High School Basketball Forum: Class 4 Girls: Dexter versus Battle and Dexter versus Incarnate Word.

Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 12:39 PM:

Dexter girls will have to battle Battle to return to Columbia. Who will guranteed be awaiting? INCARNATE WORD. IW, they are big, strong, tall, talented, and fierce. Dexter girls, you can win!!!!! David and Goliath. Do you gals believe!!!!???

Replies (29)

Do me a favor Dexter girls. Watch the final part of the movie "Friday Night Lights" with Billy Bob Thorton. It pitted a small Periman team against a gigantic Dallas Carter team. No one gave Periman a chance, no one but the coach and some fans. Periman Panthers nearly pulled it off over the Cowboys of Dallas Carter, Texas. The Panthers of Periman elevated their game to new heights and had the big boys of Carter on their hills. Periman lost the game, but they won the battle!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 12:47 PM

TRUE STORY....1988

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 12:48 PM
  • First they have to beat Battle and then would have to get past either St. Joe Benton or Notre Dame de Sion to even get the chance to play Incarnate Word Basketball Academy

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 12:50 PM
  • They have their work cut out but believe they will get there. Then...well. Hope IWA gets upset before finals. Probably not.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 1:41 PM

Okay, if they beat Battle in the quarterfinals, wouldn't that put them up against IW in the semifinals??

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 2:01 PM

Or has IW moved to the other side of the bracket?

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 2:02 PM
  • They are on the other side of the bracket.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 2:07 PM
  • Hope they get the chance to face IWA, that means a great run. IWA is a different beast though. Four D-1 level players, including a top 5 Jr. in the nation. They are the real deal and competing for a chance to be named National Champions by a few different ranking services. IWA has had the state title wrapped up since Napheesa transfered from Jeff City a few years ago.

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 2:28 PM
  • Does anybody know anything about Battle? I know they have a losing record at 12-15, but so did Rosati Kain in last year's quarterfinal game and they gave the Lady Bearcats a real battle (no pun intended).

Battle is a new school up in Columbia and they seem to have gotten hot at the right time of the year. That's about all I know. Can anybody else add any other info? A scouting report maybe?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 5:06 PM
  • A preview on Battle will be available in the Friday afternoon print edition of Dexter Daily Statesman.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 6:58 PM
  • I remember 1994 (??) when Portageville played Cardinal Ritter in the 2A quarterfinals. Cardinal Ritter had Loren Woods, Chris Carawell, and Jahidi White, 3 future D1 players. Portageville had Antonio Sykes, Lakeith Noel and a bunch of guys around 6 foot who played hard. I remember listening to it on the radio thinking, "No way." But they did. IWA would be a huge mountain to climb no doubt, but that's why they play the games. Dexter has to win 2 more before they can think about that, though.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • Big,big difference in the dynamics of those two teams. Ritter played about as dumb as you could play allowing the master Jim bidewell to do what hall of fame coaches do. I don't think IWA will make those kind of mistakes. That's why they play the games. Never mind the fact that dexter still has two more games to win to even get to that point.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Mar 13, 2014, at 8:17 PM

Incarnate Word is down to three D1 starters now that 6'3" center McKenna Treece (Kansas State) is out with a stress fracture. Treece was voted MVP of the Naples Shootout earlier in the year.

IWA has shown some vulnerability lately. Miller Career was down by just 7 at halftime in the district final and MICDS, probably the second-best team in StL, lost to them by only 13 in the sectional.

It would still be a big upset if anyone beat them. They are currently ranked #2 nationally in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25. Their only loss is to #1 Blackman of Murfreesboro, TN. IWA beat Blackman the first time they played and lost the second when they missed a bunch of free throws.

Napheesa Collier gets most of the attention. (Geno Auriemma was at the sectional game to see her), but when I've seen them play, it is the little guard, Nakiah Bell, who has gotten them going. Collier is a great athlete who can run the floor all day, but her offensive game is fairly limited right now. The great majority of her points come right at the basket.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 7:27 AM
  • Dream all you want, Incarnate Word cruises to the title, and it is a shame. They are exactly the reason why private schools should have their own championship.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 1:56 PM

That might seem to be the case in Class 4, but it's not in Class 5. There's not a private school in that class that would get within 40 points of Rock Bridge, which is just as good as IWA.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 2:15 PM
  • Rock Bridge has more size than IWA. Dexter has to win this Saturday night to get an opportunity to go to the final four. We played Rock Bridge as close as anyone this year in Missouri not named IWA. Playing them (IWA)last year will help some in knowing what they do. Coach Rolfes is very good as well but I'm sure the Dexter girls would love an opportunity to be playing at 6:20 next Saturday night in the Mizzou Arena.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 3:56 PM

I'm sure we all agree. What better championship win, than to beat one of the USA'S best!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 6:18 PM

Imagine that newspaper sports headline: DEXTER STUNS INCARNATE WORD 71-70 IN DOUBLE OVERTIME!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 6:19 PM
  • I think dexter can hang with IWA. Dexter and IWA both played Rock Ridge this year! Rock Ridge beat dexter by 12 and they lost to IWA by only 3! IWA is missing a key player! If dexter can make it I think they can surprise them! They just need to have an off night!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 7:12 PM
  • Dexter has a great team. Still, IWA by 20 - take it to the bank.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 7:51 AM
  • Hard to believe a state quarterfinal could be so lopsided. Guess it happens. Think dexter gets a step closer but beating IWA a big problem. Should be closer than last year. Dexter loses a lot after this year though. Great run either way.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Mar 16, 2014, at 11:08 AM
  • Dexter's girls will have to continue playing well to advance to the championship game. Benton is a very patient team. If Dexter can get them out of their game, it would be beneficial.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Mar 17, 2014, at 10:50 AM
  • Rock Bridge beat Dexter by 16.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Mar 17, 2014, at 2:31 PM
  • Rock bridge beat dexter 54-42!

-- Posted by Longer78 on Mon, Mar 17, 2014, at 7:56 PM
  • Actually we were both wrong.

Dexter 5 7 12 18 -- 42

Rockbridge 17 17 18 4 -- 56

However, as you can see they were down 52-24 after the 3rd Quarter. So, not really as close as it sounds. I hope they do great in COMO though!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Mar 17, 2014, at 11:23 PM
  • Reddirt,

The Bearcats made up lots of ground in the 4th quarter against the starting five of Rock Bridge and actually had them on their heels a bit.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 6:58 AM

GO LADY BEARCATS!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM
  • You see that all the time when a team is up 30 after the 3rd they are just ready to be done.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 1:41 PM
  • Not the case in this one Big. They were playing hard. Even called a timeout.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 2:10 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: