High School Football Forum: Carr Trophy ?? Football Award.......

Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 9:54 AM:

Was wondering when the presentation will be, and is there any discussion that is ongoing about the candidates up for this football award??

Replies (40)

• What is the Carr Trophy football award? I really have to learn more about high school football.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:42 AM
  • CARR TROPHY

Presented by the Poplar Bluff Letter Club to the best player in Southeast Missouri:

2008 M.C. Williams, East Prairie

2007 Matt Lang, Jackson

2006 Kendrickus Reed, Caruthersville

2005 Alex Becker, Dexter

2004 Adam Cecil, Caruthersville

2003 Jimmy Jackson, Caruthersville

2002 Matt Burnett, Dexter

2001 Mario Whitney, Jackson

2000 Stan Revelle, Poplar Bluff

1999 Ricky Smith, New Madrid

1998 Frank McGinty, Cape Central

1997 Devree Flint, Jackson

1996 Glen Brunke, Jackson

1995 Nathan Norman, Jackson

1994 Rodney Kennedy, Poplar Bluff

1993 Britt Mirgaux, Scott City

1992 Joe Thomas, Portageville

1991 Raphael "Tiger" Boyd, Sikeston

1990 Travis Clark, Cape Central

1989 Lamont Frazier, Charleston

1988 Carlos Cain, New Madrid

1987 Earl Wheeler, Dexter

1986 Earl Wheeler, Dexter

1985 Rany Miller, Kennett

1984 Allen Gilmore, Poplar Bluff

1983 Jimmy Gladney, Poplar Bluff

1982 Boris Whiteside, Kennett

1981 Dennis Sievers, Jackson

1980 Undra Lane, Sikeston

1979 Kip Hamby, Cape Central

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:54 AM

Has to be a Juqualin Wiggins Trohpy this season!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:59 AM

Trophy too!!!!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:59 AM
  • G'darius Stevenson.

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 11:44 AM
  • I think Sikeston and Juqualin exposed G'darius just a bit. If not for a 70 yard run to begin the first half, G'darius would have had around 40 rushing yards, and if not for calling timeouts with under a minute left against Sikeston's JV defense, he would have had only one score. I'm not trying to disrespect G'darius, I think he is a solid 2nd place, a phenomenally gifted athlete and a solid D1 prospect...plus, he should win next year, but Juqulain's achievements, both statistically and in leading his team to the semifinals, speak volumes. It really should be a foregone conlcusion who the Carr winner is this year.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 11:51 AM
  • I have to say Wiggins as well...He was a difference maker all season...and, he led by example, and never quit...the kind of player that you want on the field, and in the huddle...and exemplary off the field...I speak to what I know about Juqualin..he is a Senior that provided everything you want, from a student athlete.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 11:55 AM
  • G'darius Stevenson.

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 12:53 PM
  • Wiggins

-- Posted by mandm96 on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 12:56 PM
  • jayjay,

It's neat that you know his name, but I'm curious why you think he should be chosen over JuQualin.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 1:03 PM
  • So, does anyone know when it's announced?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 1:09 PM

Juqualin.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 1:21 PM
  • Poplar Bluff Letter Club Gridiron Banquet, is the event name. I just have not heard any news or updates as to when it will be held. Was hoping the Daily American Republic newspaper would update us ...

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:12 PM
  • the carr trophy will be awarded tomorrow night at the annual semo conference banquet in pb. i could tell you now, but i'd have to kill you. lol.

-- Posted by myershallred on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 1:18 PM

I got this answer from another thread...

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:18 PM
  • I called the Daily American Republic. Nobody knew when it was. However, I wasn't able to talk to anyone from sports. They were out of the office until tomorrow morning.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:19 PM
  • Aha. Thank you, most esteemed Headhunt for your tenacity and vigor in tracking down the answer to this brain twisting question.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:21 PM
  • I was hoping for a bit more detail...perhaps it will be added....it would be nice to know.....lots of teams in the area, lots of talent....I know many of the very same players that had on helmets and shoulder pads last week...are shooting layups now....It would be nice, to let them savor the season(s) they had this fall, and have a few folks stand and applaud them one more time, for a job well done.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:46 PM

G'Darius's stats are better. In the top 5 season leader rankings in the area, G'darius finished number 2 with around 1,000 more rushing yards than JuQualin and neither were in the top 5 for passing. G'DARIUS STEVENSON FOR CARR TROPHY WINNER!!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:50 PM
  • BuckMajor,

I think the nature in which those stats were attained needs to be considered, plus the fact that Juqualin had over 1,000 yards rushing AND passing AND completed 68% of his passes with a wonderful TD/INT ratio of 16/6. The fact is G'Darius was kept in games just a tad longer than would be expected in some blowouts. This was almost certainly done to pad his stats. Case in point is the Sikeston game.

With 3 minutes left and Sikeston up 34-6, Sikeston sent in their JV defense. Instead of NMCC putting in their JV players, they kept in the starters. An observant gentleman next to me commented, "Now you're seeing a coach trying to make sure one of his players gets the Carr award." NMCC proceeded to keep in the starters and use all of their timeouts so G'Darius could rack up some more yards and a TD against a JV defense in a game that had already been decided.

Coach Gibbs has more class than me. I fear as soon as NMCC called a timeout and kept the starters in, I would have trotted my first team defense right back out. But he's a better man than me. In any event, I think this example, which was not isolated, should be considered when evaluating G'Darius' stats. As I said earlier. This is not to disrespect G'Darius. He is a wonderful athlete and deserving of substantial recognition. I just don't think going by his stats, which don't tell the whole story, is appropriate. Furthermore, I don't even fault his coaching staff. You can hardly blame a coach for trying to help one of his players gain a little recognition. I am sure Juqualin, Eli Jackson and Jarian Wims were standing on the sidelines during the second half of the games against Charleston, Dexter, Kennett, Jackson, West Plains and North County absolutely DYING to get in the game and improve their stats. I know that Eli fell just a bit over 200 yards shy of breaking Sikeston's all-time rushing record. He could have captured that record against Charleston or Dexter if he would have been given a mere ten or twelve more carries.

But in the end, No harm. No foul. However, the clear choice for the Carr award, after taking all factors into consideration, is Wiggins. IMHO.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 3:05 PM
  • jayjay blue,

You have to be one of those people who hate sikeston because as long as i have read these blogs and forums you always are trying to put down sikeston. And i hope that jayjay blue doesn't mean your a charleston fan because there football program sucks!!!! And if you are i hope they make a shirt with a bluejay in a bulldogs mouth!!!

-- Posted by go getta on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:29 PM
  • juqualin wiggins!!!! deserves every bit of this award! Im excited to see were he plays his college football at.

-- Posted by go getta on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:31 PM
  • Juqualin Wiggins, by far. The best player in the area and proved it night in and night out. I think it was football monkey that said it best. If Coach Gibbs kept Wiggins and Jackson and the rest of the starters in for games in the second half then their stats would be off the charts too. There were numerous games where they left in the 3rd quarter and one or two games they left in the second quarter.

Also, this award is not just about the best stats. If that was the case then Sikeston's Justin Robinson would have won it in 1999 when he rushed for over 2,000 yards and 28 touchdowns in 10 games. This award is essentially a "Player of the Year" award. And that has to be Wiggins. There really isn't a discussion about it. He was the best player, the leader, and the MVP on by far the best team in the area.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 10:33 PM
  • Just to clear things up, the Carr Award is given to the best player in the SEMO Conference, not the best player in Southeast Missouri. (Not all teams in Southeast Missouri are in the SEMO Conference.)

-- Posted by moemoney on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 11:17 PM
  • Well breaking it down as you say: I was at all the NMCC football games and I can assure you G'Darius did not play any if much of the 2nd half in several football games:

Jamboree - Did not play. Fell a week behind Wiggins being prepared for season.

Bluff - Played whole game, as did Wiggins.

Cape Central - Played whole game, don't know about Wiggins.

Potosi - Played whole game. (Team ranked in state. Which team regular season did Wiggins play against that was ranked?)

Charleston - Played 1 1/2 quarters.

Sikeston - Played whole game, as did Wiggins on offense.

Park Hills Central - Played whole game, one day after getting over flu.

Dexter - Played 2 1/2 quarters offense.

Kennett - Played 3 quarters offense.

Perryville - Played 3 quarters.

Fredericktown - Played 3 quarters. If I remember correctly, your first game of the year and Wiggins played whole game.

Potosi - Played whole game. (Once again ranked in state as #2 team. Again this is 2nd round of playoffs. Sikeston at this point has yet to play anyone similar.)

Priory - Played whole game.

If you really want to break it down, we have 7 common games, including playing each other. GO CHECK THE STATS!!!

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 6:14 AM
  • This award is not about stats. Stats play a huge role but in the end it's about the best football player. You ask most college coaches to evaluate Stevenson and Wiggans and I think you get two different answers. Stevenson is the better offense player. He has better vision, more powerful, and he faster and more elusive. Wiggans is a better defensive player. The way he can play man or zone and break on the ball is the best I have seen at the high school level in a long time. Both of these guys deserve the award so maybe they will split.

As far as attacking Coach Pix and saying he was padding stats for G'Darius is a joke. MayorEagle broke it down for ya. Yes he played the whole Sikeston game but I watched Sikeston play Helias and Helias but there JV on the field and Sikeston's starting "O" was on the field. I would like to see Stevenson win because in my eyes he is the best football player. Wiggans is great and is deserving of the award but I think Stevenson is a little better. It's just an opinion, like everyone else's on here, so let's all keep our sanity and enjoy the next Carr Trophy winner.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 8:36 AM
  • Wiggins game-by-game according to the Standard Democrat articles and box scores

FREDERICKTOWN.....played 2 1/2 quarters and threw 4 passes

CHARLESTON....played 1 1/2 quarters and had 3 carries and threw zero passes

DEXTER.....played a half and had 4 carries and threw 4 passes

JACKSON....played whole game but had just 9 carries

CAPE CENTRAL....played 3 1/2 quarters....threw 8 passes and 11 carries

NMCC.....missed first quarter with injury, played the rest in a scaled back role, just 4 carries and 7 passes....Stevenson had 76 of his 109 rushing on one carry (Wiggins was not in the game on D). Stevenson was 4-10 passing for 48 yards

KENNETT...played 3 1/2 quarters in sloppy conditions. Had 15 passes and 9 carries

POPLAR BLUFF...played whole game

WEST PLAINS....played 2 1/2 quarters. 9 carries, 12 passes

FARMINGTON....played 3 quarters in a downpour. 14 carries, 6 passes

NORTH COUNTY...played a half. 7 passes and 5 carries

POPLAR BLUFF....played whole game.

LADUE....played whole game.

HELIAS....played whole game

No opinions here. Just facts.

Wiggins rushed for 1,000 and threw for 1,000. Is he the first player in SEMO to ever do that? I don't know. Just asking.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 9:51 AM
  • Oh, Wiggins didn't play in the jamboree either. Not that it matters, but MayorEagle pointed it out for his guy.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 9:58 AM
  • I wonder , other than it looks like Earl Wheeler...has anyone won this award as a Junior?

Not saying it has to be a senior winning it, I am just saying the Award seems to be about the best football player in SEMO. Stats are an intangible, that don't always show up as an accurate portrayal of a players worth to a team. I think Juqualin Wiggins has other intangibles, and healthy ststs as well, that made him THE player to watch , and make a difference, in SEMO this fall. Leadership, confidence, maturity, and an overall team player. I ask myself what traits are the ones that make a difference....sometimes, they are not ones that can be defined on paper. THAT is what Wiggins brought to the football field. I do not doubt Stevensons worth as a player, but we played them...and if I have a chance to pick a player to lead my team, I choose Wiggins. It is somethng that goes beyond stats, goes beyond strenth and quickness, as someone said in an earlier post. This is about a player that made a difference, on both sides of the ball, the locker-room, and the classroom and hallways of school. Wiggins, IS that player.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 11:19 AM
  • My pick would probably be Juqualin. His stats are outstanding, and he was the leader of the best team in the area. I have heard nothing but good things about Juqualin off the court/field as well. Plus he's a senior, that always seems to help. I believe G'Darius is a better football player, and has an excellent chance to win next year, but I think this is Juqualin's year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 1:04 PM
  • FarmBoy if you believe G'Darius is the better football player and this award goes to the best football player, then why wouldn't he be your choice? Wiggans had a ton of talent around him, who did G'Darius have? Anderson did not play in three games, Jenkins didn't comeback until the end of the season and Ealy was suspect on Offense all year long. G'darius put this team on his back, was the workhorse for this team, and help carry them to the quarterfinals. If that isn't leadership than I don't know what leadership is.

Semohoops, Wiggans didn't play the first quarter of the NMCC game because he had been sick all week, showed up at school around noon on Friday and played football Friday Night. No injury just a miraculous recovery from a severe illness that kept him out off school the whole week.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 2:33 PM
  • coachpanther,

Juqualin had a thigh bruise that kept him out the first quarter. Had nothing to do with an illness. The hope was to go with a backup and allow Juqualin to rest his leg. It didn't work out and Juqualin sucked it up and played through the injury.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 2:38 PM
  • coachpanther,

Meant to add to the above, the injury was suffered during the Cape game the week before. He missed several series in the 4th quarter after the injury. I think you may have Juqualin confused with another player for Sikeston who DID have to sit out the NMCC game due to illness.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 2:39 PM
  • Don't know where you get your info Coach Panther...but J Wiggins was not sick that week...as football monkey said, he had a deep thigh bruise from Cape Central game...and was at school all week, went to practice, but did not participate because of injury...nothing miraclulous, and no "severe illness"...

and so I guess NMCC's offensive line was not any help to G Stevenson? And Kony is now..."suspect"...on offense....so Stevenson did it all alone ?? hmmm

How about Wiggins started playing qb in August THIS year....learned the spread offense THIS yr..no, it does not mean he was at another position last year, since he did not even PLAY last year....

No one is saying Stevenson isn't an exceptional athlete....just think that Wiggins had more of an impact to the entire SEMO area....went from an unknown quantity, to QB'ing a potent, hard to stop offense....and lead the way. Maybe Wiggins not doing it alone, adds to his maturity, and decision making ability. Isn't that what makes a leader successful...?

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • Everyone can quit debating because Wiggins wins the Carr Trophy!!!!!!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 9:07 PM
  • Very pleased to see. Well deserved.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 8:12 AM
  • Congrats to Juqualin and the Sikeston football team. Very deserving by production and leadership. Stevenson from NMCC was also an outstanding player and would have been a good choice also. A good year for SEMO area football.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:01 AM

Congrats to J Wiggins. Best believe G'Darius will get his next year!!!!

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:36 AM
  • Coachpanther, nice try, but you are wrong of course as several pointed out. Amazing how people get on here and just post crap that just isn't true in an effort to try to make a kid look bad.

Congratulations Juqualin and the Sikeston Bulldog football team!

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 9:36 AM
  • Semohoops,

First of all no one was trying to make a kid look bad. I got my info from a teacher/coach from SIKESTON! So if you want to straighten out the hometown crew then go ahead. I never said Wiggans wasn't a good football player, I just thought, and still do, think Stevenson was the best player in the SEMO conference this year. No disrespect to Wiggans he was a fine choice and hopefully Stevenson duplicated this year and gets one of his own. Congrats to Wiggans and I hope he plays football at the next level but some thing tells me he is leaning towards basketball.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 2:32 PM
  • See, there is the problem. You took what somebody said, took it as the gospel and posted it where everybody can see it. Why would you post that if you weren't trying to discount his character or his abilities or the Sikeston coaching staff's integrity in some way? Next time you post something, you may want to double check your facts.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Dec 3, 2009, at 2:39 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: