High School Football Forum: Jackson vs. Vianney

Posted by TheProsperer on Sat, Nov 10, 2018, at 1:44 PM:

Thoughts and/or predictions?

Replies (34)

Let's go Indians, time to get that District title.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Sat, Nov 10, 2018, at 2:18 PM

I mean win over Vianney. So used to Vianney being a district road block.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Sat, Nov 10, 2018, at 2:19 PM
  • Vianney secondary is pretty mediocre from the film I’ve watched. Seems like Jackson will have a nice game passing, it seems. The real problem seems to be the Vianney running game, including Kyren and their other leading rusher. Kyren is fast, and committed to Dame. The Indians D-Line will have to play stronger than the week before. But if the sophomore linebackers step up, like they have all season, then Vianney won’t score more than 30.

-- Posted by Touche on Sat, Nov 10, 2018, at 5:55 PM
  • I think it'll be close and Jackson wins a nail biter

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Sun, Nov 11, 2018, at 10:24 AM

If it’s true that Vianney only has a running game then I’d have to think Jackson wins this game.

No team has tested the passing game against the Indians so it’s hard to say how the db’s would react agains such an offense, but their success against the run has been proven over and over all season.

-- Posted by hambone_indian on Sun, Nov 11, 2018, at 12:39 PM
  • Vianney hasn’t stopped Jackson’s passing game in the last 6 meetings. What makes them think they can now with this new and improved offense and this defense is the best Jackson has had in years. Go Indians!

-- Posted by dirtysouth on Mon, Nov 12, 2018, at 12:27 PM
  • Jackson 21

Vianney 49

Kyren Williams with 5 TD's and 150 yds rushing and 124 yards receiving.

This young Jackson team is primed to make a Title run the next two years.

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Wed, Nov 14, 2018, at 7:14 AM
  • What will hurt Vianney is they're a predominantly run team. Only 1600 yds passing on the year. Jackson will stack the box and force them to throw which I believe works in Jackson's favor..

Jackson 35

Vianney 28

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Wed, Nov 14, 2018, at 7:44 AM
  • People need to remember one thing about Vianney.. they get to recruit their players... Jackson does NOT.

Teams like Vianney, CBC, Chaminade should win every year. (Chaminade wasn't very good this year) but you can look at both Vianney and CBC's teams last few year's. Lots of D1 recruits, kids on their teams from all over multiple states, e.t.c..

Not making excuses because they're ALLOWED to do that since they're "parochial" schools. That being said should be a heck of a game. Go Indians!

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Wed, Nov 14, 2018, at 11:09 AM
  • Imagine believing that Vianney will score 49 points on perhaps one of the top three best defenses in Class 5.

-- Posted by Touche on Wed, Nov 14, 2018, at 11:26 AM

Will this game be webcast?

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Wed, Nov 14, 2018, at 11:41 AM
  • Jackson should pull out a road victory.

The Indian’s Defense will be key in a Victory. The DB’s for Jackson will have their work cutout for them, what I’ve seen thus far from them it shouldn’t an issue.

I would love to see Jared Wren back on the defensive line again this week, he reeked havoc last week against A run oriented offense.

Just an opinion of an old football coach.

-- Posted by Football fan1 on Fri, Nov 16, 2018, at 6:35 PM
  • Calpreps.com has Vianney 35 Jackson 34. But if you run a game prediction on a neutral field they have Jackson 35 Vianney 34. Calpreps is right about 85% of the time so this game appears to be a toss up. Indians have to minimize penalties and play smart.

-- Posted by Grussman on Fri, Nov 16, 2018, at 7:57 PM
  • The Golden Griffens got a fever.The only cure is more cowbell.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Nov 16, 2018, at 9:03 PM
  • I seen on MaxPreps they have Vianney ranked #2 and Jackson ranked #3 in Class 5A.

Also they have all the high school football teams ranked in the state. Jackson comes in at #13 and Hayti comes in at #39

-- Posted by cardsfan61 on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 7:13 AM
  • Jackson 21

Vianney 26

8:14 left in 2Qtr

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 1:59 PM

Keep the scores coming!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:09 PM
  • Jackson 21

Vianney 34

3:45 left in 2Qtr

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:12 PM
  • Jackson 28

Vianney 34

2:50 left in 2Qtr

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:19 PM
  • Looks like neither team can play any defense in this game.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:23 PM
  • Jackson 28

Vianney 40

Halftime

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:31 PM
  • @Touche

Guess I undersold that Vianney offense.

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 2:33 PM
  • Jackson 28

Vianney 62

6:38 left in 3Qtr

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:11 PM
  • Big Fish small Pond. Diehards never learn.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:17 PM
  • Bill you said it perfectly.

-- Posted by _Cheesehead_ on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:26 PM
  • ...and here come the internet know-it-all’s. Big fish, blah blah. No doubt Vianney is better than Jackson but not playing with your best player definitely doesn’t help your team’s chances.

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:39 PM
  • Great season Jackson, C-vile, n Kennett.

Hopefully Hayti can bring home a championship for semo.

-- Posted by phi365 on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:40 PM
  • Hats off to Vianney. There 2 headed monster of RBs were unstoppable today. Hats off to Jackson. Y'all kids are 90% sophomores and will definitely be back next season. Good Luck to Vianney the rest of the way.

P.S.. Vianney please dnt recruit anymore 2 headed monster RBs lol

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 3:44 PM
  • Congratulations to Vianney on the win. They played their game and put it to Jackson in every phase of the game.You played shut down defense in the second half and had a running game that we couldnt stop up.

Congratulations to Jackson on a phenomenal season.Played far beyond what most of us expected and we are proud of you.The seniors will be missed and we thank you.No one who understands this team and the game thinks this run was possible without you.The jr and soph know the work that’s ahead to make another run.And all of you have the knowledge that life is bigger than that field.

We had several injuries that caught up to us today and you have my prayers for healing.

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 7:28 PM

What a great season for the Indians!!!

But unfortunately we are coming home early again.

Can't win a playoff game with that many turnovers and with injuries to some key players.

Hats of to Rhett Liley for doing a great job of filling in for Kent.

Not sure why Kent was returning kick offs anyway.

Not sure why same defensive players stayed in the entire game while not making 1 defensive stop, and there was no changing in the defensive strategy.

But other then that, all I can do is pout and wait till next year once again.

-- Posted by hambone_indian on Mon, Nov 19, 2018, at 10:11 AM
  • Wasn't expecting the scores I saw on this game and west plains/ladue game - looks like both district champs ran into buzz saws. would have liked to seen it, Vianney must of seen something to exploit on both offense and defense. Good season Indians - hit em again next year.

-- Posted by thatDude on Mon, Nov 19, 2018, at 10:30 AM
  • The stands and listening to the game on radio is the best places for those of us who cant play or coach.

The team won and lost together and seemed to do it without finger pointing or shameless self promotion.I think facebook or twitter or Instagram is better place for you to shake your mom-poms (or dad-poms).

-- Posted by Nada on Mon, Nov 19, 2018, at 12:46 PM
  • Since I came on to this thread just to discuss the V-J game, I wanted to circle back one more time as a follow up.

Good Game - while the score looks lopsided and ultimately, V did rush for 500 yards, I think most who were there will agree that the game was much closer all the way to the end of the half. V was probably a little flustered when J tied it up at 14 and it gave J the belief they could match V possession for possession. That carried thru most of the half.

I also agree that losing your main receiver does make a difference, especially on a team that passes the ball as much as you do. Not sure if it would have made all the difference, but I think it is much closer, even into the 2nd half. Ultimately, V was big enough to wear down J with the constant pounding via the run.

I was impressed by Jackson's grit and determination and especially the fact that this is a very young team. (more on that in a minute).

One follow up comment for those who did mention teamwork and togetherness, etc that Jackson has. Just a reminder that most (not all) winning teams seem to have that bond.

The face mask penalty where the V player's helmet was ripped off his head and cut his eye ended up being a wake up call. It was a rallying point for V that the kids discussed in length at the intermission and motivated them for the 2nd half. If there was one play that J might want back, it was that one. It somewhat woke the sleeping giant, not to mention is stopped the clock when V had no TOs left.

Obviously, your fan base is excellent as the stands/standing area were 3/4 full of red and black. Standing along the fence near the student section, my one mild complaint is that I thought some of the fans were really ruthless to the referee. There were missed calls on both sides but the ref's calls did not account for a 40 point differential.

Lastly, in this person's opinion, one who has no allegiance to Jackson, the future looks very bright for more than the obvious reason - that your team is very young.

Most of it is because Vianney will be ok next year. They are losing too much to be a factor IMO. So I don't see them as a road block. Jackson's district is not strong so I see them easily winning their district.

The team you should pay attention to next year is CCP. They are also young and should be better next year. I predict they will win the district and meet Jackson in the Qtr. finals. But comparing two young teams who both played V, I would give the edge to Jackson at this point in time.

All this is assuming the current players on both teams grow and develop and nothing strange happens.

I also HOPE the coaching staff schedules 1-2 tougher games next year to get the team ready for the better teams they will see past the district playoffs.

Good luck next year. The future looks very bright!

-- Posted by Just Sayin 2.0 on Mon, Nov 19, 2018, at 2:25 PM
  • Great points you make JS.Vianney came out ready to play the second half whether cause of the play you mention or just cause they knew they needed to make a statement.That play is in the picture slideshow

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/football/vianney-gashes-jackson-with...

Jackson couldve used it as motivation too.There was a different swagger in the second half and our team couldnt get it going.Vianney won it and Ill be rootin for them and Hayti the rest of the way.

-- Posted by Nada on Mon, Nov 19, 2018, at 3:12 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: