High School Football Forum: Contact Camp

Posted by ClarenceTheCat on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 11:42 AM:

Which schools will be attending Contact Camp at Sikeston on June 26 and 27?

Replies (59)

• It's at Cape our field is getting worked on

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 1:42 PM
  • Thanks TFA, saves me a wasted drive to Sikeston.

-- Posted by ClarenceTheCat on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 3:21 PM

I'm sure it's the usual teams. Sikeston,Cape,Caruthersville,Charleston, Dexter, East Prairie,Kennett, Perryville. Not 100% on that but that's all I can remember.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 3:46 PM
  • You're welcome!

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 4:00 PM
  • Kelly also participated last year but I don't know about this year. Dexter will definitely be there.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 6:08 PM
  • Sikeston ,Kennett , Cape and Dexter are the only teams going to be there

-- Posted by sikestonplayer225 on Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 11:37 PM
  • Somebody, what's the time on contact camp at Cape

-- Posted by lastride67 on Wed, Jun 25, 2014, at 3:58 PM
  • I was told 4

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Jun 25, 2014, at 5:29 PM
  • I attended yesterday's contact camp to watch Dexter and was pretty pleased by what I saw, esp since its only late June. We lost to Cape 2-1, defeated Sikeston 3-0, and tied with Kennett 2-2. Our offense was really in sync and the OL played esp well. The defense still has some work to do. We're still having trouble containing the outside sweep (Cape scored both their TD's on back-to-back sweeps, one to the left and then to the right). But on the whole, not too shabby. Certainly something to build on and create confidence for the upcoming season. Good job Bearcats!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 8:04 AM
  • Sikeston is going to be WAY down this year.Cape Central will be down a lil bit too but should win their District since the District as a whole will be down. Its good to see the little schools like Dexter beating up on the bigger schools... as long as its not my Jackson Indians! Lol

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • Preach,

Dexter varsity tied Cape 1-1. The other TD was against JV. I thought Cape looked salty and Kennett looked much improved. Sikeston has some work to but I just liked watching some football.

-- Posted by DaddyPig on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • Did Peyton Montgomery play QB for Cape? If so how did he look?

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:10 AM
  • Hey preach, ya gonna take us down this year possibly?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:17 AM
  • Ciri, time will tell but based on yesterday I like our chances. I agree that Sikeston has a lot of work to do.

DaddyPig, I won't argue with you, but as I said above, Cape scored both their TD's on back-to-back sweeps. One of them may've been again against our JV. They scored another TD on a pass, but it was called back for holding. Overall, I thought Cape was the best team, then Dexter, Sikeston, and Kennett. The Indians have a playmaker in their QB, but he needs some help.

MU, Peyton Montgomery plays for Chaffee, doesn't he? Did he transfer? If not, they had a black kid that started at QB and a white kid that was the back-up, but I don't think it was Montgomery.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:34 AM

Peyton Montgomery is enrolled at Cape Central this season. He did not take any snaps.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 11:49 AM
  • That's a tough loss for Chaffee Chris. It will really hurt the Red Devils this season. Do you think he will be the starter for Cape this season?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 12:33 PM

I'm not really sure about his situation. Usually when a player moves districts he has to sit out a year, as you're probably well aware. But if a parent/guardian switches jobs or something like that it's usually granted that the kid can play sports that season. I know he's been practicing with the team, but that's all I know.

But you're right. Huge loss for Chaffee in a year where they may have had another shot to win a district title. They'll still be a formidable team for their class but will have to make up the loss of one of the more exciting players we've seen recently.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 1:38 PM

But if he is able to play this season, I would pencil him in as the starter. Hands down.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 1:38 PM

I wouldn't count out Sikeston just yet. It is just a Contact Camp in June. I agree with you that they'll be down compared to the last several years but their down years is other teams good years so we'll see. I think the Dexter game will be a good one though.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 2:05 PM

Daddy...cape scored twice during varsity plays against Dexter. Yes they scored on back to back runs, but I believe they were on power which Cape ran a lot last year and the running backs just bounced it out. The second was called back. And then Young caught a fade route on last play for another TD. I though Dexter's D looked much improved from last year. Played hard and flew around a little bit. But it was shown yesterday that not many people can cover Young. I had him catching 4 TD's yesterday.

And you guys are correct on Montgomery transferring to Cape. I have heard that the coaches are holding him out from full contact until maybe their contact camp in July. Saw Cape run a lot more option looks yesterday then last year. I guess they think that plays more into Montgomery's skill set.

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 2:25 PM
  • Cheesehead, I agree that no one should count out Sikeston just yet. I do agree they will be down some, but how much is yet to be seen. I will say they didn't appear to have the speed that has been their calling card the last few seasons. Also their secondary had a very hard time covering Dexter's receivers. But as you say, its only June.

NewTigerFan, you are absolutely right about Al Young. He was on fire yesterday and no team could cover him. He will be a deadly combo with Montgomery throwing him the ball this season.

Two guys from Dexter that really stood out for me yesterday were WR Austin Aldridge (who also caught four TDs) and LB Noah Kronk (who was all over the field making tackles). QB Peyton Pollock also looked great.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:03 PM
  • Also, I am told by Preacher Man Fan III (a senior on the Bearcat team) that it was just a one-day camp this year. Can anyone else verify that? Chris Popst's article on Semoball said it was two-day camp.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:05 PM

2 Day...Dexter not coming back up today is what I heard

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:15 PM
  • Hate to agree with ur assessment but as we all know, talent runs in cycles and we are definitely in a bit of a downturn. Doesnt mean the desire and effort is down, but ya gotta have many gifted athletes to turn that effort and desire into W's. It happens at all levels, one needs only to look at the Rams' last decade. Im glad Dexter is on the upswing, i know its been tough there for awhile. Even Jackson had a five year swoon but will more than make up for that with the talent theyve assembled last year and this year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:22 PM
  • Oh and Cape has really been talented the last few years after a few lean yrs prior. Cycles happen.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:24 PM
  • Actually it's just been the last two seasons that have been down for Dexter, but boy were they long seasons! I just hope the injury bug finds someone else to bite this year and leaves us alone for a season. But Ciri is right, these things go in cycles.

Another topic of discussion. It seemed to both me and my oldest son yesterday that all four teams seemed to be down in terms of number of players. Did anyone else have that impression? Do you think the concussion studies are scaring off players and parents from football?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 3:37 PM
  • I noticed that also, especially on our team, not a lot of players. Hoping a bunch will be there to start in August and that maybe they were busy in other stuff. Hoping!! That's all I can do is hope!! Preacher I thought your QB did really well and actually thought ya looked good. Capes team looks huge compared to our skinny boys. I swear my son eats everything in the house and doesn't gain a pound.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 5:06 PM
  • I also think some kids want to put all their skills in only one sport thinking ahead to college.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jun 27, 2014, at 5:08 PM
  • the change in style is more to fit the central team as a whole. Doesnt really have much to do with montgomery. Central last year had a 6'2 200lbs running back and 5 seniors on their oline the power game was what that team should and did run. This year the line is not built the same so more of an option shield game fits them and their RB better. and as far as centrals district being down idk about that. I do believe that festus and hillsborough had quite a bit coming back.

-- Posted by CTpride on Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 12:48 AM

CT,

It's Hillsboro.

-- Posted by LiveByTheSword on Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 9:09 AM
  • Any reports from Day 2 of the camp? Dexter didn't participate (no idea why) so I didn't attend.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 3:42 PM
  • Well I heard we did better. I didn't go tho. Preach what is wrong with your QB they were told yesterday they couldn't tackle him? Our guys did the 7 on 7 thing at semo today, I heard Dexter did also. We won every game before the playoffs and lost by 2 to Soldan in the finals is what I was told. I think I was told that we beat Kennett 3-0 yesterday and I think tied with Cape 1-1 but not really sure on that one. So there's hope for us still.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • Cape central has many effective strategies to score even

though they have a Relatively rookie offensive line that is

anchored by a monster left tackle that should be the focus

point of defensive linemen......cape central will be fine if the

offensive line Evolves around the power left tackle

-- Posted by lineman101 on Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 8:56 PM
  • TFA, I'm not sure the answer to your question, but Pollock was wearing a knee brace Thursday. That may have been the reason for it. Yes, Dexter was also at the 7-on-7 SEMO camp, but since PMF III plays on the defensive line, it didn't involve him so I didn't attend and have no idea how the Bearcats did.

Lineman101, you are right about the huge LT Cape has this year. He is a beast!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jun 29, 2014, at 12:18 AM
  • TFA, I have also learned that teams are not allowed to blitz their LB's at contact camp, so that I am sure is the answer to your question.

In the interest of fairness, I should note that Sikeston beat Dexter twice at the 7-on-7 SEMO Camp yesterday. I understand the 2nd time was in OT and was for the championship of their pool.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jun 29, 2014, at 5:24 PM
  • Thank you, I was told about the QB thing from a girl at work my son never said anything about it but he doesn't do defense. I do remember seeing a brace on his knee also now that you mentioned it. He still has a very good arm and I think your team will be better this year. I hope u didn't take my question wrong I was really wondering if there was something wrong. I have no clue about what they can or can't do at those things.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Jun 29, 2014, at 6:08 PM
  • Oh no TFA, no problem at all with your question. I'm sorry if I came off defensive in any way in my answer.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jun 29, 2014, at 9:31 PM
  • lineman101 that left tackle still has a long way to go before central can build their offensive strategy around him. He didn't even start last year. He only played when their normal tackle went down with an injury.

-- Posted by CTpride on Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 1:20 PM
  • Good report guys!

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • Ain't none of these scrubs playing football this year got anything on the arm of Chase Ferrell.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • Ain't none of these scrubs playing football this year got anything on the arm of Chase Ferrell.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 4:21 PM
  • Umm @ hatin all day... Pretty sure Dante Vandeven will be the BEST QB in the area and one of the best in state this year.

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 8:21 AM
  • it's obvious hatin all day is delusional or being stupid.

-- Posted by gettinweird on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 8:32 AM
  • Now.. now.. @gettinweird no name calling. LOL

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 12:26 PM
  • Dante will have it goin' on this year. He is on a whole other level, hands down.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 1:21 PM

Never seen him play. Will have to make that a priority this season. I'm just glad were talking some football!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 1:56 PM
  • Chase Ferrell graduated in 2006.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 3:41 PM
  • Chase Ferrell graduated in 2006.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 3:41 PM
  • I know what I have seen C Ferrell was a beast. He would take half these scrubs to school while he is playing drunk.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 4:02 PM
  • Unfortunately it didnt happen when he was actually playing scrubs back in the mid 00's. I think we were .500 at best.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • Cirithungol17 you played with C Ferrell? As you can probably tell from what I was stating I was making a joke about it. When did you graduate?

-- Posted by hatin all day on Wed, Jul 2, 2014, at 8:19 AM
  • Haha i knew u were trying to get a rise outta us. I was a spectator back in those fair to middlin days.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jul 2, 2014, at 11:22 AM
  • Football Fan - How is Cape's district down? Yea. Cape and Sikeston apparently may be down a bit, but were talking about a Cape team who was one game away from playing in a state championship. Also, there are two teams who have alot coming back in Hillsboro and Festus. I believe Hillsboro played Cape tough for about 3 quarters and Festus had a darn good year last year with alot of them coming back. IMO, Hillsboro and Festus are the top two seeds. Its early and time will tell.

-- Posted by Gus_Belenski on Sat, Jul 5, 2014, at 9:45 PM
  • how about No Defense.

There were games that finished last year with stupid scores. 52-48....48-46 etc

I recall one game there there were 28 points scored in the last 2 minutes. What I noticed the last 2 seasons , is pretty obvious......wide open offenses, and pretty bad defenses. It has been like arena football

-- Posted by Headhunt on Sun, Jul 6, 2014, at 2:00 PM
  • @ Gus_Belenski... Cape we be dwon because they graduated all of their top players exceot for Al Young.. Sikeston will be down because it's thier cycle to be down with the age groups not as athletic in the past. Also like Headhunt said their was no defense in the games Cape played last year!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 6:59 AM
  • Agreed about the defense. I don't believe the district is down as a whole. Cape and Sikeston may be down a bit, but Hillsboro/Festus have the potential to be pretty darn good, and I am willing to bet that Farmington and Desoto will be improved as well.

-- Posted by Gus_Belenski on Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • I wonder how Hillsboro will be this year. The head coach went back to St. Clair for the upcoming season.

-- Posted by gianthook on Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 6:42 PM
  • It may be that District 2 gets bragging rights again this season........I recall everyone felt even the District 1 runner up was better than all of district 2......not that way any more.

It's all just guessing right now

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Jul 9, 2014, at 1:25 PM
  • Really? They have alot of talent coming back from what I saw last year, when they played Cape. Gonna be interesting to see how that pans out.

Still sticking with Hillsboro/Festus as the top two seeds in that district. Good luck to all of the teams, on the upcoming football season!

-- Posted by Gus_Belenski on Thu, Jul 10, 2014, at 8:54 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: