High School Football Forum: Dexter Football

Posted by Mattlong78 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 7:10 PM:

Dexter is a really good team this year and I was wondering everyones thoughts on if they think Dexter has a deep playoff run in them this year. Or in another words how do you think Dexter can match up with a John Burroughs type of team?

Replies (51)

• Any Dexter fan would be highly mistaken if they think it's going to be an easy path back to the quarterfinals. Ste. Gen is on a roll and playing much better ball than they were at the beginning of the season. Better not put the cart before the horse.

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 7:25 PM
  • I wish them the best. If they play hard they can win. Just like any other team.

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 8:29 PM
  • I think Dexter is playing better as well. Any time you make a deep play off run it is against great competition. Nothing is easy in post regular season play.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 8:35 PM

Well if Dexter is going to make some noise this will be the year. They are losing ALOT of players on both sides of the ball. I know this Dexter team can put points up but when they go against a team that can run and pass the ball effectively it will give them fits. Good offensive teams usually make it to the playoffs but its the ones with the good defenses that win it.

It was an easy adjustment vs Caruthersville because we were running and throwing balls behind the line of scrimmage, just take our running threat away and you can beat us....I know that can be tough for some teams to do but Dexter did it. They went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and really disrupted alot of plays in the backfield. I know not alot of teams are going to have a RB like Fonda and a back up like Monroe but there will be teams that can run it effectively because of a decent line and a QB that can throw the ball, and I assure you that there will be a few of those in Class 3. I wish them the best of luck though, they have one hell of a ball team.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 9:00 PM
  • Well if you take away the Sikeston and Caruthersville games they have only allowed 55 points in their other 5 games including 3 games where they allowed 7 points or less so i think there defense has potential. Im not sure but i dont think there are any other RB in the state as good as Watson,Fonda, and Monroe.

-- Posted by Mattlong78 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 9:59 PM
  • Cardinal ritter and john burroughs are tough teams. St. Gen and park hills are tough teams. Don't know about their RB's but none any tougher than Sikeston and C'ville's.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 10:44 PM
  • Well, we know they can win a shootout. I wish them the best, and know that if they play to their potential, they can really make some waves. Go Bearcats! (Sikeston fan)

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 1:26 AM
  • Really, those 3 guys are the best in the state WOW!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 7:10 AM
  • Trying to be PC BIGELW. ;)

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 8:54 AM
  • Best three running backs in the state are all in SEMO, and two of them on the same team??? That is very impressive. John Burroughs has an excellent running back, and if Dexter were to make it that far, they would have their hands full. That being said, Dexter's ability to run and throw the ball the way they can will make them tough to beat.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 10:22 AM
  • I didn't say they were the best, just said they were as tough as any. :)

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 12:15 PM
  • Dex Native

I was responding to what Mattlong said, i don't disagree they may be as tough but being the best in state is pushing it abit.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 1:19 PM

I am willing to go out on a thin limb and say Monroe is probably the best sophomore in the state athletically and if he sticks it out and plays like he has so far he could make it far at the next level. Dexter has the weapons and coaching to make it far they will just have to play it one game at a time.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 2:57 PM
  • Is the Caruthersville Malden matchup worth traveling an hour for?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 3:35 PM

Sure should be a good game last year it was decided by 2 points

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 4:12 PM
  • Bigelw,

Fonda is ranked third in the state in rushing yards and 2nd in tds and watson is 5th in the state in rushing yards and there is no other RB in Class 3 that is ranked in the top 10 in any rushing category so thats why I was saying that Dexter would not face another RB like Fonda or Watson in the playoffs and that they are 2 of the best backs in missouri.

-- Posted by Mattlong78 on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 6:07 PM

You put Watson,Fonda,and Monroe behind them Class 6 Offensive lines, they would have even better numbers. Sometimes your line make you better than you really are. These three guys are the real deal regardless of class

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 6:58 PM
  • Where are you getting your stats from don't tell me it's maxpreps half the teams in the state don't even report stats to them. Just wondering?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 7:18 AM
  • ^^ hijacked ^^

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:18 AM
  • Dexter should make a run, after their loss they've stepped it up. Maybe that's what they needed. Rather take a loss in week 3 then week 13

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 2:11 PM
  • Dexter...good on the field, rotten in their hearts. They beat Kennett tonight on our field, I tip my hat to them for that but after the game they wouldn't shake the black players (or chearleaders) hands and told them that was the reason. Just a catty remark about beating Kennett's butts. It will be a pleasure seeing photos of you crying after your season ending loss.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:04 PM

I agree with you! They acted the same way against Cville but I wasn't going to say anything because im sure I would get hammered on here!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:24 PM
  • Then how come Dexter shook the Sikeston players hands? That was also after Sikeston beat them!!!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:24 PM

Yeah we both are lying! We like to make things like that up!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:40 PM
  • Thank you red dirt. The comment by Pete sims is a blatant lie. I've been to almost every Dexter game this year and our player have lined up and shook hands with EVERY opposing player of every team we've faced. (that includes sikeston, Malden, charleston, c'ville, AND Kennett) I don't know why you would make up a comment like that but it's uncalled for. If you want to talk about no class, after a sack at the end of the game a Dexter player attempted to help the qb up and he slapped his hand away.

-- Posted by dex623 on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:46 PM
  • Cheesehead, you DONT even want to go there after the remarks your players were making to our cheerleaders and players. Its always somebody elses fault, right? I thought you were kind of above all that. Our players are tought how to play and treat other players. Period.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:47 PM

I am above all that, that's why I didn't even mention it. I just agreed with what Pete said. Don't tell me I don't know how people in Dexter are because I used to live there, and work there here recently so I think I do know. Not all the people in Dexter are like that but I ran in to more who are than not. Funny you try and call me out about your players but you do the same thing about our players! HMMM... Who is being a hypocrite? Not all Dexter players acted that way, just a few of them. I have nothing but respect for the Dexter coaches and the program but don't tell me I didn't see what I saw.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:51 PM
  • I won't deny that there aren't some bad apples in the community or even on the football team. You'll get that with a small predominately white town but I take exception to the comment about not shaking hand with other players and SAYING that that's why. Thats ludicrous. The coaching staff wouldn't stand for it.

-- Posted by dex623 on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:58 PM

I would not call slapping away someones hand classless, that was probably just a reaction out of frustration. All of these kids wear their hearts on their sleeves and in a hard fought battle and a heartbreaking loss frustration does set in. I even seen a Caruthersville player kicking the trashcan on the sideline. Its part of the game, and you can not make a classless call on that one instance.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 10:59 PM

I never said that's not why they didn't shake hands. There was alot of mouthing from both teams during and after the game which led to some not shaking hands. Never said the reason was they were black!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:00 PM
  • Ok I'll retract the classless statement. I was just heated over sims' comment. It's still poor sportsmanship.

-- Posted by dex623 on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:02 PM

Side note, looks like St. Gen is going to get their rematch with Dexter! That will be a game to watch!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:04 PM
  • Ok, Cheese, I guess it sounded like you were saying the entire team. I didn't say anything either! Anyway, after another big win by the tigers, will you guys have any tough teams to play out of district two???

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:14 PM
  • Dex, feel free to get heated by my comment. In my house we get heated by bad behavior not peoples' reaction to it. It mirrors the same attitude my classmates saw in Dexter athletes thirty three years ago. It is just sad to see that nothing has changed.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:22 PM

I guess I should have made myself a little clearer. My fault on that one, my apologizes. Well of district one, Malden was probably our toughest opponent, although you can't count out Charleston. We should win out our district either way. As far as District two goes, we already beat Crystal City and Herky so I don't see where they should be any problem either. I mean anything can happen don't get me wrong but we should be fine. We will see our first tough Class 2 team in the 3rd round against either Maplewood or Mt.View Liberty, Cville has the team to beat either one. I think Cville has a great chance at making it to state this year. This team plays hard and doesn't give up. It will take a hell of a class 2 team to knock these guys off

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:25 PM

We just gotta get healthy. We had alot of new faces starting tonight on both sides of the ball. They did one heck of a job and made a juggernaut offense look like middle school.

I am not 100% sure on this but the radio station said Caruthersville had over 800 yard total offense but there could be a mistake, maybe he added first and second half to get that second half total....I know we have the weapons and a pretty good defense when things are lined out right.They held Malden to 200 yards total offense, 70 of those coming on their last drive against second string.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 11:31 PM

I was just watching some old highlights from this year and I came to the Dexter highlight. Well I like to read comments on video's to see what people have to say and I am shocked at how sad and pathetic some people are. I see a Dexter fan commented several times on this video but what shocked me was his last comment! I'm not going to put what he said because it's disgusting to see people still feel that way after all these years. Now I see what Pete Sims meant. With that mentality, no wonder people think that way about Dexter! Poor class and no excuses for it. I am not saying everyone from Dexter or everyone on the team but this just goes to show, its there. Just read it for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6LGEiLWSk&feature=channel_video_title

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 2:44 AM
  • I stand corrected about some of the people from Dexter.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 8:23 AM
  • Cheeseshead101, I watched the same Dexter-Caruthersville game that you watched, the refs did not cause you to lose. I saw two teams competing and playing hard, Dexter made a adjustment on defense that Caruthersville did adjust to well, too. I thought at the end that Dexter was more conditioned at the end, but you have to give Caruthersville credit, they fought to the end and just came up a little short. As for the handshaking at the end of the game, I don't think the Dexter coach preaches that to his players, they are taught to respect every opponent that they play. You lost, just live with it.

-- Posted by Bernieball on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 8:46 AM

What do you mean live with it? I never came out and said the refs caused us to lose! We lost the game no excuses from me! I dont' think they were better conditioned, I mean we lost by an extra point, not like we lost by 2 td's. Don't know where you came off saying that I said it was the refs. I didn't make the video, just shared a link. Sheesh, it don't matter what I put on here, even if I don't say anything negative, I still get blasted for nothing. WOW!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 11:52 AM

Hey cheese he was assuming and you know where that leads. First time I ever heard from that fellow.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • So what was the purpose of the link, because it said Ref's 56 and Tiger's 55. If you did not think something, you would not even mentioned the link. We would not be having this discussion if the game went the other way. Maybe you have not heard from me, but I don't usually comment on these sites.

-- Posted by Bernieball on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 2:56 PM

Did you even read any of what I put? I mean come on now, really? No one even mentioned ANYTHING about the refs in this game. I didn't record the game and edit it. That was someone else and he felt that way. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Let me copy and paste what I wrote for you and maybe you can comprehend a little better what I wrote.

"I was just watching some old highlights from this year and I came to the Dexter highlight. Well I like to read comments on video's to see what people have to say and I am shocked at how sad and pathetic some people are. I see a Dexter fan commented several times on this video but what shocked me was his last comment! I'm not going to put what he said because it's disgusting to see people still feel that way after all these years. Now I see what Pete Sims meant. With that mentality, no wonder people think that way about Dexter! Poor class and no excuses for it. I am not saying everyone from Dexter or everyone on the team but this just goes to show, its there. Just read it for yourself!"

Now, please tell me where I said anything about the refs! I stated that I was watching the highlight video's and I saw where a Dexter fan COMMENTED on the video. He was being racist and there were some people on here who said Dexter is not that way. I put the video link up to prove that, that mentality IS in that town. I lived there, I worked there, I know this first hand. Then you come along and start saying stuff that had nothing to do with the topic. Winning or losing the game had NOTHING to do with what we are discussing. So please, if you can't understand what we are talking about and have a hard time comprehending what you read, don't post ignorant comments.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 3:06 PM

Im glad to see the comments were deleted from the video!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 3:07 PM
  • I'm sure there are racist people in c ville too. It's not right but bringing it up in the first place is going to start an argument

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 5:41 PM

I never said there wasn't racist people in cville. Plenty here if you ask me! I didn't bring anything up, I was just stating what I saw with my eyes also and actually giving proof because there were people who said there is no one is dexter like that. Proved them wrong with the link. No arguement was even started. Mr BernieBall misread some comments, I told him what I meant by what I put, end of story. No need in you getting involved trying to stir up more trouble!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:00 PM

Do you have a problem with me Dustin? It seems that no matter what I put on here, you have something to say about it! I mean I can give people credit for something and you would still sit there and find something negative to say!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:07 PM
  • And I never said that was directed at you, I didn't know who brought it up. I didn't feel like reading through it to see personally said it.

Not everything put on here is directed towards you. Chill out

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:30 PM
  • Hence I didn't put a name, general statement.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:31 PM

Well you said you are sure people in Cville are racist to and Pete Simms( who is from Kennett) started the whole thing about it, so that's why I assumed you meant it towards me. My apologizes.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:36 PM
  • Sorry I don't know where everyone lives. There are racist people everywhere* its not right but you can't help it.

Next time if i have something to say to you I'll add your name in it to save the confusion and a couple paragraphs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Oct 15, 2011, at 6:47 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: