High School Football Forum: For the educated

Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:19 PM:

What do you feel are the key matchups of the week? Jackson/Sikeston will be the first common opponent between them and their new rivals cape.

Who do you think will win each matchup and why?

Replies (13)

• Just used that game as an example, I don't want this to be just a one team thread.

Was jacksons close game with cape just a fluke, or is their tough schedule paying off?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:21 PM
  • Tough to say who will win the Scott City-Chaffee game.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:24 PM
  • Poplar Bluff-Gosnell, Ark., may also be too close to call.

I reckon I'd have to give the advantage to Gosnell?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:26 PM
  • Kennett's play in the next two weeks against Portageville and Malden could be a strong indication of whether or not Kennett has a realistic chance to make its first playoff appearance since 1986.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:29 PM

It is going to be a slow week in terms of results. I don't think there are too many games that are going to be involving potential playoff teams that are going to be in doubt. Malden-Dexter may be the most interesting game this week. Dexter proved last week that they deserve to be called a top three team in the area with the way they took it to Scott City. I really think they are an underrated team. I'm not going to make the official prediction but Caruthersville is going to need to be ready for that matchup. Dexter-Caruthersville will probably be one of the best games all year. For Malden, they are showing to be down from their very good team from last year. It is looking like they could be written off as a deep in the season threat.

For Sikeston-Jackson, the Bulldogs need to work on getting a fast start this game. The team has done a good job at taking over in the middle quarters but have only really come out strong in the first quarter in the Gateway game. This week should be another big win for them. Jackson's schedule is not that tough. O'Fallon Christian is terrible as is North County. Parkway South is pretty good but not the best team in the world. And we all know that Cape is not as good as they were thought and are the clear #3 in their district.

The good games will probably come between the teams that are playing for pride and to build up their programs. St. Vincent-St. Pius should be a fun private school matchup. I think there is a little bit of rivalry between Portageville and Kennett so that game should be fun. And Chaffee can really show what they are made of against Scott City who has shown flashes against East Prairie, St. Vincent's, and Malden. Don't expect too much to be learned about the "top" teams over the weekend.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:37 PM
  • Thank you Dustin

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:38 PM

I don't know a thing about Gosnell but if they want to beat Bluff they are going to need to be able to rush the ball from the left side and have a good rush defense. Sikeston couldn't get anything going moving right against Bluff it seemed like and the Barousse kid at RB is pretty good. Again, I don't know anything about Gosnell other than that they whooped Kennett (not too tough). It may be a good game but not a very impacting one.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Teams are starting to rack up common opponents now, should make ranking them easier

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Kennett - Portageville game will be Kennett's homecoming. As far Gosnell's rushing attack, its all Q.B draw for about 300 yards a game. Kennett has been torched for three years with the same kid at Q.B for Gosnell running the same play. You might think P.B coaches should watch some game film and learn because the same kid put 200 plus on them last year.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 5:55 PM
  • That qb must be a monster then

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 6:30 PM
  • Gosnell wins big.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 6:43 PM

Hey all of you guys from Sikeston, since you all are playing Kennett on Oct. 7th why won't ya head up the road a bit and watch the C-ville-Dexter game, I am sure it will be a bit more competitive than the Bulldogs and Indians.

Maybe we can meet up and eat somewhere before the game and chat about sports and or something.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 6:56 PM
  • That's not a bad idea beef!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Sep 18, 2011, at 9:07 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: