High School Basketball Forum: Key Games (Jan. 21-25)

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 11:50 PM:

We're back with another week of exciting match-up's, fierce rivalries, and big conference games. The only conference tournament this week is the Stoddard County Athletic Association (SCAA) Tournament in Bloomfield, but I couldn't find the brackets or info anywhere. So I don't know if the varsity or JV plays Monday or Tuesday or some combination. If anyone out there has the schedule please post it below. I do know the semi-finals are Thursday and the finals are on Friday.

As always, please feel free to post any key games you feel I've overlooked. I also invite you to post any predictions, analysis, scores and to debate game results (in a civil manner, of course). Unless otherwise noted, all games begin at 6:00 p.m.

Let me thank all those who take the time to read and comment on this weekly thread, esp. those who correct my mistakes along the way. BuckMajor is using this thread as the basis of his weekly Hoops PickEm and that is a great honor and should be a lot of fun.

Now on to this week's slate of Key Games!

Tuesday, Jan. 22:

1. Jackson at Sikeston.

2. Charleston at Caruthersville.

3. Chaffee at Leopold.

4. Neelyville at Hayti.

5. Holcomb at Malden.

6. Perryville at Cape Central.

7. Twin Rivers at Kennett.

8. Oak Ridge at Oran.

9. Farmington at Poplar Bluff.

10.Risco at Gideon.

11.Cairo, IL at Scott County Central.

12.Saxony Lutheran at Scott City.

Thursday, Jan. 24:

1. #1 Bernie vs. #4 Bloomfield/#5 Puxico, SCAA Tournament Semi-Finals (probable game), Bloomfield High School.

2. #2 Dexter vs. #3 Advance, SCAA Tournament Semi-Finals (probable game), Bloomfield High School.

3. Risco at Senath-Hornersville.

4. Scott City at South Pemiscot.

Friday, Jan. 25:

1. SCAA Tournament 3rd Place Game, Bloomfield High School, 5:30 p.m.

2. SCAA Tournament Championship, Bloomfield High School, 8:30 p.m.

3. Charleston at Kennett.

4. Scott County Central at Chaffee.

5. Caruthersville at Sikeston.

6. Leopold at Oran.

7. NMCC at Portageville.

8. Poplar Bluff at Cape Central.

9. Clarkton at Holcomb.

10.Notre Dame at Jackson.

11.Clearwater at Greenville.

12.Doniphan at Malden.

13.Fredericktown at Park Hills Central.

Replies (419)

• SCAA for today:

Jv- Bloomfield vs Woodland @ 5:30

Varsity-Dexter vs Woodland @ 7:00

Varsity-Advance vs Richland @ 8:30

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 7:56 AM
  • SCAA tournament bracket is available on Bernie school web page, front page.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 8:01 AM

Thanks for listing these very helpfull looks like there could be some very good games this week.Thanks BBfanatic for the help on SCAA games today.

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 11:06 AM
  • Thanks for the update on the SCAA, BBFanatic. And appreciate the kind words porchswing.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 11:29 AM
  • porchswing/Preach:

Your very welcome. The Bernie Jv got first round bye and thats why they dont play till thursday. there are only 7 teams.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 11:43 AM
  • Jackson at Sikeston could be interesting tomorrow night, after Sikeston's close win last week.

I just feel like it is a bad matchup for Jackson and their style.

Should shed some light on the speed versus size debate.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:54 PM

I agree with that dadscatfood! Jackson has the size over Sikeston, but will they be able to stop Sikeston's perimeter play and stop Ruffin!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 4:58 PM
  • I hope the kennett vs charleston game is as exciting as the sikeston game was. Kennett showed they are capable of playing with them, they just need to do it again.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 5:25 PM
  • Saxony doesn't play Scott city this week. They play Kelly at Kelly on the Tuesday. They play Scott city the next week

-- Posted by crusader on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 5:43 PM
  • Saxony doesn't play Scott city this week. They play Kelly at Kelly on the Tuesday. They play Scott city the next week

-- Posted by crusader on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 5:43 PM
  • You're right crusader. I got a week ahead of myself! Sorry about that.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 5:58 PM
  • Dexter 43 Woodland 11 Half

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 7:27 PM
  • Dexter 63 - 31 Final

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • I heard Bloomfield jv only beat woodland by 2. Are the scaa jv teams close/even or was someone under/overrated?

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 8:09 PM
  • semolian, it's jv basketball. Seeds matter little when it comes to this. Throw the seeds out the window at the jv level.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 8:14 PM
  • Portageville 71 Gideon 50 Final

-- Posted by paulbd on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 8:41 PM
  • The Senath-Hornersville varsity girls defeated Hayti 67-57.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 9:55 PM

semolian i watched that j.v.game and woodland was shooting to win that game at the 5 seconds mark and that was a 6 vs 3.And i watched the BRLT tourney finals saturday night and the 4 seed S.I.rolled over clearwater 53-19 the 2 seed up there so i think jwhitlock has it right on j.v. seeds!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:04 PM
  • Anybody have a final on the Advance-Richland game? Richland gave them a pretty good game the last time they played.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:22 PM
  • Advance 82 Richland 38

-- Posted by hornetsfan on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:24 PM
  • Well, not this time I guess! I really like Advance's chances to win the SCAA Tournament this year.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:29 PM

Preach i agree with you i saw dexter for the first time tonight i think advance is better and i watched that advance bernie game and we all know what happened there.If advance can get some scoring from their guards they are going to be tough!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • I think I share Preacher Man's thoughts. But one has to admire the way Dexter is playing right now.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Jan 21, 2013, at 11:30 PM
  • Hey preach it's alright. Neither team has a extremely glorious record but saxony has been playing great ball lately. You have a prediction on the outcome of them this week? They got Kelly tonight at Kelly and E.P at Saxony on thursday

-- Posted by crusader on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:29 AM
  • crusader, if they don't go 2-0 this week they should be considered irrelevant in districts

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:08 AM
  • Dexter is playing alot better and advance will see that come thursday night.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:21 AM
  • crusader, I think Saxony will win both those games pretty comfortably. Neither team will have an answer for Lake inside.

I agree that Dexter is playing better, but they looked pretty bad against NMCC last Friday night. On a neutral court, it will be a closer game, but I still think Advance will win by 10 points.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:19 AM
  • Agree Preacher. Dexter is playing better, but that may be due to the fact their schedule has got considerably less difficult. Another thing you have to wonder about is sickness when analyzing these games this week. Flu is running rampant....you have to wonder if kids being out sick or playing sick are gonna affect games this week.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:07 AM
  • SCAA Today:

Jv- 4pm Dexter vs Bell City

Jv- 5:30pm Puxico vs Advance

Varsity - 7pm Bernie vs Bell City

Varsity - 8:30pm Bloomfield vs Puxico

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 3:22 PM
  • Thanks again BBFanatic for posting the schedule for the SCAA.

I also saw that the Dexter Lady Bearcats are scheduled to play St. Joseph's Academy at a shoot-out in Charleston on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. St. Joe's is ranked #1 in Class 5 so that will be the Lady Cats's biggest challenge of the season. Our leading scorer Brittany Harris is questionable for that game also.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 4:14 PM
  • That was a pretty rude comment sportsnerd

I agree preach hopefully the entire bench will get some great play time. They have some big men on their bench who look like they could be deadly

-- Posted by crusader on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 5:03 PM
  • Preacher Ive seen St Joe, really good ballclub, havent seen the Dexter girls but have heard good things, good luck.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:11 PM
  • Also can someone provide link to Sikeston game plaese? Also is anyone else getting really bad vibes on the state of Mizzou basketball, not just the Haith deal, but this team isnt real good.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:14 PM

semoespn.com will give you the Sikeston game Scott.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:18 PM
  • Appreciate it sir.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:28 PM

No problem my friend. Specifically on that page, look under the Listen Live tab for 92.9 FM which will come on with Kelly Campbell broadcasting probably about five to ten minutes before the game will start.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:34 PM

Not a Mizzou fan at all, but I am a Frank Haith fan, because I like Miami. But Miami is ranked 25th, Mizzou 22nd, so I think The U is doing fine without him. Scott, how do you think they will do against South Carolina tonight!? I also think Frank Martin is a better coach than Frank Haith, that could be a factor.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:38 PM
  • Right on Im really interested in seeing how Sikeston plays tonight, Im having a hard time figuring this club out, they obviously are very good but I think they could be great and everytime I think that they sort of, I wouldnt say dont show up but are kind of just blah in some games .

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:38 PM

Sikeston is a team built to win a lot of games but not to win in blowout fashion too often. I'm not sure why but the guys are keeping the focus one game at a time and everything is good with the team so I'm not overly concerned. In regards to Mizzou, everything I am hearing from some semi-inside sources is that Haith's days are numbered and he is probably gone if he gets slapped with that show cause or whatever it is called that got Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl. Apparently, Andy Kennedy of my Ole Miss Rebels and Martin of South Carolina are amongst the names getting thrown around but I'm not sure Mizzou fans and administration realize that their school is not quite the destination they think it is as can be noted by the lead up to hiring Haith after Anderson left. It'll be an interesting thing to watch.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:45 PM

Mizzou is 0-11 from 3 land so far, ewww.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:46 PM
  • its going to be a close game with a Missouri win, Im telling you in the last handful of games Haith doesn't look right to me, that debacle in Gainesville, was one of the worst coaching performances Ive seen, also Phil Pressey is probably the most overrated player in country, SEC player of the year, please. Cant shoot, turns ball over way too much.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:48 PM
  • Good stuff Sideline, I will say this I said last year when Anderson left good riddance he is a terrible coach, and Im also hearing from a few buddys in fayetteville, that his image is already soured down there. The brand of ball he plays isnt going to work.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:50 PM
  • Ill tell you who needs to go is Mike Alden, that guy is flat awful at his job.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:51 PM

Haith just doesn't seem to know what to do with his personnel since he lost Bowers. The lack of consistent shooters on the team doesn't help either.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:51 PM

SC 35 Mizzou 27 at half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:54 PM

He also seemed to get a bit more credit than he deserved for having such an experienced team last year with great chemistry that also was able to play better since it wasn't being forced into the "40 minutes of gimmicky basketball" system.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:55 PM
  • Yea as we type this just rolled into the house here, and Mizzou down by 8 at half, Im telling you this coach is finished and he knows it, the loss of Bowers hurts alot, but that doesnt excuse the execution of this team, once again Phil Pressey imo isnt real good.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 6:55 PM

And he is in serious contention for the Nasmith college player of the year award, SMH wow!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:01 PM
  • Tonight's game is a must win for Mizzou and Haith. He needs to figure something out...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:01 PM

Nerlens Noel leads the nation in blocks, and is second in the nation in rebounds and steals, that's pretty impressive. That's more of an SEC player of the year than Pressey. Although I don't see him winning that award, but I do see him winning SEC freshman of the year award.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:05 PM

Cville JV over Charleston 73-48

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:07 PM

Murphy Holloway of Ole Miss leads the SEC (and I guess nation if you are right Buck?) with 10.6 rebounds to go with 15.8 points per game. I'd say he is putting himself into the conversation for Player of the Year though he probably won't win it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:09 PM
  • Cheese..... Can you keep us updated on the varsity game please?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:10 PM

The Sikeston feed is live in case anyone was interested.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:12 PM

Sure. A long as my phone holds up. Battery at 30% lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:12 PM
  • Holcomb/Malden are about to be underway, but Holcomb will be without the services of starting guard #23 Ryan Reeves due to medical reasons.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:14 PM

Yes I believe Holloway leads the nation in that category. You never know, he could! Ole miss is certainly playing well so far this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:14 PM

Couldn't make it down, cheesehead; relapse of the flu...hit harder this time

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:16 PM
  • Phil Pressey isnt the player of the year on Missouri, Bowers would be. 13 point lead, Mizzou is melting down.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:16 PM
  • I'm live scoring the Sikeston Jackson game on at Maxpreps.com if any is interested.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:17 PM

If Mizzou gets beat by South Carolina tonight especially at home, that may just move them from being a tournament lock to being on the bubble. As an Ole Miss fan that has seen a lot of those inexplicable losses like that over the last few years, I know it would be a resume killer. The committee doesn't look at the game and see who did or didn't play in that game or how it went down. All they see is the result.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:21 PM
  • Risco 40 Gideon 23 at half

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:24 PM
  • Ok, I'm watching the Sikeston game on SPS-TV...it's JT who throws up the 28 ft 3's in the games I've watched.

And my oh my are the refs letting these teams play.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:30 PM

JT likes to throw up the 3 more than he probably should.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:31 PM
  • Right now Jackson seems to be doing an ok job of handling the pressure, and Sikeston doesn't look like anything special....but I'm willing to bet all this back and forth is going to catch up with Jackson.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:32 PM

JT also shoots 40% from 3 though so I guess you can't blame him too much.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • Heck, I could handle if he even shot them from a respectable range. But good grief, he looks like he's in one of those halftime shootouts.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:33 PM

Charleston up after 1st. 26-16

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:34 PM
  • Lol good point.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:34 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys lead Twin Rivers 13-5 at the end of the first quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:34 PM
  • C'ville 16 C'town 26

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:35 PM
  • Holcomb up 17-8 over Malden after 1.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:35 PM
  • Jackson up 12-10. Vashawn hit a ridiculous 3 to end the first quarter. Jackson's size does look to be working to their advantage a little at this point.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:37 PM

Jackson leads Sikeston 12-10 after one quarter. Ruffin with a buzzer beater from the corner.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:37 PM

Rough 1st quarter for the dogs tonight, but Vashawn looks to be hitting his stride.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:38 PM

The height has definitely hurt Sikeston and we have just sounded really sloppy overall. We'll clean it up.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:38 PM
  • Little sloppy by both teams. Already been a couple Jackson turnovers when they were all but unguarded.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:40 PM

Yeah, sounds like Jackson is returning the favor in the sloppiness department so far in the second.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:41 PM

Sikeston up 19-13 early in the second. Timeout Jackson. Ruffin already with ten apparently.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:42 PM
  • 12-5 run by Sikeston. They're shooting pretty well right now.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:43 PM

1st quarter Pville 23 North Pem 7

-- Posted by Soggy Bottom Boy on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:43 PM

Sikeston leads 24-15 with 5:00 to go in the second. Timeout Jackson. Ruffin already with 14.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:43 PM

It looks as though Sikeston is starting to run down the Indians but King is playing hard and matching Ruffian bucket to bucket

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:47 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys lead Twin Rivers 20-15 at halftime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:47 PM
  • I feel like Sikeston looks a lot better, but Jackson is just quietly hanging in there. Sikeston's defense just doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot to bother Jackson.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:47 PM
  • Sikeston up 36-28. Jackson needs a break.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:50 PM

36-28 Sikeston at half

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:50 PM

Sikeston leads Jackson 36-28 at the half. Vashawn Ruffin with 17 points. JT Jones surprisingly has 0.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:51 PM
  • Holcomb up 33-17 over Malden at half

Massey with 18 and Glover with 10 to lead Holcomb.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • Jones will score big in the second half.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:52 PM

Oran leads Oak Ridge at half 45-14. OR only has 3 FG's so far.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:57 PM
  • C'ville 35 C'town 52

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:57 PM

King, Reynolds, and Leuders have 25 of Jackson's 28 points with 10, 9, and 6 respectively. McDowell has the other 3 points.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:58 PM
  • Im not sure Jones willscore big in second half, this Jackson team is the kind of team that can shut Jones down, but definetly cannot shut the guard play down.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:59 PM

Halftime Pville 51 North Pem 19

-- Posted by Soggy Bottom Boy on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 7:59 PM

What we need is Vashawn, Markeith, and the guards to continue to score big. JT and Reese will get their points as Jackson's big continue to tire out. They just cannot rely on second chance opportunities to get their points as offensive rebounds will be few and far between.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:00 PM
  • He's going to have to do it from outside if he's going to score big. I'd have to agree with stlscott. Very little of Sikeston's scoring has been in the paint (as far as I can tell). Lots of jump shots (which have went in at a pretty good clip).

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:00 PM

big men*

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:01 PM
  • 79-59 risco

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:02 PM

Sikeston leads 43-30 after a five point flurry by Bratcher early in the third. Timeout Jackson.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • Bratcher having a great night!

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:05 PM

JT Jones is now starting to light it up. 47-33 Sikeston mid way through the 3rd

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:07 PM
  • Bernie 86 b city 59

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:10 PM
  • Wondering what was going on with kennett, herd Mitchell and primer were out for the game. So mostly freshmen for knnt tonight

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:11 PM

Sikeston leads 52-39 late in the third. Bratcher heating up with 14 points now. Timeout Sikeston.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:12 PM
  • 1:37 left in the 3rd. Sikeston up 52-39.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:12 PM

Mizzou looks to have pulled that disaster of a game out with a W somehow.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:13 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys lead Twin Rivers 35-32 at the end of the third quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:13 PM
  • 50-28 Holcomb after 3

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:15 PM
  • Who's the kids with dreads, he's either #10 or 11. He's kind of sneaky lol.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:16 PM

Sikeston leads Jackson by fifteen after three. Radio guy didn't say the score.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:16 PM
  • 54-39 Sikeston after 3.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:16 PM

That is probably Kyland Gross if I were to guess, Farm. I can't remember his number but he's gotten going in the second half a bit.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:17 PM
  • The kid with dreads is Kyland Gross. He's number 12.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:17 PM

It is I...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:17 PM

...75-80 degrees here in L.A./SoCal today...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:18 PM

How are the Jays doing?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:19 PM

3rd quarter Pville 79 North Pem 28

-- Posted by Soggy Bottom Boy on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:19 PM
  • First technical I've seen called on Sikeston in a loooong time. And the only one I can recall that wasn't for something silly like staying on the rim too long after a dunk.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:20 PM

Yeah, Sikeston has to maintain their composure. Both the tech and the foul on the 3 were silly fouls.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:21 PM
  • Jackson has pulled to within 9. Going to take a lot of energy to come back though, and they don't look like they have it.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:22 PM
  • C'ville 56 C'town 82

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:22 PM

Sikeston leads 59-45 with about 5:30 or so to go. Jackson is down to one timeout I believe.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:24 PM

Cool. Is that a final, silentplayer?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:25 PM
  • 43-41 knnt 1:18 left in game

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:27 PM

Porter is just taking advantage of the tired Jackson bigs inside at this point.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:27 PM
  • 65-52 Sikeston with about 3 minutes left.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:28 PM
  • 43-43 16 seconds left

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:29 PM
  • 67-42 final Holcomb over Malden.

Massey led all scorers with 32.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Overtime

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:31 PM

Oran defeats the 'KRidge 73-43.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:31 PM

Sikeston leads Jackson 68-56 with 2:05 to go. Jackson is out of timeouts.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:32 PM

Who is K-town playing tonight?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • C'ville 68 C'town 104

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • That's what happens when top three players are out if you include drake and I do

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:33 PM

Charleston 104 Caruthersville 68

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys and Twin Rivers head to overtime tied at 43.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:35 PM
  • How many games has C'ville played in that either team or both have hit triple digits?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:36 PM
  • Cape central perryville score

-- Posted by Capecentral on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:36 PM

Just 3. South Pem in 3 OT, Dyer County, and Charleston.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • Portageville 91 North Pem 33 Final

-- Posted by paulbd on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • 51-48 Twin Rivers. 1:13 left in first overtime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • 51-48 twin rivers 1:13 left in ot

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Who is missing from Kennett?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM

Sikeston is shooting free throws and Jackson is jacking up threes. Sikeston is going to win. It may just take longer than it should.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM
  • Sikeston wins 77-65

Jackson had to have at least 8 threes tonight.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM
  • Seems like more than that for some reason.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM

Sikeston defeats Jackson 77-65.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM

GO JAYS!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:39 PM

Nope. That's all that I can recall. I've seen or listened to all the games this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:40 PM
  • Holcomb 67 Malden 42

-- Posted by No sir on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:45 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Twin Rivers varsity boys defeated Kennett 54-53 in overtime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:46 PM
  • 54-53 TR wins in OT, good game for the royals

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:46 PM
  • I was honestly going to say I liked sikeston by 12 earlier, good win, I dont want to come off harsh at all, but I really wish Sikeston played a better schedule, i want to see this team play a really good team, I have a feeling the Charleston game is going to say alot.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:48 PM

Momentum killer for Kennett. Any word why Mitchell and Primer didn't play? If it is a coach's decision type deal, just say that. No need to air anything else out.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • I still see a lot of work that needs to be done for them to win Class 4, unless there just isn't much out there this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:53 PM

There's always work to be done, Farm. I agree. Bratcher is really getting better at shot selection and has scored 16 or more in three of his last four games. Porter is gaining more confidence. Coach is also going deeper into his bench as Brown is now getting some time as a reserve in competitive situations. If Jones can rebound after some struggling in the last two games and the defense can get back on track, we will be ok. However, there also isn't much out there in Class 4 this year either.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:55 PM
  • Their top two players, primer and Mitchell , you also have to consider they lost drake which was their third best player a wk ago. Plus one of their other post players has been hurt for awhile . Still a good win for twin rivers, hopefully primer and Mitchell will be back for charleston . This game gave our freshmen some valuable playing time

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:57 PM
  • I don't know if they just play down to their competition or what, but a close win over Kennett (granted they're a decent team but not state-champion caliber) and a 12 point win over an above-average but not great Jackson team have them looking very beatable.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:58 PM

I thought Drake was done for the year though.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 8:58 PM
  • I herd they were both out for some type of injury but didn't here what it was, hopefully nothing very serious

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:01 PM

It isn't like Jackson is some scrub team though. And that Kennett game was kind of an anamoly on the season for reasons that I'm not going to explain on here. The regular season is a process of preparing for the postseason. Right now, I'm not overly concerned about where the team is in that process.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:02 PM
  • No, as I said, they're above average but not great. If that is the caliber of the Class 4 Final 4 then you're right, talent is down quite a bit this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:04 PM
  • Sikeston tends to level off around this time every season it seems like. They hit a peak at the beginning of the year and then again around districts. Not sure if it's the lull of the season or everyone else getting better. I agree with you about Jones sideline. Ever since the Maplewood game he's been 'off'. He missed a lot of close shots that are usually money for him tonight.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • He is done for the year , but he was an important part of our team. Take top three players off of any team in semo and they will struggle against a descent team is all I'm saying

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:06 PM

I agree, ktown. In my head, I've just stopped considering Drake when I think about Kennett and when I hear they have players out, etc. The way I read your one post made it sound to me like he was only out temporarily.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:08 PM
  • Class 4 as I am sure everyone knows is just really down this year, I see Sikeston winning the state title, but Im also not that impressed with them. They have done what they had to do with the schedule theyplay, I'd just like to see them play a team like a Chaminade or Desmet, who are above average to aveage teams here in st louis. i will say this though that Fort Zumwalt south team they played in xmas tourney is better than people think, that looking back on it was a solid win.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:08 PM
  • Im going to give my opinion on Jt Jones, if you have decent size like Jackson does he isnt going to put up good numbers, he is a very good ballplayer. And a word to the wise for coaches out there gte very physical with Sikeston, they dont seem to respond well with that.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • Funny you say that scott. I was actually thinking in the first half when the refs were really letting them play down low that it was more of an advantage for Jackson where in years past it has been a big advantage for Sikeston.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:14 PM
  • Im not trying to pick on Sikeston at all, I like this program alot, this years team just doesnt seem to be tough, if you know what I am saying, like I said earlier I want to see them play some competition, this program is one of the best in the state, but they need to step that schedule up a notch, it will only benefit them.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:18 PM

We don't blow a ton of teams out this year and are a bit shaky inside. If anything, my only problem lately has been some lackadaisical play on defense. The offense has been just fine. I've wanted to beef up the schedule for Sikeston for awhile by getting Bernie and Fredericktown off and replacing at least one with a good St. Louis school whether it be DeSmet, CBC, Hazelwood Central, McCluer North, or whoever. The main goal is to win state though and I don't think playing one of those types of teams would make a huge difference in prepping for state. My pipedream is still seeing Sikeston get in the Meramec tournament.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • Anyone got anymore scores for tonight? BTW congrats to TR on the victory over Kennett.

-- Posted by semolian on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • The Hayti varsity boys defeated Neelyville 68-45.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • I didn't mean to mislead anyone with that post and hopefully he will be back next year. I hope everybody will be back and healthy for the charleston game.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:28 PM
  • Boy Id like that too Sideline that would be a solid 4 games of good competition. id love to see Sikeston play a team like Riverview this year just to see the outcome,I know i come across as biased towards ballclubs up here but I'm honestly not, i just see the level of play more here, and Im telling ya some of those teams Sikeston plays couldnt beat the JV teams of alot of the city schools.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:29 PM
  • Sikeston is 17-1 with wins over some pretty good teams in Charleston and FZS. Their sole loss was by 4 points to one of the best teams in the state. They are still growing and will have some growing pains along the way, but Coach Holifield will have them ready come playoff time.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:30 PM
  • And don't forget, Jackson just placed second in the Lindbergh Tourney knocking off the 1 seed in the process.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:31 PM
  • Ktown who was #1 on the JV?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:34 PM

Poplar Bluff defeats Farmington 91-80. Not sure what happened in the fourth there but it was 66-49 PB after three so Farmington outscored them 31-25 in the fourth.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:36 PM
  • True rocketsbro but I will say the #1 seed in that tourney isnt real good, but solid win for sure, hell they beat by 18 I beleive.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:37 PM
  • I'm not sure who he was,I didn't get to watch the game. Listened on the radio on way home from wrk

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:40 PM
  • The level of talent is down this year in high school basketball, and the Bulldogs need to work on their basketball IQ. I hope with the remaining practices and regular season games, that this topic is addressed.

-- Posted by Highriser on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:40 PM
  • Leopold over Chaffee 85-59

-- Posted by mm81 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:40 PM
  • The Senath-Hornersville varsity boys defeated Cooter 74-42.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:42 PM
  • I agree totally with Highriser, basketball isnt too hot in the state as a whole.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:42 PM
  • The Kennett varsity girls defeated Campbell 78-23.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:42 PM
  • Naylor 56-28 over Greenville

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:45 PM
  • Ok here it goes, mitchell is alittle banged up on one of his legs, primer was a coaches deal not health related, the freshmen nelson had been sick all day with stomach problems but decided to try to play sick, drake is out for season I believe, taylor the 6'3 post is still out with bad back,so we started the game with one of the original starters that normally starts. Coach vaughan runs a tight ship and builds character as well as players so he will sit a kid to teach a lesson and I respect that. So its not as bad as it sounds, we lost in overtime with one starter

and second and third string freshmen. We should be fine by friday I hope. But give twin rivers credit, they played

hard and earned the win.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 9:58 PM
  • Terryhicks4 pres, that kids name is carlos turner, good student and athelete another solid player from that freshman class.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:04 PM
  • Bluff beats Farmington 91-80

-- Posted by PBMuleFan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:17 PM
  • Anyone have a final on the Perryville-Cape Central, Cairo-SCC, or Bloomfield-Puxico games?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:18 PM
  • That kid is a stud.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:22 PM
  • Yes, Drake for Kennett is out for year. Mitchell has a sprained LCL but hopefully will play Friday. Primer was a coach's decision. Nelson was sick all day but played and Taylor, their other post, was cleared today but didn't play, should be able to log some minutes Friday. With all their guys, would beat Twin Rivers 15-20 IMO. Hope they get healthy Friday when Charleston comes to town, or it could be ugly.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:23 PM
  • Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 more Kennett people in this thread to list the injuries Kennett has. I usually dont believe something unless I have about 17-25 sources.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:33 PM
  • Twin Rivers 54, Kennett 53 OT

Portageville 91, North Pemiscot 33

Holcomb 67, Malden 42

Risco 79, Gideon 59

Senath 74, Cooter 42

Delta C-7 67, Southland 32

Hayti 68, Neelyville 45

Naylor 56, Greenville 28

Charleston 104, Caruthersville 68

-- Posted by bleachermania on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:33 PM
  • Lol!

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:34 PM
  • Bloomfield beat Puxico 73-66 in 3OT

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:35 PM
  • Cape Central demolished Perryville 69-22. Also, Bloomfield defeated Puxico 72-66.

So the semi-finals on Thursday at the SCAA Tournament in Bloomfield are set: #1 Bernie vs. #4 Bloomfield and #2 Dexter vs. #3 Advance. I don't know the order or times yet, but BBfanatic will prolly be able to tell us.

Still looking for a final on the Cairo-SCC game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:40 PM
  • SCC 67, Cairo 66

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:47 PM
  • Poor Southland. Have the Rebels even come close to winning a game this season? Their coach was quoted before the season as saying he thought they would be a top four team in the Tri-County this year and might even win it. I thought then he was dreaming.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:51 PM
  • Thank you much StatChecker00.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:52 PM
  • Apparently SCC was ahead by 10 through most of it. Cairo fought back towards the end and Larandis Banks hit a shot with two seconds left to win it.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • And, no problem Preach.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • stlscott-considering that probably 70% of the school in the city and burbs are Class 4 and 5 I would hope the level of play would be higher in stl than in semo.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 10:56 PM

I thought that twin rivers could give kennett a game tonight thats why i picked them in buckmajor's pickim contest just heard S.I.got beat again by fredericktown 62-58 sounds like they are struggling!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:03 PM
  • Heard you were a little slow terry glad you finally got it. I knew a terry hicks, he was a little wimpy red head , years ago though. Sorry for the info overload guess we were ashamed of the loss and wanted to explain.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:06 PM
  • bleachermania, thanks for the posting all the scores. I have a question for you Tri-County posters. What are the big rivalries in that conference or area? I know Holcomb vs. Risco and Clarkton vs. Risco are heated rivalries, but what are some of the others? I will list them in future threads. Thanks!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:11 PM

Poplar Bluff just keeps rolling along maybe it's the competion but they just keep winning.

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:12 PM

Preacher you are right about southland i watched them against neelyville i think they and marquand are the two worst teams i have seen this year.

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:17 PM
  • You're cute squawdad.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:20 PM

Preacher,Don't know if you follow coaching changes much but i heard today that hall of famer allen davis who left desoto is going to be taking the grandview job kinda scratch my head about that one maybe he want's the challenge!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:25 PM
  • That's news to me porchswing. I just figured Davis would just retire after leaving DeSoto.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:33 PM

I think that is what we all thought but i guess ayear away was more than he could stand!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 22, 2013, at 11:36 PM
  • Preach,

The following are the top rivalries in the Tri-Co in no particular order. This is considering all sports not just basketball.

1) Holcomb vs Campbell

2) Clarkton vs Gideon

3) Clarkton vs Risco

4) Holcomb vs Risco

5) Holcomb vs Cooter (baseball mainly)

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 1:16 AM
  • SCAA Tournament Times:

Thursday:

Jv-Dexter vs Bloomfield 4pm

Jv-Bernie vs Advance 5:30pm

Varsity-Dexter vs Advance 7pm

Varsity-Bernie vs Bloomfield 8:30pm

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 7:52 AM
  • I know it's news from the great white North those of you south of the Diversion Channel would be un- interested in, but I may have seen the most exciting basketball game of the year last night. My FredMo Blackcats beat South Iron 62 to 58! Just had to crow about a little....

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 10:18 AM
  • That's a really good win for Freddy, mojo3. You've got another big game coming up Friday night against rival PHC. What is Freddy's record?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 11:30 AM
  • Bumped for scores.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 2:27 PM
  • Risco 38 seneath 27 at half

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 7:14 PM
  • Dexter JV beat Bloomfield by around 20.

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 7:34 PM
  • Dexter-Advance score?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 7:40 PM
  • 66-65 Senath-Hornersville. 41 seconds remaining.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 7:56 PM
  • Advance 86 Dexter 59 1 min to go

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:00 PM
  • Senath-Hornersville and Risco head to overtime tied at 68.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:02 PM
  • Not too surpised about the Advance/Dexter game. Advance has seemed to step it up as of late.

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • Senath-Hornersville defeats Risco 76-72 in overtime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:17 PM
  • That's a shocker Dustin! But a good win for Coach Heeb's Lions.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:19 PM

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The guy can coach!!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:21 PM
  • Does anybody have a score on the Oran-Leopold game?

-- Posted by bleacherking on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:51 PM
  • Senath starts 2 freshman a sophomore a 2 juniors. They have one senior on the team. A lot of times if they get in foul trouble it is another freshman or sophomore that comes into the game. I saw them at the Bulldog Classic get beat 30 something by Clarkton and tonight they beat a good Risco team. They are just a team that plays really hard and keeps getting better. Good for those kids because it has been a long time since they have had a good team down there.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:52 PM
  • Oran and Leopold play tomorrow night bleacherking.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:54 PM
  • I dont know where my head is at, I knew that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:58 PM
  • The Poplar Bluff varsity girls defeated Kennett 53-19.

The Hayti varsity boys defeated Cooter 90-34.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 8:59 PM
  • Not to hijack... but Ole Miss just won a sweet one over Tennessee.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • Senath Hornersville 76, Risco 72 OT

Hayti 90, Cooter 34

Naylor 54, Lesterville 23

Advance 86, Dexter 59

South Pemiscot-Scott City Postponed

-- Posted by bleachermania on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 9:32 PM
  • Bernie beat Bloomfield 81-52

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 9:45 PM
  • So at the SCAA Tournament tomorrow night in Bloomfield, we have these two games:

1. #2 Dexter vs. #4 Bloomfield at 5:30 p.m.

2. #1 Bernie vs. #3 Advance at 8:30 p.m.

Should be two great games!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 9:58 PM
  • BTW, the first game is for 3rd place and the latter game is for the championship.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 9:59 PM
  • Saxony 79-62. East Prairie played hard in the first half but too much crusaders in the second. Coach called off the dogs a little early or it would have been much worse. Looking forward to district preview with Scott City next Tuesday.

-- Posted by Saderfan on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 10:08 PM
  • The Stoddard County Tournament was kind of disappointing tonight. I thought there would be four fairly close games, but they were all blowouts. Every game was a 25-30 point game. Bernie and Advance both looked very good. Too close to call tomorrow. Unless Ellenburg gets in foul trouble, Bernie's JV should win the JV championship game by 10+. But...it's Bernie/Dexter... anything can happen.

-- Posted by paulm on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 10:28 PM

It was a fun game to watch, Pete Sims.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 24, 2013, at 11:04 PM
  • Preach, FredMo's record is hovering around .500, I think 9 and 7 now. That PHC team is playing pretty good. Our guys took them into OT during the Christmas tourney, but lost gas and fell by 6 IRC in the end. Should be a REALLY good game!

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:21 AM

Big Springs tourney semi's Alton79-43 over van buren,Eminence 72-68 over Winona!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:27 AM
  • Put this on another thread, but only about 50/50 that Mitchell plays tonight for Kennett. If not, will be very difficult for Kennett to keep it close.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 1:37 PM
  • FYI, all four games tonight at the SCAA Tournament will be live on YHC-TV and streamed live on www.semosportszone.com. The games begin at 4:00 p.m. with the JV 3rd place game (Advance vs. Bloomfield), then the varsity 3rd place game at 5:30 p.m.(Dexter vs. Bloomfield), then the JV Championship at 7:00 p.m.(Bernie vs. Dexter), followed by the Varsity Championship game at 8:30 p.m. (Bernie vs. Advance).

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 2:37 PM

Why are the players not playing for K-town?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 3:03 PM
  • Mitchell suffered a sprain on his LCL, I believe,

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 3:15 PM

O.k. I am sorry to hear that. Thanks, smo723.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 3:55 PM

NMCC JV up 17-7 on Portageville after 1. Smallest portageville crowd I have ever seen at their place. More NM fans than they have.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:15 PM

NMCC up 28-19 at half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:30 PM

If someone could get me an update on the Sikeston-Cville JV it would be appreciated.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:42 PM

NMCC up 48-24 after 3. Turned it up to another level.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 6:54 PM
  • Beef, you can listen to the Sikeston Cville game online at http://socialstreamingplayer.crystalmedianetworks.com/radio/klsc

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:03 PM

NMCC JV wins 60-27.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:03 PM

Oh I Know that rockets, I was curios about the JV game, we do not have the Varsity team to compete we just don't have the depth.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:04 PM

We have local radio that broadcasts the Varsity game but not the JV game. Ty Jones is not at the game to update on Twitter.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:08 PM
  • I should have the score coming soon. I'll post it here.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:08 PM
  • Sikeston's JV won 55-45.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:10 PM

Thanks rocketsbro for that update. I figured it would be a decent game.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:13 PM
  • No Mitchell again tonight for Kennett

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:22 PM
  • Charleston won jv 53-44 mitchell not on court, not playing.Varsity about to start.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:27 PM
  • After 1 Chaffee 14

SCC 5

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:30 PM

Sikeston leads Caruthersville 10-4 about three minutes into the game. Jones has five for Sikeston. Ruffin with a 3. Grant has all four for Caruthersville. Timeout Tigers.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:43 PM
  • After one knt chtn tied at 16

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • 16-16 after 1st qtr knnt and charleston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • Something i never thought i'd see. SCC gave up on the press

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett and Charleston varsity boys are tied at 16 after one quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:46 PM
  • At the half Chaffee leads SCC 29-20

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:47 PM
  • 22-18 charleston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:49 PM
  • Holcomb 33, Clarkton 30 at half

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:50 PM
  • Sikeston leads Cville 22-8 after 1.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Sikeston leads Caruthersville 22-8 after one. Ruffin with three 3's already. Jones with seven I think.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • Well it was close for a little while 35-22 charleston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:55 PM
  • Radio announcer just said Monroe was in the game. Is that true or is someone wearing his old jersey?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:58 PM

Radio guy says Darrell Monroe is in there. Is that a former JV kids using his number or is that actually him?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 7:59 PM

No it's Malik Monroe, Darrell's younger brother.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:00 PM
  • 36-25 halftime charleston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:00 PM

Then, this radio guy is just really struggling tonight.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:01 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. At halftime the Charleston varsity boys lead Kennett 36-25.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:02 PM

Haha Monroe can't play anymore this year I assure you

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:02 PM

NMCC up 41-33 at halftime.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:02 PM

Closer than I felt for Kennett without Mitchell playing.

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:05 PM

Great atmosphere though! Both fan bases going at it. Loud, packed, hot, and I don't hardly have a voice left haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:05 PM
  • Sikeston leads 41-16 at half.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Sikeston leads Caruthersville 41-16 at half.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Opps... This text brought to you by Kraft Mac & Cheese:

Sikeston leads at half 41-16

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:07 PM
  • Kennett isn't doing bad without Mitchell , their freshmen starters are getting better as the season goes on.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:09 PM
  • After 3 Chaffee leads SCC 48-35

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:11 PM

I agree ktown5150... That is what I was saying!

I just didn't see them staying close to a Bluejay team without Mitchell.

No disrespect!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:14 PM
  • No problem, I didn't expect it to be this close either. I would like to see kennett make a game out of it, but it will be hard to do without Mitchell .

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:27 PM
  • Chaffee beats SCC 64-47

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:27 PM

Ktown5150-

Please keep us updated on the score...

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM

Bluejays without 1 starter; Derrion Carter out due to illness

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:28 PM

Sikestons leads Caruthersville 68-30 after three. Run the clock!

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:30 PM

NMCC up 56-47 after 3

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Holcomb wins 69-38 over Clarkton

Massey with 34..

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • 68-30 Sikeston after 3.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:31 PM

Holcomb only let Clarkton score 8 in the second half? Wow.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:31 PM

This message brought to you by The Man, The Myth, The Legend... You can't stop him only hope to contain him... DUSTIN WARD!

Sikeston Leads Cville 68-30 after 3 quarters

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:32 PM
  • Subject: Basketball

Message: Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Charleston varsity boys lead Kennett 53-35 at the end of the third quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:35 PM
  • Mitchell is such a big difference maker for our team, defensively and on offense. Would have been nice to have him tonight but the main thing is for him to get healthy for the rest of the season.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:35 PM
  • Charleston up 23 , 6:07 left in 4th

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Sikeston defeats Caruthersville 84-41.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:39 PM
  • 84-41 Sikeston wins.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:40 PM

Subject: HOOPS

This text brought to you by Stevie Wonder's eyes:

Sikeston wins 81-41 over Cville

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:42 PM

Opps...

This text brought to you by autocorrect:

84-41

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • Cape Central down by 3 at half...Were up by 9

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • 63-38 ctown 3 minutes and something left

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:43 PM

Ktown... How many Kennett players are missing?

Just Mitchell?

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:46 PM
  • 69-42 ctown wins

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Charleston varsity boys defeated Kennett 69-42.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • Just Mitchell.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • This is what happens when you get rid of the best basketball coach the school has seen. Heeb ran a good system. Heeb knows how to coach against quality teams. Smith is a joke, plain and simple. Expect more of this for years to come in Cville. These same kids competed very well with Sikseton last year, only losing by 9 I think. Almost beat Charleston in districts last year. Same kids!!! What's the difference??? Coach Smith!! I rest my case!

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Nmcc update?

-- Posted by ealge97 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:50 PM

NMCC beats rival poortageville 82-64!!! I was really surprised they didn't bring the game basketball in on a helicopter or corvette or something.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:54 PM
  • How'd Jimmerson do?

-- Posted by ealge97 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:58 PM

Well we were missing Darrell tonight but I do not think it would have changed the out come of the game. I agree that our players are still adjusting to the style of ball they are playing now because that JV team looks pretty crisp. We will see how thing pan out over the next few years. This JV team has beat just about everyone only losing 2 games this year so they should compete well at the varsity level when they get there.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 8:59 PM

Hah, buck that was the funniest thing I have seen on here in a while..

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • Advance leads Bernie 19-16 at half.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:05 PM

Haha I feel you on that one Beef!

Eagle, Jimerson did great!! Completely took over the game. Even had another 3 point buzzer beater from a step inside the half court line to close out the 1st quarter. That's when the momentum turned, cause NMCC was down by 11 points a one point that quarter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:08 PM
  • Not sure about tonight's game, I listened to it on radio. Not saying he would have made up the difference in the score. I'm sure it would have been closer than it was though. He is averaging 22.6 pg and has several steals and assists per game also. We could have used all that tonight.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:09 PM
  • Heard Jimmerson had 40 or 41 against Portageville tonight!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • 19-16......Wow, surprised your awake to give us that update.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:13 PM
  • The South Pemiscot varsity boys defeated Neelyville 70-58.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:16 PM

Bernie leads Advance 36-22 after three quarters.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:19 PM

He had a lot semo7178, a lot! No way I could keep up with points tonight, to much going on in that atmosphere haha. But if he had 40 or 41 I wouldnt be surprised!! Everyone played great though! Good team effort in a very small gym and hostile atmosphere! I mean when the other team is shedding some tears at the end of the game, that's an emotional game. Everyone goes all out. Portageville never stopped playing thats for sure. Also kudos to coach Day. Prolly the best game Iv seen him coach all year. He really did a good job resting guys, maintaing fouls, running guys in and our, and well placed time outs. Great all around effort by everyone!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • The Delta C-7 varsity boys defeated Senath-Hornersville 57-56 in overtime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:23 PM

Standard Democrat's Twitter says Jimerson scored 41.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:23 PM

Just heard ND beat Jacksonby 8? Wow... Didn't see that coming...

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:30 PM

Then that's probably correct! Because one of the standard democrats reporters was there, and he was interviewing lil Willie. It was a guy, Iv seen him at several games, but don't know his name, maybe the Pobst guy. I'm sure he put it on twitter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:33 PM
  • Willie has to be top 3 players in semo!

-- Posted by ealge97 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:35 PM
  • Bernie over Advance 54 to 43

-- Posted by ealge97 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:49 PM

Willie Jimerson did have 41. I don't ever remember an NMCC player having over 40. I know Dontre Jenkins had 37 against Scott City one time, but Iv never seen a 41. Willie was getting double and triple teamed the whole time. That might be a school record.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 9:52 PM
  • I agree that Mitchell would have made a difference in the score tonight but not the outcome. Charleston is clearly the better team. One point I want to make about Cville and their JV in my opinion they are nowhere near the talent that the tigers have had the last couple years. No disrespect to those kids at all but they don't have the talent of the groups like Elbie Fonda and Claude Taylor had not Jamal Johnson and Darrell Monroe. I think they have a solid JV team but Malden has 2 good Sophs starting varsity. Senath has 2 freshman an a Soph starting varsity. Kennett has 2 freshman and a Soph starting varsity. Cville could very well have a good team in a couple years but their JV is racking up wins against backup players right now. And if smith doesn't get it together who knows if he will still be there.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:01 PM
  • Yes we played them even in the first qtr and did well through half . They opened it up in the third and held it .Charleston is good but I cant believe we played that close with them for that long with two freshmen , a sophmore on the court so much! It was good for those kids to get lots of minutes against a good team. Based on what I saw tonight sikeston wins the rematch by 10 or so. Kennett will be fine when mitchell is back, and we get our roation back to normal. good luck to sikeston and charleston in the rematch.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:17 PM
  • If Jackson plays as uninspired as they did tonight they won't win another game this year. They were awful, far too dependent on King.

Gotta give it to ND, they came ready to play tonight.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:29 PM

Starting to sound like a broken record poplar bluff win's again!Another score S.I. back on track 62-22 over meadow heights.

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:34 PM
  • I'm not sure what playing tough means. Sikeston led by 20 for most of the game against Jackson. They hit some late 3's to make it respectable. If that's playing them tough, then I guess they did. I will say Jackson battled and didn't quit or the game could have been ugly. So credit them for that.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:37 PM
  • Dexter over Bloomfield 40-37. They won tonight without their leading scorer, Chase Young, who is out with a knee injury. He hurt it last night against Advance and will have an MRI on Monday.

Also, Advance looked just terrible tonight against Bernie. You have to credit the Mules defense, but the Hornets couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight. They only scored four points in the 3rd quarter.

In other action, Park Hills Central defeated Fredericktown 51-47.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • Anybody have a score from the Doniphan-Malden game? Or the Clearwater-Greenville game?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • D. Carter you were very missable tonight. Get well!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • I watched the whole Jackson-Sikeston game...don't recall many 20 point leads. Maybe 10-ish at half and between 15-20 at a couple points in the second half (as few as 9 points in the 4th quarter).

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:50 PM
  • Could be wrong, but I don't believe my memory is that bad.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:53 PM

Same here, Farmboy. He must be confusing that game with another

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:53 PM

Dons won 79-65

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • Papi, your are right about Jackson game.

Their effort tonight was beyond pitiful.

Expect a turbo clock.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:02 PM
  • Slight exaggeration. My point is, it wasn't close. I believe 65-49 was the score in the 4th. Jackson hit late shots and got it to 9 with under a minute to go. Still not sure if that is playing "tough." The game was not even close to being in doubt. Certainly not getting blown out though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:03 PM
  • Charleston beat Cville by 36. Sikeston beat them by 33 when they hit their final 3. Not sure what you can tell by that except that Charleston and Sikeston both played well against Cville.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:06 PM
  • Sikeston led Jackson by 8 at half. Max lead was 15 and down to 9 midway thru 4th.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:07 PM

Sikeston beat C'ville by 43, not 33.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:13 PM

Comparing games is stupid!

-- Posted by mmorse on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:18 PM
  • I'm terrible at math yah-yah lol. Either way, I'm not sure what Papi is trying to prove by comparing scores.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:24 PM

Compare the score on the 31st when the game is over! Anything else is, woulda, coulda and shoulda!

-- Posted by mmorse on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:34 PM
  • I'm with you on that mmorse. Somebody needs to tell Papi that. He doesn't listen to me lol

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:36 PM
  • Holcomb 69, Clarkton 38

Congrats to Holcomb on Tri County Championship!

Risco 78, Southland 35

Delta C-7 57, Senath-Hornersville 56 OT

South Pemiscot 70, Neelyville 58

Naylor 56, Maynard, Ark 45

Charleston 69, Kennett 42

Sikeston 84, Caruthersville 41

New Madrid CC 84, Portageville 62

-- Posted by bleachermania on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:53 PM
  • Well that about wraps it up for another week of Key Games! Thanks to everyone that posted this week.

If you can, head over to Charleston tomorrow where some of the best girls teams in SEMO will play in a shoot-out. The headliner is Dexter vs. St. Joseph's Academy at 4:30 p.m. Got word tonight that Brittany Harris will be back for the Lady Cats and they will need her. St. Joe's is ranked #1 in Class 5 and have a 6'3" post player! Should be a great game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 25, 2013, at 11:55 PM
  • Bernie played really good defense against a good Advance team tonight. In fact, I thought both teams played good defense the entire first half. The third quarter Bernie just flat out out worked Advance out scroring then 20-3 and got their lead up to 17 at one point. The key to the game was the good job Joey Walker did on Ethan Barr. Advance could not stop David Baker either (29 points).

-- Posted by paulm on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 12:11 AM
  • Yeah, the MRH game wasn't very close. 69-66 with 5 seconds left. Yeah, that's not close at all. Keep trying Papi. Keep trying. I got your back.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 2:28 AM
  • One has to wonder what impact the Bernie-Advance result will have on Uncle Charlie's geographically unbiased small-school rankings next week.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 4:26 AM
  • Bernie played really well in the scaa tournament hopefully quiting some critics now they have holcolmb and notre dame this week can't wait to watch those two games, btw that's why advance IS NOT RANKED IN THE TOP 10 their record is like 11-6 they are not that good to be ranked

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 6:02 AM
  • Quieting

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 6:56 AM

BuckMajor-

Willie was not double and triple teamed all night. If anything Willie ran into most of them going up for a shot. Dont say i dont know what im talking about. i was at the game from start to finish and never once did i mention he was getting double and triple teamed.

-- Posted by hmc53 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 7:17 AM
  • It doesn't matter if he wasn't doubled or tripled teamed, he put up 41 and lead his team to a 19 point "W"

-- Posted by ealge97 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 8:54 AM
  • Sorry 22 point "W"

-- Posted by ealge97 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 8:55 AM
  • PHC vs Fredricktown score was 61-57.

-- Posted by hardwork on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 9:35 AM
  • If he wasn't double teamed at any point while scoring 41 then Pville's coach let his team down

-- Posted by boxout30 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 9:45 AM

And MRH will handle Charleston with no problem. I mean since they handled Sikeston so easily and using your logic, Sikeston beat Charleston by 10.....soooooo......

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:11 AM

So add in Mitchell's average of 22 a game and what would the score have been? Use that logic. Charleston would have won by 5? But, Mitchell put up 31 against Sikeston, so if that's the case and he would have put up 30 on Charleston then Charleston would have lost. Woulda, coulda and shoulda!

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:34 AM

Boxout your right, their coach had him getting double teamed from the whole second quarter on, and the triple teams occurred on Pvilles side of the floor. They were trying to get him to not even be able to bring the ball up the court. He was double teamed by #24 with the dreads and #10 Dion foster. Here is a quote from Chris Pobst article, he was also there "The New Madrid County Central sophomore overcame whatever defense Portageville threw at him to the tune of a career-high 41 points" he was getting all kinds of defensive schemes ran against him. hmc53, you don't know what your talking about.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:38 AM
  • The difference is that kennett played freshmen and sophmores alot and and got most everyone some minutes for the experience and yes you were winning. BUT with a thirty point lead charleston only pulled foster after he fouled out with a few minutes left? Webster and parham were on the court with our second and third string. I was there , and thats ok if thats how you do it but dont compare that to sikeston and kennett with there best against each other. If you want to run the score up with starters and a 20- 30 point lead the last five minutes to impress whoever at least represent it that way.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:45 AM
  • You pound kennett without their best player, which is head and shoulders better than any of your players so don't act like you played the same team that sikeston did. With his 22.6 ppg , steals , rebounds and assists I'm sure it would have been a lot closer at the end. Just saying its not an equal assessment of how both teams played against kennett. I'm sure the sikeston, charleston game will be close at the end.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:46 AM

No Papi that logic relies on the premise that whoever you guys were missing is an equal quality player as Mitchell which isn't the case. That kid is going to go far at the next level and may make it to the league. I don't think Charleston has any NBA players on the roster.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:46 AM
  • I don't care if he was double-teamed, quadruple teamed, or was playing a game of one-on-one...41 points is a lot. I'm thinking back on the last few years considering if any of the star players ever scored 41 or more...

I don't recall Michael or Otto Porter scoring 41...granted they played about 3 quarters at the most in most of their games. Don't know if either Hansbrough ever put up that many. Dom Johnson was in the high 30's once if I recall correctly. Drew Thomas, no. Jake Leet, no. Nick Niemczyk, no. Numerous good Charleston players...I don't think so. Matt Rogers? Michael Lance? Anybody? The closest I can remember with some degree of accuracy was Willen with 40 against Charleston at the Christmas tourney. My point being, 41 is a lot of dang points.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:47 AM
  • 41 is a lot especially for a soph!!!!!

-- Posted by Eagle97 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:55 AM

Good point Farmboy! And Willie had 4 fouls, there were several stretches of the game where he was not on the floor. Coach Day also eludes to that in the article about how others stepped up when he was not on the court. I'm sure Hmc will say that's not true, but that NMCC actually ran 6 players against 5 for stretches, smh.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 10:59 AM

Charleston probably only has one player who plays in "mop up" roles. So, it doesn't matter who's on the floor at game's end; therefore, don't insinuate that Coach Farmer tried to make the final margin look better. That is something he just does not do as he's intelligent enough to know that "what goes around comes around."

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 11:05 AM
  • Im sorry I forgot you hate on people that dont agree with you.You are always right and everyone but you is an idiot, please forgive me.You were not at the game so you must know more about it than those that were. What are the odds that one dude could be so much better than everyone. Man you should be big timing it not down here in the bootheel with rest of us .I am sorry for that.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 11:28 AM
  • To all the Kennett fans calling Mitchell the best player in te area please stop. He has more TALENT than anybody who plays for charleston but he has never lived up to that talent. Parham is a player. Hull is a player. Those guys compete at the highest level every night. Mitchell has the talent to dominate but for some reason he has never played at a competitive level or played as hard as the best players in the area on a consistent basis. He takes too many plays off takes too many games off. Sure he was awesome against sikeston and that is how he could play all the time. He doesn't. If he did Kennett would have a much better team.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 12:21 PM
  • Bootheelhooper, you are correct on your analysis of Mitchell. The kid is 6'4 and should be dominating this area in highschool bball this year. I was at the Sikeston'game and the only reason the game was close, was due to the bias refs, and Sikeston's poor shot selection. On a neutral floor, Sikeston will beat Kennett by 15.

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 12:36 PM
  • Preach,

C'water turboed G'ville 66-22.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 12:53 PM
  • Ok pipi you are right about everything and I should feel foolish. Feel better about yourself yet , we all hope so . God bless you and have a great day . I understand your frustration and hope you can work through it.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 1:03 PM
  • Ok, bias refs. What was the total # of fouls for both teams cause from what I saw it was about equal. I saw no calls for both teams. I don't know about taking games off, he averaged 17 a game as a soph and 22.6 so far as a Jr. Sikeston and charleston both have very good players and deeper benches than kennett. If he doesn't get a serious injury he will play college ball somewhere . I'm sure your guys will too.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 1:57 PM
  • Ktown, How bad is Mitchell's injury,and will he be back on the floor soon? Also,does anyone know Darrion Carter's status?

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 2:33 PM
  • As for the Sikeston Kennett game, the fouls were 24 against Sikeston and 11 against Kennett. The first half was the worst with Kennett only having 1 foul called against them and Sikeston 9.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 2:35 PM
  • Mitchell does a lot for Kennett. He scores, rebounds, assists, he gets a ton of deflections and has good instincts. The 1 thing that i've noticed about him is he seems to react to the negative things that occur in a game a little too much. Not uncommon with high school kids and I'm sure it's addressed quite often by the coaches. Sometimes it just takes some kids a while longer than others to figure those things out.

Regardless, he's one of the top players in the area. Saying he's not is just hating. Simple as that.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 3:14 PM
  • I'm not sure how bad his injury is, hopefully not to bad. I haven't herd either way. Hope he can get back soon and be healthy for the district tournament.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 3:28 PM
  • I didn't say that Mitchell couldn't play. He will probably go on and play college ball in the future. But at that height, he should be dominating the teams that Kennett plays. I hope Mitchell gets well, so that he can play when the District games begin. I guarantee that he want score over 20pts, and Sikeston will beat Kennett by 15pts or more.

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 4:30 PM
  • I hope it's not too bad either. Mitchell has a bright future ahead of him. He's an outstanding player.

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 4:51 PM
  • Mithell should have been tee up when he got right in the officials face and was yelling on a call. That was strickly a homer no call.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 5:25 PM
  • You need to stop crying about refs, there were no homer calls, sikeston plays slap happy defense and they get called for fouls. They can't slap at the ball all the time and not get called for hitting other players hands and arms while trying to take the ball away. The game was close because kennett played the best game of their season that night and Mitchell played an awesome game along with it. He got hurt the next day and we will see what happens with kennett when he gets back, if they can continue to play like they did against sikeston or not. They can't without him because they aren't deep enough

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 7:34 PM
  • All the refs let sikeston and charleston play like that in the semo area and that's fine but don't cry when some refs actually call a foul

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 7:39 PM
  • Mitchell should be back this week. Kennett has a bye in first round of conference tourney, so they don't play until Thursday. He should play then.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 7:48 PM
  • Terry Mead (SEMO) had at least one 50-pt. game in high school. Seth Harris also had a 40-plus game earlier this year for South Pemiscot.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • I don't mind the number of fouls called on Sikeston. I do mind that Kennett only had one foul called on them in the first half. 1 foul, really? That's not getting homered?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 8:55 PM

Richard Forshee had a 45 point game against North Pem. last year and a 40 poing game against Bell City. Yes, it is alot of points but alot of players in the area have done just that. In fact, Alan Flannigan(Sp) had a 50 point game against New Madrid a couple of years ago.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Jan 26, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • Yah without a doubt mitchell is best player ive seen this year but its the only time ive seen him play at the sikeston game. While jays have better overall talent no jay is better than mitchell individually. The dude can lead fastbreak, run point, rebound. Not sure about range cuz i dont remember him launching any treys. He's got the tools to take it to next level for sure.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:06 AM
  • Michael hart from Clarkton used to score 40-50 quit often and even scored 56 or 60 against Bernie just go to MSHAA website and look at the records he played in the 90's

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:26 AM
  • the difference

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:42 AM
  • the difference between C'ville last year to this year vs Charleston

Monroe, Fonda, McWilliams, Cobb

not much! lol

the difference between this year's Cville Varsity and JV. JV believes and run system. Varsity believes in text and twitters that they receive daily from Senath.

Look at this year's JV team and compare them to the style of play (system) that Smith ran in Puxico - Identical! The Varsity is divided between Smith's system and streetball. Look at what players are jacking and forcing shots and then check their texts.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:49 AM
  • Michael Hart was a lot of fun to watch!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:01 AM
  • jpaawhite so you know what I'm talking about he was a scoring machine probably averaged 40 a game no team could stop him

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:13 AM
  • Oh yes definitely! You couldn't stop him at all! He was so great with the ball in his hands and so quick! He could shoot anywhere on the court! Which made it that much sweeter when my Risco Tigers beat them his SR year in district finals on a 3 pointer with about 1 second left by David Duckworth. Clarkton had beaten just a couple weeks before by a large margin so at the time it was a big upset! But Hart was by far the best scorer I've seen! Was so talented!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:32 AM
  • BasketballRim- Please tell me your not saying Smith's system is proven and better compared to Heeb's system. Let me drop some much needed knowledge for you.

The system Heeb runs produces. How do I know that?

Arnold Ryan (2 state titles, 4 final fours) Carrol Cookson (2 state titles, 4 Final Fours)

Ronnie Cookson (13 state titles, 15 final fours) David Heeb (2 state titles, 3 final fours)

Kenyon Wright (3 state titles, 3 final fours)... The system Heeb runs has put up 22 state titles and 29 Final Four Trips.

Please enlighten me on how many titles Smith's system produced?

On to my next point.

Apparently your a Smith person because you tend to make remarks about Heeb and Senath, which shows your maturity level. Heeb has not ONCE threw his players under the bus. After the Charleston game, Smith blamed the players for not running his system and going back to blaming Heeb for how he got beat by 33 against Charleston. If your players are not running your system, BENCH them. Darrell is not the reason we lost to Sikeston. Getting out-coached is. Smith has not ONCE took resposibility for his failure to coach these boys. Sounds like a poor coach to me.

You want to compare JV to Varsity?? That's laughable. The competition from JV to Varsity is totally different. There will come a point where Smith will run out of excuses at Caruthersville and has no one to blame but himself. If you would take off your "homer" glasses and quit kissing his butt, you would see that!!!

Nothing else to say, I proved my point!!!

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 10:29 AM
  • +1 for tigers95

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:02 AM

I think that case is closed!Does anyone know the big springs tourney championship final?

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:14 AM
  • All of this talk about the Kennett and Charleston reminds me of an old saying. "IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT DONT DISH IT OUT. I have seen Kennett many times pressing and still pouring it on up by huge scores. I remember someone pointing this out in the BCT when Kennett was ahead of Richland by around 70 in the 4th quarter. A Kennett fan posted that's how we play. Reminds me of another old saying. "WHAT GOES AROUND COME AROUND. "

-- Posted by MoArk on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 12:19 PM
  • I disagree bootheelhooper. It's -1 for the both of these guys.

You both need to get over yourselves. Maybe tim's time would be better served figuring out how to defeat a quality class 3 opponent and maybe david's time would be better served figuring out how to beat Delta C-7.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 1:32 PM
  • BSC champ. Eminence 72, Alton 64

3rd place Winona 93, Van Buren 71

-- Posted by richierich on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 3:48 PM
  • Big difference Jwhitlock.

Coach Smith was handed a loaded team with the potential to challenge for Districts this year. Remember what I'm telling you because I will be back on this forum later to say I told you so. Smith will NEVER win more games than he loses at Caruthersville. The only way that happens is if he weakens the schedule and plays teams like Cooter or Delta. Districts is NMCC's next year.

Coach Heeb was handed a team that was struggling and trying to rebuild. Those boys compete now. As far as the whole Delta game. The night before they beat Risco in OT (A team that only lost to Holcomb by a few points) and had to play another OT game the very next night. This same Senath team will be very tough the next couple years.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 3:52 PM
  • Interesting. You make an excuse for 1 teams reason for losing while blasting another coach by declaring they will never win more games than they lose.

I have no doubt your boys will be much improved over the next couple of years. They will have to be tough to contend with a South Pemiscot, Hayti or Bernie over the next 3 years. As I stated earlier, you probably would be better served worrying about that as opposed to worrying about what is going on at C'ville.

As for the coming back on this forum and telling me I told you so comment, you might as well go ahead and grow up. I don't care one way or another as far as your success goes. I also don't care how much success or failure they have at C'ville. I just think it's funny that you 2 would get on here and go back and forth over petty things.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:12 PM
  • Right now I think it's fair to say both teams and both coaches are struggling. What the future holds no one knows.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:25 PM
  • I don't think Heeb is struggling one bit.. he plays varsity with a JV team

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:46 PM
  • Most people that read this site don't see the teams outside their area play. I bet nobody from Cape has even seen South Pem play this year. So when you start ranking teams and stuff like they people have to go by what they read on here. Same goes for fans down here in the bootheel trying to figure out how good South Iron or Clearwater really is. We just have to go by what we hear because most fans down here haven't seen them play. jwhitlock mentioned Delta C7 and that is a perfect example of what I'm saying. Delta C7 has the best team they've had in 10-12 years. They have a shot to win that district not only this year but next year also. I think Risco, C7, and Clarkton all have a good shot in the Class 1 district down here.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:47 PM
  • Sportsnerd, David Heeb himself would be the first person to tell you they're struggling in Senath right now. Read some of his interviews. The Lions are 5-11.

Bootheelhooper, you're right to a point. I myself try to see as many teams as possible, but I haven't seen Clearwater or Delta C-7 play. I do know the Chargers have the best team they've had in years. But as Risco has already turboed Clarkton twice, I really don't think anyone in that district will beat them. Delta C-7 might pull the upset however.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:56 PM
  • bootheelhooper you assume that you know what I meant when I stated that. I was not taking a shot at C-7. I used them because they are a team that Senath has not been able to figure out enough to defeat them as C-7 has beaten them 2 times this year. I have not angst towards them at all.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 4:56 PM
  • preach idk what team you root for exactly but whatever team that is.. what would their varsity record if they only plate freshman and sophomores? Sure they all wish they had a better record but he knew going in this team was in need of rebuilding and hope they would be good in 2 years

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 5:00 PM

Thanks richierich that is a big win for eminence to beat alton on their home floor!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 5:43 PM
  • Sportsnerd, I'm a Dexter guy. We've had alot of injuries and we're playing alot of underclassmen too and guess what? We're struggling too, just like Senath. And aren't you making my point for me by conceding that Senath is in a rebuilding phase? Don't rebuilding teams struggle by definition?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • That was kinda my point.

Heeb is rebuilding Senath while Coach Smith had a team primed to compete.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: