High School Football Forum: Week 4 Top Games

Posted by bootheelsports on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 9:02 AM:

Week 4 Top Games

Who do you think will win ?

GOTW: Cape Central (1-2) vs Poplar Bluff (3-0)

It's hard to count out Cape Central early in the season, they have a losing record, but this game will tell us more about them as a "team". Poplar Bluff comes in 3-0, but their wins come over below average opponents. If they handle Cape they'll definitely be respected by anyone who still doubts them.

East Prairie (3-0) vs Hayti (2-1)

East Prairie comes into this game 3-0 after an overtime victory over Scott City looking to stay perfect for one more week. We are still trying to figure out if Hayti is legit. This week will tell a lot about which team is behind Malden and Caruthersville in Class 2 District 1.

Malden (3-0) vs. Scott City (2-1)

This Malden team was questioned all offseason after losing a host of seniors. They've had guys step up to say the least. Scott City is definitely much improved from last year, and look to bounce back this week after losing in OT to East Prairie.

Notable games

Caruthersville vs Charleston

Farmington vs Jackson

Jackson and Caruthersville are good teams still trying to get their first win. They strength of the schedules these two schools play have got to them through the first 3 weeks.

Replies (42)

• Cape Central

East Prairie

Jackson

Cville

Malden

Kennett

Who does Dexter and Ste Gen play

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 10:14 AM
  • Dexter plays us (Sikeston)

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 10:37 AM
  • SG at Potosi

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 10:47 AM
  • Why is PB still getting haters/Doubters? How is Farmington below average when they are 2-1. Poplar bluff has outscored all their opponents by a decent margin. I really hope they do the same to cape so they can get some better respect. With that said.

PB

Hayti

Malden

Kennett

Cville

Jackson

Sikeston

SG

-- Posted by Pfccounts on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 11:26 AM
  • Hey we just beat Cape but whoever wrote about the mules was saying people can see how good they are or something like that when they play Cape and Jackson. So step in line we didn't get respect either.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 11:34 AM
  • If you think that game is gonna be a cakewalk for Jackson you're mistaken, Farmington played gosh awful defensively against Bluff so many mental mistakes.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 12:16 PM
  • All I know is Dexter better have a great week of practice and come loaded for bear, because Sikeston is going to be looking for some payback after last season's loss to the Bearcats. Remember the ole hook-and-ladder play that won the game for Dexter?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 12:31 PM
  • Yes they do and you're right it's payback time.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 12:46 PM
  • Sikeston over Dexter

Ste Gen over Potosi

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 12:54 PM
  • Ste Gen should beat Potosi easily.

-- Posted by PJ24 on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 1:37 PM
  • Ste Gen over potosi. Jv in after 3 quarters

-- Posted by theguru on Sun, Sep 6, 2015, at 4:26 PM
  • Sikeston over Dexter by 28.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 1:39 PM
  • Farmington gets its second loss. Keep the spin going as long as you can Farmtown.

-- Posted by RichardTheTurd on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 2:12 PM
  • They played horrible against Bluff, showed heart, but made mental mistakes. By no means did they get manhandled. They'll bounce back it'll be alright :)

-- Posted by Farmtown on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 4:27 PM
  • No offense to Farmington, but they are a step down in competition that Jackson has seen to start the season. Jackson wins this one by 2 TD.

-- Posted by bench warmer on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 8:47 AM

Who would win in these games y'all think: Sikeston vs Kennett or Park Hills Central? Malden vs Sikeston or Park Hills Central?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:41 AM
  • Other than the st gen/valle disputes not much chatter going on these days about semo football.... Whats up with that? Preach, chees and buck youve been relatively quiet this year. Always enjoy reading your opinions.

-- Posted by line buster on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 9:56 AM

Line Buster great point. Every thread turns into several rambling post about who Valle could or could not beat this year or 20 years ago.

-- Posted by Soggy Bottom Boy on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 10:04 AM
  • Bench Warmer, I see your point, but I think this is a tell tale game for both teams, this is coming from obvious bias, but I have Farmington by 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see the game go either way, don't really know how good either team is yet.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 11:07 AM

Because bleed can't get over the poundings st.gen takes every year against valle.

-- Posted by TheGOAT on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 11:13 AM
  • I agree Farmtown. I'm not bias at all. Just believe Jackson has had a tough schedule to start the year which should get straightened out on Friday. We all shall see.

-- Posted by bench warmer on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 11:14 AM
  • Have to agree with PJ24, Potosi didn't look as good as last year to me, just very lucky when it counted.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 11:14 AM
  • Straightouttacharleston i wouldnt mind seeing those matchups. Imo they would be challanging interesting games. To bad they wont happen.

-- Posted by line buster on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 1:17 PM
  • Potosi has won 3 games against 3 teams that are not as good as they were last year. The next 4 games will show who they really are...Ste Gen, PHC, Perryville and Valle.

-- Posted by PJ24 on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 1:28 PM
  • Cape over Bluff 24-20

Malden over Scott City 45-24

East Prairie over Hayti 36-18

C'Ville over Charleston 54-6

Jackson over Farmington 28-24

-- Posted by EagleNation on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 7:46 PM

East Prairie is ranked 10 in the state according to the latest Poll, it's now two state ranked teams in class 2 in the bootheel.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 12:33 PM
  • After where this program was a few years ago, good for EP in cracking the Top 10. A few years ago they were winless or having only 1 win seasons. Great job by the parent, kids, and coaches on working to make that a respectable program.

I still don't buy that they will be close in their next two games. Hayti and Malden are way too talented for EP to hang with. But, good for them for getting the recognition.

-- Posted by CashMoney on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 1:59 PM
  • @CashMoney

The Eagles have so many weapons on offense. There are very few teams that have the talent EP does. Hayti does not have any more talent. I look for EP to win by 2 touchdowns.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 2:49 PM

Congrats to E.P. I just took a gamble and went with E.P. over Hayti. I haven't seen or heard much from Hayti this year but I wouldn't be surprised if I guessed wrong and Hayti pulls it out. Now, in regards to E.P. vs Malden, we all know that Malden is nowhere near the powerhouse they were a year ago but I still pick them by 3 touchdowns over East Prairie based off what I've seen from this year's teams.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 4:24 PM

East Prairie is very talented so I don't mean to take away from that. I must add this; they're talented but young. John Ross Slayden is a strong physical kid and will be much tougher in the next few years. Triplett is a freshman I think. These are a few of their best guys they have depended on to win and that just won't fly against Malden. At least not this year.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 4:28 PM

I thought the Cape Central and Poplar Bluff game would bet the GOTW, but it looks like the East Prairie vs Hayti is gaining the most interest.

East Prairie is 3-0 vs. Kelly, Grandview, and Scott City

Hayti is 2-1 vs. L to Thayer, W over Chaffee, & Charleston

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 8:29 PM
  • @ Real Sports Analyst

you haven't watched a Hayti game have you????

To say hayti doesn't have talent is mis-informed...their Safety is a D-1 prospect getting recruited by Mizzou Miss St and other schools..

Ep doesnt have near the athletes hayti has....Hayti never gets the coverage the other schools get but to say they have no talent and Ep wins big is crazy

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Wed, Sep 9, 2015, at 8:31 PM
  • @SourhEspn,

Saying EP doesn't have the athletes that Hayti has is ridiculous. Deverence Jones is an all around outstanding athlete. Brett Ellis, Jon-Ross Slayden, Derez Tipler, Luke Marcum, Blayn Goodding, and Casey Gregory are all great players. I was able to watch they Scott City game. Lets just say that big time players make big time plays. EP wins by 14+ BOOK IT.

-- Posted by Sport Observer on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 12:18 PM
  • LOL people throw the word GREAT out there too much...these same GREAT players went to overtime with Scott City....Jones Tipler Ellis and Marcum are good players but give me Moore and Farr....We shall see

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 2:09 PM
  • Just how improved is Scott city? From what I watched and the stats in the write up on ep/sc game it was all offense with very little defense....

-- Posted by line buster on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 2:27 PM

I've been watching sports for years and haven't seen an East Prairie team with more athletes than Hayti, but being athletic doesn't always translate to winning or losing a game.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 8:03 PM
  • @bootheel sports

thats all I'm saying lol never seen an ep team with more athletes than hayti lol now east prairie has beaten hayti having a less athletic team that WeBall guy must be a player he named everyone one the team

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 8:23 PM
  • SouthEspn, I just know my sports😉

-- Posted by Sport Observer on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 10:37 PM
  • SouthEspn, I just know my sports😉

-- Posted by Sport Observer on Thu, Sep 10, 2015, at 10:37 PM

Well, Friday is here! In 13 hours we can put this E.P. vs Hayti feud to bed! I picked E.P. Simply because of player discipline and have doubted my pick several times because I believe this game could go either way. East Prairie fans should calm down a bit and focus on building your sons for the future. They'll be better as they mature. You're not going to even be competitive with Caruthersville or Malden because your players just aren't ready yet for that competition. They're good but will be much better in a season or two down the road.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Fri, Sep 11, 2015, at 8:01 AM

WeBall4, I thought you said you know your sports! LOL I should have followed my conscience and changed my pick to Hayti for Gridiron pick em! East Prairie cost me points and I should have known better. By the way it appeared that Hayti actually does have a lot more athletes than you!!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sat, Sep 12, 2015, at 7:46 AM
  • I knew he did not know sports when he said Ep has more athletes than Hayti....he lost all credibility

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Sat, Sep 12, 2015, at 9:33 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: