High School Basketball Forum: Class 4 District 1 Champions - Sikeston 74 Notre Dame 46

Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:39 PM:

Congrats Sikeston. Not a whole lot to say about the game really. Sikeston was clearly the better team. The refs were consistent. The Bums were as classy as never. The place didn't seem quite as packed as it has been in the past. I haven't watched Notre Dame much this year, but I'd say they gave about as good of an effort as they were capable of tonight. Just not enough depth to run with a team as athletic as Sikeston

Replies (61)

I disagree the kids looked flat tonight to me. I think the atmosphere and Sikeston being extremely physical at the beginning really set the tone and they plated scared. Especially at half time, ND came out very inspired while Sikeston looke ready to run through every wall between here to Cape! Props to Coach Holifield he got his boys to come out possessed with one thing on their mind, Winning

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:09 PM
  • As I said, didn't get to see them much at all this year, so you may be right.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:11 PM
  • Sikeston came out and punched them in the mouth, and ND had no response.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:12 PM
  • It was pretty close after 1, wasn't even a big deficit at halftime...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:13 PM
  • I was meaning the tone of the game. Pace was dictated by Sikeston as was they aggressiveness. Pace eventually dictated the score as well.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:15 PM

Supposed to be un-inspired when talking about ND. And that was my point farm that at half time ND came out looking defeated, while Sikeston didn't

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:16 PM
  • Gotcha.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:16 PM
  • It's hard to win a game like that against a home team,if it had been played at Notre Dames gym the score could easily have been a mirror image.

COngrats to Kevin Roberts and his team ,same to the Sikeston Bulldogs,I hope they win it all.

-- Posted by grappler on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 11:58 PM
  • No way sikeston would have lost by 20+, when's the last time that's happened?

And we looked great tonight. We improved from the perryville game. We're just playing the best basketball we've played all year

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:20 AM
  • ND vs. Sikeston at Perryville, maybe? That was a pretty bad beatdown.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:30 AM

What gym was Farm at The Fieldhouse was packed to the point they turned people away. Dexter stayed an rooted for the Dogs as well as SHS fans rooting for the Bearcats.I wonder why they don't open up the stage for seats when a crowd of that size is expected???

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:59 AM
  • Farm was the like mikes junior year?

And I've said it a few times, if a team shoots 30ish% against us were blowing them out.

ND shot 34%, and we shot about the same against them and lost by 8(?)

I wouldn't say itd be anywhere close to a mirror image, anywhere, under any circumstance.

That's the worst I've ever seen us beat ND in awhile.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 2:12 AM
  • I foresaw a S-Town win, but tonight we sent a message. We are rolling and have our sights set on a repeat

-- Posted by kingjames on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 4:41 AM
  • Congratulations to the Sikeston Bulldogs on their convincing blowout of ND. What a statement! Rooting for you guys to win it all again this season.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 5:52 AM

I felt like it was hard fought and ND came out flat in the 2nd half... If siebert makes that 3 at the buzzed to cut it to 6 at halftime I think we may have a different game. But props to sikeston they kept ND off the boards and played their game... Congrats red dogs

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 8:48 AM
  • Grappler, do you seriously think if the game had been played at N.D., there would have been a "56-point" swing, with N.D. winning a "mirror-image" game?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 8:56 AM
  • Harry I respect your opinion but you actually believe that a 6 point difference at half was going to change the outcome? ND got beat by almost 30. I agree that ND was shaken at the half but flat? Don't think so. Worried about what was coming is a little closer to accurate. Coach Roberts demanding the Sikeston bench because of being home team was just more poster board material for the dogs. He could have chosen a different time for head games.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:00 AM
  • Demanded the Sikeston bench?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:18 AM

Notre Dame got SPANKED PERIOD, no if,and,buts about it. Sikeston is good anough to repeat, but one game at a time is the motto. I will be there if they do make it.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:21 AM

I was wondering about the bench sitting. What was that all about. Because you are seated number one means you have to sit on the right side of the scorers table or he just wanted SHS side.I know other teams that sit on opposite sides being the home team. Like Cville they home side is left. Wouldn't have changed this outcome.congrats to Dexter girls who also loss by two to ND in a prior meeting but came to prove a point as well as the SHS boys.ND had a nice run at the end of the season do congrats to them on that.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:22 AM

Who does Sikeston and Dexter play next?

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:26 AM

SHS plays Desoto and Dexter plays Central Park Hills. SHS beat desoto by 3 earlier this year. At that time SHS wasn't playing near as a team as they are now. With desoto winning by 1 against ND winning by 2 against Farmington I'm optimistic that the Bulldogs will win with convincing wins over Farmignton and ND.They have to control the point Jared White who likes to drive and battle the boards against the big 6'9 kid.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:37 AM

LU, they play Wednesday night @ Mineral Area College. Sikeston plays the 2nd game @ 7:45. ND girls play before that against Park Hills Central. Sikeston will play Desoto. Sikeston previously defeated Desoto 76-73 on their homecouert. At that time, Desoto was unbeaten.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • congrats to sikeston for their dist championship, my son and I along with about 60 other "BASKET BALL FANS" were turned away at the front gate, and then we were told by a sikeston police officer and his partner RIN TIN TIN that we could not stand in front of the field house and when a high school age STUDENT made one to many comments about wanting to get in to watch the game the officer made some kind of comment about you will go to jail "WOW" I know one of charelstons top players was in the group wanting to watch the game I feel really bad that the adults in the group along with 30 or so very well behaved student age kids had to witness this after the crowd dispersed and the officers along with RIN TIN TIN went into the field house I went to my car to find the game on the radio I watched approx 100 Dexter fans leave the game still the school staff would not let any one else in. WOW what hospitality.

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:37 AM

Just beat me to it, stl...haha.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • Coach Roberts wanted the Sikeston bench since ND was the #1 seed. Our AD told him it would cause several logistical problems because we would have to move the fans around. Besides, the Sikeston has had that bench since 1969. I'm not sure what Coach Roberts was wanting to do. I guess he was just trying to disrupt Sikeston's "flow." It wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it put a chip on Sikeston's shoulder for sure. I think that sort of backfired on Coach Roberts.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:43 AM
  • There are a lot of lies going around Sikeston. First ND did not have a pep rally at school and bad mouthed sikeston, they were not in school Monday, tuesday, or wednesday. Also, Coach roberts did not care what bench they were on. apparently Sikestons AD through a huge fit, threatened to call the state. Coach Roberts said it was no problem to switch. He is a good coach and a good person. Sikeston does a good job motivating their kids by any means, and it worked. I dont think what bench would have mattered anyway.

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:57 AM

I'd like to thank Cape Central for lighting a fire in Sikeston with the way that game went a couple weeks ago, Perryville's coach for voting them second although they had a better record and making the 'Dogs feel slighted, and Coach Roberts for throwing that fit over the bench that he eventually took to MSHSAA which made the guys want to prove the game is won on the court. The boys had a lot of outside motivators that lit a fire under them and had them ready for this week and beyond. Terry Jamison said on Wednesday after the Perryville game that they wanted to make a statement. They sure did. I'm really proud of the guys and am hoping that they can keep this momentum going into DeSoto.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 9:59 AM
  • the home floor is not worth 25 points. sikeston is just better. people foolishly doubted them because they actually lost a few games this year. its obvious those doubters did sikeston a favor because they have left no doubt who is the best. i dont see anyone beating them next year either in this district. maybe in 2 years nd can. they are top dogs right now.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:44 AM

We appreciate it Slick. I assume you want to be on the list to buy a 4-Peat District Championship t-shirt? Also, good luck to your Blue Jays this week.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:45 AM
  • Good grief, I have never seen a bunch of fans with such a chip on their shoulder. Why do you have to bring up some kind of "nobody gives us any credit" crap eeeeeeevvvvery year? I don't get it. People picking their own team to win over Sikeston isn't "underrating" you, its being biased...everybody does it.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:48 AM
  • Scott,

I admit when i am wrong. you are right, Sikeston is very good. congrats!

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:49 AM

Can anybody tell me how many players ND loses to graduation this year?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • Man...I think it's several. Meystedt for sure, which is huge. Not going to be much of a threat next year in my opinion.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:51 AM
  • but farmboy it needs to make sense. there were people who were writing sikeston off just because they lost to charleston two times. there was not a whole lot of logic to it. it was mostly hating.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 10:58 AM
  • nd loses meystedt, hale, lynch, heisserrer, reddin and i think farmer.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:00 AM

So I guess Siebert is a junior then?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:02 AM
  • no. hes a senior too.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • Who was? A couple dumb Notre Dame fans? I don't recall anybody writing them off. Sure, even I've said they aren't as good as last year, but I also said they'd probably win the district.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • According to the district program ND seniors are Farmer, Lynch, Reddin, Meystedt, Siebert, Heisserer, Hale.

-- Posted by trainhard on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:10 AM
  • geez it was not just nd fans. im not talking about you specifically. but it was the hot topic during december and january.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:10 AM
  • Ouch...better hope we have a good recruiting class.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:11 AM
  • nd could be dynamite again in 2 years. im sure they will find a way to be better then most thin next year.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:12 AM
  • I've actually heard they have a pretty good freshman team, but I've never seen them.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:15 AM

There were a lot of people who wrote off Sikeston as getting credit strictly because they were defending state champs. Happened a lot after the Charleston games and the Cape game. Heck, there were people coming into districts thinking it would be a ND-Perryville Friday. Everything turned after Wednesday though when ND struggled against Fredericktown while Sikeston whooped Perryville. I was concerned the tide may have turned too much, that Roberts would have been able to use the motivation that they were the one seed and that nobody thought they had a chance and that he could put a chip on their shoulder. Apparently, if he tried it, it didn't work. However, as Farm astutely brought up, there are few teams and fanbases that know how to put the underdog, lack of respect, nobody but our loyal fans believes in us motivation on quite like Sikeston. Really and truly, looking back, I think we should have all seen a game like this coming. Sikeston had won their last three games by about thirty and ND just had all the wheels come off in the last couple weeks barely beating Farmington, blowing the game to DeSoto, and letting Fredericktown stay in the game practically until the end. Something just went south on them at the wrong time it seems like. I don't know if teams just figured them out or if they finally had some big games outside of Cape County but something changed.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:20 AM

Farm, the lower grades at ND have been excellent this year. In two years, they will probably in state contendership with Sikeston with both teams maybe being in the top five. I know polls don't matter but you know what I mean.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:21 AM
  • I've seen the ND jv a couple times this year and they are a very good team.

-- Posted by trainhard on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:35 AM

Wow ND had alot of seniors. That is one advantage they have they can recruit by being a private school so the district better watch out. Lol the coach has class I was impressed with his interview an with coaches they want they best for their team. He realize that his guys couldn't run but they never had a chance to slow the game down. Every rebound was a outlet.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 11:44 AM
  • ND freshman have 2 players on varsity, those same 2 and two others start on JV that lost only 3 games, and the freshman team went 18-0. We will be a very young team next year, but after that I expect one or two final fours from this freshman class.

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • And as for our recruiting, we've seemed to find nice pipelines at local area catholic grade schools. I guess that's cheating :). As for the game, Sikeston played very very physical and took ND's heads out of the game. I don't think they will be allowed to play as physical as they move through the playoffs, but if they are, they will have a great chance of playoffs. As for ND, I am very proud of this team. Someone above was talking about being disrespected, well coming into the season, this ND team was written off. People were picking them 4th in district, near the bottom of conference, and even saying we would get around a 6 or 7 seed in the Christmas tournament. This team proved the doubters wrong and had the best season in the last 5 years. Unfortunately, we peaked a little two early, I think when we destroyed Perryville. Sikeston also chose to peak at the right time which is something u can't do too much about. Congrats ND, good luck Sikeston.

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:30 PM
  • I'll give ND credit, i thought they wouldn't be nearly as good.

But as for the ND freshman, They'll have to put up with J JONES, J Ray, Wooh for the Next two years, With Hitman Holla and C Blisset for the Next three.

I see sikeston running the table for a few more years.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:37 PM
  • V,B....good post. I know there are two people outside of ND faithful that did not think ND would be down....Coach James and Coach Holifield (Sikeston coaches). I talked to them before the season and they fully expected ND to be very good....which they were. I was one of the people who thought they would be "down." Boy I was wrong. Our coaches NEVER count them out. I would expect them to be at least competitive each and every year. Someone mentioned the JV earlier....they are very good as well.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:41 PM
  • Ok, Dustin. I know everyone you mentioned except "Hitman Holla." Who is that?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:43 PM
  • Agreed, scott. However, from everything I've heard and read, it looks like it is a done deal. However, I guess we won't know until it happens.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:48 PM
  • Dustin....is that Zach Jackson?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:49 PM
  • Haha yeah, hitman holla is a battle rapper who was an all american out of UMSL, he looks like him

Zach has the potential to be one of the greats to come out of sikeston

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 12:53 PM
  • "The Bums were as classy as never." hahaha i just caught that.

the players said that was one of the best atmospheres they've ever played in. which was the goal.

loved seeing brother david help start the chant about sikeston not being able to read. now thats classy curly!!

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:13 PM
  • So is calling him Brother Sandusky. Get over yourself

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:21 PM

I believe we hold adults ordained in the church who also run schools to a slightly higher standard than a bunch of high school kids. Just my two cents. That's about how much it's worth.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:25 PM
  • I thought it was funny, I'm just saying it goes both ways

And that was like two months ago, get over yourself

And we actually said "where's Sandusky" not "brother Sandusky" doesn't fit the four syllable limit for the chant to sound right

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:30 PM
  • scott....I figured you didn't make it because you never replied.

Where will they go? Soldan? MRH? Vashon? I don't know.

Touche, Dustin. That's funny right there!!!

Agreed, sideline. Very valid point. So was Brother David actually starting the chant about not being able to read??? Really??? If so...wow! You don't see our administrators (or any others for that matter) starting chants. Smh

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 1:46 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: