High School Basketball Forum: Unofficial Small School Power Rankings for 2/3/13

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 4:53 AM:

As another week of hoops action in the area winds down and January fades out, teams are starting to put more of an emphasis on the upcoming district tournament. With only 2 weeks left before the start of the postseason and many seed meetings coming up within the next week, every team is trying to be at full potential come playoff time. We had some interesting games within the rankings this week, stirring things up a little bit. Without further notice, here they are:

1. Leopold

2. Bernie

3. Oran

4. Advance

5. Holcomb

6. Portageville

7. Hayti

8. South Pemiscot

9. Chaffee

10. St. Vincent

Bubble: SCC, Oak Ridge, Bloomfield/Puxico

*I for the life of me could not find a score Friday between Bloomfield/Puxico. Whoever won that game deserves the spot.

Replies (24)

• Nice looking list! Think you've got it right on Charlie!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 9:59 AM

Uncle,Glad you take the time to do a small school list.I don't think St.Vincent belongs haven't done enough IMO i also think bernie would beat Leopold and was very impressed with Portageville in the semi's against Kennett!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 11:04 AM
  • Bloomfield beat Puxico 67-62.

-- Posted by bjrosener on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 11:16 AM
  • Well if you look at it as a Power Rankings (how you're playing now) Can't say Oak Ridge had a good week, St. Vincent had a win against Windsor and then a 2 Point loss to St Pius who would easily sit at 5/6 on that list

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:51 PM

OK,I understand but oak ridge beat them by 20 head to head!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 1:06 PM
  • Out of 2-5-6-7-8 Any of them could win that District. Thats a fact!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 1:25 PM
  • Lets hope it's #2

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 1:27 PM
  • yes yeager! I do believe weare the best team but the best team does not always win.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 1:40 PM
  • I think as time moves on we are going to see certain teams prevail because of a tougher road that has been taken in both Class 1 and 2. I really wish Leopold could have played tougher opponents this year. I realize they can only play the teams that are in front of them. I still not 100% convinced that Scott Central won't win that district because of the fact that it's being played at Scott Central. I don't think Leopold's schedule has prepared them enough. Yes, Scott Central is struggling, but there's no comparison to the two schedules that have been played. Playing at home, in a district tournament will provide them with a ton of energy. If they get rolling at the right time, they could win that district. But I also think Leopold could win it obviously. Personally i'd like to see Leopold win it. Scott Central has won enough. ha

It's getting close to district time. Leopold played Meadow Heights thursday, Oran played Bell City friday, Bernie played Notre Dame friday, Holcomb played Scott Central on friday. I think strength or schedule may play a factor as time winds down. Portageville is also playing much better. Hayti, well it just depends on whether or not they want to play, they have all the tools. In class 1 out west Eminence and South Iron are battle tested as they both play tough schedules. Time will tell.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 2:48 PM
  • Look at the NBA power rankings, the Heat do not sit at number one all year, even though most are gonna pick them as the top team. Point being if you lose to MH you can drop in a week, do I think that Oak Ridge consistently not in there? No. But in a power rankings, I can see what Unc is doing

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 2:56 PM
  • I don't have any problems with his rankings. I'm just offering up my own opinions. That's what keeps people coming back to this forum.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 2:57 PM
  • Let me clarify further. I haven nothing against Leopold. They played ND real tough back at Christmas. They have played Oran and Advance. Those are 3 good teams. I think the problem is they have had so many easy victories this year. It's just hard to rise up in a tight game when you have not been pushed night in and night out. That's all I mean. I honestly hope they win if for no other reason than because freaking Scott Central wins every year and it would be nice to see Leopold win that first district title in school history.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 3:07 PM
  • I personally believe in strength of schedule benefitting teams in playoffs with that being said bernie plays sikeston for their last regular seaon game what if any other class 2 teams have played sikeston? Also I would really love to see leopold and oran teams in action. I havent got the chance to see either team but from what i've read both are very good, and how big is leopold heard they are very tall for class 1

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 3:14 PM
  • Looks Good. Leopold and Bernie are Toss Ups for #1. Great Job.

I am rooting for all Area Teams to make deep runs in the Playoffs.

Good Luck to All!

-- Posted by Ramfan#1 on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 4:49 PM
  • Portageville always plays Charleston near the end of the season as well. I'm personally kind of shocked that the #3 ranked Oran struggled with a team that will be seeded below teams 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 come districts.

-- Posted by paulbd on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 9:34 PM
  • paulbd,

No need to be shocked. All teams have good nights and bad nights.

How bad did Holcomb lose last week? Bad Night???

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 9:57 PM
  • Troll..

Not much to say about the game except a good team wins even when they play bad and Oran won tonight.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 12:25 AM
  • Realbootheel,

Leopold is centrally located in the town of Leopold.

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 10:37 AM
  • It is one of the four schools in Bollinger County. It has maybe 80 kids in high school.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 12:51 PM
  • 65 kids to be exact

-- Posted by mm81 on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 12:56 PM

We had a huge graduating class in 1972 - 21 seniors! I think that was the record

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 1:33 PM
  • The Strong teams Leopold has produced lately is amazing, especially with that enrollment.

Southeast Missouri is rooting for you guys come Districts and State!

Goodluck!

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 4:57 PM
  • Same goes for the rest of the teams on this list.

Good Luck to all!

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Feb 10, 2013, at 7:17 PM
  • Will there be another state poll come out this week for all class schools?

-- Posted by twilightzone on Sun, Feb 10, 2013, at 8:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: