High School Football Forum: Coops teams

Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 10:56 AM:

I just notice on the MOsports link to district standings that it lists "Desoto with Kingston". While not in SEMO area, I find it interesting that Kingston and Desoto is a coop team. Does anyone know if that is a fact?

For those of you that don't know, Kingston is a tiny school district situated between Desoto, Hillsboro, and Jefferson R-7. They struggle enormously in sports to compete, rarely have teams with more than 2-3 wins per season. Good for the Kingston kids to get a chance to play football, and nice of Desoto to agree, if that is what is going on, because coops could put a team in a higher classification, although it hasn't changed Desoto from Class 4.

And it made me wonder why some SEMO area small schools without football have not went with coop with nearby bigger schools with football, especially considering the success of some of the small town SEMO football players in recent years who have made it to D I football and even the NFL. I would think that the success of guys like William Moore and Kony Ealey (sp?) would have opened the eyes of some of these very small schools without football teams, and the opportunity being denied the athletes at their schools. Think of the possibilities??

Replies (15)

• Would it make more geographical sense for Kingston to play with potosi? Of course I could see potosi not agreeing to do it. I think a lot of places could benefit from this. West county could easily do this with park hills central. Heck, is there even a school In iron county that has football? Arcadia valley, viburnum, south iron?

-- Posted by Observer24 on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 11:07 AM
  • This system has been used for a while in Illinois. A lot of small schools will coop for football but then be by themselves in sports like baseball and basketball.

-- Posted by lhs06 on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 11:56 AM
  • Yep forgot about Potosi being so close to Kingston as well. I was thinking about all the Class 1 and 2 schools in SEMO area without football - Advance, Zalma, Puxico, Bell City, Scot County - lots of athletes missing out on opportunities. There are several coop football teams in northwest Missouri. If not mistaken, Kingston is the first in our part of the state. I would guess Desoto did look at the numbers before deciding to accept Kingston football players, as they definitely would not want to be bumped up a class. I would think that would have to be a consideration for anyone.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 12:23 PM
  • Anyone know for sure that Kingston is cooping with Desoto? If so, again good for Desoto to allow it.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 12:25 PM
  • The amount of money that it takes to start football is astronomical, a lot of schools and counties don't want to take on that financial hit.

-- Posted by lhs06 on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 12:46 PM
  • It boils down to the fact that many people don't understand school finances and the amount of money that it would take to start a football program. Once you got it started it would not be as expensive to maintain, but it would still most certainly be the most expensive sport at a school.

Many small schools do it. But those that don't already, especially with the present funding climate and economy overall, would be very hesitant to start football up unless they maybe had a very large donation.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 1:11 PM
  • Schools that coop... Do they have to be adjacent to one another?

-- Posted by Snap n go on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 1:22 PM
  • Kingston was playing with DeSoto the last 3 years or so but I'm not sure if they are this year. Kingston's enrollment would bump Potosi up to Class 4, but I'm pretty sure Potosi will move to Class 4 next year anyway.

-- Posted by PJ24 on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 1:34 PM
  • As long as it wouldn't bump them to class 6 in basketball they can co-op. There's more to it, but I read that from the mshsaa site three or four years ago when the desoto kingston thing came up. Dunno how many kingston students are playing for desoto this year but it was only like three or four players a couple years ago.

-- Posted by Kzar on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 1:45 PM
  • I'll look it up when I get home.

-- Posted by Kzar on Thu, Oct 8, 2015, at 1:46 PM

Bleed Green do you think Kzar is Coach Schweiss???

-- Posted by Football4me on Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 3:13 PM

Just thought the way you hate kory you were calling him out.

-- Posted by Football4me on Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 4:03 PM

I would love for Bluff to get to use young men from Twin Rivers or Neelyville on the team.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 4:05 PM
  • Kzar seems too level headed to be Schweiss.

-- Posted by TheHasBeen on Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 4:41 PM

35-0 Ste Gen ovef Desoto at the Half

-- Posted by Brother Vito on Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 8:17 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: