both schools to succeed as do most Ste Genevieve fans, public or private. Just a shame a grown man has to come on here and spew his hate towards a school in his town. I am more a Valle fan, have been all my life but when they aren't playing, I want Ste Gen to win. I think Lamar is a great program, only wish they could of played this year. Valle will lose a lot. Says a lot for Valle playing them when they called, as I understand most schools wouldn't....

-- Posted by cruzin on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 12:53 PM
  • Bleed was the hunting not very good or are you just bi-polar?

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 1:22 PM
  • www.mshsaa.org/2014-16enrollmentverification.aspx

2014 enrollment numbers in the link above.

Standard Enrollment Breaks for 2010-11 and 2011-2012

Class 1 119 and below

Class 2 120 - 227

Class 3 228 - 568

Class 4 569 - 1174

Class 5 1175 and above

Cardinal Ritter

Springfield Catholic St. Louis 443

Orchard Farm Springfield 441

California St. Charles 433

Herculaneum California 429

Hollister Herculaneum 428

Lutheran (St. Peters) Hollister 426

Southwest Early College Campus St. Peters 423

Macon Kansas CIty 422

Hallsville Macon 421

Liberty (Mountain View) Hallsville 420

Strafford Mountain View 409

Centralia Strafford 408

Forsyth Centralia 406

Knob Noster Forsyth 406

Montgomery County Knob Noster 402

Lawson Montgomery City 400

Whitfield Lawson 398

Carnahan St. Louis 395

Trenton St. Louis 393

Cuba Trenton 389

Warsaw Cuba 388

Lamar Warsaw 387

Arcadia Valley Lamar 386

Blair Oaks Ironton 384

Construction Careers Charter Jefferson City 384

Hermann St. Louis 378

Christian Hermann 378

Houston O'Fallon 366

El Dorado Springs Houston 364

Fatima El Dorado Springs 363

Principia Westphalia 359

Scott City St. Louis 357

Fair Grove Scott City 357

St. Pius X (Festus) Fair Grove 352

Grandview (Hillsboro) Festus 349

Hogan Prep Charter Hillsboro 348

Willow Springs Kansas City 348

Transportation and Law Willow Springs 346

Caruthersville St. Louis 344

Palmyra Caruthersville 340

Clark County Palmyra 337

Clearwater Kahoka 330

Lafayette County Piedmont 330

Maplewood-Richmond Heights Higginsville 330

Dixon Maplewood 328

Stockton Dixon 325

Butler Stockton 322

Charleston Butler 318

Lift for Life Academy Charter Charleston 318

Lathrop St. Louis 318

Bishop LeBlond Lathrop 317

Brookfield St. Joseph 314

Lexington Brookfield 309

Carrollton Lexington 307

Malden Carrollton 304

Barat Academy Malden 303

Crystal City O'Fallon 302

Kelly Crystal City 301

Highland Benton 301

Bourbon Ewing 300

Diamond Bourbon 299

West County Diamond 299

Metro Park Hills 299

Twin Rivers St. Louis 297

Monroe City Broseley 290

Steelville Monroe City 288

Blue Eye Steelville 288

East Prairie Blue Eye 284

Licking East Prairie 282

Conway Licking 275

Valley Park Conway 273

Sherwood Valley Park 273

Cole Camp Creighton 272

Woodland Cole Camp 270

Kingston Marble Hill 269

South Callaway Cadet 268

Brentwood Mokane 268

Ash Grove Brentwood 267

Sarcoxie Ash Grove 266

Lee's Summit Community Christian Sarcoxie 266

Saxony Lutheran Lee's Summit 265

Seymour Cape Girardeau 265

Seymour

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 2:03 PM
  • Should've used a rage

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 2:03 PM
  • Something went wrong with the cut and paste above. Link is the best bet here.

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 2:07 PM
  • Dang Bleed, I didn't read all of this but play nice at least a little.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 4:36 PM
  • Lamar has become a great program. In a few more seasons, I believe we will be talking about them in the same class with Webb City and Valle.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 20, 2015, at 8:03 PM

Win/loss record from 1990 - 2000 - 56 wins, 54 losses

Win/loss record for 2001 - 5 wins, 5 losses

Win/Loss record for 2002-2003 10 wins, 11 losses

Win/loss record for 2004-2005 2 wins, 18 losses

Coach Bailey - 2006 - present 94 Wins, 36 losses

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 9:15 AM
  • Thanks LHS for those numbers. I find it impressive that Coach Bailey looks to have come from a .500 era as a player to a championship/dynasty-caliber coach. That speaks volumes for him and what he and his staff has done for all those young men. Very impressive!!!

I also liked what LHSfan said earlier, "The staff though does a fantastic job of making sure every kid feels like they are a valuable part of the team." You don't have that philosophy at many schools. I'm gonna say that philosophy should be at every C1-C3 school. There are many young men who don't amount to much until their senior yr, but if they've been given the proper attention, coaching, and mentoring fr. 7th-11th grade, plus been allowed to play, make mistakes, and learn fr those mistakes....then those kids will make valuable seniors and teammates. I have witnessed Coach Naeger and his staff accomplish the same at Valle.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 9:48 AM
  • Yeah and they've also ordered in Coach Pitino's srippers before too, at the 8am school Masses.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:16 AM
  • I do NOT have a dog in this. I have seen Lamar. .....Lamar plays hardnosed, fundamental football. They have a bunch of blue collar kids that just flat get it down on most every down.

-- Posted by littlechief on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:18 AM
  • Hell Valle should lose to Lamar they only have 120 kids in their school and half of them are girls. Whats Lamar numbers? If Lamar loses they should feel pretty **** bad. I have seen both play and both schools play fundamental football. Why do people insist on pitting smaller schools against larger? Lets see Lamar step out on the field against Webb City! See even that sounds stupid but someone will say Lamar could play with Webb. The only way that happens is Webb forgets to make it to the game. They Turbo clock Lamar every time. Who cares all of them are great in their class. And yes Valle is very good this year and no they could not compete with Lamar. Lamar is great this year and they would not compete against Webb. Maybe that's why we have classifications. Win your class and let the guys setting in the stands talk about what if. Though I do remember 1992 when Valle won the state class 1 championship. Plus they gave class 2 state champs John Burroughs there only loss for the season and gave the class 3 state champs Ste. Genevieve there only loss. So I guess that means in 1992 Valle was the Class 1,2,and 3 state champs.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:39 AM
  • Sure does sound like you are accusing, Bleed. If you weren't, why bring up the topic?

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:47 AM
  • Bearcat fan I don't know what Lamars numbers are but I'm pretty sure there a larger class 2 school... For whatever it's worth I heard they were about 15 students from being a class 3. That could just be a rumor I'm not sure

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:52 AM
  • Lamar currently has 404 students and the cutoff for C2-3 was 419 for the past 2 yrs. Preliminary numbers show Lamar at 400 for the next cycle.

Bearcat, Valle didn't play JB the yr Valle and SG both won state.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:03 PM
  • **Disclaimer- semi arrogant WC comment**

PMF... It will take more than a few seasons for anyone, including Lamar to be in the company of WC or Valle. They are an outstanding program no doubt. When they have winning percentage over 90% spanning 25 seasons have them give me a call.

-- Posted by mazz on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:08 PM
  • Mazz please know a majority of Lamar fans never even bring that topic up. We have great respect for both programs and know we are a long ways away from being a dynasty.

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:15 PM
  • That's funny. I was curious to know the relationship between the Lamar and WC fans. I'm sure like most, there are many that respect each other and others that talk dirt about the other.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:29 PM
  • I, nor any of our friends have ever encountered a WC fan who treated us badly. In fact, just the opposite. I know a lot of fans have made sure and watched both championship games. Some might know this but Coach Rodrique and coach Bailey played college ball together at Pitt State in Pittsburg KS

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:53 PM
  • Hmm for some reason I thought they played JB. My bad. I guess then just the class 1 & 3 state champs!!

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:55 PM
  • Wow, Lamar is at the top of class 2 ..That's about twice as many as most 2 A schools in Semo! They have a lot better chance of putting a competitive team out there every year with a class like that .

-- Posted by Oldschool15 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 1:24 PM
  • No trash talking here. Lamar's run in the last 4-5 years takes a back seat to no one, including WC. Realitivly speaking both are equally impressive IMO. WC has just been playing at an extremely high level for a long time. That was my only point.

The hypothetical conversation of if Lamar could play WC does not bother me. I do not think Lamar would get embarrassed like some think. They are well coached, run the ball, and play defense. that gives them a shot at whom ever they play. By the numbers WC should not beat Rock or Har-Ber either!

LHSTigerFan and most all other Lamar posters I have come across on message boards are good dudes it seems like. Ironically it is the fans I have meet in real life that have soured my opinion lol.

FWIW I have been at the dome sitting with the Lamar faithful, cheering them on since 11.

-- Posted by mazz on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 1:46 PM

BearCat,

One, Valle approached Lamar, Lamar didn't approach Valle. Lamar had 2 spots to fill and we were happy to oblige. Lamar has nothing to gain from it other than playing a game against a respected opponent.

Two, Webb has no reason to play Lamar and the issue has never been brought up. Webb tries to schedule up when possible. I can promise you this, Lamar's kids wouldn't shy away from it and I think you'd be surprised how competitive it might be.

By the way, Lamar used to play Webb City.

Overall win/loss Lamar 24 Webb 22

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 1:47 PM
  • Lamar will be the first "elite" team Valley has played in years. Oughtta be interesting...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 2:17 PM
  • *Valle

What is considered elite? Penny was pretty darn good and won several state titles. That's not elite?

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 2:45 PM
  • Nope

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 2:49 PM
  • The rivalry of Lamar and Webb City goes so deep that when Lamar went to the dome the first time, Webb team met Lamar team down in the lobby of the hotel and spoke to them about what to expect etc.

They wont ever play in our lifetime.

Before Lamar got with the program, it was very beneficial to be at team camps, etc with a winning program (Webb) so the team could see what the commitment could bring.

Another aspect to remember is the seniors on these Webb, Lamar, Valle teams have played allot more football than everyone else in the state. 4 yrs going all the way. Surely someone will throw the percentage out here.

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 2:50 PM
  • Technically speaking, there are probably only about 10-15 "elite" programs in the state over the past 10-20 yrs. And I'd be willing to bet most coaches and media members would include Penny into that "elite" group.

So with that in mind Ciri (over the past 10-20 yrs), who in the SE corner of the state would you also include in that group? Or do you think media and other coaches would include?

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 3:28 PM
  • Thats my point. Valle is crowned King of Semo cuz they run up an undefeated record by playing 98% of their sched vs Class 1-2 teams. They are the Kings of small school football only, in my book. Now if they start beating teams of Lamar caliber on a yearly basis then they can be crowned the tops in Class 2 also. Right now they have only proven to be tops in Class 1 due to their schedule. So since they havnt sched or beaten any elite teams lately like a Lamar, they have no business being rated above teams like Jaxon, Cape, Bluff. Kinda ludicrous.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 4:09 PM
  • Ciri, 3 of Valle's 9 games this year were against Class 3 opponents. Apparently you think Ste Gen is a cupcake too?

The three teams on Valle's non-conf schedule were Class 3 Ste Gen, Class 3 Potosi, and Class 1 Westran who has been very good the last 5 years.

Your post was "kinda ludicrous".

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 4:26 PM
  • Again, name me your elite teams in SE Mo corner that they should've been playing in your opinion. Let's have an educated conversation here.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 4:56 PM
  • Ok. They will end up 14-0 or so. 3 games in class 3, two of which were noncompetitive. So i will change the % to 90% instead of 98%. My bad. I have crowned them kings of class 1, congrats! Thats still quite an accomplishment. Sched and beat teams like Lamar every year and they can up it to Class 2. But as weak as Semo football is, theyve not earned the top rank in Semo.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 5:06 PM
  • Simpleminds there are no elite teams class 2 and above in SEMO. Cape and Jaxon play elite teams like Battle and Chaminade. There are no schools like that around here. So good to see Valle up against a true power finally next year vs Lamar. If they trounce Lamar, they can lay claim to best in Class 2. Congrats.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 5:12 PM
  • Ciri, Im guessing Valle could beat Mizzou on Saturday and the Rams on Sunday and it still wouldn't be good enough. You would likely contend that they need to beat more elite teams like Alabama and New England if they want to be ranked on your board.

No worries, your entitled to your opinion.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 6:16 PM
  • Holy schnikeys Crybaby, how didya come up with that? I read and reread my posts and you are definitely in another universe haha!! I gave kudos to wonderful Valley for dominating the always imposing realm of Class 1 football, the next step up from 8 man football. Be happy with that, man!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 7:22 PM
  • We can fix this really easy. Ciri, have your team's coach call Valle and schedule them next year. This will solve your idiotic remarks.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 7:50 PM
  • Ciri, let's talk about your team since mine obviously doesn't impress you. Who is it? Your record? How many games do they play up in class? Who are their elite opponents?

Not trying to be an ***, just curious who you root for on Friday night an how you rate them.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 8:05 PM
  • -- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • Ciri, so you're saying Battle and Chaminade are elite programs over the past 10+ yrs? You do know Battle is only in their 3rd year of football right? And Chaminade's record since 2004 is 69-53 with their furthest playoff run being 1 quarterfinal game. I really wouldn't consider that elite either. Now their basketball program might be in that discussion though.

Come on man, I thought this was gonna be a good discussion. I've had better football talk with parents fr Grandview HS.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 8:17 PM
  • Great article LHS. I can see why his players give him their all each day. And I'm sure because of his teachings, many of them will find success beyond the football field.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 8:23 PM
  • Ur rite simple i meant to say highly ranked large schools. By comparison, Jackson has played a much much much tougher sched than Valle, as well as Cape has. You should be proud of Valles Class 1 accomplishments. But its silly to think they would hang with a Cape or a Jackson.

Cry, my team is Sikeston. We also play a weak sched year in year out, like Valle. We got schooled by a highly ranked Class 2 Cardinal Ritter team last weekend. Our toughest teams we play are Bluff, Cape, and Jaxon. The rest of our sched is filled with class 3 teams. Ive never once posted we would beat Valle. So I dont know what ur angle is? My premise is that Valle, until they prove theyre good enough to beat a Lamar, a Cape, a Jaxon, should never be considered top dog in SEMO. They are top dog in Class 1 until they either figure out how to play Cape and Jax (they wont) OR recruit more kids to fill the school and move up to Class 4 or 5. Otherwise, the point is moot.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 10:04 PM
  • Perfectly said ciri!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:04 PM
  • Oh so what you're saying is that they couldn't beat any team class 4 or bigger?

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:17 PM
  • I think Ciri's argument that Valle couldn't play with Cape, Jackson, or Bluff, is short-sighted. Valle would trounce Class 6 Northwest or Class 5 Normandy or Class 4 Sikeston. Are we to conclude that just because Valle plays in a weak conference they shouldn't be ranked above Cape, Bluff, or Jackson? That simply doesn't follow. The last time I checked, the New England Patriots have played in a pretty weak conference for years. How many rings does Tom Brady have?

In the end, it all comes down to talent, coaching, and dedication. Valle has that in spades. They would give Bluff, Cape, or Jackson all they could handle and then some.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 12:25 AM
  • Ur patriots example isnt analogous at all. Brady, whilst playing in a weak division, has time after time after time beaten the big boys in the other divisions. Valley time after time after time has beaten the big boys in Class 1. Awesome, theyre numero uno in Class 1. Theyve beaten no big boys in the upper classes. Theyll never even get a CHANCE to play the upper class big boys. So theres no logical reason to place them ahead of Cape or Jackson in SEMO. They have a wonderful spotless 9-0 record. Totally illogical to automatically place record above obvious disparity in size, speed and talent. Again if thats the case, OSU and Brady will be playin in the Big Bowl this year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 1:13 AM
  • Now you're developing a better argument Ciri. I would think most educated people would agree that a team picking from a pool of 70 boys total should have little chance, in any sport, defeating a team that can pick from a pool of say Cape's (576 boys) or Jackson's (735 boys). Even despite Bogey's argument of how despicable of a group those public school boys are though.

Now I agree wholeheartedly that Jackson and Cape's schedules are much tougher than Valle's. That's a result of the size of school they are and the conference they're in. I've said this numerous times before, Valle was once in the MAAA with C3-4 teams and most Valle fans would like to see them return to that conference. And if you've read on another thread, the MAAA schools discussed getting the conference back together but 2-3 schools voted against it apparently. The big thing worth noting there though, was that they excluded Valle from their discussions. That doesn't look so good for those "big boy" schools that you talk so much about.

I think if you ask the coaches at Jackson and Cape they'd tell you that Valle could definitely "hang" with their teams in a contest. I know in recent years Valle's and Jackson's freshmen have played each other and I know Valle won at least one of those years. Again, we're talking about a class size of 20 boys to 184. Also most of Valle's kids don't start playing competitive football until 9th grade. Just last year did they start finding football games for their 7th and 8th graders.

BUT, I do get your point, and there is some validity to it. However, to imply that they can't compete with a Class 4-5 school is misguided. And lastly, Valle requires about 35 more students to even become a C2 school, with the multiplier. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 8:05 AM
  • Ciri, just so you know, you will never find a post where I claim Valle would beat Cape or Jackson head-to-head. It really isn't logical to assume they should. However, I also wouldn't count them out on any given Friday night.

Here is where I see the difference in our opinions:

Valle doesn't have a bad loss in years. They rarely have a squeaker win. They dominate football games. Against the best in Class 1, and good (and some not so good) teams in class 2 and 3.

Cape and Jackson can't say the same. Most of their opponents are the same class or one class removed. Neither have beat the Elite teams you mentioned. Each of them have had losses, or squeaked by, in a game against non-elite competition of similar size. Valle doesn't allow those teams (similar size/non-elite) to even stay close.

Maybe Valle doesn't beat Cape or Jackson or Bluff. But they are the only team in SEMO that finishes their business every Friday night. No stumbles. No excuses. They just win. And every single school they play is bigger than Valle's enrollment. I am confident if Cape, Jackson, or Bluff had the same resume they would be unanimously ranked #1 over Valle....deservedly so. But they don't.

I compare this in some ways to boxing. Its very hard to compare weight classes that don't, and shouldn't, go head-to-head.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 8:18 AM
  • I love how every topic ends with who can valle beat or not beat. WHO CARES!!!!!

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 8:36 AM
  • Forums aren't much fun without debate ESPN, and the fact is THAT is a popular debate 'round these parts. For better or for worse.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 9:13 AM
  • I agree with both of you simple and cry. I dont know where i said Valle couldnt beat a Class 4 or 5 team. If Class 2 Ritter can come to Sikes and completely dominate the Dawgz then it goes to say Valle would beat us too. Again, if Valle handles Lamar next year i will change my tune.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 9:31 AM
  • The game against Lamar should be a great game to watch. Win or Lose, it will be a heck of a lot better than watching a game that's 65-0 at half time. Gets to be kind of embarrassing.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 9:48 AM
  • Does anybody remember just a few years ago when both Cape and Jackson were 0-10 and 1-9? Is there anybody who seriously thinks Valle wouldn't have cleaned the gridiron with both of them?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 11:29 PM
  • So.....

What's happening on the west side?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 12:04 AM
  • The Valle Caruthersville game next year should be a competitive one Cville returns most of their team except Faulkner which will be a huge loss.

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 6:34 AM
  • One thing about Valle/Lamar the next couple of years will be how each program, I guarantee you, will take something away from the other to use.....whether it be in practices, drills, schemes, styles of motivating, etc. Each coach is unique but each sounds as humble and willing to learn from others as anyone. And I'd be willing to bet they prepare their kids that way. I know they'll both have the kids geared up ready to play, but afterwards, win or lose, both teams will have grown from playing against another "elite" program. I'd be willing to bet Webb City is that way as well.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 10:48 AM
  • ^^^^100 % agree^^^^

-- Posted by LHSTigerFan on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 10:55 AM
  • What's going on in the West side??

Just sitting here with my popcorn enjoying the show! It's nice to WC may not be the most hated program in the state after all. Carry on!

-- Posted by mazz on Fri, Oct 23, 2015, at 12:16 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: