High School Football Forum: Touchdown Top 10 Opinion Poll

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 7:29 PM:

Hello to everyone in Semoball-Land. Cheesehead, BuckMajor and I want to thank everyone for the great response to our Pre-season Top 10 thread.

We are a week away from unveiling our first Touchdown Top 10 rankings. The three of us have been talking over the first two weeks of the season about who should be ranked where, but we wanted to get your input as well.

So what does your Top 10 look like? Please give us your feedback below. Feel free to make as detailed as you like. Remember that in addition to the schools covered by Semoball, we also consider Farmington, Valle Catholic, Ste. Genevieve, Fredericktown, and Park Hills Central. Also be sure and include teams that are "On the Bubble" if you think there are any.

We will definitely take your thoughts into consideration. Thanks for the help!

Replies (128)

• Valle on top I would say in response to bleed's post

-- Posted by Blitz on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 8:26 PM

1. Cape

2. Valle

3. PHC

4. Farmington

5. Sikeston

6. Poplar Bluff

7. Jackson

8. Malden

9. East Prairie

10. Kennett

Bubble: Scott City, Ste. Gen., Perryvillie

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 8:41 PM
  • Valle

Cape

PHC

Jackson

Malden

Sikeston

SG

Farmington

Bluff

Perryville

Bubble: Kennett

Bank it!

-- Posted by Biggy on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 9:16 PM
  • Cape

Valle

Sikeston

Jackson

PHC

Farmington

PB

SG

Malden

EP

-- Posted by Highschoolsports on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 9:24 PM

Just wondering, how many posters on here are from or cheer for the Ste. Gen schools. Lol seems every other person who post on here are from around that area

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 9:25 PM
  • Because football is life there!

-- Posted by Biggy on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 9:28 PM

Cape Central

PHC

Valle

Malden

Jackson

Sikeston

Farmington

Poplar Bluff

Kennett

St Gen

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 10:52 PM
  • 1. Cape

2. Valle

3. PHC

4. Malden

5. Farmington

6. Sikeston

7. Ste. Gen

8. PB

9. Kennett

10. C-ville

EP is going to have to play up a class or play Cville or Malden before I could even think abt putting them in the top 10. It's nothing personal, I think the coaches there do a great job.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 11:26 PM
  • 1. Cape

2. Valle

3. PHC

4. Jackson

5. Malden

6. Farmington

7. Sikeston

8. Kennett

9. SG

10. C-ville

Bubble Teams: PB, Portageville (respectively)

Reasoning behind 1-5: I pondered over who to put at #1 and I ended up with Cape. I think it would be a great game between Valle and Cape, so I'm just going to make mention of that. I think PHC is down, yes, but still good enough to win their district. Jackson-PHC would also be a game I'd like to see. Malden over Farmington right now for their last two games. They could go far into the playoffs again judging off the first two games.

Much love and support towards your top 10. Keep it up guys!

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Mon, Aug 31, 2015, at 11:48 PM
  • 1. Cape Central

2. Valle

3. Park Hills Central

4. Jackson

5. Malden

6. Sikeston

7. C-Ville

8. Poplar Bluff

9. Farmington

10. Ste. Geneieve

Top 2 are set as I believe Cape and Valle would be a good game, but Cape would come out on top.

-- Posted by bench warmer on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 7:40 AM

So @mobrigade just to clear this up in your top 10 East Prairie would have to play up against a higher classed school yet Ste. Gen played down got drilled and still makes your top 10?

-- Posted by PapaJohns on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:12 AM
  • 1. Cape

2. Valle

3. Jackson

4. Malden

5. Sikeston

6. PHC

7. Farmington

8. East Praire

9. SG

10. CVille

On the Bubble: Poplar Bluff and Kennett

As far as my top 5, I chose Cape at #1, because I just think they would beat VC in a game. These two teams are clearly the best two in the area. Although Cape does have a test on the road this week. As far as Jackson, the verdict is still out. They are a really good team, I just think they are better then the teams behind them. They had a very tough first game at the Zou. Should be better down the stretch. Malden, a very solid team!! Sikeston, they have returned a lot of play makers. They were a young team last year. Returning their back field is huge.

Now, to PHC, I have nothing bad to say about PHC; however, we all have heard how good they are in sports....until they play a true semo team. It might be a different sport by look at them in basketball. Everyone up there said a few years ago they were so dominant. Well, they played Sikeston and got beat by 30. I'm NOT, repeat, NOT saying they'd get beat by 30 against any team on this list but I just find it hard to believe they could or would beat any of the teams above them.

As far as EP in my top ten, they are a REALLY good team. They have all played together for many years. Watch out for them as the sleeper in that district.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:37 AM

Come on now, PHC would have beaten the pants off Sikeston in Football last year and the year before. Probably this year as well.

It just so happens that Sikeston travels to Park Hills week 9 next season.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:47 AM
  • U already know next seasons schedule?? Next year I won't have to worry about traveling I'm done after this year probably.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:50 AM

Its on the MSHSAA site. Plain as day. :)

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:52 AM
  • Great stuff, guys! Keep it coming. Definitely food for thought!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:55 AM
  • @papa johns, I think most schools in the semo area would play "down" and get drilled by Valle. Especially East Prairie. It would be really bad. Like worse than SG-Valle bad.

-- Posted by notgood on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 10:00 AM

Sikeston will also pick up Kennett too. We are dropping the STL schools.

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 10:07 AM
  • Valley would not beat cape or jaxon. Both games wood be at least by three TDs.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:15 AM
  • Class 1 is like college vs the pros

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:18 AM
  • 1. valle

2. cape

3. jackson

4. phc

5. malden

6. cville

7. sikeston

8.PB

9.kennett

10. EP

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:23 AM
  • If you guys think Valle would lose by three TDs to Cape or jackson or any team on these list then you are nuts...Valle probably beats everyone including Cape IMO

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:25 AM
  • 1.PHC

2.Valle

3.Cape

4.Malden

5.Kennett

6.Farmington

7.PB

8.SG

9.Chaffee

10.EP

Bubble teams: Sikeston, Jackson, Cville

-- Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:37 AM
  • Crazyfootballdad,

Too bad they don't play each other this season. All I am saying is we can't say one would beat the pants off the other because they do not play each other. We can compare like teams that play each other.

All I referred to is on here PHC say they can compete with the SEMO teams in different sports, and don't try to deny it because you guys said that before during basketball. You guys said you had such a great team. Well, speed kills. That's what happened during that basketball game and that's what I think would happen during the football game. Sikeston, Jackson, and Cape...I could name more teams too, have too much speed for PHC. Yes PHC might have great receivers like you guys say; however, the QB has to be able to find them when they have someone already in their ear hole.

Playing teams like Cape, Jackson, or Sikeston...you have to stop the run. Those 3 teams have too many different play makers on offense for PHC to cover. AGAIN, this is just my opinion. I cannot think of anyone of the top of my head from Jackson but Cape has Al Young. You cannot stop him. All you can do is hope to contain him. Webb City did not stop Al Young during the state championship game. They also have another RB, which I cannot think of this name.

As for Sikeston, they virtually return almost everyone on their offense and defensive lines. Both 1000+ yard rushers and their QB who looks a lot better against the same teams then last year.

Again, speed speed speed. You guys might have speed at certain positions and I respect that. However, down here in the SEMO area there is speed virtually at every position.

You'll bring up technique. This is important!! Very important!! But I'll take a speed person over technique any day of the week. You can adjust for a mistake on speed. You cannot adjust for a mistake on technique if the other guy has too much speed.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:43 AM
  • Al Young didn't have a very good game against Webb City. He had three catches for 9 yards and had minus-four rushing. He did have an interception on defense but he was basically a non-factor in the game. But Webb City can make even the best players mortal. I do agree that there is not much anybody around here can do to stop Al Young. He is one of the best football players I've ever seen come out of Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:53 AM

I put Farmington 4 on my list and put sikeston and PB at 5-6. All three teams are 2-0 but Sikeston and PB has played no one of significance. Farmington however, has in going up to Ladue and beating them 17-14. That's not easy to do.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 12:06 PM
  • redsandguy,

Football DOES NOT EQUAL basketball. No one with any sense would have said PHC could beat Sikeston in basketball the year they played the sectional game. Last year Sikeston beat Farmington by 1 and LOST to Dexter (2 teams I am quite certain Sikeston was faster than). PHC turbo clocked both of those teams. PHC has speed. My rankings would be

1. Valle

2. Cape

3. Jackson

4. PHC

5. Malden

Valle would beat Cape and Jackson this year. Valle has superior coaching. And good athletes. And Valle and PHC are faster than what you SEMO people think they are.

PHC plays Country Day and Sikeston next year so that will give everyone a chance to see how they handle the "speed" of Sikeston.

PHC has a good football program. Not that they could not be beaten. Heck, they might lose this week to Perryville, they definitely could lose to Farmington or Ste Gen, but they have things rolling in a good direction. They are not an unbeatable machine like Valle but they have a solid program.

-- Posted by Only facts on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 12:10 PM

Only facts pretty much summed it up.

I'd say district championships 4 out of the last 5 years is the beginning of a pretty decent football program. John Burroughs has been PHC's Achilles heel in the quarterfinals though. They took 2 straight-up whippins, but scrapped toe to toe one game. Maybe the 4th time's a charm?

(JBS would clown on most of the teams on these top 10 lists. Seriously. They are good. )

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 12:30 PM
  • Valley may be the Ohio State of Class 1 but last years OSU team wooda lost to the Rams by 4 Tds. After watching Valley in the champship game theres just no way theyd stay close with an above avg Class 4-6 team. Hey, at least i compared em to OSU!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 12:54 PM
  • Bahahaha jus trying to get a point across to delusional fans heeheee!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:25 PM
  • this is semo area, not any class 4-6 teams. Imo valle could contend with any school on that list and most likely come out on top.

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:35 PM
  • Hate to say it, but John Burroughs will likely turbo clock whoever wins Class 3, District 1 this year also. They have just about everyone back except Moten and the QB. They have a new RB named Bain. Don't know where he came from but he has racked up some impressive numbers so far.

-- Posted by Only facts on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:35 PM
  • Ciri, what did you see in the Championship game that pointed to major weaknesses in the Valle team?

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:41 PM
  • Im trying not to stress that they have weaknesses. But the upper class top teams play at a different speed and are more physical. Just like the Nfl plays at a diff level than college. The Class 1 champship looked like a slower version of the 4-6 games. And much less physical. Valley wood get absolutely worn down by the second half by a team like Cape or Jax. Notice im not including my team in this discussion, Valley would probly beat a Class 4 team like Sikes.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:48 PM

If it were to take place, the game w JBS would likely be at Park Hills this year. That would be a positive.

If someone else (SG or Kennett?) ends up playing JBS, I'm sure there will be a few red Central Rebels shirts in the crowd. I will be there for sure.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:49 PM
  • So i wood place them #3 in the area behind cape and jax, and if PHC is supposedly better than cape or jax then theyd be #4

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 1:50 PM
  • Ciri, you make a good case and I think it generally plays out that way. However, every rule has exceptions. Maybe Valle is one of those, maybe not.

Valle is fast. 4.5 and 4.6 receivers aint exactly sloth-like. O and D lines that only include one 2-way player gets them into the 2nd half with something left in the tank. Their QB is legit.

I'm not foolish or arrogant enough to claim Valle wins those matchups, but I do think they make the game more competitive that many would think and a win is not unfathomable.

Small colleges knock off big ones every Saturday. I respect Jackson and Capes football program alot, but don't confuse them with JB or Webb. They are very good, but not so good that they could take Valle lightly. My opinion only.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 2:32 PM
  • 1.Cape

2.Valle

3.Farmington

4.Sikeston

5.Jackson

6.Malden

7.Park Hills Central

8.Poplar Bluff

9.Kennet

10.Scott City

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 2:36 PM
  • My uncles and Dad all played at Valle, and 3 of them were all state, one played on the unscored upon team, they went to the Farmington-North County game, and said Farmington would beat Valle by 2 tds this year.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 2:50 PM
  • Farmtown no way they beat Valle. Farmington shouldn't even be in the top 10. I realize they are much improved but lets be realistic. The beat a bad NC team and a Ladue team that lost everybody from last year.

-- Posted by hardwork on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:02 PM
  • False watch some film bud. They should've beat NC by 55-60 and they beat Ladue who returned 7 on each side. But you're like most of southeastern Missouri and you're anti-Farmington, because they won the semo north 3 of the first 4 years they were in it.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:08 PM
  • Maybe Maybe not Farmtown. But just because they played on a Valle team and were all-staters doesn't make them a 2015 season expert after seeing one game. Apparently you dont think so either since you ranked Valle ahead of Farmington!

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:16 PM
  • I agree, i think valle would beat every semo team cept cape and jaxon. Ive never ever seen PHC so i cant guess how that game would go.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:22 PM
  • Farmtown you better get back to practice since I'm sure your one of the players on this years team

-- Posted by hardwork on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:23 PM
  • these are all just opinions here... I think the list should be Cape and Valle in the top 2. they would be the best game, if the top teams in semo could play as of now.

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:30 PM
  • You're incorrect man. I'm not, nor am I bashing anyone, I'm just saying, Vaughn always told us how much southeast Missouri hated us, I didn't understand it, I thought you'd guys would respect us. And Farmington is a lot better, I really think they're going to challenge for districts this year. No one besides Cape, Sikeston, and Farmington really have a chance.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 3:48 PM
  • I think the coach just told you that to fire you up. The only thing I hate about Farmington is that freaking drive.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 4:38 PM

I'm not sold on Farmington yet. I really hope they are good, but my gut feeling is that everybody might be jumping the gun a bit.

Farmington has a relatively brutal schedule and we will soon know if they are for real or not. What improvements have they made to avoid getting blown out by PHC, Cape and Jackson again this year?

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 5:28 PM
  • They beat Ladue to start the year, that was a HUGE accomplishment. They changed their offence from a spread to running a midline-flexbone offense. And they returned 7 starters on each side. Their line which was a weakness of last years team has really become a strength. They're very disciplined on defense which was not the case last year.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 5:58 PM

Kearbey used to tell us the same thing at Bluff so...

My take Farmington in any given year should beat Valle despite how good Valle is due to the disparity in class size. Doesn't necessarily Farmington should be ranked on the top 10 above them Valle is a perennial powerhouse always good in their class that's why they're a top 5 team. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Farmington have a trio of down years prior to this season? They've got to show people they belong in the top 10 before they get a spot in it. If they can beat Bluff one of their conference opponents it will go a long way in earning a spot in somebody's top 10

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 6:07 PM
  • Yes, they went 3-7, 1-9, 3-7 this is really the turn around year. I'm also confused, is this list based on success of the teams, or the level of the play of the teams, not based on class, but on as an overall unit?

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 6:29 PM
  • Farmington is not that good. Watched them against Ladue. Ladue didn't know what was going on. Cool, Farmington changed their offense. Why does that even matter?

NC is not very good either. You say they should've beat them by 55 or 60? Really good teams do that. Until they prove something, they don't deserve to be in the top 7 IMO.

Valle would turbo them. Might even be over in the 1st quarter.

-- Posted by Squeak on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:15 PM
  • If any of y'all are interested (and it sounds like you are), heres the video broadcast of the SG-Valle game. I guess this will allow everyone to see and make a somewhat more educated opinion (although, still not accurate by any means.)

The game picks up after Valle went up 14-0.

Side note: Not sure if I am a fan of Stolzer as color commentary.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:25 PM
  • -- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:25 PM
  • Preach, it looks like you 3 were pretty smart letting them pick their own top 10 so they can argue among themselves and not blame ya. Smart move. 😀

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:27 PM
  • Farmtown,

Valle would turbo clock Farmington. Farmington is much better this year BUT wake up. You beat a bad north county team and ladue graduated a bunch. Farmington will likely beat bluff this week and Farmington people will lose their minds even more.

-- Posted by Only facts on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 8:56 PM
  • Okay, I understand what you guys are saying, but im telling you there's no chance they'd turbo clock us, I'm not looking to get into a huge argument, but they're so much better this year. Beating Ladue wasn't a fluke they knew what was coming, and they proceeded to win by 50 the next week. And Ladue returned SEVEN on each side since when is that losing everything. They were ranked 7 in the large school pole in St. Louis. Remember the year cape went from 0-10 to 10-1, It's like that. I might be biased, but that's what I see. I'm not trying to offend anyone by any means, just my opinion.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:02 PM
  • Valle turbos them. And Stg beats them by 2 TDs.

-- Posted by Squeak on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:05 PM
  • WWE Guru, you must not be familiar with the old MAAA conference. Valle and Farmington were both in it and Valle beat them often. Just letting you know. Farmington was always a force and probably won the conf often. I don't have accurate numbers but Valle won the conference often during their first couple championship runs. The conference included Farmington, potosi, Freddy, north county, park hills (flat river), St Vincent, SG, and Valle. I wish that conf still existed for football. It was a shame when they dismantled it. It meant something to win that conf.

Several yrs they'd have 4 teams advance to playoffs. St Vinny and Valle were C1-2, while the rest were always C3-4.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:11 PM
  • How can you say a team that beat a class 5 semifinalist from last year would lose to Ste. Gen. My family all comes from Valle, They still go to 3 games a year, my uncles have college coaching experience, and they would support Valle if they met Farmington, and they're saying it would be a great game. I'm sorry but I don't agree with the turbo clock. They're not potosi, or Ste. Gen, they wouldn't just throw them around.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:13 PM
  • Ladue graduated 14 including the Howard kid who was an All Stater. They are not that good this year.

-- Posted by RichardTheTurd on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:18 PM
  • I'm fully aware Farmington has some pretty decent athletes right now as Valle and them had several good baseball games over the spring and summer, with Farmington coming out on top by a game or two I think.

Farmtown, is there many of those baseball guys playing football too?

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:19 PM
  • ANYONE that thinks Farmington beats Valle loses any credibility as far as I am concerned.

20 years ago, Valle was on a similar run and was in a conference with all 3 and 4A teams. They beat them all. Farmington and Potosi both made quarterfinals in class 4 (I'd say that's above average). By the way, they beat them by 3 TDs. Oh, and SG has won one state championship. Guess who their only loss that season was against? Yep, Valle by over 30.

Valle is on a similar run the past 5 years. I'm a Jackson fan but have followed football for years. Coaching is key. Valle beats them all & Farmtown is crazy!

Who's your uncle that played on the 535-0 team? Curious.

-- Posted by Biggy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:20 PM
  • Yes, Simpleminds! Their best Athlete is are center fielder actually, who was all conference and all district in baseball. One of the best kickers in the state, and probably the second best receiver behind Young in the area. And the Qb Plays as well, I believe 3rd base.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:23 PM
  • Biggy I don't want to say it on here, I'd tell you personally, but I don't know how to do it.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:24 PM
  • farmtown hate to say it, but Valle playing Farmington this year wouldn't be a game.. I'd honestly pick Valle by 30 if they were to match up. they do not meet the athletes or coaches to play with Valle on this given year.

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:24 PM
  • They would lose to Stg. By 2 TDs. I'm sorry but it's true, Farmtown.

Once again, they are not that good.

Biggy is correct. They are on a similar run and it's been fun to watch.

Farmtown, have you seen Valle play this year?

-- Posted by Squeak on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:27 PM
  • Blitz, Okay I can see them losing by 14-20 But I don't think it gets to 30, the offense is set up perfectly so it's not all about athleticism, but just curious how do you think the 2011 Farmington semi-final team would fare against a valle team?

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:27 PM
  • Now, that would have been a game. Farmington probably wins that, but it's very close.

-- Posted by Biggy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:29 PM
  • They would not lose to Ste. Gen in fact I don't think it'd be a game. They would lose to Valle but it'd be closer than you think probably 14-17 point game. And I watched the replay from the Ste. Gen game, They're ridiculous, they always are.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:30 PM
  • Valle's offense is set up pretty perfectly as well.

Valle 2011 team beats Farmington 2011 team as well.

IMO, the last 6 teams to go to the dome for Valle would've beat Farmingtons teams those years.

-- Posted by Squeak on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:31 PM
  • Gosh dang, I have so much respect for valle, but I don't think they would've beat the 06 07 or 11 teams, the rest of those years yes I totally agree, They're a dynasty.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:33 PM
  • 06 and 07 Farmington would have most like won, 2011 would have been a great game to watch.

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:34 PM
  • 2011 is the only year it's close.

AND SG beats Farmington this year unless Farmington has gotten 100 times better than last year.

-- Posted by Biggy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:35 PM

My dear Lord, Valle would do bad things to Farmington. It would be unimaginable.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:36 PM
  • Valle wasn't good in 06 and 07. Farmington wins those 2.

-- Posted by Biggy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:36 PM
  • They really have man, It's ridiculous especially on defense, With the new head coach they're finally adapting I think, last year the mindset started to change, this year they have the athletes to go with it.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:37 PM
  • Farmington might have to pick a new team to itch at.. just not the year to choose Valle.. imo the Warriors could compete with anyone in semo, cape would be a great game to watch

-- Posted by Blitz on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:39 PM
  • Another example of a huge turn around Jackson from 11-12

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:40 PM
  • Did anyone hear about Farmington having NC signals and playbook. I've heard about it in Jackson. Surprised it hasn't popped up on here yet.

-- Posted by Biggy on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:42 PM
  • I said the last 6 years they went to the dome. Those 6 Valle teams would beat Farmington, with 2011 being the best game. 06 and 07 aren't even worth mentioning.

-- Posted by Squeak on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:44 PM
  • Alright I got you man my mistake.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 9:46 PM
  • Farmtown, pretty certain of the guy you're referring to on the '66 team. I'd have a feeling you'd know a little bit about football. Good to know there's someone else on here that's not just flapping their jaws.

And we always talk about past teams and what they could've done against another, boy I wish I could've had the opportunity to see some of those games from the '66 team. Heard stories of all the trickery, etc., teams would try just to score.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 10:05 PM
  • I always think it's funny when people talk of Sikeston's "speed." In all honesty Sikeston has not had what I would call a fast team in 3 or 4 years. Not since Kyland Gross was quarterback along with Nick Nichols and Aundrea Golden did they have speedy players. But the last thee years that has not been the case. Last year their fastest player was Earnest Fobbs who was clocked about 4.7 or so in the 40. Now the Juqualin Wiggins and Trey Lewis teams...yes those teams were fast across the board and that no doubt helped those teams to the great success that they had. But speed is not what has won or what will win games for Sikeston this year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 10:08 PM
  • Don't worry, TFA, they'll still be all over us next week! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 10:51 PM

I remember from playing Sikeston in 2009 not only was that team fast but they also had some size.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:12 PM

The Sikeston team that played Warrenton in the Semifinals a few years ago was awesome.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Tue, Sep 1, 2015, at 11:18 PM

That team and the team before were. 2009 they went to the semifinal against Helias Catholic. Had Wiggins, Dixon, good team. Playing against them twice was a pain.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 1:05 AM
  • Yes Simpleminds, my uncle was a member of the 66' team! Was that the year they also tied Burroughs at state? That may have been another one of my uncles another year.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 12:41 PM
  • No that was before Missouri had a playoff system. If I remember right, I believe Poplar Bluff was undefeated that year also. At the end of the year I heard Bluff and Valle agreed to play each other but wasn't allowed to by the state. If the story was correct, I even think they were gonna play in Chester, IL to avoid the state. The game was never played though.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 1:38 PM
  • The State football championship system started in 1968 according to this pdf from MSHSAA:

http://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/State%20Championship%20Histories%20by%20Spor...

First time Valle shows on the list is 1981 as co-champs with St. Pius X (KC). Played to 0 - 0 tie in the old Class 2A...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 1:50 PM
  • That's right Bleed. They were trying to play up a few classes even back then. Heck, for all we know maybe it was Valle that began the push for a playoff system. Haha

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 2:30 PM
  • All I know, it would be nice to be a Valle fan over the last 50 years. I wish they stll played the old conference schedule like they did when I lived up there.

They'd be running up scores on NC, Farmington, Potosi, Fredericktown, and SV just like they do against the cream puffs in their current conference. We'd still get the annual SG game, but we'd also get the game we'd all like to see with them and Flat River. I can't believe I said that. Remember how bad they were. PHC has a lot to be proud of since those days!

-- Posted by Biggy on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 9:07 PM
  • They would not run the score up on Farmington, or central, everyone else I agree with.

-- Posted by Farmtown on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 9:32 PM
  • 1. Cape

2. PHC

3. Valle

4. Malden

5. Jackson

6. Sikeston

7. Ste. Gen.

8. Kennett

9. Poplar Bluff

10.C'Ville

On The Bubble: Farmington, Perryville,

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 9:49 PM
  • must be drinking some pretty good koolaid up around St Gen the way they talk they can beat beat anyone they are the only game in the state and then to say they have better coaching than Cape that is a joke Coach Norman and Gibbs And their staffs has to game plan for much better competition than the teams Valle plays in fact ive seen both Cape and Valle teams this year and there is no way Valle could beat Cape its not the same game being played Valle is very good but cannot compete with top 10 class 4 teams but will never see it if they aren't sure of a W they wont schedule a top team in an upper class Malden would have beaten Valle handily last year

-- Posted by USMC VET on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 8:39 AM
  • 1. Cape

2. Jackson

3. PHC

4. Valle

5. Sikeston

6. Farmington

7. Malden

8. Poplar Bluff

9. East Prairie

10. Kennett

Bubble: C*ville, Scott City, Perryville

-- Posted by USMC VET on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 8:51 AM
  • St. Gen dominated an average Dexter team and then was obliterated by Valle. That tells me that, like it or not, Valle is the best football team not in class 4 south of St. Louis and west of Mountain view.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 9:15 AM
  • Basically what i meant to say was the Valle is better than any team in classes 1, 2 or 3 along those boundaries. And those boundaries probably reach further, maybe the entire state.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 9:18 AM
  • What I saw at the Farmington/NC game surprised me. I really thought NC had a a real good chance to win that game. Now I find myself wondering if NC's O line is that weak or if Farmington D Line was that strong.

If it was that strong I think they will have a really good year this year. I don't know if Ste Gen would beat them or not. At this time I would say no. But the season is still young.

Would Farmington beat Valle this year? I don't think so. I don't know about a turbo clock though.

Its to early to tell.

I would take the NC teams from the mid 90's through early 2000's would beat Valle as much as they would lose to them.

I think that the Farmington teams that went on the roll when NC fell off would also be even with Valle.

Its like saying in 10-20 years that Valle would have beat the Cape teams that we have right now tearing it up. Do we think the Valle teams right now could beat Cape the majority of the time in a 10 game series? I don't.

-- Posted by NCFan on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 9:21 AM
  • Did someone say an average Dexter team....I dont think so they are going to win 1 game this rear...Thats a tad below average.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 9:46 AM
  • A reasonable NC fan, and are D line gained 20 pounds on average this year, and we have a 170 d end, and we returned 3 of 4 starters

-- Posted by Farmtown on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 10:33 AM

Using Dexter and SG to measure how good Valle is?

What? I'm lost.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 12:05 PM
  • NCFan, Farmington also played Nort county 2years in a row, where they were the top two teams in class 4 I think 99' 00'

-- Posted by Farmtown on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 4:05 PM
  • Valle was 7-3 Judd first year including a 21-13 loss to ur dragons.....

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 4:56 PM
  • I agree Valle is a good team but i think cape beats them easily. Jackson is to high on some lists. I understand they played 2 very good teams but they couldnt slow down the run. Al young will run wild on jackson this year.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 5:52 PM
  • Playoff format is setup different now, so they could have gotten a couple more wins in the early rounds of districts

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 5:58 PM
  • Cape beats sikeston by 20

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 6:57 PM
  • USMC VET. It's hard to lend you much credibility when you haven't mastered the use of a period or a comma.

As for scheduling larger schools, the problem isn't Valle's willingness. They benefit from playing larger schools and would gladly schedule them. The problem is that larger schools have no incentive to schedule smaller ones with the current point system in place. They are penalized too heavily if they lose to a smaller school. Valle's schedule does include larger schools BTW. Three 3A and two 2A.

Do some homework before you spout off. And use a punctuation mark here or there.

With that being said, I still respect and appreciate your service Sir.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 9:14 PM
  • Teams aren't actually penalized for playing down, they just don't receive the bonus pts for playing up. And for many C4 or C5 schools, they don't play up often so it shouldn't make much of a difference. The biggest "hit" to any upper class team's district pts for playing Valle, or any successful smaller school for that matter, would be losing by greater than 13 to them.

Those upper class teams would actually benefit from playing someone with a final record like 7-2 or greater (regardless of size), they'd get 20 pts for a win, but only 10 pts for a loss (regardless of size), no pts for playing down (again, not a big deal), and anywhere from -13 to +13 pts depending on the final score (again, regardless of size). And all of those pts are divided by the number of games played (normally 9 in a season). So we're talking a very small percentage of change, like 0-3 pts.

So with that said, it comes down to does a larger school want to take the chance of playing a successful smaller school, and losing to them badly (which was the case with Potosi/Valle last year, 41-0). Potosi (the largest C3 team in the state) finished 7-2 for the regular season with a schedule consisting mainly of C3-C4 teams, with the exception of C2 Carnahan and Valle. So did they look at it like: playing Valle helps us understand where we'd like to be - maybe learning a few things in the process; or ouch - that was a huge embarrassment to our program. There's the true dilemma for playing down.

Would Potosi have been better off beating a weak C3-4 team with a losing record instead of playing Valle? Thus maybe gaining them a pt or 2 in the district. Again, that's their call, and every other larger school's in this area.

And don't think I'm saying Valle is the cat's meow. They're just the main team in this area that gets discussed about playing up. But with that being said, I don't think Valle really cares to play C5 schools either.......for several reasons.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Thu, Sep 3, 2015, at 10:40 PM
  • For this particular example they wouldn't have been better off. It didn't really matter if Potosi lost to Valle or beat a higher class team with a losing record. They weren't going to catch PHC in the district standings anyway. But, more often than not, it might be better for a team like Potosi not to play Valle, especially with the current state of Potosi's program. They need to make some major changes to have a chance of competing with programs like Valle and PHC.

-- Posted by PJ24 on Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 10:16 AM
  • This has all been fascinating reading and has given me much food for thought. We will see how tonight's games turn out, then the three of us will have some hard choices to make for our first poll next week!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 11:51 AM
  • Yes cause ya 3 wimped out this week so you need to give your opinions next week. Lol!!

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 11:55 AM

We ate to much barbecue and forget to do one ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 1:08 PM
  • Some games we will be watching closely that have the potential to really shake up our Top 10 are: Cape Central vs. Sikeston; PHC vs. Perryville; Kennett vs. Caruthersville; Malden vs. Portageville; and Poplar Bluff vs. Farmington.

In addition, East Prairie will get their first real test against Scott City. And what if Jackson drops to 0-3? What do we do with them? A lot of tough questions still to be answered.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 1:32 PM
  • T1. Sikeston

T1. Valle

3. PB

4. Park Hills

5. Cape

6. Malden

7. EP

8. Kennett

9. SG

10. Jackson

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 11:02 AM

Sikeston and Valle tied for #1? That should get some interesting responses!

-- Posted by zachattack II on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 12:46 PM
  • How about stopping all this BS and Cape,Sikeston,Jackson or someone get Valle on there schedule and play it at the Dome, sure to pack the place.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 1:40 PM

This probably wouldn't have been a good year for Jackson, Cape or Sikeston to have scheduled Valle.

-- Posted by zachattack II on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 1:53 PM
  • From what everyone seems to say no year is a good time to play them, so someone do it.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 2:31 PM
  • But then we would get bs for playing a team in a lower class. Doesn't matter if they are good just in case any of those 3 beat the unbeatable Valle the reason would be they are a lower class.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 2:35 PM
  • Valle

Enough said

-- Posted by theguru on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 2:39 PM
  • East Prairie in front of Kennett (and SG and Jackson, for that matter) is laughable. Luckily Kennett plays EP in the regular season so everyone can see how ludicrous this top 10 really is.

-- Posted by notgood on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 3:04 PM
  • TFA is right. Cape, Jackson and Sikeston gain nothing by playing Valle. If they win it's because they should. They lose either way.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 3:25 PM
  • I wasn't aware that Valle will be playing Caruthersville next year. Such a far drive for both the teams.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 5:35 PM
  • Well said TFA! There is an old saying for PB and Farmington. Respect is earned, not given. You guys will get that chance as the season goes on.

Sikeston has earned their respect so far for this season.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 6:46 PM
  • @PapaJohns, yes it takes more than one game to determine my judgement, SG has a history of being a solid football team, EP has struggled the last six years. Playing down two classes to the team that runs the state championship yearly isn't playing down much. You want EP in the top ten, prove it by beating someone that has weight like Malden or C-ville, then you'll break into the top 10. EP has one 3A school on schedule and that is Kennett, which is the last game of year and doesn't even play C-ville in their own class. I mean absolutely no disrespect to EP, but their schedule does not at this time indicate they are a top ten team in SEMO, based off prior years and who they have played this year. I think they are coached very well and have gradually gotten better the last three years but they have a long row to hoe before they are considered solid contender for even a district title.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Tue, Sep 8, 2015, at 2:26 PM
  • Still wanna say sikestons good? Jackson wiped the floor with them

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Oct 2, 2015, at 9:00 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: