High School Football Forum: Carr Trophy

Posted by hs-sports on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 1:03 AM:

My first comment will be that Monroe from Cville would most likely be in line for this if health was on his side. I would also like to say that you have to be in the three SEMO Conferences. That should take BG out of the conversation. After that it seems to come down to Gross from Sikeston, McCoy from Malden, and Allen from Pville. All three are great players, there is no doubt in that. If you look at numbers McCoy is ahead by almost 400 yards ands ten TD's. Those are hard to argue. I know people will say that he is from a small school, but if you have seen him play he could start for everyone. Very good player and a class act from what I have seen. I know other players are great and this is not knock against them,but I have seen most top schools play and McCoy stands out.

Replies (22)

• Well said couldn't agree more

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 9:31 PM

McCoy is truly a remarkable young man and a great player also I know him personally great write up the truth.

-- Posted by MaldenGreenwaveSports on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 10:29 PM
  • No comments here?

-- Posted by hs-sports on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 10:20 PM
  • I've seen Monroe in action, kid is legit awesome, but the health issue will knock him out. Allen I know nothing about. That leaves Gross and McCoy....it would appear the numbers significantly favor McCoy, there is, however the issue of how far the team goes.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 10:38 PM

I guess I'll throw in my two cents about the Carr this year. I don't think Darrell should get it because he missed half the season. If he was 100% all season, he would have won it hands down.

I think it comes down to two people; Gross and McCoy. If we are talking about just offensive production, it would obviously go to McCoy from Malden. Aside from Monroe, he is the best back in Semo. He has put up outstanding numbers this year on the offensive side of the ball.

On to Kyland Gross. Not only does he have decent offensive stats, but the kid plays pretty good defense as well. If you want to talk versatility, this kids has it all. He has played against some tougher teams than McCoy and still puts up good numbers. You don't see very many starting QB's play both ways all game and still produce the way he does.

If I had to choose between the two right now, I'd say Gross from Sikeston. If it were to go to McCoy,that would be fine by me as well. Both kids have earned it IMO.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 10:12 AM
  • 2 cents worth......... I'd vote for McCoy.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 3:58 PM

Everyone wrote Malden's season off after they lost their QB from last year. I think McCoy's numbers make the case for him, but more importantly; he has been a difference maker for the Greenwave!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 5:34 PM

That's true Catfish. I was one of the people who said they'd be lucky to get a couple wins. I was totally wrong, and I'm man enough to admit that. They definitely stepped their game up this year after losing their star QB from last year. Much props to them.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 5:42 PM
  • Kyland Gross from Sikeston deserves this award.. he is a game changer!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 5:51 PM

They're both really good players who have led their teams to great positions in the playoffs. Either one would be deserving. Let's see how these next couple of weeks play out.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 7:00 PM
  • Just saying I read article in DAR and talked to a malden parent today . I thought McCoy had a good chance at Carr but after I found out he has 31 tds and plays all plays on def just like they say gross does McCoy should win hands down!

-- Posted by hs-sports on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 1:05 AM
  • It was a nice article. I agree!

-- Posted by mobrigade on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 7:52 AM
  • To the victor go the spoils. Might not be the case in the Carr Trophy but I sincerely think this award goes to the best player who takes his team the farthest. After watching all the SEMO conference teams either in person or on film, my vote goes to Blake Flanigan of Sikeston. It's a long shot but this kid is just sticks out. McCoy, Allen, Gross and Monroe are all worthy. Great young men and wouldn't be disappointed if any of them won it. Best of luck to all the area teams and I'm looking forward to a great night of football.

-- Posted by sonny6killer on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:00 AM
  • 31 TDs in a season is a remarkable stat. Putting it somewhat in perspective, Ezekiel Elliott the Ohio state recruit from JBs has 30. And only 2 backs in StL area have more than 31. He wins it easily. My opinion.

-- Posted by Kzar on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:02 AM
  • kyland gross is a great player. He knows what to do in a close game because he has alot of varsity playing time since he was in the 10th grade he has been a starter. my vote goes to kyland gross

-- Posted by head coach on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:51 AM
  • I'm sure either Gross or McCoy is very deserving of the Carr Trophy but it's not just about stats. Sikeston scored 71 points against Perryville last week. You know how many points Gross had? Zero. He played one quarter of football and had four carries. The bottom line is Gross could have had as many touchdowns and yards as he wanted that game but his number wasn't called. This happened to James Watson on numerous ocassions last year (getting four or five carries in blowouts). It's hard to compare the two because they play different schedules and different positions. Basically you just have to watch them both in person to make a decision and I'm sure the voters on the award have done that.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:05 AM
  • I would give my vote to GROSS he's been the most valuable player( plays both sides of the ball) on the BEST team in the area hands down. He also has the stats to back it up so if he has some of the best stats and is most valuable on the best team then its a no brainer...KYLAND GROSS#3

-- Posted by semo sports guy on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:24 AM

Daniel Allen from Portageville is a legit back. McCoy is good but Daniel should win the Carr trophy. There is no way McCoy is ahead of everyone by almost 400 yards and 10 TDs. When Portageville played Malden everyone seen who had their normal averages... Daniel not McCoy. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying McCoy sucks or anything because he doesn't but he also isn't better than Daniel.

-- Posted by Ric Flair (WOOOOOO) on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:40 AM

there is a way, because he is.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:51 AM
  • If you are familiar with Malden and Portageville there is a huge difference in the number of touches each player gets. McCoy touches the ball on almost every run Malden has. Pville spreads the run around among 4 players. If Allen had as many touches as McCoy he would also have huge numbers. Also, Pville's coach pulled Allen out of several games so they would not run up the score. McCoy is legit and also deserves props.

-- Posted by legit on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 6:24 PM
  • ignorance must be bliss in legit's world! By looking at semoball stats through 8 games Allen had 25 more carries, 300 less yards, and 9 less tds. This is not a knock against Allen, he is a great player. It is a knock against people who think they know the facts and they don't. The truth is Allen had more touches than McCoy with less output. So if we want to be "legit" we should at least be able to count!

-- Posted by hs-sports on Tue, Nov 6, 2012, at 12:22 AM
  • BTW good luck to Cville as they are the only SEMO Conference team still playing. Bring one home for us Tigers!

-- Posted by hs-sports on Tue, Nov 6, 2012, at 12:24 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: