High School Football Forum: INT or TD?

Posted by SportsFan573 on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 1:25 AM:

Long time reader of the forums, 1st time poster. Below is a link to the much discussed play in the endzone between Valle & Monroe City. People were asking for it in the other thread, here it is. Let the debate begin. I think it could have gone either way, but the correct call was made. Heck of a play by #3 to not give up.

https://youtu.be/CRbeor4ET_k

Replies (23)

• let it go...... just let it go.....its over.....nobody cares.....move on....its over.....let it go....its in the books as an interception...MC won.....move on....let it go

-- Posted by haytiroyalty on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 7:53 AM
  • Hayti - I think you're missing the point. I posted the video because people asked for it in the other forum. And video of the play allows folks to make their own judgment vs the still photos that were previously posted or what they've heard from others. And somebody must care because it's been viewed 80+ times.

-- Posted by SportsFan573 on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 8:33 AM
  • INT

-- Posted by hb1025 on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 8:53 AM
  • Thanx soooooo much for the vid!! Great call by refs, slo-mo shows the receiver didnt quite have solid possession when his feet first hit the ground. Before he got full possession the defender took it from him. If there were HS replay challenges, Valley woodve def lost the challenge. Plus, there was still 9mins left, if Valley were truly the better team, theyda scored in the last nine mins!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 9:10 AM
  • What an incredible play by the defender!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 9:29 AM
  • INT - Outstanding defensive play! You don't let someone take the ball from you!

-- Posted by thatDude on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 9:34 AM
  • It was an interception, but it didn't have to be the deciding play. A lot of time remained. As for not letting someone take the ball, I didn't see it that way at all. I just think the defender deserves a lot of credit for his play.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 10:26 AM
  • INT. Either way there was over 9 minutes left in the game so it didn't decide the final outcome.

-- Posted by Tim Riggins on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 10:57 AM

INT

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 11:12 AM

TouchDown

-- Posted by Brother Vito on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 12:54 PM
  • First time I've seen it. Never would have been over turned by replay.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 2:45 PM
  • I don’t really understand how anyone thinks it’s anything other than an INT.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 12:25 PM

Dont be confused by the NFL rules, as the refs were. The offensive player had both hands on the football in the endzone. When he landed on both feet it was simultaneous possession with the defender. TD. The ball was ripped completely out of his hands after he had already scored.

-- Posted by Stuart on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 6:02 PM

What is the high school rule? This kid is in the end zone. He catches the ball with both hands and controls it while in the air over the goal line. When he lands he still has his hands on the ball and the defender has his on it also.

-- Posted by CoachKent on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 6:44 PM
  • He initially grabs it while in the air. Before his feet contact the ground the ball starts to come out. As his feet contact the ground the ball is grabbed by the defender. The receiver never had control of the ball whilst his feet contacted the ground. Refs made an incredibly correct call considering how tough of a call it is, even with slo-mo. I would not have faulted them for calling it a TD considering how bang-bang the play was. It was 100% an INT.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 1:49 AM

You only need one foot down in high school football, which he did and he had sole possession. As the second foot lands, then the defender who was beaten on the play grabs the ball. TD. Valle got hosed.

-- Posted by Golfcart_Lombardi on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 7:57 AM
  • We are all aware of the one foot rule in HS and college. The ball is coming out of his grasp before a foot hits the ground, he is not possessing it cleanly. He woodve regained control in another step or two but the defender took it before he could control it. Every and all replay officials woodve ruled it an INT. Every and all Valley fans woodve ruled TD. Understandable.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 9:10 AM

Wrong.

-- Posted by Stuart on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 10:52 AM
  • As fans we all have beer goggles for the team we root for.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 12:42 PM
  • Ciri, I hope your team makes it out of the first round of districts next year!

-- Posted by blue recruiter on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:06 PM
  • Interception.Because that’s the call on the field, and that’s what the video confirms.Stay classy.

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Dec 9, 2017, at 11:09 PM
  • In slo mo, it looks technically or by rule to have probably been a touchdown.

In real time, it was bang bang...and no way did it look that way.

Even with slo mo and instant replay, I doubt it would have been overruled because it just was not that clear cut.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sun, Dec 10, 2017, at 8:10 AM
  • Thanks Blue, thats awfully nice of you!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 12:17 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: