High School Football Forum: CV versus Liberty

Posted by Eaglesview86 on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 8:58 AM:

Hello from south central Missouri! You guys have a good sight here and some great football talk. Things are sure getting close and I'm looking forward to heading down your way and watching some Friday night football. I know Liberty and CV returned just about everythng so it should be a great game between 2 ranked teams in 2A. I think this game could go either way, but I'd rather see our boys start out with a good team like CV and get things going full blast right out of the gate. It's a long drive but I have a feeling it will be worth it. Should be a dandy.

Replies (41)

• Cville gave some GOOD teams a major headache/thumping last year. I'd kinda like to go watch them a time or two as well!

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 10:58 AM

Caruthersville is very good as is Liberty. Should be just about the best week one game in the area. In terms of the dome, Lamar returns a ton and stands in the way. I'd say they are the clear favorite to make it back.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 1:52 PM
  • Gotta agree with Sideline on that one, but good luck to Caruthersville in week one. One big question for the Tiger faithful, who's gonna replace big Jay Stricklin on the OL?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 1:59 PM
  • Green I wouldnt say you're stupid,but C'ville has to go through Lamar,thats going to be very tough.

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 3:12 PM
  • tuff though

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 3:30 PM

Lamar is the heavy favorite to three peat in Class 2. They dominated every Class 2 team last year and didn't lose much from that team. Hell, they could even win Class 3 IMO, they are that good.

As far as replacing Jay Stricklin, his brother Landon has the potential to be just as good, if not better than he was as a junior. The one thing I've learned about Cville, they reload on offensive lineman just like they do RB every year. They just seem to have the talent year in and year out at them two positions.

The game against Liberty this year is a toss up IMO. They got the better of Cville last year though. It should be a very close game this year with both teams returning some great talent. I'm waiting for the pickem contest to reveal my pick though. Anything can happen from now til then. I hope your Liberty Eagles have a safe trip to Cville.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 3:56 PM

You're right Bleed. I think Monroe has all the potential in the world to succeed at the next level. I see him having a great senior year, barring any injuries of course.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 4:03 PM
  • Cheesehead, do you think Coach Morgan will play Monroe on both sides of the ball this season or just use him primarily on one side or the other? At the Sikeston Contact Camp, they seemed to be using him primarily on defense.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 5:07 PM
  • Oh, bleed. Don't be such a baby... I know you've been called a lot worse than stupid. Especially by a coach's wife a few years ago. Haha!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 5:12 PM

I'm sure he will play both sides like usual. I'm sure Morgan wanted to give the younger guys reps at the contact camp. Can't say for sure though but I'm assuming Monroe will be starting RB for us this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 5:21 PM

We have a couple really good backs this year other than Monroe so he won't get 95% of the carries. Rodrick Jones will be an excellent back-up this year, along with Jamal Johnson. We have depth that's for sure.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Cheesehead. Those long trips stink sometimes. I think we could posibly be seeing 2 teams ranked in the top 5 preseason, playing each other in week one! Nerve racking for a fan. LOL. We graduated 4 starters. They were good ballers though and will be missed. I feel good about the kids coming in and taking their place, but, only time will tell. You just never know how much a team will gel with the new players. Most of the boys coming up saw a ton of varstiy last year though so we should be in good shape. I think it will come down to the team who stays mistake free and plays disciplined football that night. Both teams are too good to have a bunch of turnovers and penalties. As far as class 2, fellas, Lamar is going to be a beast. But, there are a few more teams in our class that will be a tough out for anyone. Lathrop, Strafford, Leblond, and Mountain Grove will all be very good too.

-- Posted by Eaglesview86 on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 5:31 PM
  • I'm looking forward to seeing Caruthersville this year. They were a lot better than they got credit for last year.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Caruthersville got much better as the year went on. They were not the same team at the end of the year, that Mountain View faced early on. They got players healed up and positioned much better later in the season. Hopefully it doesn't take a few weeks this season to get everything worked out. Caruthersville has, outside of Lamar, as much talent and speed as anybody in class 2. I think it comes down to how well the offensive line performs week 1, whether or not the Tigers can get a W.

-- Posted by Vizion on Sun, Aug 4, 2013, at 10:15 PM
  • I'd be willing to bet that Caruthersville has the talent and speed to play with anyone in class 3 on this side of the state. Probably even most of the class 4 schools on this side of the state as well.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Aug 5, 2013, at 7:36 PM
  • I can remember when Valle could beat class 3 and 4 teams on this side of the state

-- Posted by hb1025 on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 9:08 AM
  • There's at least 2 class 4 schools in the area that I bet Valle would beat by 3 scores this year.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 12:47 PM
  • What 2 schools could Valle beat by 3 scores in Class 4?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 12:54 PM

Festus and Perryville.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 1:04 PM
  • Perryville I agree with but don't think they could beat Festus by 21 points.. Glad football is back!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 1:08 PM
  • Farmington (this year) and Perryville.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 2:22 PM
  • Hey cheese, what level ya think monroe mite play, collegewise?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 5:17 PM
  • What does Valle's schedule look like this year? Are they playing a tough one again?

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Valle schedule

8/30/2013 7:00 PM Father Tolton Regional Catholic with Calvary Lutheran

9/6/2013 at Ste. Genevieve

9/13/2013 7:00 PM at St. Vincent

9/20/2013 Crystal City

9/27/2013 7:00 PM at Grandview (Hillsboro)

10/4/2013 Jefferson (Festus)

10/11/2013 Central (New Madrid County)

10/18/2013 at Herculaneum

10/25/2013 7:00 PM St. Pius X (Festus)

I'm not too impressed........

Warriors should go at least 8-1

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Tue, Aug 6, 2013, at 11:22 PM

Monroe has D1 potential but he has to stay focused on his academics to get to that point. Darrell is a good kid, has great work ethic to get to where he is at and is the poster child for what sportsmanship should be. I am one of the biggest fans of #21 and wish him the best after high school. Caruthersville has had tons of D1 talent during this great decade or so run of success but only one player Jimmy Jackson has seen the playing field on a D1 team. Point being if you do not focus on the books you can be the best player in the state and have your football career end after high school.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 5:11 AM
  • Why would NMCC be one of the "loses" on Valle's schedule? They beat them 40-0 last year on the road.

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:14 AM

Yeah I agree with what beef said.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 8:53 AM
  • Same schedule as last year for Valle

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 10:09 AM
  • Thanks for the monroe info bleed, beef, and cheese!! Be cool if he made it to mizzou like jimmy jackson! The mizzou radio announcer loved jimmy jackson!

Ok beef and cheese, time to go out on a limb. Give us a score in this game!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 1:32 PM

Assuming no injuries and everyone is playing I say Caruthersville wins 38-35

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 3:01 PM
  • 8 or 9 wins for Valle

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 5:18 PM

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:00 PM
  • who you think they will loose too

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:11 PM
  • SG and NMCC will be close games but Valle will lose one but I can't say which one. Herc and Jefferson will be good games but Valle just has too much as always. I kinda want to say 9-0 but I just can't pull the trigger on it.

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:26 PM
  • I will agree with you ,SG and Valle should be a very good game and could go either way

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:36 PM
  • I think Valle will beat NMCC by a couple tds.Dont think NMCC can wear Valle down,too well coached and don't let mistakes beat them.

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 7:51 PM
  • I may go to that game since SG is away that nite,could be a good one

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Aug 7, 2013, at 8:00 PM
  • Something I have observed for years about Valle and what makes them good every year is the fact they make very, very few mistakes. It seems every kid on their team is well prepared and well coached.

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 6:02 PM

No matter how much I want the Tigers to win this game I think its going to be a tough one for us. Our depth on the line is what's going to hurt us on this one. Last year Liberty would swap out offensive lines every 3-4 plays and they didn't miss a beat. We have the skill position players to compete with just about anyone but that line has to play both ways the whole game and that tends to hurt us against teams with depth on the line. Point being last years quarterfinals against MRH we beat them but they were in the same boat as us with lack of depth in the trenches but had tremendous athletes all around them. This game will be close but Liberty lost a lot less than we did and return most of their line and RB/QB.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 10:34 PM
  • 44-14, Valle rolls NMCC.

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 11:41 PM
  • I think this game between Liberty and CV will be close. but I dont see Liberty giving up 38 points. This defense is going to be good. DM is scarry. Very scarry. The kid can score in a blink of an eye. Most highschools will never face a running back that big and strong!But I will be surprised if either team gives up that many points. I'm thinking more like....Liberty 28 CV 20. Ofcourse I could be wrong! LOL. It could be a score fest. I know both offenses are exposive.

-- Posted by Eaglesview86 on Sun, Aug 11, 2013, at 10:00 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: