High School Basketball Forum: What teams should be in the Christmas tourney

Posted by Tigerforlife on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 1:46 PM:

To make tourney more competitive and up tempo they should make a rule and if u don't win a first round game in 15 years u should be kicked out and replaced by a more competitive school like sikeston or Kennet

Replies (40)

Nope!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 1:47 PM
  • No. Next question.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:02 PM
  • Why would Sikeston want to get in this tourney to play Delta and other schools like that for 2 games and then face a team they already face twice. I won't even comment on Kennett they would just be leaving 1 tourney that they shouldn't be in anyways to go to another one that's just as bad as far a competion.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:10 PM
  • No!!!!!! Terrible Idea!!!!

I want to play this game too though:

Who should be allowed to post on Semoball?

To make semoball much more fun and useful to everyone, they should make a rule that if you post about changing teams in the Christmas tourneys (Cape or Bloomfield), post about separating private vs. public schools, including the topic of private schools recruiting, you should be replaced with a much more knowledgable poster and banned from the site for the next 15 years. Now that is a good idea.....

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:34 PM
  • What you're saying is you don't want anyone posting on semoball? Lol

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:36 PM
  • Bigelw, if Kennett shouldn't be in the Bloomfield Tourney, then neither should Dexter or Doniphan. Their enrollment is very similar. Kennett has been in the tourney for over 30 years. Didn't see anyone asking them to get out when they weren't winning.

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:49 PM
  • As bad as I want Sikeston in the SEMO Christmas tournament, I still don't want to see a team dropped from the tournament. If a team decides to drop out on their own, fine but leave both of them the way they are. Even with the blowouts, I still go to the first day of games every year.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:49 PM
  • Most people who complain about teams that makeup tournaments have little idea how disruptive changing schedules can be. All of a sudden, Kennett shouldn't be in a tournament, simply because they've performed well the last few years? Things have a tendency to level out over the years. There were several years when Kennett did not even make it to the championship game. In addition, Dexter had a number of lean years "before and after" their string of 7 consecutive championships!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 2:59 PM
  • After first day it becomes 2 seperate tournys, small school games just as exciting when its back and forth and down to wire, plus nothing more exciting when some of smaller schools upset larger schools or makes it close.

-- Posted by hawk85 on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:01 PM
  • No Team should be dropped. Period.

All present teams are part of the Tradition.

All teams have made runs from time to time.

We all know the Bigger schools are more competitive year in year out.

However, Nothing like watching a small school compete with and sometimes Take Down a big school. The crowds love those games....

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:05 PM
  • do u really want to watch delta get beat by 40 every year

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:14 PM
  • bigelw that is my point we need competitive schools to come play instead of watching delta and Kelly get beat by 40

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:20 PM
  • Yes,

We want to watch Delta play Every Year.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:27 PM

Which team has not won a first round game in the last 15 years? Just curious.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 4:34 PM
  • Just for info sake, here are the winners and how many wins since the inception of the Bloomfield Tourney:

Advance - 3

Bernie - 3

Bloomfield - 3

Dexter - 9

Doniphan - 2

E. Carter Co. - 2

Fisk - 1

Hayti - 1

Holcomb - 1

Kennett - 7

Malden - 6

Matthews - 1

Neelyville - 1

Oran - 1

Poplar Bluff - 1

Portageville - 2

Puxico - 1

Richland - 4

Sikeston - 2

So. Pemiscot - 1

Twin Rivers - 3

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 5:06 PM
  • I agree that Dexter doesn't need to be in either

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 6:24 PM

If you don't like what's on TV change the channel. If you don't want to watch 1st round blow outs don't go. Pretty simple.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 8:58 PM
  • agreed larry

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • We have this argument every year, and why do all the good teams have to go to the SEMO Tournament. Personally I think the Bloomfield Tournament has a better atmosphere.

-- Posted by paulbd on Thu, Dec 26, 2013, at 11:21 PM

I really like that Sikeston gets out of the area during Christmas time. They see the teams that make up four of the top five seeds just about every year (Charleston, Jackson, Cape Central, Notre Dame) in SEMO Conference and SEMO Conference tournament play anyway. The St. Dominic tourney doesn't provide some sort of elite competition but you see some solid Class 4 and 5 teams from another part of the state and get some preparation for what a road playoff game could be called like. I think the St. Dominic folks like that our fans travel up pretty decently as well. Let the small schools have their shot while getting a lot of their athletic budget paid in the SEMO tournament.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 7:49 AM
  • I don't think the any teams should be removed from the SE Christmas Tournament. Its about tradition to alot of these smaller schools to get to play in the Show Me Center in the Christmas Tournament.

Heres an idea:

Have a "A" Division and a "B" Division. The coaches seed the tournament and the top half are in the "A" Division and the bottom half is in the "B" Division. It would lead to interested debate...teams on the bubble, etc. Kind of like making the NCAA vs the NIT tournament.

Heres my reasoning:

First of all, I think small schools have every right to be in the tournament. With that said....the small school gaines nothing from being beat by 40 to 50 points....nor the the winning team gain anything from beating a team by 40 or 50 points. The Coach on both sides does not ganing anything. The fans doesnt gain anything. Ive been on both sides of the coin. Ive seen the faces of the players and felt their pain after being beating down by 50 points. Did your team gain anything that will make them better...no because of the most part your not able to run any type of offense or defense because the other team is so much superior to you. As for the dominate team....the same...for the most part your points will come in transition or very easily in your offensive sets...therefore, you have not gain anything except that feeling of domination a far lesser opponent. The fans dont really get anything out of it either.

Have an "A" and "B" division tournaments within the same tournament. Alternate the games throughout the day. You will have more competitive games. On Championship night...you can have the "B" 3rd place game, then the "A" 3rd place game, then the "B" Championship, then the "A" Championship game...

Give the small schools something to play for other than the experiece of just getting to play in the tournament. Give the fans and parent of these small schools something to root for....

Just an idea......

-- Posted by TIDAL on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 8:35 AM
  • tidal that's fine but scc is a small school so would you put them in pool b or pool a ????? or any small school that was good..

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 8:55 AM

He put in his second paragraph how the tournament would be seeded, not by small and large. So SCC would be put wherever the coaches decide they should go, the same way with a really big school that might not be any good.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 8:59 AM
  • ok I see that buck thanks I should of read better lol. I like the tradition of this tourney and would hate to loose any team in it...a lot of kids never get to play on a college floor and they get to here.so let the games begin today

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:03 AM

Youre welcome haha! Should be some good games today. I hate that either ND or SCC have to leave the tournament this early.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:05 AM
  • that will be a good game I hate to say it but I have nd winning it lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:17 AM

Only way I see Sikeston wanting in the tourney is if half the field was dumped for bigger schools that originated from STL or out of the SEMO area. While a setup like that would eliminate the problem of delta scoring 6 points in a game it would also mean the loss of good teams like Advance, Oran, and even when Bell City gets decent which is basically throwing the baby out with the bath water. I also don't think it would be a great idea to change to mess with the teams in the field since the area is stretched so thin with all the huge Christmas tournaments.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:51 AM
  • Why would you not want a more competitive tourney

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:59 AM
  • Ok, I got it. 4 pools of 4 teams all selected with a Ouija board. The winners of each pool move into a triple elimination bracket while the remaining 12 teams play a round robin style short five minute game. The top 4 teams from that advance to a single elimination tiddlywinks tournament. The winner plays the winner of the triple elimination tournament. The winner of that game plays three teams from the remaining eight chosen by fan vote. If that teams wins all three games, they are the champion. If they lose any of those games, then the champion is determined by a 16 team single elimination tournament seeded by the coaches.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 10:05 AM
  • Hey , I seen where Sikeston had a REAL TOUGH match-up yesterday in that Tour in St.Louis !! LOL

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 10:21 AM

Not saying St. Dominque tournament is a marquee kind of event but it is better depth wise than the SEMO Christmas tournament and has the added benefit of being against teams Sikeston will not play again all year and it is an out of area tournament with STL refs that helps come playoff time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 10:29 AM

Sikeston didn't have a tough matchup it's just that sikeston couldn't buy a shot in the 1st qrt. St. Dominic is a really good despite their 8th seed in their tourney. They should be like a 6 or 7 seed

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 11:19 AM
  • Dr. Phil would have to say to the sportsreporter33, "You just don't get it", do you?"

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 11:25 AM

Sikeston didn't have a tough matchup it's just that sikeston couldn't buy a shot in the 1st qrt. St. Dominic is a really good despite their 8th seed in their tourney. They should be like a 6 or 7 seed

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 12:51 PM
  • Bunk is right about the St.Dominic tourney and NO St. Dominic isn't really good.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 1:39 PM
  • Sikeston is just fine playing in the St Dom Christmas Tourney. I will defer to Coach Holifield, Coach James and the rest of the coaches as to what is best for the program. I'm fairly sure they have earned the "benefit of the doubt."

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 2:48 PM
  • St. Dominic is down this year, but they would STILL be about an 8 seed in the seMissourian Christmas Tournament. So instead of playing a 16 seed that Sikeston would beat 85-4, they played a "second round" type opponent and they did what they were supposed to do, won by 20.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 4:21 PM
  • I couldn't agree more the semo tourney needs to be more competitbe

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 4:51 PM
  • Sorry, thesportsreporter33 hacked my account on that last comment. He's putting lots of junk on here right now

-- Posted by slumdogsports on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 4:53 PM
  • Don't really see Sikeston going to the semo tournament for lack of competition. But I do know that the BCT wants Advance back, and we would give saxony Lutheran as a trade-(hey it's an idea). Caruthersville is supposed to start a tournament next year according to some posters on here and I hope they do-could bring some MORE competition to the area. No disrespect to any teams but lets face it Jackson, ND, cape central, charleston, and scc rule the semo tournament. Hard to find a year they ALL don't take something home. Only 8 trophies and really only 3 to hope for. As for Bloomfield, they have more level teams as far as competition; no they don't have the talent most years, but we have 1-2 teams that could play 2-3 of the 5 teams I listed from the semo tournament.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Dec 27, 2013, at 9:45 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: