High School Basketball Forum: Shooting fouls

Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Jan 1, 2010, at 11:40 PM:

I've watched a lot of basketball over the years and I believe that probably close to 50% of shooting fouls are not fouls at all. The refs make the calls because they assume a foul has been committed. I think way too many fouls are called on the slightest touch, or the appearance of a touch, especially on contested layups. It's crazy! That's why I couldn't be a ref, people would hate me for not calling touch fouls on shots.

Replies (8)

• I agree that sometimes there may not be alot of contact on a shooting foul, but 50% seems a little high to me. One of the most important things that a referee needs to do is see the whole play and not anticipate a call. That being said your calls need to be somewhat instantaneous because a hesitation or delay can be perceived as unsure. We officials make calls immediately and alot of times on the run, thats what can make officiating basketball tough at times. We officials should rely on experience, judgement and try to see everything. Post play officiating is very important, and with the advent of more 3-man crews in our area, I think it is cleaning up somewhat. A big thing is your angle on the play, most times the official and the fan have different angles. So sometimes we see one thing and you see another. Sometimes we look for advantage/disadvantage when making a call, not all contact is a foul. Reffing basketball is challenging but enjoyable. All officials should try their best each night and strive to be consistent. Cleaning up post play is a point of emphasis and I think the vast majority of us do a decent job.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 11:05 AM
  • semo ref

I really want to know which offical you are. I know I have see you and I have some theories about who you might be but nothing definite. Tell me this much. Do you work at a school?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 12:33 PM
  • I work off and on at several schools. Good job by you and Ms. Crader for keeping most of these postings above board and positive. People tend to get way too negative when they are anonymous. I just want to see good, positive, and exciting area sports.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 1:25 PM
  • semo ref

Off and on at several schools. . . are you retired now semo ref?

And I do not work for semoball.com. I am currently working on a degree in Mass Communications with an emphasis in journalism and advertising. However, Crader is the boss at semoball.com. She deserves most of the credit for keeping the threads positive.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 2:01 PM
  • I guess you could say semi-retired! Good luck with your insights on area sports.

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 3:46 PM
  • I think the refs are consistent for the most part too. I suppose I have seen way too many slow motion replays of college games where I cannot see the foul..... because there was not one!!! But, it has been that way for years and I suppose always will be. I, for one, was glad to see the no-call on the last play at the Sikeston/Scott Central game last year. That said, don't even get me started on the walking calls made when a player gives a good head fake and then dribbles. Yikes!

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Jan 2, 2010, at 6:40 PM
  • Semo Ref

I would have to say that our angles are always different. But that is why you have the whistle.

-- Posted by minn13 on Tue, Jan 5, 2010, at 5:53 PM
  • minn13 You are still the best PE flagfootball QB I have ever seen!! Keep up the good work with your girls team.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 3:58 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: