High School Basketball Forum: columbia Snow

Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 2:29 AM:

Need better weather soon. 20 inches in 5 days. Luck has to be on our side? Right

Replies (19)

When I transferred to Mizzou back in the day, I was used to those 3-4 snows we had in the SEMO area; a large snow would be around 6 inches. One Sunday evening, I heard the forecast for snow; the next morning, 18" of snow on the ground. Could't move my car for several days. They closed Mizzou on that Monday; heard it was the first time that had ever been done.

Hate CoMo winters; I'm a southern boy.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 6:18 AM
  • Why would you post this in the SEMissourian?? This is Southeast Missouri not COMO.. lol

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 8:26 AM
  • Nimbus is probably from Southeast Missouri and still follows our area.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:00 AM
  • Plus, i love snow!! Nimbus is always welcome with snow reports!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:04 AM

Yeah when I was there we never had the misfortune of a severe snow. I just remember having to walk from Providence(Where I lived) to a class that was in a building literally on College Avenue( I think thats the street) in light snow or worse pouring rain.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:34 AM
  • Same here bunk, no blizzards when i was there, u'd think in four years there woulda been one good one but it wasnt meant to be.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:41 AM
  • And by the way mazoo was closed last friday and this past tuesday, pretty rare i would guess!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:43 AM

I'm from Dexter. Love SEMO basketball.

Birdfan, that must have been the 1996 thundersnow event. That narrow band of snow became the case study basis of one of the most important meteorological papers written.

Baseball series against Northwestern this weekend has been cancelled. Another inch of snow expected Thursday night and Friday.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 9:59 AM

footballfan29,

The goal of all the teams is to make it to Columbia. So, continued bad weather here would become pretty pertinent.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 10:02 AM
  • Yah nimbus last thurs my daughter at mazoo called all excited about the thunder and lightning during the blizzard!! I was jealous, nothing better than thundersnow!! Whats amazing is that they actually predicted the thundersnow a day in advance!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 10:12 AM
  • I hate snow! Lol... I was stationed in the mountains for 6 years so I have seen enough snow to last me a lifetime!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 11:19 AM

no, nimbus....much earlier than that...try the spring of '75 lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Birdfan,

Okay. LOL. Didn't know about that one.

10 inches in 4-5 hours with the thundersnow for the duration WAS cool, unless you caught out in it. I wrote my Master's thesis on the climatology and dynamics of thundersnow. http://weather.missouri.edu/ROCS/pub/Halcomb-thesis.pdf

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:09 PM
  • Haha how cool is that!!

I actually took two meteorology classes as electives just in case i wanted a weather career.

I shouldve made my name "cirrus" insteada "cirith" haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:28 PM

Cirith, your name a reference to Tolkien and Lord of the Rings?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:30 PM
  • And didnt you get close to twenty inches two winters ago with that incredible hurricane low that howled thru central mo?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:33 PM
  • U are correct yah-yah!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:34 PM

Yes,we did. 14-20 inches in Columbia. Up to 30 inches to our west and north. The university was closed for 3 or 4 days.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:49 PM

So, in the last 3 winters, the university has been closed 6 1/2 days. Closing the university used to be very rare, but the events have been that bad.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Feb 28, 2013, at 1:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: