High School Basketball Forum: Any local players heading to the next level?

Posted by Cstorm on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:16 AM:

Heard through grape vine that we had some SEMO players going to D-1 colleges. Any truth to the rumors?

Replies (21)

• I thought Leech had at least a half dozen offers.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:37 AM

I think M. Leech P.B., F. Thatch Sik & K. Jones Sik all have offers on the table now.

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 11:43 AM
  • Lucas could lace em up for SEMO tomorrow I am quite certain of that. He and Al would make a pretty decent duo on the hardwood.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 12:00 PM

As of right now, Beel from Woodland has received interest from SEMO, Austin Peay, Eastern Illinois, Arkansas State, Missouri State and SIU-C but also a number of D2 and NAIA and JUCO's. Division 2 and on up ready to sign ASAP. No D1 offers as of yet. Columbia College,SEMO,Maryville U, Three Rivers, MAC, Lindenwood-Belleville, Lyon College some notable schools with extreme interest as of right now.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 1:10 PM
  • cker23,

I don't know the Beel kid, but off that list Columbia College would be great spot for him IMO after watching him play a couple times.

-- Posted by BobbyKite22 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 4:02 PM
  • Just don't see Lucas playing at that level and not many other people I've talked to think so either. Too slow to guard the postion he'd have to play. I don't even seeing him playing in region 16.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 5:32 PM
  • U may be right but u'd think a kid that consistently scores in the 20's almost every game would be valuable. Im impressed with his consistency and his FT form is outstanding

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 6:14 PM
  • It's been a lot of players that avg big numbers but college isn't about what u scored in high school. It's about ability and talent and most times it doesn't transfer. Lucas is slow of foot but he can get quicker feet and maybe if he lost maybe 7-10lbs he'd be quicker too. He can play college ball, I'm not one to think u have to go D1 either it's some very good ball players at any level nowdays! Don't think because a guy or gal chose to play a lower level that they aren't any good! Matt Rogers comes to mind real quick. That adjustment is real from HS to college, a lot of demands and school and you've gotta want it. I can name at least 10guys from the area that went to play only to leave after 1,2,3semester's in! Everybody is not equipped to handle it ,I'm just saying.I think Kimble from Sikeston and sharp from Charleston and Farr from Nmcc mayve earned themselves a shot at juco or NAIA IMO. Kinmble has a nice shot, good lift on his jumper and form and athletic those are tools that'll transfer to next level. Sharp would have to get stronger, no doubt but the kid can play. He understands the game, can shoot it and plays hard! Farr is slasher type, big body for a guard and also athletic.

-- Posted by Defensive Ace on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 6:50 PM
  • I agree he will play at the next level somewhere but it wont be at a D1 level.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 7:46 PM
  • I agree with with Bigelw. One of the biggest things a college coach will look for is the ability to guard. It is a huge jump from HS to college at any level. The athleticism at any level of college is so much higher than high school.

As Ace said theres are some very good players at all levels nowadays!

To any kid that reads this stuff I will say again, there is no shame in playing college basketball at a level other than D1!

There are many NAIA schools that have a far higher academic reputation than a lot of D1 schools. For kids that aren't Ben Simmons, remember its all about that education!!

And if you get four more years to play ball, it doesn't get any better than that!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 8:59 PM
  • Very well said IP I could not agree more.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:04 PM

Good post IP, completely agree!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:22 PM
  • Thanks Murph and Buck!! It is an issue I feel very strongly about!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:37 PM
  • Any word on Wes Sharp and Marshon Morrissey? Small town teams that has chance of doing something.

-- Posted by JustAnotherDay on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 9:59 PM
  • What do Yall think about Dominique Dyes of Sikeston? He can shoot, defend, and has become better at ball handling this year. I think he has D1 potential but might be better off going the Juco route first.

-- Posted by Chaka34 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 10:15 PM
  • I think Dyes is an outstanding athlete and excels at many facets of the game. Its hard to know these days where a kid under 6ft tall can have an impact at the college level cuz so much emphasis is placed on height. Thats why its cool to see a kid like Ulis at UK excel. Theres still hope for those less tall.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 11:46 PM

http://prospectsontherize.itsmyplay.com/

Here is a nice write up about Dominique Dyes... I think he is a solid role player in the college game. He could be the sharp shooter with defensive skills. Might not be an impact until late in his Sophomore season, but would be a serviceable D-1 player.

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 7:07 AM

That's a great article on Dyes! I'd love to see him get some good offers! Sikeston is definitely loaded!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 7:21 AM

Woodland's Zach Beel commits to D2 Maryville University. Proud of Zach! Congrats!

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Apr 19, 2016, at 6:48 PM
  • That should be a good fit for Beel.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Apr 20, 2016, at 6:50 AM
  • Valle Catholics Connor Basler will be playing for Steve Bieser at SEMO.

-- Posted by cruzin on Wed, Apr 20, 2016, at 11:47 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: