High School Basketball Forum: Class 3 Quarterfinal Picks

Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 9:46 AM:

Mine:

Charleston 77 Crystal City 59

Mt. Vernon 57 California 38

Elsberry 66 Lutheran North 64

Hogan Prep 72 Lafayette Co. 48

Note: LN will be withhout it's second leading scorer and leading rebounder against Elsberry. They are also a terrible FT shooting team.

Replies (17)

• charleston 76 crystal city 64

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 9:54 AM
  • Charleston by 12

Mr. Vernon by?

Lutheran North by ?

Hogan Prep by ?

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 10:08 AM

Was he the player that got ejected?

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 10:10 AM
  • same as me UFO.. I don't know any of those other schools

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 10:18 AM

Yes, Birdfan

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 10:23 AM

If Crystal City's guard can really only go left, then he's in big trouble with the Jays!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 10:46 AM

The loss of Mitchell helps Elsberry, and they really don't need any. Just looked like a shoving match to me, but I couldn't see it very well.

Elsberry, about 40 miles north of StL County, has a good big man (6'8") and some hard-nosed guards who really attack the basket. I saw them just once on a video replay and was struck by how aggressively the entire team played. They are tough defenders and good rebounders. Without Mitchell, it's going to be very tough for LN on the glass.

But LN has Anthony Virdure. Has a better all-around game than Biedscheid but is only 5'11. He just keeps coming at you and should keep North in the game.

I haven't seen Charleston and am not sure which team would be the better match-up if they were to meet. Birdfan said in another thread that Charleston had some issues with Elsberry in the state 3rd place game last year, and I think Elsberry is better this year. Charleston might prefer to play LN. The game plan then would be pretty straightforward--stop Virdure. Lutheran North's other guys can play, and they have a defensive stopper at guard (did a great job on Biedscheid even though he's just 5'8"), but I don't think LN could beat Charleston without a big game from Virdure.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:17 AM

Scott,

I would say that the guy you talked to is an idiot and has no credibility. Charleston has been THE premier Class 3/3A program over the years.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:20 AM
  • The only "issue" that Charleston had in last years 3rd place game with Elsberry was that they were not interested in playing during the 1st half. At one point Elsberry was up 20 early in the 3rd. Then Charleston decided to play. I remember 5 straight offensive trips for Elsberry where they did not even get the ball past half court. Elsberry does have a really good point guard. Kroegoer?

-- Posted by GSP on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:31 AM

Last year, Charleston looked like they didn't even want to play the 3rd place game last year. They played no defense in the first half, took a lot of disinterested looking shots, and didn't rebound. I really think they didn't care.

Then, after some Dick Vermiell halftime speech, they blew by Elsberry like they were standing still. It was 64-34 in the 2nd half.

Box score: http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/DistrictWinners.aspx?id=-1&alg=5&year=2010&clas...

Video: http://www.mshsaa.tv/events/17604

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:31 AM

I guess we agree, GSP!!

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:32 AM
  • Absolutely. I remember setting there, cracking up because once Charlston decided to play there was nothing Elsberry could do about it. And they were a very good team.

-- Posted by GSP on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:35 AM

It was one of the strangest games I have seen.

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 11:38 AM
  • I watched the Crystal City vs Scott City game. Crystal City is good, but nothing like Charleston.

Crystal City's 6'3" shooting guard carries their team. He is the best "Shooter" we've seen all year.

They also have good height, but I seriously doubt they can keep up with Charleston.

Stop Crystal City's Shooting guard and play the normal "Charleston Press Defense" and I believe it's lights out.

Charleston by 12.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 12:01 PM

GSP,

Kroeger, the point guard, has had another good year. He's averaging 15 points and an impressive 7 assists per game. What appears to be different about this year's team is the addition of a 6'4" freshman who is averaging 3 blocked shots a game. With him and the 6'8" Loesing, their leading scorer, they are pretty tough in the paint.

It is somewhat hard to judge them because of what appears to be a relatively weak schedule, but they did give Class 5 Rock Bridge (24-5) a very good game early. Were down by 5 after the 3rd Quarter before losing by 9.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 1:39 PM
  • Charleston over Crystal City

Mt. Vernon over California

Lutheran North over Elsberry

Hogan Prep over Lafayette

-- Posted by mule89 on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 5:29 AM
  • Lu Bluetigers,

Crystal City's "Point guard" is small and very quick. However, he is "Left Handed" and only drives to his Left. He drives with the intention of you fouling him. He does not shoot outside and does a poor job of finishing. If you foul him, he makes nearly every free throw.

Crystal City's "Shooting Guard" is about 6'3" and can shoot from "Anywhere". He is #3, Eli Sample.

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Mar 9, 2012, at 9:41 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: