High School Football Forum: Semo teams chances at making it to the Dome!

Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 9:09 PM:

Need honest opinions about it! What teams do you think have the best chance to make it to the Dome. I'm not saying win it all, just make it there.

Class 1

Valle,Hayti,Chaffee

Class 2

Caruthersville,Malden,Charleston

Class 3

Dexter,St.Gen

Class 4

Sikeston,Cape,Farmington

That's all the teams I am somewhat familiar with so I'm sorry if I left someone out! I'm just trying to get an idea of how many teams could represent Semo this year in Stl.

Replies (22)

Cheese, you are forgetting about Thayer. I think they will be the Class 1 representative especially after the whooping they put on Hayti Friday. In my opinion, Thayer or Valle have a shot in Class 1, Caruthersville has a chance in Class 2 although Maplewood, Lamar, and Mountain View-Liberty all MAY have better teams. The winner of the Ste. Genevieve-Dexter game has a shot as well as the winner of the second Sikeston-Farmington game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 9:16 PM

Well I didn't know if Thayer was considered Semo or not, that is why I left them out

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 9:18 PM

Ehh... Thayer is just as much as Ste. Gen and Valle are. They are all on the Semo Sports Web area poll.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 9:21 PM
  • Dexter and Caruthersville have the best shot. History suggests no teams will make it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 11:58 PM
  • Valle

Cville

Winner of Dexter and Ste.Gen

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sun, Oct 16, 2011, at 8:19 AM

Dustin

I also think the winner of the Sikeston/Farmington match-up will have a great chance at making it. Over the last few years, the majority of the teams in the dome are run heavy teams. That is what Sikeston, Cville, and Dexter does best! I'm sure they will have a tough team to play in order to get there but with the talent on these teams, they can do it. I don't really care what history suggest because history is rewritten all the time. I have a feeling Semo will be well represented this year in the Dome! Cville is getting players healthy now and the defense is finally playing like they should. We had most of our starters play last week against a great Malden offense and held them scoreless with less than 100 yards until our 2nd team took over. I'm sure the coaches won't play our starters to long friday night against East Prairie so they can rest and get healthy in time for playoffs. It would be nice to have all classes represent Semo in the Dome this year. I'm rooting for everyone.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 16, 2011, at 1:20 PM
  • Thayer is 3 and a half hours away.. Semo? Naw

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Oct 16, 2011, at 10:43 PM

I guess I've just always considered Thayer as an extended part of SEMO. It doesn't really fit in anywhere else and I've got a couple of good friends over there who keep me updated on their team.

In terms of the chances for Sikeston-Farmington, if you keep up with all the scores and stats for the East side of the Class 4 bracket, it looks like there could be a lot of parity this season. Whoever comes out of the dogfight between them will probably see Gateway and (if they get by the Jaguars) either MICDS, Ladue, Borgia, St. Dominic, or St. Charles West. All of these different teams have looked great at points and just so-so at others. I would honestly not be shocked if MICDS, Gateway, Farmington, Sikeston, Borgia, Ladue, St. Dominic or St. Charles West were to be the team to come out of the East. While MICDS is unbeaten, they have certainly looked more vulnerable lately. It will be interesting from the sectional round onward.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 17, 2011, at 12:12 PM
  • Yeah but on the western side you have Webb City..Kearney and the rest...

Honestly I don't see Sikeston in the dome this year...last year they had the horses, this year not so much.

-- Posted by cadult10 on Tue, Oct 18, 2011, at 1:48 PM
  • Who do y'all seeing cville playing in the third round. Maplewood. Then if they win it's Lamar because they will beat liberty. I just hope one of them games are at home.

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Tue, Oct 18, 2011, at 2:43 PM
  • If sikeston gets past Farmington twice, which they could, I'd like our chances if we ended up facing gateway again. We could make it to the final four again, and even to the dome. Just because last years team didnt make it, doesn't mean this years team can't. That's why they play the game.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Oct 18, 2011, at 7:19 PM
  • Sikeston and that's probably about it.

Cville and Dexter will get knocked out in the quarterfinals

-- Posted by paulbd on Fri, Oct 21, 2011, at 3:45 PM
  • Valle will be the only team to make it to the Dome and win it. None of the rest matters!

-- Posted by VallePally on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 4:30 PM
  • But could Valle beat c ville Dexter sikeston and Farmington? Probably not, I'm sorry small schools aren't as relevant. But I hope they do win.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 5:13 PM

Valle is going to have to go through Hayti first round, Thayer second round, Miller third round, and then either Concordia or Tipton fourth round to get to the Dome. They have only played two teams of note this year, Westran (who just got beat by Salisbury and is proving overrated) and Ste. Genevieve. They beat Westran and lost to Ste. Gen. It isn't like they are really battle tested this year. I don't see them getting back to the finals.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 5:20 PM
  • Valle will be at the dome. And why are small schools as relevant? I don't like Valle by any means but when u win by 35+ every week your doing something right.. N sideline, who was helping u out on what kind of defense cape played.. Bc you said the radio wasn't coming in well but then said cape was keying on Watson.. You don't think every team keys on Watson?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 8:34 PM

Nerd, every team keys on Watson differently. I got reports from people at the game as well as from Young Sideline who gives me full reports of what happens after each and every game. Plus, I went back and saw the game afterward when I had time. The gameplan was to stop Watson and make them throw. Gross hasn't been keyed on the same way James has since his name hasn't been called as much. He was able to exploit Cape's added focus on James. Same with the outside passing game. Cape loaded up inside leaving mismatches for big gains on the outside.

"Our game plan was to stop the run," Central coach Nathan Norman said. "That's what we felt like that's what they were best at. Not that we stopped their run, but we did slow them down early with it, and they started realizing we had some weakness in the secondary and they beat us with the pass. That's what a good football team does."

"We never planned on them throwing them that far out," Central linebacker Austin Martin said. "We were pulled in real tight. So when they threw them that far out, it was two on one."

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 8:44 PM
  • I'm not saying which running back is better but obviously every team keys on both Watson and Fonda so I think using a defenses strategy as a reason for not having a great game isn't a good reason at all

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 8:48 PM

The coaches switched it up on offense in response to what the defense was giving them. They didn't need James to be the entire offense. James didn't have his normal carries. Just like Fonda, he typically has a breakout run in the game if not a couple. If the Sikeston offense keeps relying on him all night, he probably gets that big run. They just didn't need him to. One game where a player doesn't put up huge numbers doesn't take them out of the Carr running. I still think he is going to win it and that he is the better back. Again, it is nothing against Fonda and I really don't want to get into this debate again because everybody thinks what they are going to think. At this point in the season, there is not many minds that are going to be changed and I'm not going to try to change any. I am just defending my position because apparently I can't post anything on this site anymore without people jumping down my throat telling me I have no clue what I'm talking about. There's no disrespect towards making either choice unless the reasoning is just because you hate a fanbase (not pointed at anyone in particular). James just impresses me more. I feel like he has had a "Carr moment" with setting the Sikeston single game rushing record. It is what it is. I could go on. But let's stop here as to maintain the relevancy of what this thread is meant to discuss.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:02 PM
  • Won't argue anything you said but since the Sunday night football games stinks I looked it up and prior to the cape game Watson was averaging 16 carries per game.. He had 16 Friday night

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:43 PM

He did have 14,11, and 5 in the last three though against the three weaker teams on the schedule which skew the numbers down a bit. He is normally closer to 20-25 against stronger teams.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:55 PM
  • Sideline continually snaps in a debate against every poster

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 10:00 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: