High School Basketball Forum: Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament Seeds

Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:06 PM:

I'm at the Show Me Center for the tournament seeding meeting. The seeding is a bit down on the agenda, so it will be a few minutes. I'll provide updates here throughout.

Replies (83)

• Mitch Wood just ran down the list of sponsors.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • Dickie Nutt just addressed the crowd here. I'll likely have more on his message in my column this week.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:19 PM
  • Coaches are about to address the group prior to seeding votes.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:28 PM
  • Appreciate the updates Rachel.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:30 PM
  • Coaches are turning in their seeds now.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:48 PM
  • I predict Charleston will be the No. 1 seed.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:50 PM

With the way this thing is looking I think they should have drawn names out of a hat and played it that away. There are so many teams that could be so close in competition that there are no clear cut 1-5s IMO.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:50 PM
  • Don't get too far out on that limb Dustin.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:50 PM

Dustin forgot to mention his text was sponsored by Captain Obvious.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:55 PM
  • In an unrelated subject parts of the region are currently under a tornado watch. Isolated severe thunderstorms may develop over the next six hours.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:56 PM
  • Now that is good info Dustin, Thanks.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:57 PM

SS is that like one of the Marvel Comic super heroes?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:06 PM
  • The math is being done now. Coaches are eating some Buffalo Wild Wings. I get you the important facts.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:07 PM
  • The suspense is killing us all...who will be #16?

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:09 PM

Which coach has the most on their plate?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:10 PM
  • I'd say Govreau from Chaffee can put wings down

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:11 PM
  • I'm not allowed to disclose that info, sideline starter.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:12 PM

Dustin, any predictions on what the #1 flavor is?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:12 PM

Then what's the point of having you there?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:12 PM
  • I personally prefer Honey BBQ myself.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:13 PM
  • But I'm currently eating a potato casserole in my living room.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:13 PM

'snerd, if JoeBick was with him, it would be Katie bar the door!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:14 PM

Announcing the seeds now.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:15 PM
  • OMG....this is killing me...i have no life!!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:16 PM

Charleston is the number one seed.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:16 PM

Cape Central is number two.

Notre Dame is number three.

Scott County Central is number four.

What, no drum roll??????????

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:17 PM

The fifth seed is Jackson.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:17 PM

Leopold takes number six.

No. 7 is Advance, and Oran is No. 8.

Scott City is No. 9, followed by Chaffee at 10.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:18 PM

Oak Ridge is the 11th seed.

Kelly is No. 12, and Woodland is 13.

Bell City is 14.

Meadow Heights is No. 15 and Delta is the 16th seed.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:19 PM

Guess that means Rachel got wings and Jordan got the keyboard.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:20 PM

This really should have been a Cover-It-Live.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:21 PM
  • Any thoughts regarding Advance or Leopold's chances of getting the championship out of the bottom part of the bracket this year?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:22 PM

The Day 1 schedule is as follows:

9 a.m.: No. 1 Charleston vs. No. 16 Delta

10:30 a.m.: No. 2 Cape Central vs. No. 15 Meadow Heights

Noon: No. 3 Notre Dame vs. No. 14 Bell City

1:30 p.m.: No. 4 Scott County Central vs. No. 13 Woodland

4:30 p.m.: No. 5 Jackson vs. No. 12 Kelly

6 p.m.: No. 6 Leopold vs. No. 11 Oak Ridge

7:30 p.m.: No. 7 Advance vs. No. 10 Chaffee

9 p.m.: No. 8 Oran vs. No. 9 Scott City

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:25 PM
  • I like all the top seeds chances of winning their first round games.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:26 PM

Leopold's bracket is really favorable for them to make a run to the title. With their size and experience, they can get by ND in the second round. A semi-final against Cape Central would be really interesting.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:26 PM
  • Where can I find a bracket?

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:45 PM

Here's a link to the bracket: http://semoball.com/bracket/1426/

And Day 4, Saturday, December 29, will begin at 4 p.m. this year.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:58 PM
  • would like to see the bracket lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 6:01 PM
  • Delta shouldn't be allowed in the tournament this year. I watched them play Friday night. They played most of second half with 4 players and half of 4th with just three. Sad hate to see a school go through that. But they ate not competitive at all.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 6:17 PM

The Delta coach address their issues tonight. The Bobcats hope to have seven available players by the Christmas Tournament. There are several factors that will play into whether that happens or not, obviously. Apparently they're tallest player recently tore his ACL and is going to try to play through it. Just a tough situation.

We'll probably do Cover It Live next year, sideline. I wasn't sure what to expect this year since it's the first time I've ever been to the seeding meeting.

-- Posted by Jordan Seabaugh on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 6:49 PM

I can imagine all the excitement this Cover-It-Live would have.

Rachel Crader: Danny Farmer takes another bite of buffalo wing. He seemed to savor it more than his last bite. OH! Drew Church gets sauce on his tie.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 6:54 PM

Next year seeds based off of how many wings each coach eats!? Anybody!? Anybody!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:06 PM
  • I just realized that I posted that last comment as Jordan. Whoops. Although I'll go ahead and blame the typo on her anyway. Haha.

Just so you know, sideline. Drew Church was not wearing a tie this evening.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:12 PM
  • rachel will you cover it liver during the semo xmas tourny?

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:18 PM
  • Of course, kmasters! Jordan and I will be there providing live updates from every game of the tournament. We're both already excited.

Bye the way, I asked tournament director Mitch Wood about the 3-point line and he confirmed that there will be a high school line added to the Show Me Center court this year. Last year the teams played with the college line.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:22 PM
  • i say leave it alone play with what they got

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:35 PM
  • No real surprises about the seeds. I personally would've given SCC the nod over ND this year, but it's not that big a deal. Charleston is hands down the best team in the tournament this year, but SC almost scored a huge upset last year over the Jays, so you never know.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:37 PM
  • i like the second round matchups if they play out..leopold could pull off some upsets

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 7:42 PM
  • I think there should definitely be a high school 3-point line at a high school tournament.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:11 PM
  • I agree Dustin.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:28 PM
  • Why don't they take a team like Delta out of this tournament and put Sikeston or NMCC in it.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:32 PM
  • you can't do it based off a yearly basis, 8 years ago delta was really good

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • Delta would never beat Sikeston even if it was 8 years ago. "Really" good is a subjective term depending on who you are ocmparing them to.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:47 PM
  • comparing

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:47 PM
  • it has nothing to do with sikeston.. delta that year would probably beat the notre dame n Jackson team of this year, so by those standards I guess kick them out.. I will say I wish it was 2 8 team tournaments.. a big school division and a small school division which then you could add sikeston, bluff, new Madrid.. etc..

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:21 PM
  • The big school tournament already exists. It's called the SEMO conference tournament.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:23 PM
  • which just adds to my point that adding sikeston wouldn't do anything.. does sikeston need to prove they're better than oak ridge, Chaffee, and woodland? no.. if they wanna probe they're better they notre dame, cape, Jackson, then do it in the SEMO conference tourney (which they already do)... I think sikeston has a near perfect schedule for their current talent level

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • my point is u can't say well throw delta out n put in sikeston because they're better.. if that's the case get rid of 5 teams and add the best 5 closest teams you can find

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 10:02 PM

As fun as being in the SeMissourian tourney would be, I consider the SEMO Conference tourney more highly and find it to be a tougher field. Again, I want Sikeston to try and get in the Meramec and play some premier St. Louis competition. Other than SCC, we see the usual top teams in the SeMissourian tourney at least one to three times a year already.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 10:09 PM
  • Me too sideline I'd love to see Sikeston in the Meramec, would be a very good thing for the program.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 10:50 PM
  • Charleston could beat Delta by 100 points if they wanted too, and they will probably beat them by 75.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 10:52 PM

Delta hopes to have 7 available players? Do they not have a JV team to pluck from? Sheesh

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 11:11 PM
  • and one has a torn acl, pretty much have 6 players

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 11:17 PM
  • The superintendents of the participating schools are in control of who stays and go, so unless there is a situation where somebody does something really stupid or leaves on their own (which they won't because they make money), then the field will stay the same.

-- Posted by El Burro on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 11:34 PM

I don't understand why Sikeston (no clue who Sik is) got out around I believe the 80s but they did and nobody has left in decades so Sikeston could replace them. Can't really worry about getting in tourneys that have already happened. At the moment, Sikeston and Charleston seem to be on a different plane than the rest of the teams in the SEMO area. They are up there with the best in the state. Both teams have enough in the lower classes to make it seem like they could be at or near the top for the next couple of years. Thus, I would rather see Sikeston play out of area competition at Christmas even in places like St. Louis, etc. so that they can get some experience from good to really good competition they won't see the rest of the year instead of just competing against the SEMO Conference and SCC like it is right now. That's just my opinion as a fan.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 12:31 AM

I remember Sikeston being in the Bloomfield Tournament but I never remember Sikeston playing in the Cape Tournament. Years ago, some of the small schools, in addition to SCC, were very competitive in the tournament, i.e. Delta, Lilbourn, and more recently, Bell City and Advance. Believe this, or not, I was on a Charleston team that got eliminated in the first round by Meadow Heights (back then, it was a single elimination affair)...we won the tournament in '70, placed second to Cape Central in '71, then got eliminated in the first round in '72 and '73....then, the state championship years began (after I was gone, of course). That was back when Charleston had 800 students in the high school.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 6:34 AM
  • Sikeston was in the U-High (seMissourian) Tournament in the 40s and 50s. Somewhere along the way they dropped out and got in the Bloomfield Tournament in the 70s. Bloomfield went to a small school format and removed Sikeston and Poplar Bluff. Sikeston has tried for 30 years to get in the Cape Tournament but there have never been openings.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:04 AM
  • Play in whatever tourney you guys (Sikeston)want to just don't ever get back in this one has to be one of the worst tourneys around for the bigger schools.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:14 AM
  • It wouldn't benefit Sikeston at all to get in this tourney..I like that Sikeston goes up north for the St.Dominic tourney to showcase that semo talent..I honestly wish Charleston would get out of it, and maybe get in the PB tourney or any competitive Christmas tourney for that matter..No offense to any of the teams,but the seMissourian hasn't been real competitive in over 20yrs.IMO.It's a great time for change I would love to see a new tournament field..Im sure alot of other fans would like to see this tournament become relevant again..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 10:28 AM
  • Saying that this tournament hasn't been competitive in 20 years is ridiculous. Now, of course the first round or two are blow outs most of the time, but once the top seeds start playing each other there's always major talent on the floor. Think about the SCC teams of the last 6 years, the ND teams besides this year and last, Jackson has had some dominant teams throughout the 2000s, and Cape has been competitive. Don't try to act like Charleston runs the show every year.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • Relevant again? How many state title teams come out of this tournament over the years?

-- Posted by swamie on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 12:00 PM
  • "now of course the first round or two are blow outs most of the time," That is precisely why the tournament needs a tune-up. No one wants to spend 4 bucks to watch Charleston beat Delta by 70. Do the rankings and let the top 8 play each other and bottom 8 play each other. 2 brackets, same format.... Teams would have a little more pairity.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 12:05 PM
  • That's what i mean how does it benefit the bigger schools playing the 1st two rounds against NOOO competion. Go somewhere else and play 3 games against some quality teams.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 12:29 PM
  • That is why I say the rankings ....that way the small school that may be having an exceptional year can move up if they are ranked high enough.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 1:02 PM
  • Yup..I said relevant.Swamie.Cape alum u named 3or4 teams the tourney fields 16..That's not alot of competition(IMO)pretty sure some others here would agree..Never mention Charleston running the show this isn't about Charleston..This tournament used to be "THE Tournament"..Sure you remember the times when the Tournament was great,and you didn't have to wait until the semi-final round to see a good game..I'm just saying I would like to see some change to get the tourney headed back in that direction..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 1:51 PM
  • I wasn't trying to disrespect Charleston, you took my comment a little out of context. I'm actually a huge Charleston fan and always have been, except when they play Cape. The point I was trying to make is that your comment came across as Charleston wins this without any real competition.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 2:24 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: