High School Basketball Forum: Caruthersville vs Charleston

Posted by BasketballRim on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 9:51 PM:

A high power offense in Caruthersville vs a shut you down defense in Charleston. Who wins and why?

Replies (128)

Caruthersville will have to have Jeremy Grant to have a chance in this game.. Charleston has faced tougher competition this year and came away with wins...It is very hard to win at the Jays nest..I think Sikeston was the last team to beat them there in 2010...We have the players to do it we just got to outscore them :)

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 1:53 AM

The thing with Caruthersville though is that we have 4 solid ball handlers, any of them can handle pressure. Most teams have 2 good ball handlers tops and they get wore down fast and it leads to lots of turnovers...I know Bogan will get his 30+ We have not stopped a prolific scorer all year long..But we have yet to let one man beat us...its going to take a team effort for either of these teams to come out with a win Tuesday, we have the upper hand in experience and how well our points are distributed but Charleston is a very well coached team that hardly ever beats themselves..We come out flat like we did against Holcomb or give up a late lead like NMCC we will find ourselves with our second loss of the season.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 2:03 AM

Question: Who has C-ville played of merit so far this year? No disrespect, but what is their biggest win to date? I think that athletically the Red Tigers can match us, but...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 2:30 AM
  • I say Charleston will win by 20 to 23 points.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 7:21 AM
  • Charleston 78

Caruthersville 60

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 1:18 PM
  • IF and I say IF Caruthersville has everybody available, this will not be a 20 point game in my opinion. Caruthersville has more quickness and speed than any team in SEMO in my opinion. I would still pick Charleston but I won't be shocked at all if it's close.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 2:31 PM
  • I saw Caruthersville play back in the summer which was of course a long time ago. Monroe is an absolute beast and they have some other real nice players. Personally I would not be surprised if they beat Charleston.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 3:27 PM
  • Charleston 80-64

-- Posted by PBMuleFan on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 4:40 PM

C-ville may win as they will be pumped; this is probably their "game of the season." Again, athletically, the red Tigers are magnificent. Charleston, however, brings a certain aura to the spectacle.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 4:42 PM
  • If this game is a Charleston, you Caruthersville people better be there when the doors open or you will be listening to it on the radio. Ask a Reddog fan.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 5:11 PM

Lastride Caruthersville fans don't travel to well during the weekday games, we usually have 15-30 fans show up. I am sure Sikeston fans travel way better.. Hey Coach Smith if you are reading the forum could you let us fans know if Grant is going to get to play or not?

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 6:28 PM
  • Charleston- 142

Caruthersville- 127

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 7:14 PM

We the TARANTULA...on the caterpillar...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:37 AM

We the eighteen wheeler...rolling over the armadillo...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:41 AM

We the orange and blue fire coming from under the skillet...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:45 AM

We the round out the tank...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:47 AM

We that loud, hard "smack" on the mosquito...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:49 AM

We the sharp teeth on front of a torpedo...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:53 AM

When you dead, we the maggots that are eating your flesh...we the resounding "click" on the firing pin...DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU PLAYING WITH?!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 5:03 AM

You trying to take OUR district?! Don't start no stuff, won't be no stuff (do you know who you playing with?!)...Don't start no stuff, won't be no stuff (do you know who you playing with?!)...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 5:18 AM

Our basketball prowess; computers can't delete it, and penicillin can't defeat it!!!!!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 5:32 AM
  • Its a done deal. Cville will be without Grant for Charleston game. Thats 20+ points and 15+ rebounds. It was going to be hard enough to go into Charleston and beat them. Charleston hasn't lost at home in forever. I don't understand why Coach Smith would sit him for such a big game. This is the best team that Cville has had in a very long time and Coach Smith is risking it. Coach has sit players for a quarter, half, and a game. Now its one our best players for the most important game of the year. I don't agree with this. Coach Discipline is making a mistake on this one. I understand that the players really like him and enjoy playing for him. I don't understand why. He is too strict. This is the first time in 12 to 15 years that we did not lose not one single player to grades, quitting, or behavior problems - and he wants to do this!

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 11:25 AM
  • With you on that Dean. I just went through a four game stretch without my best player. He learned a valuable lesson and my team handled the adversity and overcame the obstacles and we are better because of it. Now the message has been sent. He has become more responsible for his future and the underclassman will not make the same mistakes he did. Go Jays and Go BlueDevils!!!

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 12:40 PM
  • I agree 100% with the coach on this.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 12:48 PM
  • Couldnt agree more Dean and coach. Above someone said Charleston's last home loss was to sikeston in 2010, but Im correct it was actually to your team (Maplewood) maybe 2 years ago?

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 1:51 PM

Maybe the reason Caruthersville hasn't lost kids to grades, behavior problems or just quitting is due to the discipline. I applaud a coach who tries to make kids understand the consequences of breaking rules. Will only make the young men better citizens.

And Charleston also lost to Cape Central at home in 2012 with a hobbled Greg Tucker.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 2:52 PM
  • In hischool, the kids are there to learn life. The outcome of one game means nothing in life. The coach hit a home run on this one.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 3:16 PM

At CHS it "smells like teen spirit"...Red Tigers, here we are now, entertain us...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:50 PM

...nevermind all the Final Four appearance banners...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 4:56 PM

I think it is more the administration than it is Coach Smith. Basketballrim you always have the hot of the press news but you never tell why he has to sit out the 2 games. You obviously know someone in school heck you are probably a member of staff yourself...just curious..

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 7:08 PM
  • Not figured it out yet? I'll bet BasketballRim is either Coach Smith or his wife. What do you think?

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 8:57 PM

beef & cheese.....coming up, tomorrow night?

What about the Judge? Last time he was in the Charleston gym, he came close to having a horrible fall. Better him than me; I'd have probably landed on my arse and broke something; I've been known to do such things....lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:03 PM

I can't speak for JD but me and cheese are going he has to see if he can get off of work before 5 so we can get a seat before JV starts..Do you think we will be to late if we show up about 6:30..our fans travel lightly if that gives you any help on seating for us.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:07 PM

Yeah Bird I'm planing on coming as well. Trying to get off work early tomorrow so I can make it in time. Me and beef won't be too tough to find. You'll see a group of about 3 guys together, all wearing Cville gear, that will be us.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:07 PM

Don't think you'll have a problem with finding a seat. Crowds are light on Tuesday nights, particularly when it's as cold as it is. Hope to see and meet you.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:10 PM

Instead of royal blue windshirt, I'll be wearing a charcoal gray v-neck sweater; gotta dress for warmth!! See ya this evening!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 7:54 AM
  • I get my info from the coffee shop. There are individuals there that are with the school. This morning, they said that Grant only had to sit out this past Friday and will play tonight. Just given my opinion, no need to attack me.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 11:31 AM

You can call out the coach but you don't want someone to call you out?

-- Posted by mz259 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 11:45 AM
  • With or without Grant, no win for Cville. 2 good teams but that place is almost impossible to go into and win. Too much Jays defense and too much D Bogan. Jays by 15.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 5:44 PM
  • Grant is starting for Cville

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 7:23 PM
  • Is cheesehead or where's the beef the guy who yelled "get that junk out of here!" When Monroe blocked a shot. Jays up 39-31 at the half

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:09 PM

I think C'ville is going to set the National Record for fouls!

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:32 PM

Monroe flipped off the Charleston student section!

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:35 PM
  • Yeah I saw Cvilles coach yelling at Charleston pep squad. Yet he didn't call a timeout for cvillenuntil mid 4th quarter. Get your priorities straight coach!

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:43 PM

Can we say "composure," boys and girl?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:47 PM

girls

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:47 PM
  • Couldn't make it up tonight birdfan...still recovering from my fall from my last trip (pun intended) to the Charleston gym! ;-)

I'm not saying it didn't happen (as I said, I didn't go to the game), but I would be stunned if what Harry_Callahan said about Monroe was true. I've been watching him for many, many years and I have never seen him behave poorly.

Congratulations to the BlueJays. Hope that we will meet again! Perhaps we won't commit 100 fouls next time! ;-)

-- Posted by Judgedog on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:49 PM
  • It was true judge, he did flip the bird and mouth a bit. Heat of the moment when he was fouled out

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 8:56 PM
  • I'm sure none of the Charleston fans were giving him the business after he fouled out. ;-)

If it is true, I certainly apologize for his lack of judgment. Strange things can happen in "the heat of the moment".

Again, congrats to the Jays on a nice victory.

-- Posted by Judgedog on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • No need to apologize, things happen. Good luck to cville the rest of the season, they definitely have talent.

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 9:07 PM
  • If he did then if the coach is that big on discipline then he should sit him for a couple games.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 9:07 PM
  • Score please????????????

-- Posted by indian73 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 10:17 PM

84-65 Charleston

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 10:20 PM
  • Thnx

-- Posted by indian73 on Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 10:32 PM
  • I think it is pretty sad for a player of Monroe's caliber to do what he did tonight. He is one of the better players in the area, but he can not hold his temper. I was sitting right behind the c'ville bench and heard everything that he said to the Charleston student section. Grant-it, it wasn't anything to bad, but he still should have kept his composer a little better. The thing that bothered me the most about the little situation, was when the c'ville coach walked up to him and said "don't you just love those little punk a** kids." I have great respect for coaches of all levels, but you just can not say something like that when you have fans two feet behind you. In my opinion, that was not a very classy move on the c'ville coaches behalf.

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 1:52 AM
  • How many points a game is Bogan averaging? Thanks

-- Posted by Steve Frey on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:18 AM

ab 27-28 PPG. He is electric!

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:23 AM
  • I didn't make this game. Did Cville press the Jays?

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:30 AM

They tried but it only led to a lot of fouls.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:49 AM
  • Just for the record to Hershisers or whatever your name is.....it was ME that stood up and shouted "Get that junk out of here!" I was sitting right next to "where's the beef". I don't believe for a minute that Darrell flipped anyone off either. I have NEVER seen him display anger to anyone on the court. Plain and simple, the refs helped the Jays out IMMENSELY last night. Our players could just BREATHE on a Jay and get called and we would have to get a head taken off to get a call. Wasn't called fair AT ALL! I guess you Jay fans don't want to mention that your "spirit squad" down on the end was standing up with their little bull horns, taunting our players right in their ears as they were trying to take the ball out either huh?? Very classless on your parts as well. Enjoy your basketball wins against us because y'all sure can't get it done against us at football!

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:24 AM
  • How many football banners do you all have Dean? lol

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • Oh and Dean, as long as y'all keep those refs in your back pockets, I would imagine you WILL keep seeing your "success". Keep up the good work ;)

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:51 AM
  • That's bootheel basketball get out of the bootheel and you see what happens.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:01 PM

Wondered how long it would take to start blaming the officials. Good restaint. Made it about 13 hours. Lets not overlook the fact C'ville was 6/21 from the free throw line (28%) and couldn't hit an outside, uncontested shot to save thier lives. Mr. Monroe fourth foul was the two handed shove of Moore on a rebound (pretty easy call) and his fifth was great defense on Webster until he reached around on with both hands to try to strip him (again pretty easy and not a good way to foul out). It was obvious he was frustrated and pick up frustration fouls. And yes, he flipped off the student section right after he yanked his jersry out of his shorts and threw up his hands. I was right behind the C'ville bench and saw/heard the exchange.

You get called for a lot of fouls when you defend with your hands and not your feet.

Overall I think C'Ville is still loaded and will be a handful come district time. I enjoy watching Darrel work in the paint and and body up. He's truly a physical speciman. I think he hit his elbow on the rim with the dunk!

-- Posted by Attaboy on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:08 PM

And the official are assigned but the association, not picked by the school. Good try, next excuse.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:09 PM
  • 4 starters fouled out. The fifth starter had 4 fouls. Our starters played about half the minutes that they normally do.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:20 PM
  • So gridiron, i guess Charleston hand picks their refs when they go to sectionals, quarter finals, and state too? Give me a break. In all honesty i have only seen one out of the three refs from last night ever ref a charleston game. As for you talking about football, i think its funny you are even talking about sports. You are the most out of shape, coach potato, live with mommy man i have seen in quite some time. I was sitting right below you and remembered cheesehead saying he may be at the game, wearing something similar in a similar vacinity. So i thought it might be him. Sorry to compare you to gridiron, cheese. "Lets go play football" get out of here with that dude. If grant didnt play, you would be using that as the excuse you lost. Your coach is bad, dont call a timeout until midway through the 4th quarter. Even your own fans were complaining about him!

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:26 PM
  • Im sorry, i shouldnt have attacked your physical appearance. I feel like Richard Sherman calling you a mediocre fan. I just remember you yelling at EVERYTHING! Everything was a walk, or a foul, or not a foul, etc. A little biased.

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:39 PM

Dustin if they are going to go anywhere they better learn to move their feet better on defense. They are a QUICK team, but they use their hand and hack a lot.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 1:22 PM
  • Yeah, Hershisers, I don't suspect you'd be willing to talk all that garbage to my face. You seem pretty comfortable doing it through the internet. Come holler at me if you have an issue with me or what I say. I wasn't on here talking trash about your personal appearance. I could care less. I don't care what YOU say or any other of your fans say. Yeah, your team is good...but your team made plenty of hard fouls that SHOULD have been called as well. You are exactly right I holler about everything. It was a one sided game with the referees. Couldn't have been more obvious! I'm not taking away anything from your team. It's no secret they are a good team...but whether your fans want to admit it or not...the refs were VERY biased last night.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 1:55 PM
  • Dean, we'll just have to see what we shall see if we meet up again. Should be on a neutral court next time and I'm thinking if won't be the same story. Not many will be y'all at home. No secret there. Your boys made some big time fouls on us last night too...they just didn't get CALLED for it! Refs must have had their head turned at that time or something. The reason D. Bogan had so many points is because he's a BALL HOG! Will he be carrying your team next year when you loose your big man and the rest of the seniors??

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 1:59 PM

Didn't make the game last night. Didn't leave work til almost 7 so I just decided to listen on radio. Sounded pretty even until we got in foul trouble. I wasn't there so I can't comment too much on the officiating becasue all I can go by is the radio guy. I don't think I've ever seen a team foul out 4 starters. Hard to win any game that way, whether the fouls are warranted or not. I do know our free throw shooting must improve.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:03 PM
  • He won't have to carry them they just reload year after year after year after year.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:20 PM

Way to call out a kid gridiron. You say Del is a ball hog how in the heck did SHandor score 20+ on you to then? It was a very physical contest Monroe made some frustration fouls, but he is a heck of player. I'll be glad to see him gone next year. Hope he lands with a college football team and has a successful collegiate career.

-- Posted by mz259 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:22 PM
  • Just stick to football grid. "Your best player was a ball hog" sounds like a child's excuse for losing a game. Bc he knew to attack the rim and draw fouls? Wouldn't you be more comfortable getting the ball to Monroe if you could? Would you then call him a ball hog? Caruthersville played defense with their hands, that led to all the fouls. I believe they do have the talent and skill to do well though. See you in districts

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:26 PM
  • mz259, I call it like I see it. I didn't call him a name, I simply told the obvious. I never said they weren't good players. They make their shots and were WAY better than us at the line. I'm not going to say we will beat y'all....but if we meet up again on a neutral court, it will be a closer game. Just seems a little strange when the majority of our starters get fouled out.....QUICK. Something not quite right about that. If things were called evenly....then both teams would have been in serious foul trouble. It wasn't just us committing all the fouls and walks and pushing off.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:29 PM
  • Draw fouls is RIGHT Hersh.....ANYONE can drive in the lane and jump into a player standing completely still and draw a foul. lol Do they teach your kids to do that there?? We DO feel comfortable getting the ball to Monroe...but he has 4 other guys on the floor that he has no problem giving it up to that are capable of getting the ball in the rim.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:34 PM
  • Yeah, I know another joke....those REFS from last nights game!

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 2:49 PM

Last time I laughed that hard i fell off my dinosaur! Thanks Gridiron you proved you truely see the game through those Red/Black glasses.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:05 PM
  • As i watched the game last night, I thought of Cville as the Meridian High School of Missouri. (Meridian is located in Mounds,Il) and is a good ball club. They have talent, but they always seem to not have it together as a team, if that makes sense. Granted Meridian did beat Charleston this year. Is that a safe assumption? Caruthersville would be better with better basic fundamentals, team skills? The foul talk needs to stop haha. Yes two of the refs were bad, one imparticular. But, werent there more things attributing to Caruthersville losing last night than just the refs?

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:10 PM
  • Yes, Harry, I'm a Tiger fan. Why WOULDN'T I see the game through my "Red/Black glasses"? Actually, our colors are red and white and I don't wear glasses...but ok then. lol

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:44 PM

gridiron.....is the 72 your old football number or the year you graduated?

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:47 PM
  • Gridiron is starting to sound like a Sikeston fan with all that ref talk! Just take the loss like a man and get over it. On the other hand....I do believe we are only losing to seniors this year that start. We will be losing a heck of a defensive player (Robert Bogan) and a big man (Shandor Webster)that has the potential to put up 20pts and 10 rebounds per. That does not bother us tho. We have another big man coming up that goes by the name of Tyler Craig that also has the potential to put up 20 and 10 a night if he keeps working hard. Just remember we don't reload, we rebuild!

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:49 PM
  • Gridiron is starting to sound like a Sikeston fan with all that ref talk! Just take the loss like a man and get over it. On the other hand....I do believe we are only losing to seniors this year that start. We will be losing a heck of a defensive player (Robert Bogan) and a big man (Shandor Webster)that has the potential to put up 20pts and 10 rebounds per. That does not bother us tho. We have another big man coming up that goes by the name of Tyler Craig that also has the potential to put up 20 and 10 a night if he keeps working hard. Just remember we don't reload, we rebuild!

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:49 PM
  • Yes, Hersh....we have things we can work on. No doubt and no it wasn't just the incompetent refs that caused us to lose the game. I just know it would have been a MUCH closer game if we would have kept all of our starters in the game (instead of accumulating all the piddly fouls). The Bluejays are ALWAYS the team to beat. We all know that. But just as you all are passionate about seeing your team to win....I'm just as passionate about seeing my Tigers win and just want to see a fairly called game...win or lose. Simple.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:50 PM
  • Birdfan, the 72 is neither of the above. It's actually my birth year.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:52 PM

okay....you're a bit younger than me....I had a good friend originally from Caruthersville who was an offensive/defensive lineman....he's now a doctor up north somewhere...big red-head named Jeff Boyd....we went to Boys' State together back about the time you were born....we didn't play C'ville in football when I was in school....lucky for C'ville!!! lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:56 PM
  • Hey bluejaypride, I have no problem losing....just want to lose fair and square....but we didn't. But life goes on. You'll have YOUR chance to take a loss like a man come next football season. We all know how you all will "rebuild" next season. As you do every year. Can't deny that. Maybe we'll REGROUP and be more of a challenge if we face you in districts.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:57 PM

I am a Bluejay fan, but I can sit back at watch the game and have an objective opinion. Take a step back and take off your tin-foil hat and watch the game.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 3:58 PM
  • Again, I wasn't there but I don't think pressing Charleston is a good idea. I think using it in certain spots to just "mix things up" could be ok but I wouldn't just press them. D Bogan is just too good. I have no dog in the fight, but if Cville doesn't play better defensively, no way will they beat NMCC and Charleston in back to back games in districts. They have talent to get it done but it will come down to how many stops you can get down the stretch of a heated competitive game. We will see.

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 4:06 PM
  • I hope to be at Charleston Friday night. Excited to see Bogan and Mitchell on the court together. Mitchell was injured and missed playing Charleston last year

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 4:09 PM
  • i cant believe gridiron is calling del a ball hog. since when is getting the ball to the best player on the team and letting him go to work a bad thing? whether or not the officiating was one-sided or not, caruthersville simply got out played.. also, the sportsmanship of Monroe when he fouled out represents the caruthersville athletic program well.

-- Posted by ctownbluejay16 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 4:40 PM

Lets not go there ctown16... its not like Charleston is a model of sportsmanship. They're kids, things like that happen sometime.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 4:54 PM
  • True, but when the coach starts yelling back out the student section, that doesn't set a very good example. Just saying.

-- Posted by ctownbluejay16 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 4:58 PM

I respect C-ville. They always have great athletes. Being in the same competitive class, I can say the same for N.M.C.C. also...year in and year out, we have had some battles over decades. Let's keep it fun and enjoyable, guys. I wouldn't want the ted Tigers to act pompous in football, as they do not...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 5:04 PM
  • Man,C'ville loses the game and it was because the ref's called a bad game. Stop whining. Both teams fouled alot. And yes,it was alot of fouls on C'ville in the first half but I have seen the same thing happen to the Jays. The players on C'ville are good but they need to play a little more under control. Mr.Monroe is a man playing against kids.lol I mean that kid got talent and heart. He reminds me of BO JACKSON. To the grid dude,you are some kind of sports fan talking about these players. Calling them names. These kids showed good sportsmanship threw out the entire game. It was a good game and we probably will meet in districts. But my advice to the grid dude is,be careful of what you say about them BLUE JAYS!

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 5:16 PM

I will say the ref's were pretty bad last night but they are not the reason we lost. Charleston played like they are coached to play they don't full court press the entire game they pick certain times to do that and its keeps their legs under them. Tramble who is not our best shooter shot alot of 3's last night for the simple fact that he was open. That really killed us because we had a tough time getting a rebound and the Jays would turn it into points the other way. Once Coach Smith saw how the refs were going to be calling the fouls he should have abandoned the full court pressure and try to play some different half court defensive sets. On offense we probably should have weaved less and fed Monroe more down low. I agree with the schedule that we had compared to Charlestons they definitely have played tougher teams and that only makes your team better and I have been saying that since I saw this years schedule. Teams that you go in and blow out by 30 or points do not get you ready for big match ups.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 6:01 PM
  • Well said beef

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 6:48 PM

Beef and Cheese are the Caruthersville fans that we appreciate. Insightful comments and the ability to be biased yet objective. I look forward to the rematch.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:25 PM

I will say though that the administration at the school should not allow the student section to stand right in the opposing players backsides while they are trying to inbound the ball, I know they are students but they are fans just like the rest of us and we would be kicked out of the gym in no time if we were doing that. It's ok to support your team and do so with as much enthusiasm as possible but there should be certain rules set in place.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:47 PM
  • I have watched a lot of basketball all over the bootheel in the last several years. There aren't a set of fans in any gym who believes and feels that the other team is getting all the calls and their team is taking it in the shorts. It is for the simple fact that fans watch with their hearts and not their eyes.

I just wish everyone who thinks the refs do such a horrible job would call just one JR high game and see how not easy and thankless it is.

BTW I had no dog in the fight last night, my team has lost to both Charleston and C'ville.

-- Posted by Xieta27 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • 80% of the fouls were called in the paint, not the full court. Charleston did an excellent job at attacking the basket. Anybody with just minimun basketball knowledge, knows a team that attacks the basket a lot will get more fouls called on the opposing team. Read Coach Farmers comments in the news paper article.

Coach Smith pulled out of the full court press, ran man, ran a box in one on Bogan, and I believe had one player stick on Bogan like glue when in man, as well as double Bogan on the inbound. It didn't work. If you ask me, we didnt do so well not because we try to press, but more so because we went away from what we do. This is the first team that Coach Smith tried to run special stuff to stop the star player. All other games, he just played straigt up and let the star get their points but not win. He stop everybody else. This game, they were so focus on Bogan, that it allowed other players to step up. At the end of the day, Bogan was good enough to still get to the basket. Half of Bogan points was from the foul line due to getting foul driving to the basket, not getting press in the full court. I think Coach Smith should stick to the formula. Next game, if we stay out of foul trouble, make the Jays an outside team, and play Tiger Basketball - not this junk defense stuff, we will win.

The refs starting calling a ton of touch fouls on Charleston the last four minutes of the game when the Jays had the game out of reach and Cville starters were fouling out. Their goal was to even up the fouls so it didnt look so bad. Half way through the fourth quarter, Cville had 14 fouls called on them and the Jays had 2. The Jays got 8 fouls called on them to Cville 1 in the last four minutes. The refs were without a doubt bias. It was so evident.

Go read the article on Semoball.com. Pay attention to the free throw attempts, amount of fouls and when they were called. Pay attention to what Coach Farmers and Bogans comments were. Coach Farmer knows he ges calls and game plan to take advantage of it.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:12 PM
  • I too was sitting behind the bench with my boy who watches Monroes every move as I do. Monroe did not flip the student section off. Everybody in the gym was watching him walked to the bench when he fouled out. Coach Smith made a production of it by taking a long time to put a sub in. Which he did for all four starters. I guess he was trying to prove a point. I thought it was silly, just sub in the player. Anyways, so many people would have seen it. Monroe is a class act on the football field and basketball court. Very well manner young man. I didnt see it and dont believe it.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:17 PM
  • http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/2046119.html

Read the article

Does Webster score 23 if Monroe is guarding him the entire game?

Charleston shot 42 free throws - Is that a State Record?

Bogan was 8 for 8 from the line in the fourth quarter alone.

How many points does Monroe get if he plays 28+ mins like he normally does?

Charleston basically played one or two of our starters and the bench on the floor after the first quarter.

I like our chances. Dont get me wrong. We need to fix some things. No disrepect intended to the Charleston Players. They played very good and extremely hard. They really had all cyclinders running. We played like crap.

The refs played a great game as well. One way to shut down our high power offense is put our starters on the bench with fouls. Still score over 60 on a great defense, one of the best defense in the state and without our starters getting their minutes. Now thats a plus!

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:34 PM

Smells like teen spirit...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:35 PM
  • To pe-co85 and any other Jay fan that didn't take the time to REALLY read what I posted. I did NOT call any of your kids a name. I said he was a BALL HOG. This is two words that DESCRIBE him. I have no reason to call any of the kids a name, nor would I. Not to mention, to call any of YOU a name, even though one of your fans decided to attack my personal appearance in one of my exchanges on here. Really classy. Anyway, make sure you read and UNDERSTAND my posts before you falsely accuse me of something that I did NOT do. I'm done with this. We lost to a good team. I believe the refs were biased, you all don't. Life goes on. Until we meet again....have a good 'un.

-- Posted by gridiron72 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:41 PM
  • Well there are many who did see Monroe and hear the things he said, and the things his coach said. Whatever, refs refs refs, fouls fouls, refs. Bring on Kennett

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:41 PM

...going back to my college, party days when I was at SEMO: Charleston won...dig Fall Out Boy: Dance, Dance...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:48 PM

...also, Evanescence: Call me when you are sober...and your too late...sick with shame. You can't play the victim this time...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:00 PM

...don't cry to me...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:01 PM

...remember yourself...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:03 PM
  • to address a statement made wayyyy earlier in this thread, Charleston's last home loss was to cape central in 2012. technically, it was to sikeston last year, but that game was moved to the show me center so we didnt lose it at the gym. just thought i'd clear things up :-)

-- Posted by ctownbluejay16 on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 12:02 AM
  • I didn't get a chance to read these comments yesterday. As a lot of you know I cover both the Tigers and the Hayti Indians. I also provide coverage to the rest of Pemiscot County if those teams are not in action. I thought maybe I could clear up a bit of this controversy since I covered the game.

First of all, the Jays earned that win. The refs didn't give it to them. Were there a ton of foul calls? Of course there were, but the fact is the Tigers defense was too aggressive, that coupled with the fact that Charleston was quicker off the dribble and was able to get the ball to the rack and earn foul calls.

Monroe did have a back and forth with the student section. I never saw him flip the bird. There were words exchanged, but nothing I don't see on a regular at many gyms. I have known Darrell for years and covered him for all four of his high school years. He is a standup kid and did nothing out of the ordinary while I was watching.

As far as Del Bogan goes, he is a phenomenal guard. I don't believe he was a ball hog, he was just taking what was given to him like any good player would. He can shoot the ball well and attack the basket off the dribble. He is easily one of the best players I have covered this season.

I'm not saying the Tigers can't come back and win the district because they have the athletes and scorers to make a run, but for now Charleston showed why they have owned this district over the last few years and why they should be the #1 seed and favorite to win it again.

This is all coming from a sportswriter and a Tiger alum. I just state things as I view them.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 8:46 AM
  • Thanks for the honesty Matt, good stuff

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 9:59 AM
  • Just calling it like I see it. I agree that were a lot of fouls called that are easy to disagree with, but I don't think that had much to do with the outcome. Jays played a better game. Hopefully the Tigers will get a rematch at districts because I love covering two talented teams going at it on the hardwood.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 10:11 AM

Carutherville has courted many great teams. Remember Kenyata Isabell? They have great teams, but no state titles. And 90% of the time, the Jays are in the way. :-)

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 2:46 PM
  • I won't call them out by name, but I'd bet the bank a Caruthersville coach is on this thread. It's another reason Coach Farmer and the Jays will keep dominating the Tigers because they work on getting in a stance while Cville is worried what's being said on SEMOball.

-- Posted by indianchief on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 7:57 PM
  • lol I agree with you indianchief--

-- Posted by waveman on Thu, Jan 30, 2014, at 8:42 PM

BasketballRim....I wasn't looking at Monroe when he fouled out so I couldn't say whether he did or whether he didn't flip off the student section. However, I saw where you were sitting and I don't know how you could say, with any certainty, that he absolutely did not flip off the student section; the bench players had their backs to you so what may have happened on Monroe's front side may not have been visible to you. I will say that several of the Charleston folks who say they saw it occur are reputable folks and I would have no reason to doubt what they say.

Again, I wasn't looking that way so I couldn't corroborate anyone's post; if we were in court and I placed you on the stand, I could punch holes in your version of what you say occurred; just being objective in my observation of what has been posted.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 11:32 AM

Hey Indiancheif, If what I heard about the Kennett player is true, Kennett or their fans have no room talking about anyone. Also, last time I checked, Charleston has dominated Kennett just as bad. Dont talk about a dirty house if your house isn't clean, just saying...

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 12:54 PM
  • Cheesehead,

What you heard about Kennett is true. Was I talking about a kid on Caruthersville? Props to Kennett coaching staff on making a decision that benefits the kids who got in trouble and the team that remains. Did I ever even try to compare Kennett to Charleston? It's like trying to compare Caruthersville to Kennett in recent years and to even do that is laughable. Let's just say Charleston has been both our daddies and Kennett has been Caruthersville's step daddy. I actually respect many of your comments, but not sure why you had to go there regarding a kid.

-- Posted by indianchief on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 2:36 PM

Never said anything about a kid. Just stating Caruthersville is not the only team who has kids who make decisions. They're high school kids, it happens. Dont make me out like I'm attacking a kid because its not the case.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 3:15 PM
  • "If what I heard about the Kennett player is true" I believe is what you wrote. I didn't say you were attacking a kid. I will say it's not cool for you to make that comment b/c you obviously wanted to say it. Nothing I said in my post would lead you to make that comment that I can think of. I'm through with this thread. To start one about Charleston and Caruthersville basketball should have never started to start with.

-- Posted by indianchief on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 3:28 PM
  • Kids make bad decisions, happens all too often.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 3:39 PM

You're right. Just having a horrible day. I must have taken it the wrong way. I just get sick of people always attacking Darrell. If its not his grades its his sportsmanship. Its never ending. I do apologize.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 3:51 PM
  • It's cool Cheese. Darrell is a great kid, period. He plays his heart out and there isn't a coach or fan in the area that doesn't wish he was on their team. If they don't, they don't know Darrell Monroe or don't like watching studs perform.

-- Posted by indianchief on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 4:01 PM
  • Cheese,I have always seen Monroe show good sportsmanship. Most of the athletes, with his kind of talent,act disrespectful. Monroe is a pretty good kid. He is always smiling and polite to the refs. He might was a little heated the other night but that's what good athletes do in battle. If he did flipped off one of my Jays fan,so be it. A lesson learned for all. By the way,did anyone see how the players embraced each other after the game. The kids are having fun while the adults act-out.lol

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 4:14 PM
  • Cheese,I have always seen Monroe show good sportsmanship. Most of the athletes, with his kind of talent,act disrespectful. Monroe is a pretty good kid. He is always smiling and polite to the refs. He might was a little heated the other night but that's what good athletes do in battle. If he did flipped off one of my Jays fan,so be it. A lesson learned for all. By the way,did anyone see how the players embraced each other after the game. The kids are having fun while the adults act-out.lol

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Fri, Jan 31, 2014, at 4:53 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: