8. Charleston (7-5)

9. Bernie (10-1)

10. Woodland

11. Advance (7-4)

12. Kennett (5-6)

13. Bloomfield

14. Malden

15. Hayti (10-2)

Top 3 could've gone either way. Notre Dame won the Southeast Missourian Tournament knocking off Cape Central and Jackson in the process. They beat NMCC the second time the played, however they suffered a huge lost to Sikeston on 12/19 and they are 1-1 vs Cape and NMCC. Sikeston's win over ND looks like it got them back on track and OT lost to Fort Zumwalt South showed that. Poplar Bluff only lost to a Southeast Missouri team came from NMCC. At the Showdown the Mules played well. Playing in the Championship for the first time since 2004 and winning over Union City, TN, who beat state ranked CBC. NMCC won the championship in their bracket at the Carbondale Holiday Tournament, but lost the overall title to Morgan Oak. The lost to Norte Dame didn't really hurt them when you consider they are 1-1 vs. each other.

Replies (52)

Woodland is 8-3

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 1, 2015, at 3:46 PM
  • 1. NMCC

2. Poplar Bluff

3. Notre Dame

4. Jackson

5. Cape Central

6. Sikeston

7. Scott County Central

8. Bernie

9. Charleston

10. Woodland

11. Malden

12. Kennett

13. Advance

14. Bloomfield

15. Hayti

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 1, 2015, at 6:37 PM

Bootheel sports thanks for putting a list together!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 1, 2015, at 9:56 PM
  • I understand you needing to put ND up near the top since they won the tourney over the holidays; however, just 2 weeks ago they not only got beat by Sikeston....they lost by 30! By 30!!! And you have ND at 3 and Sikeston at 7? Anyone in this area would've lost to FZS. I just think you need to rethink the gap between ND and Sikeston.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 6:13 AM
  • I think SCC is 9-4.

-- Posted by igobybob on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:17 AM

Well Redsandguy maybe Charleston should actually be higher than Sikeston. Charleston beat Sikeston head to head earlier this year.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:20 AM
  • Redsandguy so do you just ignore ND beating NMCC by 19, and beating Charleston at home? And correct me if I am wrong, but Charleston beat Sikeston at Sikeston. I am not saying ND is better, but for you to write them off is just silly. All that win proved for Sikeston is that anyone in the SEMO conference can beat anybody, or be beat by anybody. Tons of parody this year, but I agree Sikeston should be higher than 7.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:44 AM
  • I don't think he was writing off ND. I would have to agree that based on the eye-test Sikeston seems to be a little too low. The problem is, there's only about one spot you can move them up right now. MAYBE I'd put them above SCC and Cape, but that's as far as I could reasonably see them moving as of now. It will all shake out.

Right now I'm just excited to see Notre Dame playing well early in the season, especially after a couple of disappointing games. If they continue playing like they did in the Christmas Tournament, I could see them putting up more wins than they have in a few seasons. Class 4 District 1 truly seems to be wide-open at this point. Cape, Sikeston, and Notre Dame are all very capable.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 9:33 AM

Redsandguy Sikeston was beaten by Cape Central and Charleston at Home. They did beat ND by 30, but they if you want to look at mutual opponents the only mutual opponent that they've played this year that everyone above them have beaten is Dexter. So far this year their only impressive win came against ND. I believe Sikeston will pick it up when the season resumes.

The 3rd Power Ranking will probably have teams change position again. Play good basketball and beat good teams you move up. Otherwise you go down.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 10:33 AM
  • List looks good. ND isnt 30pts worse than sikes, that game may have been the worst game ive ever seen them play. I think the top seven could emerge victorious vs each other on any given nite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 10:58 AM
  • Oops meant top 8

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 10:59 AM
  • I'm with you cirithungol. Didn't want to sound like a homer by saying it first lol. I think Sikeston and ND could play 10 times and average maybe 8-10 point wins either way. 30 was definitely an anomaly. That shooting and unforced errors were just atrocious.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 11:59 AM

In the next couple of weeks, a few of these teams will have some challenging games. Charleston adds a player that could impact the Jays' play on the inside; with Sikeston and NMCC on the horizon, will be a good measuring stick as to how effective the kid will be.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 2:02 PM
  • Bird fan it's not fair that Ya add someone right before you guys play us.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 2:22 PM

NMCC will also add another inside player.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 3:14 PM
  • Dont know if this has been on another thread but apparently Coleiro from sikes moved back to CA over break. This makes 6 players gone from sikes varsity since day one of practice. A very disturbing trend. The season is turning into a disaster. Nothn worse than kids quitting on their coach and teammates.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 3:22 PM
  • Hey Buck !!!!! Happy New Year! Go Eagles!!!!!!

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 3:23 PM

Heard that too Ciri.

Hey Happy New Year man! Yeah go eagles!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 3:27 PM
  • Wow. that's a huge loss for Sikeston if Coliero moved back to CA! He was a big part of their offense so far.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:01 PM
  • Ciri I wasn't telling anyone about that I wanted it to be a surprise!! Ok so who is NMCC getting? I already found out who in Charleston.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:13 PM
  • Yah i wonder who the next one to quit will be, the next time Thatch drops 30.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:20 PM
  • I don't think any of them are upset because of Fred and as far as I know no one has quit because of him.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:34 PM
  • I know, im just venting

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:41 PM
  • Cant stand it when kids quit and parents stand around and lettm.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:43 PM
  • I just wished some of the guys that tried out that really wanted to be on the team, made it. Like Cornelious Jackson. He really wants to be on the team and he's doing really good on the town league. I know it's different than high school but he scored 32 in one game.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 4:54 PM

I don't think Anthony quit. I want to say there was a different reason why he moved

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 5:02 PM
  • A very very frustrating situation. Ur rite Mrs T, these quitters took spots that may have been available to less selfish kids.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 5:02 PM
  • I agree BUM there was a different reason for his move. The guys we have will step up and do what needs to be done. I still have faith in them.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 5:11 PM

I doubt that a 16-17 year old kid had much say in whether he moves, or not; and, I certainly wouldn't say he quit on his coach and teammates if he moved.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 7:15 PM
  • U mite be rite, im just mad weve now lost 3 players who played major minutes and the season aint even half over.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 7:43 PM
  • Notre Dame is in negotiations with a stud from St. Louis, so that could help us too.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:01 PM
  • With only Seven players SCC could use a couple of more players.

-- Posted by jayrod on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:14 PM
  • Poor kids only beat Delta by 81 tonight.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:15 PM
  • Y'all looking at Jayson Tatum, Farm? :-)

-- Posted by gianthook on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:29 PM
  • Yeah or the Porter kid over at Tolton Catholic.

Man, I'm ready for everybody to be back in action next week. I always dislike this lull after the Christmas tournaments.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:36 PM
  • Something nobody considered is ND is under new coaching. I know he was asst coach last year, but I am sure there were changes and kids are starting to click. Something that also surprises me is writing off Jackson. They lost to And, but I think they may be the best team.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:38 PM

Tatum had 39 points and 12 rebounds in their really good win over Lincolnshire Stevenson.

Porter had another crazy dunk tonight. This time under the leg windmill IN GAME dunk.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:41 PM
  • I'm hoping that's the case stlcardsfan. I'd love to see ND bring a district trophy home again.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 8:42 PM
  • Dustin you would rank Bernie over Charleston ?

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 2:57 PM
  • I did coach.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 3:06 PM
  • Bernie and Charleston both beat Woodland by nine points and Bernie has a better record than Charleston.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 3:20 PM
  • I know we have a long season still but does senath or have a shot at beating new Madrid in district What about hayti

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 4:32 PM
  • I've seen Dukes on AAU Circuit, he was more of a role player. I don't know how he will fit in with Senath, he's athletic as heck I know that. Based on what I've seen from him playing with the Wings, and the players on Senath now, I have a hard time seeing them beating NMCC.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 5:13 PM
  • Dustin that's a good point, but Bell City went down to the wire with them.

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 5:15 PM

Based on strength of schedule I think you have to go with Charleston. Not even close.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 5:23 PM

Dustin's logic can be a little suspect at times.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 6:53 PM
  • Those 5th grade volleyball articles are typically spot-on though.

I'm sorry. :(

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 6:55 PM

I particularly enjoy the summer swim team updates!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 7:13 PM
  • This year, actually, Charleston isn't that much better than bernie. Bernie could beat charleston this year. Would I rank them behind bernie? Now. But it's not nearly as illogical as some of you are making it.

Dustin outwork the previous sports editor at the Statesman 50-1. And at the end of the day he may say some things that are a bit off kilter, but he's usually as close to being right as most of the rest of us.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 8:37 PM
  • Larry Doby is not a Bernie fan. He will dress like an Eagle in the head-to-head game Tuesday.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 8:53 PM
  • Feels like the right time for an Oran win simply because streaks follow streaks and the game is at Oran.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 4, 2015, at 8:54 PM

Not gonna address the lunacy 2 posts up but here is what Dustin said in another thread. Doesn't matter how hard he works at it; journalism requires credibility.

Here's his post.

History suggests teams often lose their first game after a big win.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 3, 2015, at 5:07 PM

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Jan 5, 2015, at 7:05 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: