High School Basketball Forum: State Rankings

Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:03 AM:

The first state rankings of the season are out.

You can find them here: http://semoball.com/story/1601698.html

I was shocked to see Leopold at No. 5 in Class 1. Any other surprises? Who was left out?

Replies (52)

• I watched Whitfield play and there is no way they are the second best team in Class 3.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:11 AM
  • It appears I'm not the only one that believes Sikeston will win the rematch against Notre Dame. I think Sikeston is a really good team. Sikeston is one of the best teams I have seen this season.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:17 AM
  • Class 1. I think Leopold probably belongs in the Top 10 in Class 1. I also feel North Pemiscot belongs in the Top 10 in Class 1. Richland probably should be higher in Class 1. Richland is a really good Class 1 team. If Richland wasn't in a district with Scott County Central they would have a great chance to go to state this season.

Class 2. I guess I need to take a look at Sturgeon and Stoutland. I think these schools are within driving distance. I've never heard of Hamilton-Penney. Bernie is the only team from Southeast Missouri in the Top 10. Interesting. Could this mean the competition in Class 2 is down in Southeast Missouri this season?

Class 3. Does anyone think Arcadia Valley will win the state tournament? I'm curious if the sports writers for the Daily American Republic in Poplar Bluff have seen Arcadia Valley. Has anyone seen Arcadia Valley?

Class 4. I guess Borgia belongs. I haven't seen them. Sikeston is really good.

Class 5 I am sure McCluer North and Webster Groves are legitimate contenders for the state title. I thought Poplar Bluff had a good team when I watched them. However, I am not qualified to say whether or not they belong in the Top 10 in Class 5. I don't watch enough Class 5 teams play to offer an opinion.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:29 AM
  • zalmanian

I agree with your assessment of Sikeston. Sikeston is a really good team.

I was slightly surprised when Leopold's name appeared in the Top 5. However, when you stop and think about it there aren't many Class 1 teams in Southeast Missouri that can beat Leopold. Richland is a very good team, however. North Pemiscot is not far behind Richland. North Pemiscot was 14 points ahead of Richland at halftime before they were outscored by 25 points in the second half. I think Richland, Leopold and North Pemiscot would perform well against teams in the other regions of Class 1.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:36 AM
  • Class 1 - No surprise to see SCC at #1. Surprised to see Leopold and Richland ranked. Class 1 is down this year.

Class 2 - I never know anything about Class 2. Not surprised to see Bernie ranked.

Class 3 - I'm not usually one to make these kinds of statements, and I'm sure I'll get criticized for it (that's ok, I probably need to be), but I don't buy Arcadia Valley at #1. They have not played top competition in my opinion, and they have had some close games with some below average teams. I know, I know, a win is a win. We'll see how it plays out as the season progresses, and I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong if they keep up their winning ways. Surprised to see Whitfield a #2 with 5 losses. Seeing them that high makes me feel good about Charleston's chances this year...they gave Whitfield a good game at Perryville.

Class 4 - Nothing too shocking, Borgia is obviously number 1, although I wasn't sure if Notre Dame would be ranked, let alone at number 6.

Class 5 - Nothing unexpected, no SEMO Class 5 teams will touch the top Class 5 teams in the state unfortunately. That class is loaded.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:39 AM
  • I have a question. This question if for Crader.

How are the state rankings determined? In your opinion, Crader, are teams from the Kansas City area and the St. Louis area traditionally given more respect than the teams in Southeast Missouri? I have often wondered if the majority of the sports writers that vote on the state rankings are from the St. Louis and Kansas City area. There are more newspapers in St. Louis and Kansas City. Do these locations have more voters because they have more newspapers? I recognize sports writers from Southeast Missouri have the opportunity to vote on the rankings. However,are there more sports writers voting on the state rankings in St. Louis and Kansas City? Do you feel this impacts the rankings? I understand if you are prohibited from answering my questions.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 1:07 AM
  • Why did everyone go to sleep? I wanted to debate the state rankings all night.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 2:02 AM
  • yea pb should be at least in the top 10 considering we play the top 5 toughest schedule in the state according to max preps

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 7:36 AM
  • We release our second poll of the year - http://bit.ly/6wOUKr - with a new addition in every class including three new teams in Class 3. Check out the rankings and give us your feedback on what teams you think are overrated and underrated.

-- Posted by CAHoops on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 7:38 AM
  • I've watched Bluff play 2 or 3 times, and while I think they are a good SEMO area team, I don't see them getting ranked unless they win every game the rest of the season (and so so in convincing fashion against top teams). Just because a team is good in SEMO doesn't mean they're top 10 in the state, especially in Class 5. That class is loaded, and it takes a great team to break into the rankings.

Believe it or not, there is good basketball played outside of SEMO, and not all of our teams can be ranked.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:38 PM
  • FarmBoy06

I agree with your comments about good basketball being played outside of Southeast Missouri. However, I stongly disagree with Whitfield being ranked second in Class 3. I knew North Pemiscot would get left out of the state rankings when I watched them play the first week of the season. But I really like the Mustangs chances to go deep in the postseason. North Pemiscot will remain a contender in Class 1 for the next three seasons.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:43 PM
  • What do you consider "deep" into the postseason?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:46 PM
  • I think the state quarterfinals are deep. If you win your district and you win a sectional game you have gone deep in the postseason. Let's not forget North Pemiscot would not face Scott County Central until the state quarterfinals.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • That's true, didn't consider that.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 1:00 PM
  • I don't know anything about the Tennessee and Kentucky teams, although it seems that out of state teams usually get more hype from locals than they deserve.

Correct, Class 5 is always a strong class. It's usually just a whole different level of play, with the exception of a great team or two from Class 4. I would also agree that Class 4 is probably down this year. Borgia is back seemingly strong as ever, but our local SEMO Class 4 powers both seem to be down compared to last year, and I have to assume it's that way across the state considering where ND is ranked.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 1:39 PM
  • Class 5 is really a different level and oftentimes Semo teams are not given the benefit of the doubt. The fact of the matter is that since at least 2001, no Semo team that did not have Tyler Hansbrough has advanced past the sectionals in the largest classification. PB has some impressive wins on their resume', but so does the other 2 and 3 loss teams in the rankings. I think PB can get into the rankings by just continuing to do one thing...win. As long as they continue to do that and don't slip up with any eyebrow raising losses I would expect to see them in the rankings by the end of the year.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 2:10 PM
  • Out of state teams that have the courage to travel all the way to Missouri to play usually are pretty strong teams for the most part. And I've seen it for years that if you leave the Missouri state lines and play somebody in another state, you better be dang good if you're going to win on the road in another state. It's just tough to do. Bluff has some nice wins and beating Warren Central was very impressive, although Central did play without their top player Shanklin, who is being recruited by SEC and Big 10 schools.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 2:23 PM
  • Just based on what I saw last year of teams in person, the best teams in terms of ranking in my opinion were...

1. Liberty Tech, Tenn.

2. Borgia

3. Warren Central, Ky.

4. Sikeston

5. Scott Central

6. Maplewood

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 2:28 PM
  • North Pulaski was in the state championship last year their point guard is going to Mo.State Liberty tech won the showdown last year.As far as out of state teams that we have at the showdown they are usually pretty solid teams,remember we only won the showdown 1 time during the Hansbrough's years.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 3:03 PM
  • semohoops

Do you think Maplewood can beat Poplar Bluff?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 3:12 PM
  • I'm not semohoops, but this year I really don't think so. Didn't Jackson already beat Maplewood up at P'ville? Maplewood is way down from last year with the loss of Bryant Allen.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 3:19 PM
  • Arcadia Valley is good team. Will they win their district? I don't know. Can they beat Kennett, NMCC, or Charleston? NO!!! They play a VERY weak schedule in the small schools of the MAAA. Even play them twice. West County-decent, Valley of Caladonia-OK, Valle-POOR, Kingston-POOR, Bismarck-POOR, and I might be missing someone else. That's 10 wins right there. They play ALL schools in the MAAA tourney with Farmington, Fredericktown, Potosi, North County, and Park Hills Central. A loss may come there. Otherwise, they WILL be unbeaten come district time. SEMO teams play a brutal schedule. THEY WILL be ready come districts...Bernie should be ranked even higher. They are the team be beat in Class 2! Leopold surprised me. Bell City, a Class 1 team beat them. Go figure. 3 teams from District 3 in the top 10. Too bad SCC is in the district with the other 2. Glad to see alot of SEMO teams though.

-- Posted by country-dude on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 10:54 PM
  • country-dude

We have almost exactly the same viewpoints on the rankings.

Crader I was really hoping you would answer my question about how St. Louis and Kansas City sports writers impact the state rankings.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 13, 2010, at 10:59 PM
  • One team I have grown extremely interested in in Stoutland. Has anyone seen Stoutland? Does anyone have a Stoutland basketball schedule?

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 12:27 AM
  • Does anyone know if there is a website similiar to semoball.com in the Rolla or Springfield area that might provide information on Stoutland?

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 12:45 AM
  • I haven't seen Maplewood this year so I can't really say for sure. I think Maplewood last year could beat Bluff. But they lost Bryant Allen and that alone is a lot to overcome. When I ranked those teams earlier, those are the rankings of teams I saw last year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 7:52 AM
  • semohoops

Maplewood is down this year. They play at Scott County Central and Charleston later this season if you want to watch them. The game against Charleston is on a Saturday night.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 12:05 PM
  • drawmules

here's a website for stoutland you can go to. It might not have all the opponents on it, but it's a start.

http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=ratings&schoolid=MO6556...

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 12:50 PM
  • That is kind of what I was thinking on Maplewood. I saw them a handful of times the past two years and Allen was the WHOLE TEAM. They had some good role players to go with him, but he was unbelievable. One of the best guards I've ever seen. Once they lost him, they couldn't help but drop off.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 14, 2010, at 2:48 PM
  • Any hints on tonight's state rankings Crader? I doubt if much has changed since last week but I could be wrong.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 12:08 PM
  • Charleston boys will play Maplewood on January 30 in the late afternoon. It is the 4th game @ Charleston(the others are girls games) to benefit the Coaches Against Cancer fundraising effort around the state. Sorry not sure of the girls matchups. The coach at Maplewood is Charleston grad Cory Frazier. His teams at Maplewood have won the last two Class 3 State Championships.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 2:29 PM
  • I haven't seen the new rankings yet, drawmules. They should be made available in a few hours.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 2:55 PM
  • It looks like I may have got some bad information. There haven't been any new rankings posted today for publication. I'll keep searching for them.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 10:51 PM
  • I was curious if they are posted weekly. I wasn't sure. I'm really sleepy Crader and I'm in a really bad mood so if there aren't any state rankings I'm going to bed LOL.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 19, 2010, at 10:57 PM
  • I'm pretty sure the rankings are every other week.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 12:02 AM
  • Thanks friend FarmBoy that graduated from Notre Dame but knows enough about the Richland gym to know they have Internet LOL. Will you be attending the Richland / Leopold game on Thursday to scout?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 12:40 AM
  • Doubtful, but who knows....not a lot of games going on on Thursdays. A couple weeks ago was the first time I had been in Richland's gym in probably 5 or 6 years. Got to watch the Mustangs of North Pem.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 1:00 AM
  • LOL FarmBoy06 do you know anywhere I can get a good pork steak or pork chop sandwich north of Sikeston?

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 1:15 AM

Not farmboy, but you can get good barbecue at Dexter BBQ in Cape. Not a porkchop or porkchop sandwich, but it's excellent BBQ IMO.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 8:22 AM
  • drawmules

Come to Marble Hill and eat at Jay's. You will enjoy his pork steaks. Then you can listen to the Leopold Choir again and see another ballgame. If you need directions, let me know. It's easy to find.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 11:06 AM
  • drawmules, deervalley knows what their talking about, Jay's BBQ in Marble Hill is a really good place to get some BBQ. They are generous with the portions and cheap on the price. The pork steak is always tender and the loose meat BBQ is awesome.

-- Posted by farminmarsh on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 12:02 PM
  • LOL

I was just joking with FarmBoy06. If he is who I think he is he told me where to get a pork steak sandwich when I went to a tournament this summer. It was my way of seeing if he is who I think he is without anyone else knowing what I am talking about.

Thanks for the great food tips. You all are very nice. I've been to Jays. I don't know if I'll make it back to Leopold this season. It is a long drive to Leopold. I do plan on attending the semifinals of the conference tournament at Chaffee later this season. I believe Leopold plays in this tournament

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 2:47 PM
  • I promise you don't know me. Several folks on here from the Sikeston area know who I am or at least have a good idea. I know two people from Bernie, both females, neither go to as many games as you, so I'm certain we haven't met.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 4:42 PM
  • Yes zalmanian.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, at 11:58 PM
  • zalmanian

you forgot Meadow Heights & Oak Ridge

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Thu, Jan 21, 2010, at 7:43 AM
  • Zalmanian

Not a problem. Didn't think you did it on purpose

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Thu, Jan 21, 2010, at 10:17 AM
  • Will the rankings be released at midnight tonight?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 10:18 PM
  • Farmboy06

Apparently the rankings must have come out today sometime because marty mishow was at the Oak Ridge game & told the boys the new rankings were out & Oak ridge is ranked #10 Can't find this anywhere. But thats what he told them.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 11:09 PM
  • Thanks orf. I'll be looking for them on here or MoSports in the next hour or so.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 11:13 PM
  • Sorry I'm running a little behind because of going to the SCC game. I have the rankings and will have them posted in the next 5-10 minutes.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 12:17 AM
  • HURRY UP CRADER I'M SLEEPY LOL.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 12:19 AM
  • I feel this week's rankings are more accurate. Any thoughts? Here is a link to the rankings http://semoball.com/story/1605769.html

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 12:31 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: