High School Football Forum: Sikeston vs Cape II

Posted by Big Bro on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 11:07 AM:

I know somebody is gonna say something about Petosi and Desoto. I know both teams have to win their first game. But as it was for the first one, this is heavily anticipated.

I am a huge Sikeston Fan, but one thing Cape showed me is they didnt quit.

Sikeston came out very flat against Farmington, if they don't get up for this game, this could be an upset.

If there is a rematch, Who will win and what does Cape have to do different to win?

Replies (19)

• Yea the next cape-sikeston game will be a battle for sure. Cape is gonna come on strong and Sikeston better be ready to Rumble.

-- Posted by Buzzard Bill on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 11:21 AM
  • Honestly i think the games going to be worse, last week sikeston proved they could come back from being down, and i hear cape had a few key injuries.. I say 35-7

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 11:56 AM
  • I have a hunch thte game will be a little different this time, too. I expect Sikeston to put up more points....just an educated hunch. They WON'T come out flat against Cape!!

I posted the above on a different thread a few minutes ago. Sikeston's play calling in the second half was conservative...very conservative. I have a hunch Coach Gibbs and gang won't be so conservative the next time.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 1:14 PM

I don't blame Gibbs for being conservative in the second half. There was no need to try to run up the score in the first game against Cape and one bad play changes the game. I would have killed the clock too in his position. If Cape had scored, the gameplan could have changed but the defense did the dirty work.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 1:36 PM
  • I agree with you. I just have a hunch he isn't going to be that conservative again.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 1:55 PM
  • conservative the second half????? Were they not attempting to pass? Did he not get picked off twice? Maybe that is why they got conservative. I just have a hunch he wont have the opportunity to be that conservative.

-- Posted by FBSEMOfan on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 9:37 PM
  • I know one of the picks was on third down (the one that was a deflection) and I think the other was too, but I'm not certain. They were trying to pick up a first down to control the clock...everything else was basically a run. FBSEMOfan, you just make sure that Cape gets back to us on Monday. I hope Desoto doesn't ruin your chances.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 10:30 PM
  • It's interesting how this playoff season is shaping up so similar to last season. Last year in week 9, Sikeston faced a solid Poplar Bluff squad on the road and won in a shutout 28-0, setting up the Bulldogs with the unenviable task of playing the very same team again less than 3 weeks later. Exact same scenario is very likely again this season. It's hard to beat a good team twice. Cape will have the advantage of being able to dissect game film and identify what didn't work and adjust. I'm not sure who would have the psychological edge? The team bent on revenge, or the squad entering the contest with the confidence provided by an earlier, solid win?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 10:39 PM
  • I think everyone forgets sikeston can adjust too, as they did in the first game.. What cape is waiting for is what they probably won't get.. Gibbs has the second play book on Madden 05 ready..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 11:00 PM
  • Sikeston never adjusted, they never had to. Cape kept banging their heads against the wall running up the middle and trying to complete short passes to backs but never had the time to get a good look. Gadget, just curious, but what do you think they adjusted to?

Cape lost one player for the season with a knee injury, he was a running back but wasn't one of their big carriers. The other was a linebacker and fullback but he is expected to just miss this week.

The nest game should be very interesting and whoever wins should make it to the dome; now being victorious up there is a whole different story.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Oct 31, 2010, at 11:34 PM
  • I wouldn't count on the Cape-Sikeston winner having an automatic easy path to the Dome. Ladue and others will be in the way and will post a formidable challenge. Their are no easy games after the early rounds. You can bet if Cape and Sikeston do have a rematch, there will be some changes in game approach especially from Cape. They won't change much because they have been successful running their power and misdirection game out of the Wing-T, but you can be sure that they will add some wrinkles in their pass game and protection. Sikeston won't probably change much, you don't fix what isn't broke. But first they have to take care of business on Wed., then we will see how a rematch turns out. BTW good luck to all the area teams that made the playoffs, it would be great to see our area teams advance deep into the post season. Also congrats to SEMO on a wonderful season that should make everone thats a local football fan proud!

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 8:41 AM
  • All of sikestons adjustments were before the game even started.. Did you not notice the new defense? or are you just ignorant to great coaching? sikeston took a corner out and brought in another hard hitting safety whose job was to fly around and close holes, and had trey man-to-man aginst the only wide reciever which worked.. they has a new offense they ran against farmington once, they have plays they have been saving for this part of the season.. And sikeston never adjusts? You need to just completety stop putting in your imput please.. Second half against farmington.. Trey went man-to-man with bird.. Shut him down, the started running tight under center.. instead of trying to pass the ball.. I hope you werent serious because now you look stupid..

and that running back who wasn't a major part had the most yards against our defense..

Cape's wing-t is too predictable, sikeston's can be if you didn't have a qb who could read the defense.. which trey has done all year..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 9:47 AM
  • SEMORef,

You are right....there are a lot of games to be played before the Dome. But please dont get on the Ladue train. Do you remember last year? All I read about is how Ladue was going to come in here and pass all over Sikeston. Well, we all know how that turned out for them. Their coaching cost them that game! Not putting up points before the end of the first half was huge in that game. having the ball 1st down on the 1 yrd line and getting stopped on 4 straight plays. well, it will be the same way this year!!

Am I saying that Sikeston is a lock to go to the Dome? Absolutely NOT!!! I am a huge huge Sikeston fan but I would be an idiot to call anybodys chances a LOCK to get to the Dome.

I will say this though.....the next game they play against Petosi will not be close. And the game against Cape, it will be closer than the 21-0 score in the first meeting but still Sikeston will win.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 10:58 AM
  • Ladue and others........others.....who are these others?

Miller Academy lost, they are out, Roosevelt may be the one to watch, and of course there are others, Vashon beat Bluff bad frst of the year, but we soon realized , that meant nothing..

Name a contender that has ANY post season experience.....MICDS is out,

If I look to surprises, I say Warrenton, and Gateway Tech ......

-- Posted by Headhunt on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 11:29 AM

I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Warrenton team this year. I'm hearing that if they play Ladue in the quarters, it would be a doozy. Of course, that's all I know about them so it's worth about as much as a hill of beans but still. And playing Warrenton would probably be good for Sikeston if the 'Dogs make it there as I believe the matchups would work out where Sikeston would host. I've already accepted they will be on the road for the quarterfinal matchup IF THEY MAKE IT (calm down all posters with the word jungle in their username, besides the Bums are better anyway) so they could be in a similar situation to Helias last year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 11:43 AM
  • Most of Ladue's impact players were juniors last season, and are back this year as seniors with playoff experience. Ladue will be a tough game for anyone on the east side of the bracket.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 11:48 AM
  • dog2167, definitely not on the Ladue train, but realistic about the returning starters from last year and their strength of schedule which has honestly been tougher than Sikeston's. Coaching got them to last years game, I doubt that coaching lost the game for Ladue, Sikeston simply played better. Don't always blame a loss on coaching, their is enough "experts" in the stands to do that. I want Sikeston to beat everyone, but am being cautious because anyone that gets deep in the playoffs is a threat. Sometimes your rose colored glasses may get fogged up.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 12:18 PM
  • Don't sleep on Warrenton either. They are 7-3 with all losses coming to very strong teams. It's also interesting to note that Warrenton, likely one of the 3 or 4 strongest teams in the east bracket lost to Union by three TDs earlier this season. Union is in the west and is probably not in the top 4 from that side of the state (Webb City, Kearney, Carthage and Bolivar are likely the best four from the West). I think this points out to some extent how strong the west side of the state is.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 12:43 PM
  • Good. I hope they keep loading up the west side every year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Nov 1, 2010, at 1:21 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: