High School Basketball Forum: SAY WHAT!? Preseason Top 15

Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 7, 2012, at 6:12 PM:

With basketball just a few short weeks away, I just thought we could have a little preseason basketball fun and discuss several area teams. So here are my top 15 teams and why:

1. CHARLESTON BLUEJAYS: Very close with Sikeston, I predict that Sikeston wins the SEMO Conferance match-up, and Charleston wins the regular season one. Charleston gets more regular season wins and therefore takes the top spot. They did lose some key pieces of their state championship team, but they keep a few as well and also had a great JV team. They return probably the best guard in the area in Ryan Parham, along wih Mike Hull, Sumner Foster, and great young players in Delfinko and Robert Bogan, as well as the tall kid with the high top fade (Shandor Webster maybe!? Maybe Charleston fans can help me out if that is who that was). So they take the top spot.

2. SIKESTON BULLDOGS: They got knocked out of the playoffs last year by a team that no longer exists. Yes they did lose several pieces, but they also keep some like Harris, Jones, Gross, Ruffin, and Sheehy. They are always able to find a way to reload on players, and this could be one of the deepest teams they have had. Look for them to run 10 to 11 players deep.

3. KENNETT INDIANS: They return almost everyone, including most of their top scorers in Antavies Drake, Antonio Primer, and one of the top juniors in the area Kevonte Mitchell. They will be in somewhat new territory this year, with them moving up to Class 4. Look for them to possibly pull off an upset against Sikeston in the district championship game.

4. CAPE CENTRAL TIGERS: They did lose a few pieces from a solid team last year. Though they do return Cox who looks to have improved somewhat. This is one team I am unsure of, I think they can be good, but you never know with Cape. It sometimes seems like they do not fulfill their potential, and then sometimes they will pull shocking upsets. They also had some kids move and some not play. So it will be interesting to see how their season goes. I see them pulling off either a Charleston or Sikeston upset.

5. JACKSON INDIANS: I believe this team will have improved over last years team, and they look to be able to go with a very tall line up if they chose to. Not a lot of tall teams in SEMO this year, so that could be an advantage to Jackson.

6. NEW MADRID COUNTY CENTRAL EAGLES: I think this will be a much improved team that has been rebuilding over the past couple to years. Many of their losses were very close, and a few even in overtime. They did not lose a great deal, and they have had a few kids move their this year. They also had a great JV and Sophomore class who should see lots of varisty time. Look for them to be much improved over last year.

7. CARUTHERSVILLE TIGERS: The tigers led by Darrell Monroe, another top junior, should be a good team this year. They did lose Fonda, but return some real good players. They have a few questions for me, they have a brand new head coach, and their JV wasn't the best. So those are some unknows, and why I have ranked them lower than some probably think they should be. I think they will give Charleston a good test for the district title.

8. BERNIE MULES: They return several scorers, and they also had a great JV team. I believe they will be pretty deep this year. They lost to Holcomb in the districts last year. I'm calling it right now, Class 2 District 1 will be the most excting district the area. Whoever comes out of this district, their toughest matchup could be the district title game, it could actually get a little easier from then on out. With Bernie, Portageville, Hayti, Holcomb, and South Pemiscot, this distict is loaded. I predict Bernie to win it.

9. PORTAGEVILLE BULLDOGS: They return one of the areas best guards in Dominique Walker. He will be compliment by Daniel Allen and Dion Foster. I see them giving Bernie the most exciting district championship game.

10. NOTRE DAME BULLDOGS: Made it to the district title game last year. They had some great wins (Cape, Sikeston) and some disappointing losses (NMCC). Somehow they always find a way to be in the mix, I don't see that changing this year.

11. HAYTI INDIANS: They return lots of scoring from their sophomore and juniro class. They got third in the state last year, but I see them not getting out of districts this year due to the strong district.

12. SCOTT COUNTY CENTRAL BRAVES: They will be looking for their 5th straight state championship. They will be led this year by one of the top juniors in Larandis Banks, and also Otto Porter's little brother will be a freshman. How the players they lost will effect them, and how new head coach does will all be huge factors in how SCC's season goes.

13. HOLCOMB HORNETS: They will return a good portion of their scoring, probably lead by Jamie Massey. They beat Hayti twice last year, and barely lost to Portageville. I see them falling victim to the great district they are in.

14. ORAN EAGLES: Made a nice playoff run last year, and I see them winning their district again this year. I think will also win the next game, but then lose to Bernie.

15. SOUTH PEMISCOT BULLDOGS: They will return almost all, if not all, of their entire team this year. They had several very close loses last year, that I see them winning this year. Yet another team that gets eliminated in that great class 2 district 1.

Others recieveing votes: Gideon (I didn't think we had enough bulldogs yet, my as well add one more. This is the year they get over Risco and give SCC a run for their money).

Kelly ( I don't think they lose a single player, should help them somewhat).

Scott City (should be good this year, but rumors are that some of their key players will not play basketball this year. We will have to see how that pans out).

Poplar Bluff (They have been rebuilding some, should be improved over last year).

So Wat Cha'll Thank uh Dat!?

Replies (63)

• I was able to play some ball at Capes open gym this summer. It's definitely going to be Garan Evans and Jamal Cox leading the attack. Cox is going to be a force this year, Central fan aside, he is going to be a beast. He's strong in the post, gets rebounds and finishes with a dunk every time he's under the goal. Garan has been playing varsity for 3 years, he will be looking to get into the lane with his athleticism and score in the paint, not the greatest shooter but can shoot if he's on. I really don't know anything about any other teams, other than some players from Sikeston and King from Jackson. So I don't know how CT will do this year. Depending on how many games the tigers play, I predict the tigers going 18-6 this year.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Wed, Nov 7, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • I think one team you have overlooked Buck is Leopold. They should be really good this year and will challenge SCC for a district championship. Risco lost a lot of good players, but have some good ones coming back so I still think they are the team to beat in their district. Also, I'm not sold on South Pem. Alot of people seem to think they will be really good this year, and they may be right, but right now the jury is still out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Nov 7, 2012, at 10:06 PM

I think the only question for Caruthersville is coaching. Caruthersville's JV were pretty much all Freshman. Our Varsity last year had 5 sophmore's. Also, we had several guys move out of the school district who were big time players for the JV. Elbie was a good defender but very inconsistent on offense. We have two very good guards moving up from JV to Varsity this year to go with Jamal Johnson and Steve Rogers, both who are very good players. Throw in Darrell Monroe and Malik on the inside, that is a pretty strong team. If they respond well to the new coach, they will be a top 5 team, definitely above NMCC. I do think NMCC will surprise some people this year to.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 7, 2012, at 11:06 PM
  • Why no Oak Ridge? They could be very tuff.

-- Posted by swamie on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 6:13 AM
  • CT should be good in the post with cox and a senior who hasn't played basketball since freshmen year because of grades Dixon. The only thing that is scary(which usually is besides curtis branch) is our gaurds. If we get the ball up court consistently against charleston and sikeston, we will be puting up a lot of points and possibly another upset.

-- Posted by CTFan on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 9:20 AM
  • I'd say a bit high on Hayti, Kennett, and SCC. I don't really see Hayti scoring enough to win against Bernie/Portageville/Holcomb/South Pem unless the officials disappear and the game turns into a slugfest, Kennett has talent but will face a whole new challenge in class 4, and SCC looks to finally be back down to earth in terms of talent for now. But thats just a matter of opinion. Good list overall.

-- Posted by No sir on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 9:30 AM
  • I saw Oak Ridge some this summer and they weren't too bad. I saw them play against NMCC over at Dexter in a very close ballgame as they traded blows on the main floor. I look for both of those teams to be improved this year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 9:46 AM
  • I was wondering how long it would be until we heard Curtis Branch's name.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 12:10 PM
  • Curtis is playing college ball this year believe it or not. Not sure where, but I know it's a smaller school.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 1:34 PM
  • This is for Curtis Branch, he's playing at State Fair Community College.

http://www.capetigers.com/DEPARTMENTS/PublicRelations/NewsReleases/April2012/Cur...

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • -- Posted by Soggy Bottom Boy on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:02 PM

Caruthersville, as I stated in earlier, was very tough for me to rank. I'm still not that sure on where they should be. I guess that is why preseason is fun to discuss haha. Cville played NMCC twice last year, and only beat them by 10 each time. With both games being around 4 points late in the fourth quarter, where Cville eventually pulled away. I can't wait to see those two schools match-up, that will be an exciting one! I still see Cville to be Charleston district title challenger.

Preach you may be right on Leopold. I know very little about their team, I haven't even seen them play for the last couple of years. So def could be overlooking them. Where would you place them on this list!? 10-12 range!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 5:01 PM
  • Buck, I would prolly put them Leopold in the 13-15 range. I'm just not as sold on South Pem yet and I also don't think Kelly will be much better than they were last year. As a Hawks alumni, I certainly hope you're right though Buck!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 9:08 PM
  • I seen where Branch wasn't on the roster but he is in the picture and he is still listed on njcaa signing list and it doesn't show him released.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 8:32 AM
  • Believe the hype about South Pem. These juniors and seniors finished second in the conference to Kennett when they were freshman and sophomores. They have a pretty good sophomore class helping them out and they had 2 or 3 really good players that used to go to South Pem that moved back. So this is a team that was going to be a good team that is suddenly one of the deepest and most athletic teams in the bootheel. They don't have a lot of size but they can throw 9-10 athletes at you and they all play hard. South Pem is going to be good.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 8:45 AM
  • I would definitely put Oak Ridge and Leopold in the discussion. Both teams lost one kid, and neither were their best players. Both bring back an All Southeast Missourian player (Stroder for Leopold, and Below for Oak Ridge). They both have a lot of size, shooters, and depth.

They play in probably the toughest class 1 district in the state, which also includes SCC. All three teams will be ranked in their respective top 10 at some point this year.

-- Posted by El Burro on Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • Scott City will be returning starters: Brock, McFall and Sanders.

They are coming off a District Championship and a State Sectional run. They beat your #12 Scott County Central Braves last year and pounded your #14 Oran Eagles by 40 points.

They graduated Cotner and Robert, which will be sorely missed. In addition, Fortner chose not to play.

With that being said, they have several strong players moving up from last years J.V. and should be very competitive.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 4:53 AM
  • I agree SP will be good. Don't really feel they match up well with the other teams in that district though.

-- Posted by No sir on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 9:11 AM
  • Could you look past the fact that you pounded Oran last year and beat SCC for a minute? Both teams couldn't help the fact they didn't have Eli Sample on their team....

Robert and Cotner accounted for more than majority of Scott City's offense last year and I don't see SC replacing each with much this year. SC will have to depend greatly on its size to win games this year. I don't know what strong players your talking about on the JV either. I only saw them play once last year and Oran was up by 45 at the end of the game...

With this all being said, and the sun sets on Cloverdale in SC, I look for SC to be a mediocre class 3 team.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 7:37 PM
  • UFO I'm trying really hard to follow and respect the rules on here and not post any unnecessary negativity. Also I don't want to disrespect any other SC fan because of your classless comments.

I'm not sure why you wanted to call out Oran like that but you do realize this is a new season don't you? And if you were paying attention last year you would have realized that we were a completely different team in the second half of the season. We bring back all of our talent from last year with the addition of players from one of the areas top JV teams.

So with all this and that being said I think the man's pre-season top 15 wasn't too bad, maybe SCC and Kennett are over ranked a bit and of course Leopold should be in it. We'll find out soon enough! Good luck to your Rams.

-- Posted by jrob5352 on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 9:16 PM
  • idk how advance isn't mentioned.. they are about even or a slight step below Oran.. have Ethan Barr and Lane Below.. nice 1-2 inside out punch

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 11:38 PM
  • I agree with "no Sir". This may be a rebuilding year for SCC.

The Stroder kid from Leopold is a stud. I look for them to be very competitive.

The top 10 on this list looks about right. Charleston and the bigger schools in the area always seem to reload.

Should be a fun season.

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 12:28 AM
  • Unc...SC doesn't have alot of size this year....Brock at 6'5" and McFall at 6'2". I do agree with you however that SC was very one dimensional last year and our JV was very weak. The Juniors have grown though and they will bring good things to our varsity team. As far as not being able to replace Cotner and Robert you may be right. Its hard to replace an all state player and a very good shooting guard but I hope you'll be surprised by the improvements of Brock, Sanders and McFall.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 9:06 AM

It should be another great year for basketball in Southeast MO, can't wait!!!

-- Posted by Dr. D on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:06 AM
  • I agree that Advance and Scott City will both fair well.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 3:38 PM
  • Uncle Charlie,

Oran put it to us for several years with that Morrow kid. Just getting it in while I can.

I believe Oran will have excellent guard play and be tough to beat this season. I also agree that Advance should be very competitive, as well.

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 6:22 PM
  • IMO, it will be hard to find 2 better guards on the same team than Oran's Moore and Ressel.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 8:40 AM
  • Don't forget that Jackson put a 15 point win over Sikeston this summer at Dexter. No, Sikeston was not missing any players. I know it was just the summer, but Sikeston has no size, unlike the quicker than usual Jackson team.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:23 PM

Sikeston doesn't have size, traditionally. It doesn't stop them from winning. Their 30-0 squad definitely didn't. Their 23-5 team last year didn't.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:34 PM

They haven't really had any size since Michael Porter, but it doesn't affect them. They do just fine. I haven't even seen a sikeston dunk in a game since Porter. Hollifield just uses a system that works just fine with the size they have, and won with it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 3:12 PM

Size doens't matter. Look at Charleston last year. Not one big guy but won it all.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 3:15 PM
  • Size does matter...If you look at Central about 5 years ago, maybe 6 when they had Bell, Walker, Watts, and Nolen. These 4 guards could match up against any team in SEMO that year. The reason they weren't very successful was because they didn't have big man. They would beat the good teams with good guards, but if they had to face a good team with a big man (like jackson that time with Spencer and Red head) they lost because they were dominated down low. In class 5 you cannot beat the powerhouses with no big men. You can win state in class 1-4 but if you want to beat the big boys you have to have some.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 3:31 PM

That's what she said!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 4:15 PM
  • Why is it that Sikeston never has size? You would think a school of that size with all the athleticism walking around there would be somebody tall that could play.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 4:29 PM
  • They have a 9th grader that's tall if he's playing I keep hearing conflicting stories on that. He's on the 9 th grade team I think won't know for sure until I go to the game tomorrow. They had a 6'4 guy try out I think that didn't make the team. Or he was 6'6. I was told

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 6:19 PM

In my opinion SHS is a die hard football. Basketball reall took off over past few years of course when the basketball name Porters moved to town.The last few teams have had die hard basketball parents who had their sons in various camps in Mizzou,Arkansas ,even Carolina. Had players playing with Charlestons AAU team that won nationals. It's easy to be a fan when a town is winning.Holifield got something's goin in the summer true but it still leads back to the parents who had their boys on the court every chance they could.I don't think that SHS will run 10 deep as the state team did.. Alot of area teams have shown vast improvement. So the challenge will be on the targeted bulldogs..

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 6:48 PM

Yea TFA Cedric might b playing at SCC that's were his family is

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 7:10 PM
  • He's still at Sokeston my son seen him. I know he made the team then I heard he quit then I heard he didn't

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 7:22 PM
  • Sikeston oops

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 7:23 PM

Ok good deal.. What's the score in blytheville

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 7:41 PM
  • 79-34 guess they for sure know team ball. Way to go guys!

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 8:43 PM
  • He's on the team. He was at Blytheville tonight and played JV. To my knowledge he has no family at all at SCC. As for why no height in Sikeston....not sure how to answer that other than there just ain't many tall people in Sikeston period. Tall parents have tall kids, who have tall kids, who have tall kids. Sikeston has never been a town with an abundance of tall people for whatever reason. But they make it work.

Sure, having height is a luxury sometimes, but I disagree that it is a necessity as Sikeston has routinely demonstrated and Charleston has demonstrated the past couple years. And I disagree with the comment that you have to have it in Class 5. Sikeston went to the final 4 in Class 4A (same as Class 5) in 1995 with not much height. I've seen plenty of teams make runs at state in Class 5. How about Troy a couple years back with barely anybody over 6-2? Sikeston toppled several much bigger teams in Class 5, including Wentzville Holt who was enormous. So no, you don't HAVE to have height to win. But it is a nice luxury to have.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 10:00 PM
  • Sikeston is good because of hard *** work by Coach Holifield and his boys! Holifield deserves credit...

Stl, leave this years team alone! We don't need fans like you.

Everyone is sick of reading your posts.

Great win dogs!

-- Posted by Winner11 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 11:22 PM
  • Stl,

Let the team enjoy a win. After every win you have something to say that is negative or questions the team.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 11:28 PM

stl, do as you please and send one big middle finger to everyone else...

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 1:56 AM

I said what I had to say before the game. I do believe I said Holifield has the young men playing during the summer. At the end of the day parents still play the biggest role in Gettin their children started in sports of any kind.I can say what I want it's a forum.Its just the beginning of your whining about what I say. Im not your friend thus everything I say has to be taken out of context. I said plenty of times that SHS has a good ball club. The minute I say they will lose to CHS in the confersnce in a close one or another team then I have to be a hater.I'f I speak about the zone,I'm not a coach. You should be tired by now because at the end of the day the only opinion that counts is.... Exactly... SHS had a tune up game tonight an another one Friday when they play Dexter. It will be great to see what happens next week on Friday.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 4:30 AM

I said what I had to say before the game. I do believe I said Holifield has the young men playing during the summer. At the end of the day parents still play the biggest role in Gettin their children started in sports of any kind.I can say what I want it's a forum.Its just the beginning of your whining about what I say. Im not your friend thus everything I say has to be taken out of context. I said plenty of times that SHS has a good ball club. The minute I say they will lose to CHS in the confersnce in a close one or another team then I have to be a hater.I'f I speak about the zone,I'm not a coach. You should be tired by now because at the end of the day the only opinion that counts is.... Exactly... SHS had a tune up game tonight an another one Friday when they play Dexter. It will be great to see what happens next week on Friday.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 4:30 AM
  • I haven't heard him say anything negative lighten up.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 6:39 AM
  • stl has never wanted to give Holifield credit. Some personal conflict. Parents play a big role in getting their kids to the gym and interest and all that. No doubt that sacrifices are made with dropping off, picking up late nights and so on and so forth. We have all been there. As a parent I give the coaches and players most of the kudos. They are the reason the team works as hard as they do and it shows on the court. The players would run through a wall for Holifield. Thats why they are relentless on the court. They are respected by officials for their behavior on the court and that is a direct reflection of the coaches expectations and their upbringing. Some aren't as lucky as others, but when they play for Holifield they are engrained how to behave and show respect. Naysayers are always going to find negatives, not anything new. Sikeston is and should be proud of the product being put out every night on the court.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 8:18 AM
  • I agree 100% with barkley and hoops. Sikeston just doesn't have tall kids. I don't know why either. But...they are not a NECESSITY. Last year, Sikeston came within 1 point of a final four appearance and didn't have a dunk! They are Class 4! How many teams can say that....especially in Class 4?? Also, the props do go to the kids and coaches. Yes, the parents make sacrifices, but the coaches and players "get it done."

In regard to Sikeston not being 10 deep...well, 10 played last night in the first half. That's not counting the other 5 that played during mop up time. Sikeston is 10 deep....period. JT didn't play much during the first half due to foul trouble. Depth is definitely a strength. To say otherwise is not looking at the team objectively.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:01 AM

I HAVENT SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT HOLIFIELD.IF SOMEONE DOESNT JUMP ON BOARD WITH YOUR VIEW THEN THEY ARE DEEMED A HATER.IM NOT SO SHALLOW MINDED THAT I CANT SEE THAT IT TAKES A COACH TO DO CERTAIN THINGS.IT ALSO HELPS WHEN YOUHAVE KIDS THAT COME IN WITH A KNOW HOW OF THE GAME THUS MAKING THE JOB A LITTLE EASIER.WHEN SHS WAS 8-12 OR 10-10 DOES THAT MEAN THE COACH WASNT DOING A GOOD JOB. NO IT MEANS THAT MAYBE THE GROUP OF BOYS HAD A TALENT.IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERANCE WHEN YOU HAVE 10 TALENT PLAYERS AS OPPOSED TO 2.IM NOT A SIKESTON NATIVE SO NO I DONT BLEED RED AND BLACK. BEING IN THE AREA I HAVE COME TO ENJOY THE PLAY OF THE KIDS ALL AROUND. NOT JUST SHS.I LOVE WHAT OTTO PORTER IS DOING AT THE NEXT LEVEL. COLEMAN AND JAMISON ARE UNDEAFTED THIS YEAR THUS FAR A SHAWNEE AND OR PLAYING MOST OF THE GAME FROM WHAT I HEAR. TISDALE IS DOIN GOOD AT JOHN WOODS.I COULD GO ON. POSTERS NEED TO GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TRYING TO BLAST SOMEBODY. YEA I KNOW CAPS ON.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:04 AM
  • I don't know if what you posted on this thread is so awful, but rather the previous 100 posts you've made that people remember.

But to touch on this subject. Consider this for a moment. What if some fan comes on and says, "McFerren has done an alright job at Charleston, but it's the parents that got those kids ready for his program. Without their hard work, McFerren wouldn't have much of a team. At the end of the day, he's just using talent that's been developed for him. Anybody can win when they have talented players.".......or insert Cookson and Scott Central in this same scenario.

Do you think that perhaps fans of those programs and those coaches might be a bit irked by that comment?

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:17 AM
  • It seems to me that all over the world their are kids and parents that give their time and money to give their kids every opportunity to become better players regardless of the sport through summer camps ( money makers ), AAU, hitting clinics, you name it.Only on rare occasions does it all come together under the leadership of great coaching and result in an outstanding program. It seems to this old man that Holifield has built a program through the years that should make all Sikestonians proud.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:33 AM

Most to all Sikeston fans are very proud of the job that Holifield has done BKM. He's the best basketball coach Sikeston has had. You're always going to have a few party poopers no matter what fanbase it is. That's just the way it is. By the look of Sikeston last night, it should be another enjoyable season for the fanbase.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM
  • I think the fans make the program. The players, coaches and parents have nothing to do with it. And the administrators and officials. And MSHSAA. That is all.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM
  • I believe it is the coaches job to develop a good system of basketball in which the players can play in most effectively.

However, when the game is played, it is up to the players to be able to handle the ball, score the ball, play good defense...etc. Gaining the ability to be great at all those things consistently is developed through habit, that is summers of countless games, days with countless shots, countless drills.

My philosophy in basketball is that the more you play, the better you become at the sport. Parents have a big part in this. If a person plays enough ball in grade school and junior high they may find it unnecessary for AAU ball, other than getting looks from recruits.

As far as the fans, its a "what have you done for me lately" deal. You win state championships=fan base has stuck with you through thick and thin. You have a losing season=its the coaches or the players faults and those fans stop supporting.

I will say this, 25 percent of winning is based on the coach to put his players in position to win. 75 percent is on the players and that is based on skill, preperation, and execution.

-- Posted by 24/7 champ on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 11:32 AM
  • Hayti will be good

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:31 PM
  • Hayti doesn't have to score when you can play D like they do....should have been state champions last year but the refs took away their agressiveness by calling tickytac fouls and they could not adjust

fyi that kid Mitchell from kennett is D1 material he has it all i love watching him play

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:35 PM

Didn't Hayti lose to Gosnell last night?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:40 PM
  • Yes, they lost.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:40 PM
  • Giving up 81 to Gosnell was really playing that D, I guess.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:44 PM

You and I are on the same wavelength sm0723.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 12:46 PM

I agree semohoops.Nobody is gonna agree with what a coach says 100% of the time.I have a problem when men disagree with you by calling you childish names.Some would call that bullying and should be punished. Thats a joke.Im not gonna beat a dead horse.Im gonna sit eat my popcorn and enjoy basketball season.Like I said earlier best of luck to the bootheel teams..Im happy to see that Day of New Madrid is having a promising year they may just shake up a few things in the conferance next week

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 2:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: