High School Football Forum: Fredericktown at Kennett - Mojo's View

Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 2:22 AM:

Since I was able to watch most of the game over the internet, why not submit a report?

First I would like to thank YHC for streaming video of this game. It made this lonely, temporary ex-pat feel real good catching this game. Almost was like being there. To the announcers, very good job guys.

I did catch some of Coach Pixley's radio interview pre-game. I have to commend him on his enthusiasm and the humbleness he seems to have in regard to the community support he has had since going to Kennett. It appears he's doing a very good job making Kennett a football town.

I didn't see the opening drive where Kennett scored, so not much to say there. My impressions of the game are after I was able to get the video feed up and running.

For most of the first quarter, seemed like both sides were moving the ball fairly well except I thought Fredericktown's defense was a little bit better than Kennett's. The 'Cats got the ball past Kennett's 30 a couple times, but the Indians stiffened when it mattered most. Except for that opening drive, the 'Cats didn't allow Kennett much past the 50 well into the second quarter. Things turned then, the 'Cats tied it after a fumble, but not long later, the Indians recovered a bad punt snap and scored a couple plays later.

The penalty bug hurt Kennett more I thought in the second and into the third quarters. There were several personal fouls and illegal sub calls that aided the Blackcat drives and the 'Cats drove close to the goal several times. But Kennett stiffened and held for most of those drives. Early in third quarter, I thought things might have turned for my 'Cats, they scored and converted to take the lead 13-12. Defensively, the 'Cats held the Indians for the most part but a couple big plays by Kennett got them close to the end zone too many times for my comfort with one ending in a short 7 yard TD run by QB Nelson for a 18 -- 13 lead.

About halfway through the third, injury timeouts started to mount with players cramping up. Seemed to me most were Fredericktown players cramping up, but a couple Kennett injuries may be key to future success. One Kennett player was taken from the field on a stretcher, hopefully only precautionary and late in the game, Nelson limped off with possible ankle problem. I do pray both players are OK and back to the field for the next game. As the game progressed, Kennett's team seemed to be more in shape and able to handle the Blackcats.

Late in the third, Kennett tacked on one more TD on a good run by the RB for a 25 -- 13 lead. But there was no quit in the Blackcats just yet, they marched the ball to near the 20. A pass play towards the endzone was intercepted by an Indian player, who made one of most beautiful 95 yard runs back for a TD I have ever seen.

But, there was no quit in the Blackcats, they scored midway through the fourth quarter, needing two scores to take the game. The 'Cats did have a couple chances, once after the Indians took all four downs to run out quite a bit of the clock, and another on a turn-over near the Blackcat goal line. Kennett's D held both opportunities in check and finished the game with a good win.

Overall, Kennett's line play looked solid both on offense and defense. The Indian d-backs are speedy and flushed out the 'Cats QB on a few occasions. Same could be said for the Blackcats d-backs. I do think the line play was a little weaker for the 'Cats than the Indians. Kennett's air game wasn't as sharp, but the QB and running backs made up for it.

I think Kennett is MUCH improved, their schedule may allow for a good 6 & 3 or better season. My Blackcats looked better than last year, their air attack being to most noticeable improvement to me, but time will tell how good they are.

Kennett plays Confluence Academy Saturday at home. Confluence lost to Maplewood 26-14 Friday.

Fredericktown play Hillsboro at home Friday. The Hawks lost to SLUH 56 -- 14 (which surprises me...). I should be home for that game!

MOJO signing off -- Reporting from the sandy beaches of Riyadh, KSA.

Replies (3)

• Mojo, why does a Class 4 team that just lost their head coach losing to a Class 6 private school suprise you?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 10:51 AM
  • Because SLUH is a soccer school with a sketchy football record the past several years. Sure they've had good teams, but going 5 & 4 then 3 & 6 a dynasty doesn't make. I figured the Hawks were better. But as said, it's still early...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 11:47 AM
  • Hate to hear about the poor kid taken off on a stretcher. We will keep them in our prayers. Also, if Nelson misses any games with an ankle injury, that will be awful for Kennett and could dramatically affect their season. Indian fans, keep us informed!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 12:45 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: