High School Basketball Forum: Charleston vs. Madison Prep

Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 2:22 PM:

Any thoughts on this game?

Here's the link to Madison Prep's sectional win.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/class-sectional-no-ma...

I went to the game. Was my first look at Madison Prep this year. They are an excellent team, but they lack the firepower they got last year from Payne and Baker. They also lost Miles Nettles, the 6'4" athlete who may have been their best all-around player.

But they still defend--usually full court man-to-man that sooner or later wears the opponent down.

Even though they don't the same level of offensive skills as last year's combo, their guards are very solid. They did a good job of hitting open looks and getting the ball inside to their big men, who go 6'7" and 6'8". They didn't have that kind of size last year.

Replies (22)

A common opponent....PB

Madison Prep defeated PB by 6 back on Dec 20

Charleston defeated PB by 12 back in early Dec; PB handed the Jays their tail feathers a couple of weeks ago.

Outcome depends on which Charleston team shows up.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:00 PM

How is Charleston's guard play, birdfan?

My impression is the first order of business against Madison Prep is to take care of the ball. MP is capable on going on runs by forcing turnovers.

When Whitfield handled it cleanly, they got the ball inside for some decent looks, despite MP's size.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:11 PM
  • Charleston gets great guard play from Del Bogan. I think they should handle MP's pressure just fine. The Jays also play tenacious defense, but they have had problems with teams with size. That sounds like MP's edge in this game.

Unclegrubworm, is MP fast? Charleston has great quickness at all positions which forces alot of turnovers.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:14 PM

Charleston has very good ball handlers, particularly Del Bogan. Of course, Charleston had one of the best in Ryan Parham, last year, and MP still forced turnovers.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:15 PM

Last year, MP displayed more team speed than any team Charleston had faced, including Sikeston.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:16 PM

If Webster can play like he did against clearwater I really like charelstons chances. Madison is probably the state favorite but maybe that late loss was exactly what charelston needed. That last game everyone was doing their part and I was impressed with their amount of offensive rebounds. Hope they pull out the win, and I think their guards will be able to hold their own

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:41 PM

It's going to be tough with their size, coaching, etc. GO JAYS! We always get a formidable, big city opponent at this point...private schools recruit?! I am just kidding...63834: GO! TEAM! FIGHT! WIN!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:54 PM

Foul trouble will be paramount.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 3:55 PM

Q: Unclegrubworm, is MP fast? Charleston has great quickness at all positions which forces alot of turnovers.

--Yes, they are quick. Similar to last year as far as guard quickness. But this year's team doesn't have the same quickness from their bigger guys. Last year they had Nettles, who was 6'4" and very athletic.

To me, they play a SEMO-style defense. Quite a bit of bumping and hand-checking. The Whitfield crowd was going crazy. Charleston should handle that better.

Cook, their 6'8" man, will do damage if he is not defended. Pretty agile and has a nice touch. Can knock down short jumpers. He's their leading scorer. The 6'7" guy is a freshman. Wasn't so offensive-minded. Charleston must box out. Whitfield's big man was just 6'5", but he fought like hell and scored around 25. He's a talented kid, however.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:06 PM

Preacher Man, MP handled the ball well against Whitfield, but Whitfield did not guard the ball closely--had just 1 quick guard. Played a triangle and 2 and box and 1 and tried to deny the ball to MP's scorers. Sometimes just played a 2-3 zone, usually without much pressure on the ball.

One of MP's guards is a freshman. He looked pretty good, but their other two guards, Lee and Herndon, had the ball most of the time when things tightened up.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:19 PM

Unclegrubworm: Is Madison deep? I don't think that we are, for the most part. This is why I think that foul trouble will be defining for us.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:30 PM
  • I believe the Jays can win. They play good team defense and have "that" guy late in close games to handle the ball and make decisions, D Bogan of course. That gives them a chance against most anyone. Having said that, think MP will win. Pulling for Jays though. Who would be next potential opponent??

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:58 PM

Del's exactly the kind of player you want in this situation, the sluggers chance

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 5:05 PM

SOOC, I think MP used 3 subs--2 big men, 6'5" and 6'6", and a freshman guard. Appears that three of their top 7 are freshmen.

My recollection is that they had more guards last year.

They were strong the last couple of minutes, however. Whitfield cut the lead to 3 with 3:18 left in the game, but MP pulled away.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:44 PM
  • Thanks for the answers unclegrubworm.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 12:41 AM

Thanks. The teams should be on the court now warming up. I hope that someone posts what's going on, please. Thanks.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 1:26 PM
  • Will the game be streamed online? It was last year.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 2:04 PM

@$&#=+/!!!!!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 3:48 PM

Madison Prep used more guys than they did last week. Irons told the P-D the idea was to wear down Del Bogan. A couple of the guys they used hadn't played that much this year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/class-quarterfinal-ma...

It had an effect, but I thought Charleston actually had more energy late this year than they did in last year's game when it was clear they were out of gas in the last few minutes.

I think the concerns about the size difference some of you voiced proved to be accurate. They were looking for the big freshman, Stockard, on nearly every possession he was in the game. I thought Webster did a nice job on Cook, the 6'8 center, but Charleston didn't have anybody else large enough to keep the 6'7 Stockard from operating in the paint.

Their big men also affected a lot of Charleston's shots in close. They rushed several shots, which was understandable, and were a little tentative on a couple of others.

Overall, I thought Charleston hung in there and battled a tough opponent. But MP took Charleston out of its rhythm on a lot of possessions with its defensive pressure.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 11:13 PM
  • So Floyd Irons is back coaching? uh oh

-- Posted by hoopaholiczanon on Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 4:59 AM
  • Prep's coach is "Tony" Irons, not Floyd.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 8:53 AM

Altonio didn't play for his father in high school (played at Lutheran North), but his teams play a lot like his dad's. Very tough defensively and sound fundamentally.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 12:57 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: