High School Basketball Forum: Early Class 4 Talk for 2012-2013

Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 4:41 PM:

This is mainly for nimbus and Scott1130 who have a pulse on the rest of the state and tend to be unbiased, how is the rest of the state looking in Class 4? We know how Sikeston, Notre Dame, and Kennett (the three big Class 4 teams of the area) look but other than Imagine, who else is going to be stacked next season? Haven't heard of too many teams since a lot of them like Soldan and Hillcrest (who is going back to Class 5) were built to win this season then regress. Could Sikeston, ND, and Kennett all potentially be Top Ten teams? Anything you all could give would be appreciated.

Replies (113)

• I don't see Notre Dame even being in the conversation for Top Ten teams. Then again, I could be wrong.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 5:16 PM
  • I agree ND started all Seniors didnt they. Sikeston should be very good.

-- Posted by objective fan on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 5:19 PM
  • I don't about ALL seniors, but several. They lose a LOT.

Yeah scott, that sounds like some tough teams making the transition into Class 4. Not to mention Borgia always being tough, as well as some St. Louis or KC school who seems to pop up every year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 5:24 PM

So Scott, early estimation, is Sikeston #1, top three, top five, top ten, or none of the above?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 5:29 PM

Agreed. Can't get too in-depth right now which is why I asked such a direct question on Sikeston. In Memphis to watch the Lakers play. I can go more in-depth later.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 5:36 PM

Completely off subject but that Kobe dunk right before half was epic especially when you're seven rows behind that backboard.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 8:21 PM
  • I will never expect ND to be even the slightest down. Nobody expected them to be any good at all this year, but they came out and were a contender. They work too hard and play the game with too much enthusiasm to be counted out. I'm not saying that anybody thinks they won't compete, I'm just making this statement early.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • Scott if imagine does close where do you see those players going?

I heard payne was from maplewood, and baker from miller career.

But as for sikeston next year I think they'll have what it takes to make a run for it all.

Losing the seniors will obviously be a huge impact, but V, JT, and Markieth will be a good group to build around. I'd put chord at the 2 and Zach Jackson at the 4.

And they'll be pretty deep next year, and the year after that should be another great group. Next year a lot of players will be gaining a lot of varsity expierence, but they'll be just fine.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:30 PM

Great Lakers game tonight. Super fun.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:22 PM
  • Nobody asked about Dexter, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. I look for Dexter to run a three guard offense next season with Chase Young, Cody Neldon, and D.J. Dowdy. Chase's brother Chandler will be a freshman next year and will probably play a lot of varsity minutes. He'll bring some needed size to the middle. He has the potential to be an outstanding player. Sadly, it looks like out top JV prospect from this season is moving to Oklahoma. If not, he'll also probably start next season and also bring some size in the paint. But Tyler Miller and Jake Lee are going to hard to replace. A three-guard set will be really different for the Bearcats and I have no idea how it will work out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:32 PM

In terms of talent alone, ND will be loaded. But it will be young talent. You never know how that'll turn out until you actually see it in play.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 6:57 AM

I'm in the camp of "You can't count out ND". Everybody knows I don't think that Roberts is the best ever but that team always is conditioned and knows their strengths and weaknesses. I can see Sikeston competing for state again but it would be helpful if Imagine moved out of our corner of the bracket. DeSoto will be down with their two SEMO players gone though I think Patzner is coming back. Hogan Prep will be interesting to keep tabs on in Class 4 and Bayless and Kennett being added may be what was needed to move Imagine to District 5 although Farmington also moved up out of this quarter. Related question: now that the team he has grown and nurtured at Soldan is gone, how much longer until Justin Tatum pursues one of the high profile private jobs in the area? DeSmet fans seem to want their coach gone. It's going to be interesting over the next few months to follow all of these stories.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 11:46 AM

Also, if Kennett moves up to Class 4 as it seems, will ND add them to the schedule? That's a game that I would have liked to see as a fan the last couple of years.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 11:47 AM
  • It will be interesting what kind of district restructuring there will be with the addition of Kennett. Sikeston/Dexter were the southermost Class 4 teams, but now with Kennett, you're talking about a very large gap between Kennett and the northermost team, Ste. Genevieve. I would love to see the district expanded to 8 teams, but not sure if it is logistical with the mileage between the towns. Sikeston always seems to be stuck with fewer games than everybody. Last year Sikeston went 30-0....Charleston, for example, is 29-2 with two games left to play so they will have 33 games. It helps having the 4-game Christmas tourney and the extra game in district play.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:13 PM
  • Kennett to class 4 in basketball. Will this put Kennett back in the SEMO confrence? Dont know to be mad ,happy or what just yet.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:19 PM

Hoops, with Farmington moving to Class 5, I'd guess that either Ste. Genevieve or Fredericktown may move into District 2. Also, Bayless is moving up so that may turn that five team district into a six team district (not sure on the location of Bayless).

Mule, I'd guess Kennett would stay in the Bootheel Conference. The SEMO Conference seems set at eight, works for the tournament, isn't too big but not small either. And all teams are kind of close to each other. It would be tough for Kennett to have to add three games traveling to the Cape/Jackson area or for those teams to do the hour and a half travel down each year. I'd guess the Indians would add ND and maybe Perryville to their schedule. If they don't play Dexter in the regular season (I know they can potentially play in the Bloomfield tourney), they'd maybe add them too.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:29 PM

Bayless is located in the southern portion of St Louis...I think you exit I55 around the Meramac Bottoms Road exit

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:53 PM

In the old Northern Conference in football, Perryville was the northernmost team with Kennett being the southernmost team, so it's not like they haven't done it before. Long drive, but at least it's interstate most of the way.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:56 PM
  • Kennett and Dexter do play in the regular season, Sideline.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 12:57 PM

I wasn't sure Preach. Thanks. Birdfan, I'm not saying they don't want to do it. It just kind of sucks for those schools to do the two hour drive. I can see them adding ND and Perryville since they will be fellow district teams. I don't know if they'd want to add those two plus Cape and Jackson. I'd just hate to add four games over an hour and a half away each. I know they wouldn't play all four away each year but still. If they do, cool. I'd like to see Kennett do the necessary steps to become a legitimate upper tier team in the area like they have made strides to the last couple of years.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:06 PM
  • I'm sure all schools feel the pinch with rising gas prices, so traveling to Perryville from Kennett in 1960, or even 2000, wasn't a big deal. But now a bus ride that distance would be quite pricey.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:23 PM

Now, semohoops....those gas prices are going to drop like a rock; at least, that's what some of the presidential candidates are telling us will happen if they are elected ;-)

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:32 PM

60 additional miles, one way, than a trip to Sikeston....120 total additional miles; assuming the bus gets 6 mpg (hope it gets better than that) and if gas/diesel is $4/gallon, that adds $160 to the trip for fuel.....for one game per season, can't see it being a deal breaker

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:36 PM

I'd just hate to add all these extra long trips because they kind of suck in general. Not just the cost. At least they would be quality teams though.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • I'm with you on that birdfan. I just know how these schools operate and they cut costs at all cost. Or at most they strongly discourage it.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 2:33 PM
  • Has anyone heard that Cape Central will be in the same class as ND next year?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:33 PM

Re Bayless....I was too far south

Is that a predominantly ethnic neighborhood?

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 5:55 PM

When they played Charleston in last year's quarterfinals, they appeared to have some returning talent for this year, particularly the big boy that was a freshman, last year; he was a load!!! The coach's son, Triplett, was a decent player, as well.

I was quite surprised when I saw how many games they'd lost and by such margins. Maybe the loss of the big boy's older brother created a void that they couldn't overcome; he was their floor leader and fairly decent from beyond the arc.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 6:18 PM

Anybody know when new districts come out?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 12:02 AM

http://www.ihigh.com/mustangroundball/video_905765.html (around the 18 minute mark)

Attached is a video by the head coach at Marquette... He interviews MSHSAA Director about the new district info and he says "still waiting on some information from a few KC and STL schools that might be shutting down" and that they would like to have the districts set by first of April.

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 3:11 AM
  • kennett added notre dame and dropped scc for next years schedule so should help with the transition to class 4.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:58 AM
  • I know the girls dropped scc , the boys may not have.big changes ahead with kennett going to class 4 and Heeb going to senath- hornersville so the bootheel conf. will still be competitive if kennett has to stay in it!

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 1:27 PM
  • If they don't stay in the bootheel conf. what conf. would they go to. I don't think the Semo conf. needs another team in it. Not saying they wouldn't let them in it but i doubt they would.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 2:06 PM
  • Thats it, there is really nowhere to go but kennett already catches crap for playing some smaller schools in the bhc. I can only imagine what will be said if they go to class 4 and play some class 2 schools, I think its just gonna have to play itself out.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 10:00 PM

Maybe the Semo Conference should add 2 teams?

Why not invite Kennett and Caruthersville back to the conference and watch this conference get even better?

Sikeston

ND

Charleston

NMCC

Poplar Bluff

Dexter

Jackson

Cape Girardeau

Kennett

Caruthersville

Pretty nice match-ups over the next few years.

JONES SHS, Monroe C-ville, Cox Cape, King Jackson, Parham Charleston and I am sure some others. Would be a gym full of fast, up tempo and VERY ATHLETIC teams.

Just throwing this out there for the HECK OF IT!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:09 PM
  • I would say Sikeston as always is the Class 4 team to beat next year...should be preseason #1!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:11 PM

How does Logan-Rogersville stack up for next year? Helias? Borgia? Teams that almost got over the hump this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 9:09 AM

I would love for Caruthersville to be added! I love my team playing good competition, win or lose! It can only help them get better!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 9:16 AM

Agreed Cheese but at what point does a conference get too big?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 9:44 AM
  • Kennett got out of the Semo conference when Vaughn took the job didnt they? I don't see them getting back in just because they are class 4.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 10:05 AM

Why did they leave the conference originally? Anybody know?

Also, Sikeston looked good at the spring MAYB practice I attended last week. A lot of the kids that will get time next year on varsity were there working on their game. I thoroughly enjoy the dedication these kids have to the sport and to trying to get that state title next year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 12:18 PM

I'm not saying they should be added, I agree, don't need too many teams in a conference. I was just pointing out I'd love for my team to go back to that conference.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 12:26 PM
  • Will Sikeston still play Caruthersville with Heeb no longer being there?

-- Posted by semofan01 on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 3:11 PM

I haven't heard anything about dropping Caruthersville but I know that it was originally just one game at each place. I'd hope with how good their talent should be that we keep them on the schedule.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 3:21 PM

I think Caruthersville will work something out and keep playing Sikeston. Our boys love playing the very best out there and Sikeston is one of the best! Was told that Heeb's assistant at Cville, Lamont Bell might be in line for the job at Cville! Is so, I think they will pick up where they left off. He done great work Imo.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 3:38 PM

I've enjoyed the Sikeston-Caruthersville games of the last two years especially the game in Caruthersville. One of the highlights for me last season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 3:41 PM

Me to Sideline. Seems my Tigers really get's up for games like that! Hopefully it continues.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Mar 19, 2012, at 3:43 PM

Found an article confirming that Sikeston and Maplewood are on each other's schedules for the next two years. It isn't the focal point but the main story is interesting and makes the Valley Park coach seem a bit petty.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/maplewood-boys-hoops-...

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 9:18 AM
  • Sikeston's non-conference schedule this past year was Imagine Prep, Fredericktown, DeSoto, Perryville, Ste. Genevieve, Bernie, Kennett, Caruthersville, St. Dominic Christmas tourney, Blytheville, Valley View, Ark (which was supposed to be Clarksville, but they cancelled). Yeah those teams all suck don't they He hate me? Ste. Gen is the only team among those that I would say wasn't real competitive this year and they won't be on the schedule next year. They were a district opponent and most schools try to schedule district teams if you can. You clearly don't have any idea what you are talking about. However, I'm glad to see you didn't take off until next basketball season like you said you were going to do. I knew we could lure you back in. It's like taking candy from a baby.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 4:04 PM
  • Hard to blame Kennett and Cville for getting out of the SEMO conference. It is a long drive for both of them to play many of these schools like Cape, Jackson, and Bluff. On top of that neither program has ever really been a "basketball program" either so really they were making these long drives to get killed year after year. I remember right before Cville pulled out they lost games by 80-90 points. Kennett was never that bad but they also took some big losses over the years. I don't see Kennett getting back in.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 12:28 PM
  • Yeah, that semissourian xmas tourney sure is brutal.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:07 PM
  • Sikeston's schedule seems to be working fine for them. I'm sure Holifield knows a little more about his team and who they need to play a little more than you. It's not about entertaining you, it's about putting your team in a position to be the best they can be by district tournament time and Sikeston always does that. Every single year. That's all you can ask.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 9:52 PM

Things that have zero to do with Class 4: Charleston, their schedule, and how blujay pride 92 did in basketball twenty years ago. Another thread ruined.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 10:32 PM
  • We have doors on our classrooms though

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 11:12 PM
  • He Hate Me, we will play sikeston next season at their place and they will come to us the following year. I always try to get back home to play. This is my son's final year at MRH and we look to play a few of his friends from back home and give my guys a taste of bootheel basketball. Dropping out of conference freed up 10 games for us. I would love to get my alma mater up here to visit MRH. Depends on if they have a vacancy on their schedule. So if your reading CHS, come visit your alumni school here in STL. Would love to host the Class 3 2012 state champs.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:35 AM

CHS2MRH, we are glad to finally get you guys on the schedule for a home-and-home. Heard a lot of good things about how your team is looking next year.

Hate, let me know when you plan on talking about something relevant at all to this thread.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 8:53 AM

Fishermanjohn is an idiot no matter what color his skin!!!!!

I will take a week ban for saying that, IF NEEDED... Cause I think EVERYONE was thinking it!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • For the last time, fishermanjohn, and I do mean the last time: Scott1130 was NOT suspended for anything related to his position on Charleston athletics. He can continue to believe that the Bluejays aren't good for all of eternity and say so here, so long as he doesn't personally attack anyone or break other rules. Of course, other people are still free to call him crazy.

To be clear: Scott1130 was suspended for attempting to identify another poster. It's a very clear rule that, if violated, results in suspension. Period. Stop trying to make it about anything else. It's not.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • Our game date with Sikeston will be Jan. 11 at Sikeston 5:30JV and Varsity 7pm. @Sideline, its always good for me to get back home to play. Especially against my rivalry. Looking forward to it.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 12:50 PM

If my information is right and things fall as they look, I'd guess that Class 4 District 1 would be Sikeston, Cape Central, Notre Dame, Kennett, Perryville, and Dexter. Four teams that have competed well in their respective classes in districts in the last three years all come together. It's going to be loaded this cycle.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 2:59 PM
  • Is Cape moving down to 4A next year?

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 4:15 PM
  • Perryville will be awful. With a Capital A-W-F-U and L lost all seniors. Had one junior on the team who was average at best on Jv. There is a reason Roth resigned as coach

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 5:06 PM
  • OK Sideline you're confusing me on this post HA!...I assume this is Class 4 for basketball and Class 5 for football for Cape?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 5:13 PM

Cape will be Class 4 for both bulletman. Check MSHSAA's basketball breakdowns and where their enrollment is. They are both on their website.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 6:35 PM
  • Thanks Sideline...Sometimetimes I a little slow!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 8:56 PM

You're good man. We all have our moments. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 9:07 PM

I guess it will be a liitle more interesting.I cant see how Kennet can compete in Class 4 win they didnt do so well in 3.I know its about school size and zoning...

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Mar 31, 2012, at 10:16 PM

For girls basketball, it'll be interesting to see the shift of dynamics now that the very good Kennett girls will be in there with Dexter and Notre Dame. On guys side, I hate to say it but I feel like Notre Dame is the four seed in this district at the moment. Sikeston, Cape Central, Kennett, ND, Perryville, Dexter would be my early power rankings.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 12:25 PM
  • Kennett and Cape Central return the most players for next year. Cape loses Tisdell and a couple other decent players. Sikeston loses four starters. Notre Dame loses a ton. Kennett returns all but one or two players, so they could be a darkhorse. Perryville loses everything.

Obviously we don't know the district setup yet. Fredericktown could still be around, but they lost their 6'8" monster.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 12:34 PM
  • Two years in a row Sikeston loses 4 starters....Can they reload again? Any comments?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 12:36 PM

Yeah ND is a year away from being really good, they will still compete this year though. What all is Central returning? They lost to ND last year twice, I think at least, and lost a REALLY good player in Tisdale. Who do they have filling in?

My early ranking would be Sikeston, CT, ND, Kennett, Dexter, P'ville

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 1:37 PM
  • chuck...I think they will reload. I have confidence in the "system" and the players. I also heard they are now working with a hoops guru in the spring to aid in their improvement.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 1:39 PM

Kobeyashi, Cape has Jamal Cox and Tim Booker returning as well as a good junior varsity moving up. Kennett has Kevonte Mitchell who will continue to be a top player as a junior and I believe there will be some talent around him, just don't know many names. Mule1993, squawdad, or one of the other Kennett regulars would be able to go into more detail.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 1:51 PM

For Chuck and Jupiter Head, I'm excited for this year's Sikeston team. I'm not going to make any bold predictions but Springball has been going excellent so far due to the great work by all the assistant coaches who help out. The head coach? Ehh...I guess every program has a weak link. But seriously, there's a lot of time being put in by a surprisingly high number of kids and adults to help keep these kids in shape and continuing to enjoy the sport. They've won against a few good teams so far and I think the offense next year is going to be awesome. The defense is a bit of a question mark for me but it isn't that I am doubting it. It is just harder to quantify, especially in the spring. I'm excited to continue keeping up to date on it. There's a lot of kids that people are going to learn the names of quickly this season and I know of at least three JV players and a kid who didn't play last year who will all be impact players in the area.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 2:06 PM
  • I heard that hoops guru coached Sikeston up to a convincing win at Dyer County this weekend, and that was WITHOUT all-state guard Vashawn Ruffin. When is Sikeston going to hire this guy? He's like John Wooden out there.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 2:24 PM

AND, he mows his OWN yard! we got a 21st century renaissance man on our hands here fellas.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 2:35 PM
  • hoops...I heard that Wooden couldn't hold a candle to this guy!!

Buck....definitely a renaissance man!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 3:47 PM
  • Kobeyashi , kennett will loose the grantham kid, and a 6'5 kid that did not play much, lockhert who was a backup guard and wallace who rotated in at forward. They will return both starting guards ,and primer a 6'3 big body post , and taylor a 6'3 big body post and some decent underclassmen coming up. I have heard some talk of two move in kids, one a 6'5 and the other a 6'2 , both are very athletic but so far just talk , has not happened yet. so I think we will be decent or better but still gonna be a big challenge for the program in class 4. I just hope we are respectable the first year up.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 3:50 PM
  • his head is swelling to gigantic proportions as we speak. I'm sure mowing is his thinking stage. Just think, all theses coaches go to clinics to tweak their philosophies, when all they really need to do is get on the mower and basketballs start swishing.....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Apr 3, 2012, at 6:08 AM
  • All they had to do is ask. I could have saved them money and time! Haha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Apr 3, 2012, at 9:47 AM

Found out on STL Today via Rocket that the charter for the Imagine Prep schools has been revoked meaning they will be shut down. Things just got a lot more interesting.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Apr 17, 2012, at 3:30 PM
  • There are a lot of St. Louis area coaches salivating at this point.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 17, 2012, at 4:15 PM

Yea I bet Soladan is in the top running for that spot.Graduating 7 seniors they will need the power house of Payne.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Apr 17, 2012, at 6:40 PM

Any word on the Shawnee Showcase this weekend.Are any unsigned players attending from our semo area.Cost is 40.00 pre game or 50.00 at the door.They say they scout about 70 schools looking for talented players.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Apr 17, 2012, at 6:42 PM

Looking at the rotation provided SHS wins districts an sectionals wouldn't they meet their arch rival in Borgia.. That since SHS only beat them once in a lifetime having 10 players playing and a stellar performance from Cory Porter in that win.. I would think that SHS run for state would b cut short..U can guarantee in the somewhat disappointing season Borgia had they are gonna recruit recruit recruit.Since the past years SHS match up zone versus 3 never worked until Last year.. Of course.. But that was with the circumstances that I stated earlier on the win I jus don't see the SHS boys having that dominating force. Yes Ruffin will score JT will score when he is clicking on all cylinders... Will it be enough.. Guess I will see...

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Apr 19, 2012, at 9:00 PM
  • Optimism.......

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 6:16 AM

If today's YMCA Springtime Classic is any indication of how Sikeston will play this next year...they have a lot of work to do!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Apr 21, 2012, at 9:41 PM

U saw that too catfish..Well Ruffin is playing in ST Louis.And I think too stay in shape Coleman and Jamison came from the Shawnee showcase and helped with the second game and they won lol..The younger guys are gonna have to get better.Hopefully with workin hard they will improve over the summer..

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sun, Apr 22, 2012, at 12:01 PM

Stlfan, got to admit I was somewhat taken back when they lost that first game by 30, and yes they won the second by 6 with Jamison and Coleman's help, but semo magic team did not play that game with one of their key players.

With all that being said, Sikeston looked a whole lot better than Poplar Bluff!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sun, Apr 22, 2012, at 6:08 PM
  • Just FYI Coleman did not play in any of the games. Yes he was there but he was there as a fan within the crowd. Yes Terry played. Also, there was several varsity players from Sikeston that didn't even play in the tournament. Either from baseball, track or a kid playing on another basketball team in STL.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sun, Apr 22, 2012, at 9:33 PM

Well I did say they were short handed.My mistake on Coleman.We all know that summer ball is just that summer ball.You have kids working,some doin other sports,some taking vacations,etc.So I absolutely understand you cant get a real feel in how they will be start of season.I do think that its great that Coach Sparks out of Shawnee College like what he saw in Coleman and Jamison to ask then to come work out with him and his squad over the summer.It looks like they are already full with alot of SO and FR from last years squads but all in all I think it will help them stay in condition and get some valuable pointers from a college stand point.Im not sure if the kid from Portageville will go are not.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 6:47 AM

D

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 8:00 AM

The Bluejays will be back in Columbia!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 8:08 AM
  • catfish....you do realize that the SEMO Magic team is not a school team. They have several seniors and have kids from all over SEMO. Sikeston was missing Ruffin and some other kids. I think you may be reading a little too much into that game. Sikeston went to the quarters last year and was one point away from going to the final four......and lost to the SEMO Magic twice last year. Not taking anything away from the Magic...they are very good.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 8:36 AM
  • I don't get too high or low in summer ball. I just think it's great that they are in the gym and working hard. The fact that Sikeston has a long way to go is not hard to predict. They lost four very important seniors. There are no doubt going to be some growing pains and learning experiences. This is a chance to do that. Sikeston will have a young team next year in terms of returning experience, but I still like the team's potential very much.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 8:50 AM
  • Agreed, hoops. If this team develops like they can, I like their chances as well.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 9:22 AM

Who did sikeston lose to saturday!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:12 AM
  • Sikeston lost to the SEMO Magic team this past Saturday.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:20 AM
  • Hey Rocket, thanks again for letting us come by the way.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:26 AM

Okay gotcha. Is that the team that has a lot of bootheel players on it like hayti, Malden, portageville, Kennett!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • Thanks for coming. We are glad you came. Hopefully next year we will have many more teams. We are going to try to do a few different things to get some teams there.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • I'm not sure about Malden, but I know they have some kids from Kennett, Richland, Portageville, Holcomb, Doniphan, and Risco. I'm sure there are other schools, but I don't know many of their kids. I know they have some seniors just not sure of the number....maybe 4-7.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:40 AM
  • In the first game against you guys, we had 3 seniors and 6 juniors. Then after couple guys having to leave for prom and couple kids showing up late. I had 5 seniors and 6 juniors in the final game.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:45 AM

Okay thanks! I thought that was the team. Did sikeston have two teams playing Saturday!? Like an older and younger one or something!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 10:45 AM
  • Thanks, smo. I wasn't for sure of your exact numbers. In the first game, we had no seniors, 2 juniors, 6 sophomores, and 3 freshmen.

Yes, Buck...we had a 7/8 group playing as well.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 11:02 AM
  • ^^^7/8 GRADE group....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 11:03 AM
  • They have two or three 6th graders on that team too. I really like the potential of some of those younger guys. It's good experience for them to play against bigger, older kids

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 11:20 AM
  • I have been incredibly impressed with the play of Corbin Blissett during this summer ball season. I also expect Chris Scott and Reese Porter to contribute quite a bit next year as well. Dontrelle Brown and Jeterrence Harris are starting to fill some roles. Reese Porter has stepped up and is playing very strong right now. Markeith and JT are leading the team.

Jordan Pavy needs to move to Sikeston. Just sayin...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 12:06 PM
  • That was only meant as a compliment to Jordan. I know he's not going to move to Sikeston, but I can tell from summer ball that he is an exceptional player.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 1:19 PM
  • bro....Jordan is a great player and, more importantly, a genuinely nice young man. He also has a great family. Risco has a lot to look forward to from this young man.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 1:35 PM
  • Does Sikeston have anyone playing for the Semo Magic team, or other teams?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Apr 23, 2012, at 4:34 PM
  • Vashawn plays for a team out of St. Louis and J.T. plays for another team (part-time). Reese and Markeith may play for another local team as well. Jordon Pavy plays for the Magic's 9/10 grade team (during summer). I think that's it...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Apr 24, 2012, at 8:21 AM
  • Bernie is going to be rockin this year!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Apr 24, 2012, at 9:00 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: