High School Football Forum: Sikeston Football

Posted by maddsouth on Mon, Oct 19, 2020, at 4:21 PM:

Sikeston Football has become a joke, 2 wins this season and smaller schools destroy us. Sikeston used to be a pretty decent Football school. Possibly time to clean house with current coaching and restart.

Replies (16)

• Every school goes through it.. you have your down year's where you don't have the athletes or big guys to make a good team. Sikeston will bounce back

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Mon, Oct 19, 2020, at 4:32 PM

Unless your Webb City. Last losing season was back in 1982.

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Tue, Oct 20, 2020, at 6:55 PM
  • Has Sikeston won any football games at the lower levels this year?

-- Posted by football hero on Thu, Oct 22, 2020, at 11:41 AM
  • Time to clean house and get some different coaches. If you look at these programs now that start coaching at middle school level. It should always be a point to win but may these younger kids need to run the same plays jr an high school run. I really think the way kids are today you have to make yourself seen and make sure the kids and the pArents know that you care

-- Posted by clayatlas on Sat, Oct 24, 2020, at 2:03 AM
  • Sikeston is a basketball school. How many of the outstanding basketball athletes play football?

-- Posted by Neversaynever on Mon, Oct 26, 2020, at 7:36 AM
  • Neversaynever...I can name 2 basketball players who play football. There may be a few more, but they don’t initially come to mind.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 26, 2020, at 12:09 PM
  • Who is the coach at Sikeston?

-- Posted by rainex on Tue, Oct 27, 2020, at 8:53 AM
  • We used to have better teams when the students didn’t concentrate on only one sport. Now it’s what can get me into college is what I’m going to play. What’s bad is they still might not get into college in that sport. This is just my opinion.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 7:40 AM
  • Same thing at Dexter. We have so many jr. high kids that play basketball against the smaller Stoddard County teams and thrash them pretty good. Next thing you know little Bobby is getting calls from Duke and North Carolina (according to their weak *** parents) for a possible scholarship. So, Bobby concentrates on basketball because either he and/or his parents are in a dream world. I's really a problem in this town and very laughable. I know this is a tad bit overblown but I've talked to other coaches from Valle to Caruthersville and it is a problem.

-- Posted by Football2020 on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 10:37 AM
  • Valle is always strong in baseball and competitive in basketball while caruthersville is competitive in both.I don’t see your comparison with them to Dexter. Can’t imagine valle and c’ville coaches saying that about their schools, when their schools are competitive in 3 sports.Kids are coddled now, easier to pick their one sport and act like they are working their as* off all year rather than go multi-sport. Some good athletes, who could help their school in all sports have decided to become the next Tiger Woods. Besides what could be more fun than jacking around a golf course all weekend in a non-strenuous sport!

-- Posted by Outfield on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 12:25 PM
  • Didn't make it up sir. Believe me Coach Naeger has kids walking the hall that he would love to have out. Not that many but in a smaller school, every athlete counts. You make good points too. Kids just don't commit to play summer ball anymore when you lift in the AM for football, open gym for basketball, play golf riding on a cart with buds the rest of the day. Baseball practice at 6:30 is just not a priority anymore and a lot of kids just don't like the "hurt" of playing football. In my humble opinion it's just not a Dexter thing.

-- Posted by Football2020 on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 3:31 PM
  • True on all points 2020. Miss the old days of in season sport only being practiced and played. Some of these neurotic off season coaches just can’t sit still.I understand the early morning summer weight training but was shocked years ago passing a gym with a full parking lot and being told they are having a basketball shootout in June. Many years ago a football coach was in his office before football practice started and heard basketballs bouncing in the gym rumor has it later that night all balls were deflated and put back in their storage area

-- Posted by Outfield on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 5:58 PM
  • Lol....Awesome

-- Posted by Football2020 on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 6:30 PM

I’ve heard that Jim Hall used to make his basketball players run track in the spring. Anybody else heard this?

Also, I had a baseball coach in HS who would not let us play pickup basketball during baseball season because of the “elevated probability” of leg injuries. Those were his words.

Many sports compliment others. I think football complements basketball & vice versa. Also, I think many kids today believe that constantly playing games is what makes them better & don’t spend enough time working on the fundamentals. They substitute games for practice.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 11:10 PM
  • Football2020 and $ecret personally love these old time sports stories. Legendary coaches always helped and advised their athletes, Paul Webber at Jackson coached football and wrestling and the sports seemed to compliment each other... strength,flexibility,leverage etc. Wm Wilthong always advised his football players to play an additional sport, a lot ran track which is very good football training...speed,jumping,conditioning etc

-- Posted by Outfield on Sat, Oct 31, 2020, at 1:53 PM
  • Sikeston has the athletes now to at least compete. Watching them this year was without a doubt a coaching problem. Time to clean house with coaching staff. Head coach, defensive and offensive coordinator must go!!

-- Posted by RTRUTH on Tue, Nov 3, 2020, at 6:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: