High School Basketball Forum: Show Me Kings: Bootheel Ball, The Cookson Clan, & A Run-And-Gun All-Star Show

Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 2:19 PM:

Has anyone read this book? I am considering purchasing a copy of this book. I think there are two other coaches in Southeast Missouri that deserve their own book. Maybe I will write a book about one of them someday.

Here are some reviews on Show-Me Kings: Bootheel Ball, The Cookson Clan, & A Run-And-Gun All-Star Show:

"Fantastic book. While the chronicles of a high school basketball dynasty is riveting, I was more amazed at Mitchell's examination of history. He makes you realize how everything is connected. I never thought about how hundreds of years of earthquakes, floods, boll weevils, railroad building, civil rights and religion could explain where everyone lived in Southeast Missouri, and how little decisions, like a man I had never heard of 50 miles from my home town coaching basketball for the first time in 1945, could explain why my high school would never defeat a smaller school just 12 miles away for 50 years. I like books that make you think, and this book makes you think."

"Being from the Southeast Missouri region and being familiar with many characters of the book made it a "must read" for me. I will admit, my expectations were high, but Mitchell exceeded them with Show-Me Kings. An excellent book about small town Southeast Missouri baketball and how the sport brings a cohesiveness to a community. But, it is more than a book about small town basketball dynasties led by SEMO small town legendary coaches, Ron Cookson and his older brother Carroll Cookson, it is a study into the history of that little region of the state commonly called "the bootheel". It is a great book to share with those you love."

"When I ordered this book, I expected to receive a "Hoosiers" type story regarding another small, out of the way, high school basketball team that overcame long odds to win a championship. I would have been very happy with that. But I was even more pleasantly surprised to find that the book served as more of a study of smalltown life and high school sports in America.

Having never been to the Bootheel area of Missouri, I came to this book with no history, no background, and no roadmap. But Mike Mitchell masterfully led me through the ups and downs of the region... weaving stories of families and floods, civic pride and civic strife into a fine collage of Sports Americana.

I had never spent much time thinking about the ways in which local sports affect a region... and the ways that a region affects its local sports. This book was an eye-opener.

Four stars for making me want to do a little research into the sports history of my OWN corner of the world."

Any thoughts on the book or which coaches in Southeast Missouri deserve to have a book written about them?

Replies (5)

• I have read parts of it, and I really need to get around to finishing it. Another great book for basketball and history fans is "My Name Is Mr. Ryan." One of my favorite books.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 2:26 PM

both books should be on your must read list if you wanna understand swampeast missouri basketball.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 2:35 PM
  • Crader

Have you read it? Can you comment on it?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 2:35 PM
  • Drawmules you really need to start with "My Name is Mr. Ryan". It will give you a great inside look at the man who all basketball success in Southeast Missouri can be traced back to. I would also suggest Show-Me Kings as well.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 5:09 PM
  • I have read both of those books. I like the Show-Me Kings book better. I am more familiar with the people involved, etc.

The other is a good read, and as said in other posts, you will know much more about southeast missouri basketball. That seems to be your goal so I would recommend both.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Fri, Jan 22, 2010, at 11:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: