High School Football Forum: Caruthersville 12 Lamar 69 ---biased game summary---

Posted by Judgedog on Sat, Nov 17, 2012, at 9:25 PM:

November 17, 2012 Caruthersville 12 Lamar 69

On an absolutely gorgeous November afternoon in Lamar, the Class 2 Semifinal was a "cat-fight"...a battle between the Caruthersville Tigers and the Lamar Tigers. Since both teams are Tigers, I will refer to Caruthersville as the "Tigers", and simply refer to the Lamar Tigers as "Lamar". OUR Tigers ran into a buzzsaw, as the Tiger were never able to contain Lamar's double tight/double wing "spinner" offense, as Lamar just plainly whipped the Tigers: 12-69

Lamar, wearing all black uniforms, trimmed in red would win the toss...and pretty much everything else on this day. Lamar deferred, so the Tigers would receive the opening kick.

On the Tigers' first offensive series, Darrell Monroe carried for 6 yards on 1st down, and then for 2 yards on 2nd down. On 3rd and 2, Monroe was stacked up for a 5 yard loss, forcing the Tigers to punt, to the Lamar 44.

Lamar quickly established their dominance at the line of scrimmage, and in the running game, moving the ball down to the Tigers' 8, before a holding penalty moved Lamar back to the 18. The Tiger defense stiffened, and Lamar was forced to kick a field goal, which was good. Ben Bailey's 35 yard field goal gave Lamar the early 0-3 lead.

The Tigers again were forced to punt after 3 downs, and the Tigers caught one of the few breaks they would catch on the day as the punt was touched by a Lamar player and recovered by the Tigers Kendall Pittman at the Lamar 47.

The Tigers would strike quickly...and through the air, when on 1st down Tyler Grissom found Hunter Dickey for a 47 yard TD. Dickey went high into the air over the Lamar defender to make a great catch. The Lamar defender fell to the ground, and Dickey raced into the endzone. The PAT failed, but the Tigers had gained the lead: 6-3.

The Tiger score seemed to ignite a fire under the Lamar players, and 1:47 later Lamar answered with a 30 yard Levi Petersen run. Bailey added the PAT, and Lamar regained a lead they would never relinquish, 6-10.

The Tigers would again go 3 and punt. Lamar took over from their own 34, and on 1st down Jared Beshore broke loose for a 66 yard TD run. The PAT failed, 6-16.

The Tigers fumbled the kickoff, giving Lama the ball as the Tigers 24. However, the Tiger averted disaster and finally stopped Lamar without a 1st down on 4 plays, and the Tigers would take over at their own 15.

Unfortunately, the Lamar defense again forced a punt after only 3 downs, and Lamar would take over at their own 46. Again on 1st down Lamar would score with a long run, 54 yards by Petersen. Brett McDonald added the 2point run, increasing Lamar's lead: 6-24

Both teams traded possessions, each going 3 and punt. The Tigers would begin from their own 48. Grissom was dropped for a loss of 3. On 2nd down, Monroe only gained 1. On 3rd and 12, Grissom hit Steve Rodgers, who tipped the ball, over the Lamar defender, to himself, caught the ball and outran the remaining Lamar defenders to the endzone. The 2-point run failed. Tigers 12 Lamar 24

Lamar responded quickly again. Starting from their own 35, Petersen carried for 13 yards on 1st down. On the next play, Petersen weaved his way through the Tiger defense 52 yards into the endzone. Tripp Tucker added the 2point run. Tigers 12 Lamar 32

The Tigers again failed to gain a 1st down and punted to the Lamar 33. Lamar quickly moved the ball downfield mainly on Beshore runs, and Petersen got the TD from 21 yards out. The 2point pass to Sam Bailey increased Lamar's lead to a commanding 12-40

Tiger Myron Woods had an excellent kickoff return all the way down to the Lamar 13, but a Tiger block in the back penalty negated the return and gave the Tigers the ball at their own 30. The Tigers would again go 3 and punt, punting to the Lamar 14.

Lamar again quickly moved downfield, behind a nice Ethan Taffner 14 yard run, and a 23 yard Beshore carry. Beshore also caught a pass for a gain of 17, down to the Tigers 31. A perfectly executed double reverse by Lamar, and McDonald raced in from 31 yards out, with only 38 seconds left in the half. Petersen added the 2point run. Lamar added to its commanding lead, 12-48.

Any remaining optimism by Tiger fans would quickly be dashed, when on the Tigers next offensive play, a short Tiger pass was intercepted by Sam Bailey and returned 26 yards to the endzone. Lamar was now in complete control, 12-55.

The 2nd half would see a running clock, and the Tigers kick to Lamar. Lamar began from their own 20, but moved the ball 80 yards in 8 plays, with Petersen getting the TD honor from 10 yards out. Bailey added the PAT. Tigers 12 Lamar 62

The Tigers next offensive series finally saw a little burst of energy, as Tiger star Darrell Monroe broke a tackle, raced around the left end and was knocked out of bounds after a gain of 34, down to the Lamar 36. The Tigers would only gain one more yard, and would turn the ball over on downs.

Lamar moved the ball 65 yards on only 5 plays, and Tripp Tucker would get into the endzone on a 13 yard run. Todd Morrow boomed the PAT. Tigers 12 Lamar 69

The 4th quarter sailed by quickly, with both teams having 2 possessions. Lamar inserted their 2nd team offense with 8:30 left in the game.

FINAL: TIGERS 12 Lamar 69

Congratulations to the Lamar Tigers. To be brutally honest, it is hard for me to imagine that you will not add your 2nd Class 2 Championship next Saturday. Best of luck in the Dome!

I should add that the atmosphere at Lamar was simply amazing. Really nice people. Very knowledgeable football fans. An all around classy organization. I wish the people of Lamar would tell me how we can get 76 boys out for our team, have a huge band, cheeleading squad, and heck, even two Tiger mascots! Very impressive for any high school...especially a Class 2 school.

Also, Tiger fans don't think that Lamar is a 1 or 2 hit wonder! Pretty much every Lamar player mentioned in this summary will be back again next year. Perhaps we can have a semifinal rematch in 2013 at Hopke Field in Caruthersville!

OUR Tigers end this very successful season 10-3. 5 Consecutive District Championships (9 out of the last 10). Finally dispatching Maplewood-Richmond Heights in the quarterfinals. Only losses to a very tough Mountain View Liberty team, a strong Class 3 Ste. Genevieve team, and the defending Class 2 Champion Lamar Tigers (who WILL win it again this year...sorry Blair Oaks, but you shall see).

Unfortunately, the injury bug that plagued our Tigers throughout this season continued in today's game, as Colt Callens, Kenneth Pittman and Kendall Pittman were all injured today. Prayers for a speedy recovery for each one of these Tigers, who poured their heart and soul into this season, and into today's game.

Sadly, these Tigers played their last game as a Caruthersville Tiger today: Steven Rodgers; Hunter Dickey; Kendall Pittman; Eric Villegas; Myron Woods; Kenneth Pittman; Tyler Hendrickson; Blaine Gordon; and Jay Stricklin. Eric and Tyler were unable to play today, due to injuries/surgeries from earlier in the season. Each and every one of you played a vital role in the success of the Tigers during the last 4 years. Each one of you was a District champion ever year in which you played. As I told many of you today...there were 60 other Class 2 schools in Missouri who were sitting at home today. You guys helped add to that wonderful Tiger tradition...and never forget: Once a Tiger...always a Tiger.

Congratulations to Coach Nathan Morgan, Brad Treece, Stacy Bradshaw, Jimmy Jackson and Jonathan Haddon. You guys did an amazing job this year. I honestly don't know if we had the same offensive or defensive starters play more than 3 weeks with all of the injuries suffered throughout the season.

2013 Tigers...take some notes from Lamar. They obviously are well coached...which means they listen to their coaches and do as they are told. They were extremely strong...which means they work very hard in the weight room. Championships may be won in November, but they can be lost if you fail to work hard in the weight room in December, January, and the rest of the year. Get into that weight room and WORK. It will be worth it...ask the Pittmans!

Again, best of luck to Lamar in your quest for your 2nd Championship. And to OUR TIGERS, we are so very proud of you. I am already looking forward to the 2013 edition of Tiger Nation...another Class 2 District 1 Championship...and perhaps another shot at Lamar next year on OUR way to the Dome!

Replies (10)

• I know this Kennett fan is proud of the Tigers. I usually get to see them in the post season but didn't get to this year. A good season indeed, with much to be proud of.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sat, Nov 17, 2012, at 9:47 PM
  • Enjoyed your biased summaries all season long Judgedog. How many yards did Monroe have today?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Nov 17, 2012, at 10:22 PM
  • Preacher...I don't keep the stats, and the stats guy didn't email them to me. To be frank, not very many. More than 50 but less than 100. They were pretty much hitting him as the ball was being handed to him.

It has been a while since we failed to score a rushing TD in a game!

Lamar's defense was very good...their offense is SCARY good!

-- Posted by Judgedog on Sun, Nov 18, 2012, at 8:46 PM

I would love to see Centralia from 2003 take on Lamar from this year. That would be an epic game. The two best Class 2 teams I have ever seen.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 18, 2012, at 8:54 PM
  • Cheese...I just posted a similar comment on mosports.

Hard to compare the two, but Lamar's offense has to be the best Class 2 offense I have ever seen. Centralia would probably have the edge on defense.

Obviously, we will never know.....but I would love to see that game!

-- Posted by Judgedog on Sun, Nov 18, 2012, at 9:28 PM
  • Judgedog, Caruthersville's OL has been so solid all season, so why couldn't they handle Lamar's defense? Why were they able to get such good penetration to the backfield?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Nov 18, 2012, at 9:40 PM
  • Monroe had 60 yards on 12 carries.

Preacher...Lamar was strong, quick and well coached.

-- Posted by Judgedog on Mon, Nov 19, 2012, at 8:42 AM
  • Lamar's offense was definitely the best Class 2 offense I have ever seen. I would give them a slight edge over that 2003 Centralia team.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Mon, Nov 19, 2012, at 8:43 AM
  • Judgedog,

Another great write-up! Be proud of the great season your team has had and look forward to what I'm sure will be a bright future.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Nov 19, 2012, at 11:50 AM
  • Nice Write up. I am a Lamar alum (1989) and I hope you don't think I'm invading this thread. I just wanted to say that, for as far as you all had to drive, I couldn't believe how full the visitor bleachers were! I live in Joplin and only make it to a few games a year, and I have never seen those bleachers THAT full! Not even when Lamar is playing a team that is less than an hour drive. It spoke volumes to me about you, your team, and your town. Best of luck next year and I hope to see you again!

-- Posted by JDR48 on Tue, Nov 20, 2012, at 2:13 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: