High School Football Forum: The applications are in......the next Head Football Coach at Jackson is:

Posted by Fire Rita Now on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:22 PM:

Well all the applications are in for the job at Jackson. Who are the front runners for the job?

Replies (39)

• Everybody breathe easy.......

Notre Dame doesn't have football so Rita won't be able to bring one of her puppets over to Jackson. Who will Rita pick? Of course, the School Board won't stand up to her so she is probably pushing Notre Dame's girls soccer coach as the new Head Coach.

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:29 PM
  • Probably Mike Maguire...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:43 PM
  • Steve Spagnuolo??

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:23 PM
  • I laughed out loud, mandm.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:24 PM
  • He might be able to coach the Indians because he sure can't coach the Lambs! LOL!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:26 PM
  • I'd pay attention to this guy

Head Coach Brent Eckley has lead Union to an remarkable 30 and 4 over the past 3 years. Word is he may be very interested...and so may Jackson.

Just some rumblings I have heard..

-- Posted by Headhunt on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:47 PM
  • Well Tony Sparano and Todd Haley have put in for the job after yesterday.

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 7:12 AM

Why would Eckley leave Union?

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 7:50 AM
  • Can't imagine him leaving Union a strong program in class 4 I think for a rebuild job at Jackson. Does he have some connection to Jackson? Here are some names that I think might have interest in job

1. Nathan Norman-hometown boy has coached there in past.

2. Kent Gibbs-resides in Jackson. Already retired from teaching just coaching at Sikeston

3. Brett Blackman-hometown boy. Took Charleston to playoffs this year.

I'm sure there is a lot of interest in this job. Big school, great tradition, and they will win again. It will be very interesting to see who gets this job.

-- Posted by m-i-z on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:51 AM

Why so much hatred for Ms. Fisher? She has helped in building one of the best schools in the area. Yeah she hired a coach from ND, so what? Coach Scott, even if you don't like him, has put together winning seasons at Jackson. But that is not the point. Her job should be more worried about producing a good SCHOOL, not athletics! Student athlete is the big thing there.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:13 AM

Just curious as to why Jackson hasn't been winning, in people's opinions. I'm familiar with the history, just not the situation. 1990's 6 district championships, and several playoff wins. One playoff appearance in the last 10 years. Why? Please be nice, no need to slander any coaches!

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:29 AM
  • Most of it is cycle. Most hs go through talent surges when they are really good and talent down swings when they are bad.

Look at some of the top tier teams last few years. Sikeston, Cville, Valle. Wasn't too long ago when they weren't. Making deep playoff runs either.

Coaching can make up for a little bit of that but not a ton. At HS level most wins/losses dictated by who has more talent on their team. I've seen lots of terrible coaches win lots of ballgames because they were at right school right time. Also seen lots of great coaches lose a bunch for not having a lot of talented players.

As for Jackson prolly not getting the kids they used to get on team. Some of their kids may lost the work ethic that Jackson was once well known for

-- Posted by m-i-z on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 10:59 AM
  • Eckley doesn't tend to stay in one place for too long mainly because he has a tendency to tick alot of people off. From my understanding his daughter is set to graduate from Union High School this spring and his star quarterback is also graduating. Union did have a solid freshman QB this year but I think he is seizing on a potential window to change his surroundings. Won't be too surprised to see him down at Jackson at all.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:43 PM
  • I've heard that there might be interest in said coach and Jackson.

Question: Jackson's attempt at running the spread a few years ago didn't go over very well at all. If coach Eckley gets the job, how will his offense go over with the fans (some of which can get vicious (from what I've read on this site))?

-- Posted by gianthook on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 6:07 PM
  • The talk coming from the coaching staff is that Nathan Norman has already met with Anderson and Fisher and that he has already begun meeting with Assistant Coaches. Gross has decided he would remain the OC. So that is good news for our the opposing teams' defenses. Sleep well Indian fans, all is well on the reservation with Fisher, Powell, and Martin making the decisions. The changed we hoped for in Eckley and/or Gibbs is not going to happen!

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:49 PM
  • Miz,

Your exactly right regarding talent or no talent. However, as fans we would like to see some improvement in the performance of our team (not measured in wins or loses). Kids at Jackson are not the same as they were when u played in the 90s. Surely a coach would be able to teach a player to improve over three years. Van Hitt is a good man and coach, he was let down by his assistants, who try to get by with as little work as possible. Yeah he's been around for awhile and it probably was time for a change, but he doesn't coach every position. Changes need to be made just not in the Head Coach, but some assistants need to resign as well. I seriously doubt Norman will make any changes that so desperately need to be made.

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 8:06 PM
  • Rufus R. Jones,

Just to let you know there were actually 3 playoff appearances in the 2000's with all three leading to a final ranking of third in state. Also from 2000-2008 there were 7 winning seasons with four of those seasons having 8 plus wins. But the problem after 2008 was that players did not have a work ethic and felt entitled due to the fact that both the 2007 and 2008 teams reached the semifinals and got third in state. The 2009 team was the end of a five season streak above .500. The current players simply do not want to work in the weight room or on the field. FYI I was on the 2007 team and have kept close with the program, player, coaches, and weight room coaches.

-- Posted by mu.fan2221 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 10:12 PM
  • Gianthook, I'm not actually sure how Coach Hitt's spread offense worked, but I can safely say that with Eckley he will get the kids to buy into his system. If they don't they either won't play or won't make the squad period. At Union he had 50 players on the entire roster this past season He had 9 assistants helping him out as well. That meant 1 coach for every 5 players which meant more attention to helping each and every player to improve. Of course having a stud QB at his disposal helps him out plenty and he's created a factory of QB's at Union.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 10:44 PM

mu.fan2221- As there are no consolation rounds in football playoffs, there is no 3rd place, of course. I think you meant they had 3 semi-final appearances.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 11:35 AM
  • Not sure what showstopper means about Eckley not staying in one place too long. I checked it out and he has only been at 2 different schools a s a head coach. 6 years at one and 7 years at union. His record at the first school was just as good as the second.

-- Posted by Gamer1 on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 9:38 PM
  • There are of course no consolation rounds, but there is a final ranking of teams by coaches and press. The result of these final post season rankings resulted in a third best team ranking in the state. With all losses in the semi-finals coming to the eventual state champion.

-- Posted by mu.fan2221 on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 10:59 PM
  • Eckley would be a great hire. Period.

-- Posted by roll tide roll on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 7:47 AM
  • Gamer1, what I meant by that was, that at both schools he really could have stayed as long as he wanted (not that it's a sure thing he's leaving Union). At Montgomery County he could have turned them into the small school version of Webb City. Instead he left as soon as his QB went to Central Missouri State.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 4:57 PM
  • Eckley actually left Montgomery before that qbs senior year

-- Posted by Gamer1 on Fri, Dec 16, 2011, at 7:41 PM
  • The thing I see is that the program needs a fresh approach and message. This goes for players as well as coaches that would remain on staff. Jackson is so predictable on offence. They just havent had the talent to get away that approach since the talent pool not as deep. These kids need to be coached up and worked hard in the weight room in the off- season.

-- Posted by objective fan on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 10:00 PM
  • Who gets the job? My bet would be Gibbs or Norman. How often does Jackson school hire someone without a connection to school system & program? Not often doesn't seem like it.

-- Posted by m-i-z on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 1:30 PM

I can pretty much confirm that Gibbs will be coaching in Sikeston whether he's offered the Jackson job or not.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 4:03 PM
  • Be great if they bring some new blood into the area. Might shake things up everywhere.

-- Posted by objective fan on Thu, Dec 22, 2011, at 11:30 PM

It's official: Eckley now Jackson coach, according to press release from school.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 4:02 PM
  • After sorting through a total of 18 applications and interviewing three candidates Jackson has come to the decision of hiring Coach Eckley from Union. AD John Martin said they wanted experience and after interviewing Nathan Norman, and Mike Gross whom both have a combined 1 year of head coaching experience I think anyone could pretty much come to the conclusion that out of those three Eckley was the only choice. This is a big step for the Jackson program going outside the ranks. For the kids sake and the program's I hope it is the best.

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 4:14 PM
  • Wonder what Cape Central administration will think of Norman interviewing? Tough having a head coach that was willing to leave. I realize Nathan is a Jackson guy but this will be interesting.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Dec 23, 2011, at 5:37 PM
  • Why wouldnt any coach not want to go home and coach his alma mater. Im sure some Jackson people are in shock that Norman wasn"t the one hired for the job.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 2:47 PM
  • Congrats to Coach Eckley and Jackson Football! They should form a very successful relationship.

-- Posted by Showstopper on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 2:57 PM
  • Does anybody think it is strange that the announcement was made a day before the Christmas Holiday Weekend. This was a deliberate attempt to deflect any criticism of Anderson and Fisher. No doubt planned by Fisher! They have already started to take some heat, and Fisher's comment was that AD John Martin wanted to bring in somebody with no connections to the program. Since John Martin has an extensive football background we know that all means were exhausted to find the best person for the job.

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 3:20 PM
  • Fire Rita now,

Your comments are entertaining, and we both believe that Jackson just got a huge Christmas present with the hire of Coach Eckley, but lets give Rita a little credit here.

Dude, she is the sole fire breather to get our kids the best coaches, class room teachers, and out of the good old boy network that is hurting Jackson now. Anderson is the dullard over there.

I am betting Rita is the one that found Eckley in the first place. She is a go getter. I do not know her in all fairness to you, but what I hear from people that work around her is good.

I also hope that Coach Eckley can make Reagan McDowell his top assistant here for down the line. Coach McDowell, in my humble opinon, needs someone like this because he is a listner and intelligent.He has the potential to be just as explosive of coach as Coach Eckley hopefully is.

-- Posted by johnboy8 on Sat, Dec 24, 2011, at 9:22 PM
  • John Boy 8,

I seriously doubt that Eckley agreed to take the job if he could not bring at least one assistant.

Rita Fisher is a master manipulater who only hires people she can control.

Your right about Ron Anderson he does nothing around the district. Important Note: Anderson from Iowa, Eckley from Iowa, Anderson always talks about how Iowa is so much better than Missouri.

I have to admit, I am wrong on one account. There was actually 4 people interviewed. I left out Josh Tomlin (Board Presidents Son) that shows just how much a joke this process was.

-- Posted by Fire Rita Now on Sun, Dec 25, 2011, at 11:20 AM
  • Lets agree on Jackson has more of a chance of success on the field and with spirit than they did a year ago. I think this is going to be a fun ride the next 5-6 years.

-- Posted by johnboy8 on Sun, Dec 25, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • objective fan----The same reason that Coach Gibbs didn't interview. He is happy where he is and his alma mater is Jackson.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • Hate to say I told you so ....Who knows why he came to Jackson.....one quick read and I'd run like hell....if I am a Coach, and I read these horror stories about ANYONE on a School board, making decisions on a footbal Coach or about what he does on the field... HA....what a joke....

I dont think Coach Eckley would go in and tell the Physics teacher how to teach class....so why cant this Fisher person pay attention to where they belong...Or is Fisher REALLY Jacksons Coach...and Eckley the Chief Assistant ??

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 10:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: