High School Basketball Forum: Bunk's SHS vs CHS match up analysis: 4 PF

Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 11:36 PM:

Since there the Sikeston- Charleston rematch will be upon on us shortly I have decided to take a closer look at the individual players for each team and try and attempt to identify their skill set and how those skill sets will match up against one another. I will be using a light blend of statistical analysis, my own opinion from watching each team play several times, and the results of these two teams previous encounter in my decision about which wins the match up. For full disclosure purposes I am a Sikeston graduate and a Sikeston fan but I have followed the Charleston boys closely for years as the program has regained it's former glory, which has made me a fan of the Jays as well. These posts are as unbiased as possible and are not meant to unfairly critique anyone but merely reveal the strategic differences in each player's game. Sikeston stats were provided through fellow semoball contributors and checked by Standard Democrat articles on the games. Charleston stats were provided by Maxpreps( although Maxpreps has CHS record of 18-2 correct they only have 16 game stats instead of 21 so averages are determined based on this amount of game stats reported).

Our penultimate match up: Reese Porter vs Darrion Carter

Reese Porter

PPG: 10 FG%: 66% RPG: 6.4 TO per game: 1 SPG: 1.9 FT%: 50%

Darrion Carter

PPG: 13.6 FG%: 64% RPG: 6.2 TO per game: 1.5 SPG: .9 FT%: 61%

This is where the decisions start getting tough folks. Each team has two well developed low post players who play well together as a unit. Generally it is harder to distinguish significant statistical differences about the big boys down low at the HS level due to the lack of available stats and other advanced measures. This means we have to rely a little bit more on the eye test than usual but it shouldn't be to bad.

First off let's discuss Sikeston's junior Reese' Pieces Porter. Porter is obviously the fourth Sikeston player who averages double figures in scoring. He is a capable reliable scorer in the low post against smaller, same sized, and slightly bigger defenders. Reese accomplishes this by remaining active and utilizing his speed and body control to get around these players instead of through them. He does struggle scoring in the traditional sense against bigger players with talent and athleticism that can match his(see MRH game), but he more often than not finds ways to score such as offensive rebounds and out in bound situations. He also passes well in the high low and across the block situtaions.The one flaw to Reese's game is that he struggles when in foul trouble like so many other big men in the area.

Now this is where things get sticky. I have seen Charleston play a few times this year( 4 in person) and he never stands out to me on either the offensive or defensive end. Focusing on the offensive saying it is worth noting that the games I have seen live have been when he faces above average sized guys with talent( Ex. SHS v CHS I 10pt 5 reb and CHS vs Cape 11 pt. 3 reb). I looked at other games with the same big man qualifier such as Oran( 10pt 7reb) and Jackson( 1st game opts and 4 reb) and the trend continues. However there are other games such as the loss to Dyer county that he performed well despite excellent competition. I say all this to say that he is at best a good PF who struggles at times to rebound and score against quality competition consistently or he had a bad case of the flu during the Christmas tourney. It's really hard to say either way at this point because it is hard to see how CHS runs with big guys in the half court because of their tendency to run so much. Carter does however average 13.6 points which means he is doing something right besides a few tip ins and gift baskets given by Parham and Bogan.

On the defensive end I can state much more securely how a feel about both players. Reese sticks to his zone and plays with great energy which leads to steals and rebounds for him. Reese also doesn't foul a lot so that always a positive with the bigs. Reese does have some shot blocking ability but it isn't doesn't separate him from Carter or any of the other noteworthy bigs in SEMO( he average s about 1 game same as Carter). His defense more than respectable though and shouldn't be taken lightly. He excels in the post no matter the size of the man he is facing and closes out well. Carter is what I would call an average defender. He is probable the least effective defender on CHS on most nights which is no disrespect on a team full of quality defenders. Carter will get you your defensive boards and plays well against the smaller guys and some similar sized guys he faces, but I am not impressed when he faces big men who have developed post games. He does not consistently hold up against these kind of guys on a consistent basis so I'm giving the defensive check to Porter.

Last word on these two while I think Reese may have a better game Thursday more than likely you can never be sure when a guy averages 13.6 points a game if he is going to go off. Despite the distance between them defensively Carter has 8 15+ point games so........(seriously tightest match up so far)

Darrion Carter

Replies (24)

You're always thinking about me. It's kinda stalkerish.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:51 AM
  • Isn't it ironic....good song.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 8:06 AM

Papi for one I didn't go with my gut and I picked Carter because he averages more points per game than Reese and all their other stats are about even. Two this is an analysis of this season's performance not last years and i understand he was very good last year seemed to play with more energy in the very few games I got to see. I stated what I saw when I watched him play that he wasn't a stand out like the other 4 on CHS or Del and Robert Bogan for that matter and I was honest about how much I have seen him play so what do you want???

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 8:10 AM

Wait wait is this the same Bunk who a) agreed the Bogans were good bench players and Charleston still has a shot tonight despite Hull's injury and b) agreed with you that a high level of defense must be played in order for them to win. I believe you are the one who doesn't agree with most people and when you don't agree instead stating your point and countering other people's points( this so good whining) you belittle or threaten them. If have a more complex opinion then dude is skilled and big please enlighten us. I'm just trying to add some statistical evidence for my opinions

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 8:16 AM

Yes this that one time that I will agree and say we will see tonight. By the way in HS for the most part there aren't centers so everyone down low plays the 4. Everyone plays a PF game.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 9:18 AM
  • Calm down tupac, at least bunk took the time to create this analysis. Stats are meant to be debated over and bunk gas taken the time to form a reasonable opinion. Thats what this forum is all about. Sorry about hull by the way, but i agree the jays will be inspired to play a strong game in the absence of their leading scorer.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 9:54 AM
  • What's wrong with Hull?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:59 AM
  • Bum foot

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:01 PM
  • Out?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:02 PM

Supposedly

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:04 PM

I won't believe Hull is out till I see him on the bench in sweats but yeah word is a broken foot or broken toe.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:08 PM
  • Same here. Hard to believe he would sit this game out unless he's hurt pretty bad!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:17 PM
  • Hull is out 100%. Just got word from a good source!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:55 PM

Big Papi is more like a Heavy D rather than a Tupac haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 1:33 PM
  • Hey me n my posse keep up with all the gangsta melodies!! Would u prefer i call u vanilla ice?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:10 PM

Yeah, folks....this is no gimmick....Hull has a broken bone in his foot and is on crutches; just hope he makes it back by districts

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:17 PM
  • Wish Hull was playing, so both Teams could be at full strength.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:38 PM

Agree with reddirt. Charleston still has depth and will be a force, regardless.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:41 PM
  • Definitely want C-town at full strength. Wouldn't want it any other way. But they have plenty of depth and Sikeston will need its 'A' game regardless.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:43 PM
  • No doubt Sikeston will still have to bring it's A-game, as C-town still has plenty of Athletes to get the job done.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:47 PM

Haha just messin with ya brotha! I gotta dish it out now and then.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 3:00 PM
  • Without Hull I like Sikeston by 14

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 3:11 PM

Visual on Hull. He is in a cast, not a boot.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:23 PM
  • thats bad for ctown if hull is in a cast, he is a heck of a ballplayer prolly ctowns best player this year...... still it should be a great game good luck to both teams,and may the crying begin on the losing team from the fans hahahahahaahah

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 7:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: