High School Basketball Forum: Class 4, District 1 in Sikeston

Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 3:49 PM:

Well, the preseason is now over. Those teams with state title aspirations are hoping to round into form. The Class 4, District 1 tourney will be at the Dog Dome (aka Sikeston Fieldhouse). Most "experts" believe that the semifinals will match Sikeston vs Perryville and ND vs Dexter. I believe Sikeston and ND will once again meet in the finals on Friday night with the Red Dogs winning their 4th consecutive district title. I don't think that the games will be easy, but I think Sikeston will prevail. I think playing in Sikeston will be a big advantage.

What say you?

Replies (212)

• Wish we got home court advantage once in a while....kind of more fun to win on Sikeston's court though ;).

Otherwise, yeah, if I was betting, I'd bet on a Sikeston-ND final. However, I wouldn't be completely shocked if one or both teams didn't make it. Pville gave Sikeston a good game once this year, and Dexter had been on a winning streak until recently...and it seems like you never can tell with ND this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 3:54 PM
  • I too look for a Sikeston/ND finals, but if Perryville upsets Sikeston in the semis, that wouldn't be a tremendous shock.

Dexter vs. Fredericktown in the first round should be a good match-up. Dexter should win but they've lost three in a row while Fredericktown has put together a nice little run at the end of the regular season. Taking Cape Central to OT in the season finale should give the Bearcats some confidence at districts that they can play with the big boys. If Dexter does get by the Black Cats, the only chance they've got against ND in my view is to handle their press, slow it down and make it a half court game, and win the turnover battle. It's a tall order, but to quote that great American philosopher Chris Berman "that's why they play the games!"

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 4:05 PM
  • My money is on ND vs. Sikeston in the final. Sikeston will probably win it due to it being at the field house. If Perryville does sneak out an upset then my money is on ND to win the district.

-- Posted by paulbd on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 4:45 PM
  • My opinion, for what it's worth, Sikeston vs ND final. I believe the winner of this match up will be in the final four. Saying this, Sikeston wins and wins big against ND. ND ALWAYS plays Sikeston close...BUT something is telling me this time is different. IMO I think it could get borderline ugly by the 4th quarter.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 4:49 PM
  • Farm...I said something similar. I would rather play someone else just because ND always seems to play us close. However, beating them makes it just that much sweeter! :-)

I expect both to get to the finals. Hopefully the same result as the last 3!!

dogs.....I like your optimism. I hope plays out that way!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 5:00 PM

Prevent turnovers, get the inside game going, pressure defense, knock down shots, and Sikeston wins their fourth straight district. I believe.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • My money is on Sikeston, however, Notre Dame always comes ready to play.

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 5:33 PM

ND comes ready to play for sure.SHS guys share the ball limit turnovers up assist pressure D. And they are unstoppable. I think that the guys know what is at stake. Don't get out sync take good shots and Team Play definately wins Championships. Stay cool don't force anything please watch the fouls. ND good free throw team don't need them on the free throw line all night. Go Seniors. Go Team. Go SHS Bulldogs

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 6:23 PM
  • I love this time of the year. Thro records out the window and lets play. ND over Dexter by 15 in semi #1. Sikeston over P'Ville by 20 in semi #2. ND over Sikeston by 7 in finals. I have a feeling that ND's Seniors will not let them lose. I think that they go on to beat DeSoto/Farmington and then Imagine Prep to reach the Final Four.

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 6:27 PM
  • Sikeston plays as a team, we win, they don't and whoever we play does. This is for all the games we play cause not counting anyone out.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • It's all about homecourt advantage. It is disappointing that a team, year in and year out, hosts the districts on their homecourt. Yes I know why (fieldhouse size)but it would be ideal if most districts could rotate the host site or just play it at a neutral site. Until then, the nod absolutely positively has to go to Sikeston.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 9:45 PM

I will make a bet right now... Anyone want to take a gamble on who wins?

I will bet $1,000 that The Bulldogs win District One in Class 4.

Anyone? Anyone?

-- Posted by Haterade on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:06 PM
  • Sideline, are you going to do your top 10 this week?

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:09 PM

Yeah, I'll crank it out at some point tomorrow probably along with my in-depth thoughts on the upcoming Class 4 and 5 district tournaments.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:14 PM
  • Normally, I'd take that bet. This year, I'm not so sure.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:28 PM
  • I think it would be absolutely hillarios if perryvile slides in and steals that district title. I now ND and Sikeston are very good teams but this time of year its all about the turnovers. If perryville could put 2 good games together they could win that thing,nobody has the size down their that perryville has. One more thing I think that district either needs to go aneutral site or be rotated to big of an advantage. Same with semo conference tournament every year too big of an advantage,plenty of big houses to play in Cape,Jackson,Dexter for example.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:49 PM
  • Districts, I agree. Conference tourney, not gonna happen (and frankly sick of hearing about it).

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • Objective Fan, Perryville is very capable of winning that district, but the Pirates have not played nearly as well on the road. If they can handle Sikeston's press and turn it into a half-court game where their size gives them the advantage, they have a real shot at an upset.

Dexter has hosted this district for the last two years and it didn't help them. As for the SEMO Conference tourney always being at Sikeston, my understanding is that it used to be a Sikeston invitational tourney, so it's unlikely to be held anywhere else. It didn't help Sikeston win it this year either.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 10:57 PM
  • Maybe yall could play at the park center in Perryville some year. Would be nice to see the revenue spread around. I know it used to be the Sikeston invitional but it is now a conference tourney spread the revenue around to the other towns.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 11:08 PM
  • Objective fan....a school in the district has to "request" the distinct tourney. Then, the coaches (maybe AD's) vote on it. If your school doesn't get to host....speak to your AD or coach. Some schools just may not want to host it or dont have the facilities.

I do sort of agree with you on the neutral site, but I'm not sure where that would be.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 11:16 PM
  • The district tourney was held there a few years ago....absolutely horrible! The Park Center's seating isn't big enough to handle the crowds. Nice facility otherwise......

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 11:18 PM

Objective fan, districts was at the Perry Park Center in 2008 and it was a mess. Not nearly enough room for all the fans there. I showed up more than an hour before and remember having to sit on some tiny overflow bleachers on the end where the main bleachers blocked from seeing half the court. Sikeston and Dexter are really the only two places with enough good seating to hold the district. If a school outside the district wants to go through the headache of hosting districts all week even though they have no involvement with it, they can step right up and throw in a bid.

For the conference tournament, it is owned by Sikeston. Everyone can yell about it until they are blue in the face. That location ain't changing. Man, by the way everyone complains on here, you'd think Sikeston was a .500 team who steals all their victories by buying off the refs or something. Can anybody tell me the year Sikeston won districts or conference at the Field House undeservingly? Anyone?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Feb 18, 2012, at 11:24 PM

Oh no, not another Doniphan reference!?!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 12:26 AM

In the last twenty-five years, Sikeston has hosted their district in '87, '95, '96, '02, '06, '07, and '09 according to semohoops. So it isn't like they have always just had a monopoly on the district. Prior to the Bearcat Event Center getting built, I think the Perry Park Center was the district's second biggest/nicest facility and we all know how that turned out. Please tell me which of the years I listed did Sikeston win their district due to playing at home. I believe that they try to do two year cycles at each venue (although it is voted on every year). I could have just came up with this myself but I believe the Perry Park Center was supposed to have it in both '08 and '09 but the first year was such a cluster-duck that it was decided just to have it at Sikeston instead. If we look at it like that, then in the last six years, the three good (not to say others are bad, just the easiest word to describe this) venues would have each had two years with the district and Sikeston is supposed to be coming off four years without districts. Again, I want to know when Sikeston won districts due to being at home instead of just being the best team because I just must have missed it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 1:06 AM

I will take Sikeston again to win the district championship. ND is in a catch 22 because yes you want to slow down Sikeston, but the height advantage goes to Sikeston and ND struggles to score inside at times. The bluedogs want to speed the games up since they have such good guards, and quickness but so does Sikeston.

If Sikeston makes the adjustment, which they didn't do at ND, and THROW the ball inside to JT Jones! If he catches it good things happen, because they have no one to stop him. ND's guards match up well with Sikeston, But ND's size will hurt them like it has in the past with Corey Porter hurting them inside, but now instead it will be JT Jones.

It will be a close game like always, but Sikeston will pull away using momentum at home and push ahead and win by 10.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 1:28 AM
  • this conversation about hosting disticts is a topic for all classes. theres never an easy fix. look at class 1, district 1. its being held at risco. that gym might hold 600 people.

as far as notre dame hosting it probably has more to do with a general dislike of them then anything else because their gym is big enough to host.

the fix would be to host at neutral sites, but that wont ever happen.

-- Posted by GSP on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 9:50 AM
  • Yeah GSP, that's it *face palm*.

ND's gym truthfully isn't big enough (not even for rivalry regular season games).

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • The issue of hosting districts, to me, isn't about Sikeston home-cooking the opposition with the refs or anything, it is just about having home court advantage, nothing more. Some people I guess think that means refs are homers, but that is silly. Gone are the days when you play a team at their gym and the refs are from there and ready to help out the home team.

It's more about playing on a court they are used to day in and day out, a home crowd, familiar backgrounds behind the goals, etc. I remember years ago when we played at the old Cape Central school which is now the Junior High. There is alot of space between the goals and the walls at the end of the gym, and it was a sort of depth perception that you had to adjust to. So to me it's things like that which give a home court advantage, and for post season play it would be nice if it could rotate or be at a neutral site. The home team has just too much of an advantage, and in Sikeston's case, they are so good already that they don't need it!

If it were at a neutral site, I think ND, Perryville or Sikeston could take it, but as it is, I think it's all Sikeston. Yes I know, ND and the Dirnberger kid pulled one out a few years ago there, but that is the exception, not the norm.

But the flip side of the coin is to say "too bad" for you other schools. Build a big enough fieldhouse and maybe YOU can host districts every year. It certainly makes sense to host at the largest venue, and until others get a large enough venu, too bad I suppose.

Didn't Dexter host not too long ago? Isn't there gym pretty large? I didn't realize Perryville hosting it was a sort of fiasco either.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 1:34 PM

That's good point Greatfun, it's not really about the refs. I think people have more of a problem with the home court advantage. The familiar court, not having to travel on a bus, opposition fans always have to sit behind the bleachers, we're as home fans can sit right on the court. I think things like that are what people have problems with.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 1:50 PM

Perryville has hosted and Dexter had it the last two years I believe so no SHS hasn't had it year in and year out..and yes it is never a blow out it's a play your hardest and win ND beat SHS 4 years 5 years ago on a inbound pass from half court almost. Lol so Teams play.. The first meeting between Perryville and SHS Ruffin had a bad game the post wasn't near as consistent so Jamison stepped up with 24points that night. Clicking on all cylinders with Jones and Warfield playing great. Colemans shots are falling Ruffin is giving balance scoring an McGee is playing well knocking down big shots SHS will take care of business with Perryville.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 1:56 PM
  • Agreed, stlfan38. I think Sikeston does take care of business against Perryville. I think the bigger floor will give their big men some problems. I think we are hitting our stride and I like our chances in district play.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • oh its big enough. of course it doesnt seat what sikeston or dexter does, but it would do. good luck hosting though. lol

-- Posted by GSP on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:04 PM
  • Let's see if we win districts it's because we have home court advantage??? Wasn't it in Dexter last year??? Didn't we win??? Wonder why??

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:19 PM

For all technical purposes, yes, the gym for Notre Dame can qualify as the district site. However, you would end up turning away a lot of fans that would show up to see that game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:23 PM
  • Glad to see I got all you folks stired up the home court advantage thing,so touchy! Got a good idea for class 4 district 1. What if they would play that district at Cape or Jackson depending on where they would be playin!

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:33 PM

Considering that most of Cape and Jackson's administration will be at their own district's tournament keeping their fans in line, I don't see them putting in a bid to host a tournament that isn't even featuring their own team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:37 PM
  • So let's see if we lost all our home games all year long but played districts at our home court would it still be home court advantage??? Wait let's see if we played in Cape would that mean noone would win cause noone would have home court advantage. I'm so confused!! Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 4:55 PM

Yes that would still be home court advantage, maybe not a good one apparently, but one none the less. There not saying home court makes you win, just that it COULD help you win. It also doesn't mean you won't win without it, example sikeston the past two years at dexter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 5:15 PM

Sikeston's crowd would be huge and vocal in support of the team no matter where the district would be held at. I remember districts from last year and the crowd absolutely coming alive in support of the team when Sikeston was down seven to ND late in the third. There was a great atmosphere at St. Dominic for the championship game even with only a small number of us. The Caruthersville game was another example of the fans going all out to support the team. The fan support and atmosphere will be there for the team no matter where they go. I've read a few different people saying the Field House is the difference. The game will be decided on a court, no matter where that court is. Excuses about the periphery or how much air is in the ball or who has to travel further are just that, excuses. The best team will win the game. It could be Sikeston. It could be Notre Dame. It could be Perryville. But it's time to stop overshadowing the event with nonsense about the venue.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 5:31 PM
  • I know I was trying to be funny but apparently I'm not doing a good job

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 5:31 PM
  • I still think its funny how some of you all get stired up on certain topics. Sometimes I think this whole forum is dominated by Cape Nd and Sikeston folks for my part on just a fan of the game. I truely enjoyed watching Sikeston win state in Columbia last year,and root for all our teams when their in Columbia. Sometimes our comments take on a little bit of a homer feel. I guess thats why I try to be OBJECTIVE in my comments and not one sided.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 7:44 PM
  • I still think its funny how some of you all get stired up on certain topics. Sometimes I think this whole forum is dominated by Cape Nd and Sikeston folks for my part on just a fan of the game. I truely enjoyed watching Sikeston win state in Columbia last year,and root for all our teams when their in Columbia. Sometimes our comments take on a little bit of a homer feel. I guess thats why I try to be OBJECTIVE in my comments and not one sided.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 7:44 PM

Okay back on topic. ND and Sikeston reach the final game on Friday night. ND takes a slim 3 point lead into half time. Sikeston comes out and puts together a strong third quarter, pulls away, and wins by 10.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Feb 19, 2012, at 7:58 PM
  • something special about these ND seniors. I don't think they will let this team lose. just one of those feelings. we'll see. nothing is more tough and more satisfying than beating sikeston in their house. we shall see wednesday and friday.

-- Posted by V,B on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 1:10 AM

And, there's nothing special about Sikeston's or Perryville's seniors?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:15 AM
  • If the shoe were on the other foot and ND hosted districts every year, well, they'd by lynching in the streets. Just sayin'. Deny if you want but it is true.

HAVING SAID that, I believe Sikeston would win the district wherever it is at, but it would be more up for grabs if it were somewhere else. I say 'more' up for grabs, but the Red Dogs would still be the fave to win.

I seem to think Perryville has the best chance of beating SIkeston, but I see Sikeston taking care of business against the Blue Dogs IF they meet.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 9:14 AM

yah-yah - I don't think V,B was implying that.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 9:20 AM

To me, this year feels a lot like two years ago. Sikeston is coming off a great season from the year before and is doubted because they haven't been as dominant as they were. They drop the game at Notre Dame that they shouldn't that makes it seem like ND has the power. ND is a senior laden team that has been consistent but doesn't come off as a dominant force. They get the top seed though despite a worse record. There's a third seed that everyone is saying will beat Sikeston (it was Dexter during Flannigan's junior year two years ago. There's discussion in the archives on here about it). So hopefully it will end the same as last time with Sikeston getting a strong win in the semis and out physical ND on a large court to win the finals. Seriously though, the parallels are kind of uncanny.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 10:07 AM
  • Any thoughts on tonight's games? Anybody feel an upset coming?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 3:07 PM
  • If Dexter plays like they did Friday night against Cape Central iI think they can beat Fredricktown and if they can put two games like that in a row well then, wait for it, they upset Notre Dame to get to the finals!!!! GO CATS

-- Posted by X-coach on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • Man, Farm...I really expect the seedings to hold. I just don't think St Gen or Fredericktown can beat their opponents tonight. IMO....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 3:36 PM
  • I'm trying to decide if I even want to go....don't think I really do.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 4:00 PM
  • I agree about Dexter. Some nights they look like they can beat just about anyone in the area, and other nights they look like any team in the area could beat them! The have a very good sophmore guard in Cody Neldon, and if he continues to play the next 2 years he could possibly be all-state. They need him to make good passes, and get good dribble penetration. I have seen him do both of these things. At times he has made some great assists, and he can take the ball to hole pretty much whenever he wants. If he can do that, and get some good kick-outs to Miller, combined with some good inside play from Jake Lee, then they can beat Ftown, and yes even ND! They must take care of the ball though. They've had trouble with that all year.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 4:02 PM
  • Schools aren't allowed to broadcast districts on local access channels are they?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:16 PM

They cannot broadcast it live. I know Sikeston films and commentates it with the broadcast being show on SPS-985 the next day.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • Well that's not nearly as fun lol.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:23 PM

Dexter 28 Fredericktown 25 half

-- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:29 PM
  • Thanks nimbus. Keep the updates coming!

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:34 PM

Dexter 44 Fredericktown 38 end 3

-- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 6:58 PM

Fredericktown 54 Dexter 50 Final

-- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:13 PM

Can't say that I am surprised.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • Welllll, 1 upset so far.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:17 PM
  • -- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:20 PM
  • Heard that Dexter was without their starting PG. Bad time of the year for that.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:22 PM
  • Wow, Dexter....???? What was there final record?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:26 PM
  • Shocked by Dexter result.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:38 PM
  • Any word on Pville yet? Link won't work on iPad.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:46 PM

pville up 27-20 3:35, I assume quarter 2

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:48 PM

I believe Dexter's final record to be around 12-12; not a 100% sure though.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:49 PM
  • Thanks Larry.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:50 PM

Again, I'm not surprised. I know score comparisons aren't everything but I watched Sikeston beat both of those teams by similar margins. Then, Dexter losing their PG kind of made this game about even. It was. Also, Perryville leads 36-25 at half I believe.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 7:58 PM

Farm, if you want to listen, go to the link, go to the listen now tab on the side, and click on the WinAmp or something like that version when you get on the next page. It worked on my iPhone.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:00 PM
  • Lol, got it. The only one I DIDN'T click.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:02 PM
  • Dexter took Cape Central to overtime Friday.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:04 PM
  • FYI: I will be doing a Cover It Live for the boys final on Friday.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:06 PM
  • We might do the girls as well if I can talk Kevin into it. (I'll be covering that game.)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:06 PM
  • Sounds like this Pville game is as good as done. 19 point lead right now for Perryville.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:08 PM

Perryville leads 57-38 after three. Not going to listen to the fourth. I think that goose is cooked.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:18 PM
  • Perryville wins it 74-59. Apparently they have some shooters on their team lol. I know of at least twelve 3's between 2 players, not sure if they made any more. Going to listen to the stats here in a minute.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:34 PM

Moldenhauer can hit a shot from just about anywhere. I'm really surprised that Ste. Genevieve kept this game even remotely close.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:37 PM
  • I believe he had 6, and somebody else had 6.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:38 PM
  • Dexter's final record is 13-13. I was at the game tonight. They played about as bad a fourth quarter as it is possible to play. Terrible FT shooting also really cost us. Congrats to Fredericktown. They are much better than I expected although I expected a close game.

Also my first time to see Perryville in action. They are an outstanding team. Ste. Gen hung tough for the 1st quarter, but then the Pirates poured it on. Should be a great game Wed. night with Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • Perryville has some size and can definitely shoot the ball. I'm not changing my picks, but I definitely wouldn't be shocked if they were to pull off the upset.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:42 PM
  • Listening to the stats...that may have been a Ste. Gen kid with the 6 threes.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:53 PM

That's what I was thinking, Farm. I didn't remember a second Perryville kid going off from deep.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 8:55 PM
  • The Ste Gen kid was probably Weiler. I think be was the QB for their football team. He is a really good player. He just needed some help.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 10:26 PM
  • Sounds right Rocket.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 20, 2012, at 10:29 PM
  • For years, Dexter shot FTs well, but this year was terrible. They could have easily had 4-5 more wins with 70-75% free-throw shooting!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 12:30 AM
  • Great! that is why the game is played! Look

1. cape beat charleston 2. nd beat cape 3 shs/nd have split 4 this district is tough each game !

enjoy i will have to wait to one of them later at quarters or state!

-- Posted by weslc61 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 2:40 AM
  • I was a little surprised at the Dexter-Fredericktown score since Dexter took Cape to OT. I thought Dexter would be able to handle them.

I really don't like second guessing coaches because they know their team MUCH better than any of us on this board. However, I watched the Dexter-Fredericktown game last night and I was surprised to see Dexter in man-to-man defense. Dexter continually got beat off the dribble by Fred's guards. Also, Fred had two kids over 6'5" with one about 6'8" or 6'9". The guards would penetrate and score or kick to the open man. I would have played a zone, but that is just me. It was a pretty good game to watch, however.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 2:21 PM
  • I think the Perryville v. Sikeston game will be exciting! Sikeston will be more relaxed to play since they are on their home court (note i am not complaining about it, just stating). But you can't count Perryville out they had an outstanding season and are led by a great group of seniors. I can't wait to watch!

-- Posted by Winning on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 2:46 PM
  • Rocket, I was at the game last night too. You are right about Fred's guards outplaying Dexter's, esp. Jackson. But what really sank the Bearcats was 7 4th qtr. turnovers, 50% FT shooting, and 6 or 7 missed lay-ups in the game. Also Mills and Oerdel really dominated the boards.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 2:55 PM

Sikeston will NOT be relaxed on their home floor. Holifield and co. will have them focused on the task at hand.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 2:59 PM
  • The poor FT shooting and turnovers definitely hurt them down the stretch. Which guard was Jackson??

I was just making a comment about the type of defense. Since Fred was so much bigger, I, personally, would have played a zone defense, but I'm not the coach. I'm certain that he played the type of defense which he thought gave him the best shot at winning.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 3:04 PM
  • Keith Jackson, #4 for Fred. Lit Dexter up for 19 pts. including 3 3-pointers. Played a great game for the Blackcats.

Dexter usually switches back and forth between man-to-man and zone during games. I think you're right that playing more zone would've helped them, but just hitting more of their FT's and lay-ups would've won the game for Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 3:13 PM
  • You are all correct about Dexters free throw shooting. It was horrible! The Bearcats have other problems other then there defense and shooting. I don't care what defense or offense you run, you have to pick a system, and everyone stick to it. They are doing one thing from 9th grade and up, and running different sytems in the Grades below. Right or wrong, you have to pick one, and use it in every grade! From 3rd grade all the way to High School. When they all get on the same page you will begin to see better, more consistent Dexter teams.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 4:03 PM
  • Dexter has an 8th grader coming up next season named Chandler Young (Chase's younger brother) who may see some time on the varsity as a freshman next season. He's that good! It'd be great to see the Young brothers playing together for Dexter next season!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 4:18 PM
  • So the 3rd graders need to be doing the same thing as the high school kids? LOL I'm sorry but that may be the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard. 3rd graders need to be worrying about dribbling with their heads up, passing correctly and shooting the ball with correct form. I could not disagree with what you have said anymore. Does it hurt to do the same thing from grades 7-12? Of course not. But it's not the main ingredient for success even at that age level. Fundamental play and a higher skill level will make any "system" better, regarless of how long it's been in place.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 4:21 PM
  • Your right. I didn't really mean 3rd Graders. I was exaggerating, but at least junior high thru high school

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 5:00 PM

Chase & Chandler went to grade school in Charleston; their dad teaches in Charleston.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 5:56 PM
  • That's true birdfan. But they live in Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 5:58 PM

Scott, people were freaking out down here haha. People go crazy over everything lol. But yes we all ( as in all I've talked to) felt it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 6:08 PM
  • Man I never even rolled over. Didn't know about it til I checked Facebook.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 6:19 PM
  • Yep...woke my wife and me up. It was about 4 in the morning.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 6:24 PM

My wife said there was no was she could hear or feel anything like that because of my snoring.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 6:39 PM

From District 2 De Soto 43 Park Hills Central 14

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 6:48 PM

De Soto 67 Park Hills Central 32

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 7:05 PM

Tough loss for Mizzou to an unranked Kansas st., coulda just cost them the regular season conference title, and a #1 in the big dance.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:02 PM

Hah! Love it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:04 PM
  • Not a Mizzou fan Sideline?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:06 PM

Nope. I have my reasons why. I'm not going to go into detail on here though.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:10 PM

No wonder their switching conferences, can't beat the ones in this conference ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:13 PM

1 seed isn't that big of a deal. It's the region that will matter more. 2-3 in Stl would be awesome.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:14 PM

Well, if Kansas gets the one in St. Louis, Mizzou would probably get put into a different region as a two or three. I know that the only rule is that conference teams must avoid each other until the Elite Eight unless impossible (ie Big East last year) but you have to believe they'd put the rivals in different areas.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 8:19 PM
  • Preacher....sideline just hates the fact that his school can't compete with Mizzou in the football or basketball. And now, Mizzou is going into his school's conference and will push them down further. :-)

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 10:40 PM

All I see on Rocket's post is Wah Waaaahhh Wah Waaahhhhhhh Waaahhhhhhh MIZZZZZOOOOOUUUU Wahh Wahh Wahh Wah Honk

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:34 PM

^

LOL

I don't think Eli Manning could help Sideline's team Rocket lol..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:36 PM
  • what about Ben Jarvis green Ellis and mike Wallace and Greg hardy and Patrick Willis? I think theyd be formidable

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:42 PM
  • and maybe mccluster too

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:42 PM

The reasons I support my team do not correlate with the reasons I root against Mizzou. Rocket knows the truth. He just knows not to say it too. But yeah, my team does have more bowl wins in the last four years than Mizzou and they only needed two appearances to do it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:45 PM

We've come to accept our role of having the most beautiful people, most beautiful campus, and best tailgating in the nation though. Those don't change from season to season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:47 PM

I'll agree you have better looking women!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Feb 21, 2012, at 11:50 PM

My cousin dated Eli manning while they both attended Ole Miss

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:08 AM

Hey, Buck....my son graduated from Ole Miss and his fraternity brother was Eli's roommate and lifelong friend...so, my son was pretty good friends with Eli

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:19 AM

Buck, is your cousin from Sikeston? I know twins from Sikeston - one dated Eli and one was one of his best friends. And, Mizzou is 25-3 without a single top recruit on their roster. I can't be unhappy with that at all. Saturday is huge. But, they can still lose Saturday and win the Big 12 tournament and get a 1. I don't think KU will win out the rest of the season, either. They have looked very vulnerable many times this season. There's a good chance they won't get a 1.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:17 AM
  • Hey if we win this week, when and where do we play next ??? Anyone know?? Just got my work schedule for next week and it's some long hours.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:27 AM
  • Oh, sideline....it's ok. Actually, I misspoke earlier. Mizzou won't be able to push Ole Miss down any further. Last is still last, regardless of how many teams are in the SEC. For that, I apologize sideline.... LOTI

I will give you one thing, as Cheese said, the females that inhabit Oxford are typically easy on the eyes.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:28 AM

Like I said, you aren't being incredible originally here Jupiter head. We accept our role of classing up the SEC and understand the greater burden we have to do that now that we are allowing Mizzou to put our logo on stuff.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:36 AM

TFA, if Sikeston wins districts, I believe we would play at Mineral Area Community College in Park Hills on Wednesday. I do not know what time.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:37 AM
  • Thanks at least I am off Thursday

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:40 AM

Yeah, I remember in 2010 when Sikeston played Farmington up there that the game wasn't even scheduled to start until 7:45. Seems kind of ridiculous for the Sikeston fans but it won't change since I know they can't plan specifically for a certain school to be there.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:46 AM
  • Oh, so now the SEC is "yours"? Wow! So I guess your blood really is blue, huh? Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:50 AM

You got it yah-yah, that's them!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:02 AM

yah-yah, I remember my son telling me that one of the twins was dating Eli, so when Buck said that his cousin dated Eli, that's what came to my mind

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:05 AM

Gotcha, Buck. I work with your cousin then - the twins' older sister. We eat with the same lunch crew every day.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:44 AM

Yes she teaches at the junior high I believe

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Sikeston is and should be the favorite for the district considering all things including home court advantage. However I personally think the upset will happen. I think Perryville has as good of a chance at the district title as anyone this year. Remember Moldenhauer was hurt when Perryville faced Sikeston the first time and that was a close contest. He is back healthy and if they can play a couple smart aggressive games especially the two big boys down low, they have a better than good shot. regardless of the outcome of the district though, whichever team comes out on top should feel good because the top three teams all have legit talent and potential! Should be an awesome district tourny!

-- Posted by Go Big Green on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 11:05 AM

Moldenhauer was not hurt when Perryville played Sikeston last time. He played the full game (minus obvious breaks) and had fourteen points.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 11:09 AM
  • Go Big Green.....Moldenhauer did play. However, I can't speak to whether or not he played at 100%. From what I remember, I don't recall him playing with noticeable limp or anything like that, but I'm not the Perryville expert. I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't recall that.

Anyway.....I think one of the advantages that everyone overlooks is the big floor in Sikeston. Now, that within itself can't win the game, but it is a huge advantage playing on it everyday. Against Ste Gen, Perryville's big boys were having a hard time maintaining their stamina on the big floor. I didn't think that Ste Gen or Perryville ran the floor that much. They will have to against Sikeston....of that much I am sure. Sikeston will look to keep the game uptempo and I'm pretty sure Perryville will look to make it a half court affair. Although Sikeston is predominantly an uptempo team, they can run their offense efficiently in the half court.

I guess tonight, we will know the outcome. Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 11:23 AM

The impact of playing on that large floor falls to Sikeston for the fact that there is just more space. They play on it all the time. Moldenhauer is a great shooter but he also benefitted from the extra inches he had to separate from the Ste. Gen defenders. I feel like Sikeston's guys will be able to do a better job at closing them out and contesting shots on the perimeter.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 11:35 AM
  • I thought Moldenhauer was nursing an injury that ended up sidelining him for several games but I could be mistaken on the Sikeston game timing. Regardless I believe Perryville has the potential to beat teams like Sikeston, ND, DeSoto when they play to their potential, full respect to all those very good teams! should be fun to watch whomever comes out on top this year! Good luck to all teams! Go Green!!!!

-- Posted by Go Big Green on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:03 PM

Just looked at the news article this morning. He was in and scored fourteen. He was hurt right before or during the PHC Christmas tourney I believe. The game with Sikeston was on December 15.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:05 PM
  • If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was Moldenhauer who injured his back going for a loose ball during the first half of their win over Ste. Gen Monday night. They worked on his back for several minutes in the 2nd qtr. He did go back in the game however. Didn't stay for the 2nd half, but I hope he can play tonight against Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:19 PM

Preach, if I remember correctly, I believe that was Weibrecht (sp?), not Moldenhauer.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:21 PM
  • Weibrecht actually returned and flushed his third slam of the game. Yeah, I'd say he will be fine. I'm sure they were holding him out for precaution and put him in just to be sure he felt fine.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:31 PM

Scott, I know that both KZIM and KRHW should be webcasting online. Since it is districts and MSHSAA believes they should charge to broadcast these games since they have so much involvement with them, there will be no live video whatsoever.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:35 PM
  • Semohoops, Sideline, you're both prolly right about it being Weibrecht instead of Moldenhauer with the back issue. Sounds like he will be just fine which I'm gla to hear. They'll need him tonight against Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • Any predictions tonight? I think the Dogs are going to escape to play the winner of the Fredericktown/ND matchup (which will probably be ND).

I know Go Big Green thinks that Perryville is going to upset the Dogs. What about everyone else?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM

Sikeston by 9, ND by 14.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM

Sikeston by 14, ND by 30

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 1:25 PM

Perryville doesn't have the guard play to keep up with Sikeston for four quarters, in my opinion. I think it will be close, but then the regular Sikeston run and they end up winning by 10.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 1:28 PM
  • Sikeston by 5-8 pts.; ND by 8-15. Fredericktown is playing much better now than earlier in the season, so ND mustn't look past them. I also won't be shocked if Perryville upsets Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 2:03 PM
  • Sikeston by 12 and ND by 20.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 2:41 PM
  • Scott1130,

ND has lost 6 games (Sikeston, Charleston twice, Borgia, Desoto, and NMCC). You have no idea what you are talking about. NOT anyone can beat them, good teams can beat them.

-- Posted by PO526 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 3:58 PM
  • I will agree with you to an extent Po526. Do you consider nmcc a good team? They lost to them on their home floor. But I know, teams get too cocky. I think that's what happened to ND, IMO. But Sikeston punched them in the mouth with turbo clock

-- Posted by dog2167 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 4:07 PM
  • Actually Scott, ND has beaten some good teams: Cape Central (x2), Jackson (x2), SCC (x2), and Perryville. I agree they won't make it out of districts, but they're still a really good team. And if they do win districts, it won't be a huge shocker.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 5:04 PM
  • ND up 15-10 after one. Absolutely not impressed.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:10 PM

Scott, google KGIR 1220. They should be doing the ND game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:22 PM

You'll have to deal with Brainless Bonacke on the call though. ND leads Fredericktown 32-23 at half.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:23 PM
  • -- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:24 PM

Thanks Yah-Yah. I'm on iPhone so copy and paste is not exactly easy for me. I really need to invest in a new computer.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:25 PM

haha, gotcha. just got a new computer myself.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:26 PM

ND leads 52-39 after three unfortunately.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:44 PM

Bonacke just said that Heisserer will bounce back from tonight's game Friday. Last time he put the win before the end of the game, they lost.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:48 PM

Sikeston defeated Fred 68-34 in mid-January. ND beat Fred by about 25 around the same time.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:49 PM

Apparently, if you play for ND, you can have nice form on a travel. #StuffBonackeSays

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 6:57 PM

Notre Dame defeats Fredericktown 70-60 sadly.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 7:07 PM

Sikeston leads Perryville 15-11 after one

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 7:41 PM

Sikeston leads 39-26 at half. Let's keep that going boys. Great efforts by both teams so far. Thieret for Perryville has been an offensive rebounding machine.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 7:56 PM
  • what channel sikeston play on anybody know?

-- Posted by redskins on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 7:59 PM

anybody else lose KSIM?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:11 PM

Sikeston leads 60-36 after three. We're going to live to fight another day. Proud of these boys and the focus they've had.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:23 PM

Sikeston defeats Perryville 82-55. On a related note, Perryville head coach Joel Roth will be stepping down from his position after this game to focus more on teaching and his family according to the Perryville radio announcer. The Pirates had another great season. Congratulations to them on what they accomplished for their program and congratulations to my Sikeston Bulldogs on advancing to their seventh straight district final.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 8:41 PM
  • Way to play guys, great team play, now keep it up and see ya at the game Friday

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:03 PM
  • I'm not surprised Fredericktown played ND close. I'm really surprised Sikeston blew out Perryville. I expected a much better showing from the Pirates. Now at last we're going to settle the Sikeston vs. ND debate on the court!

Up in Jackson, Cape Central blew out Northwest as expected, but Poplar Bluff upset Jackson 59-51. Cape should win that game by 12-15 pts. Sideline, does this change your thinking on Jackson any?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:12 PM

ND has us right where they want us though. They play a tough game tonight against a team they weren't supposed to struggle with while we get a big, emotional win against a quality opponent. They are set for the "Nobody believes in us" while we are in line for the letdown game. The guys have to maintain focus, intensity, belief in each other, and be ready for 32 minutes of gut-wrenching basketball. They need to remember what happened at Notre Dame and right that wrong. I believe in them and Coach Holifield. Go Dogs!

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:13 PM
  • Sideline, thank you for the updates. You always post respectable comments and I enjoy reading your post. Good luck to Sikeston on friday!

-- Posted by deckerd31 on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:14 PM

Preach, I'll focus on other games and rankings and such this weekend. I'm gonna be in full fan mode for most of the next 48 hours. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:14 PM

I appreciate it deckerd. It's like I said earlier in the season. I rode up with Rocket to watch the first Sikeston-Perryville game in Perryville and chatted with a few nice fans and even had some good conversation with Coach Roth for a couple of minutes afterward. Things like that always make me appreciate a team that much more.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:17 PM

Poplar Bluff was the Number 2 seed.

-- Posted by nimbus on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:24 PM
  • Fair enough, Sideline. Good luck to Sikeston and Cape Central Friday night.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:26 PM
  • i don't know how much better sikeston can play than they did tonight and i don't think notre dame could play much worse. should be a good game. notre dame played awful defense tonight. not making a prediction, but it will be awfully tough for ND to go win at the fieldhouse with everything going against you.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:31 PM
  • Sounds like some good games. As I was driving to jackson I was bewildered why I followed a truck from the interstate all the way into Jackson's parking lot with a sikeston bulldog emblem on the rear glass. Anybody know who this could've been?

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:39 PM
  • Scott, your issues with Holifield are?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:45 PM
  • Red F-150?

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:48 PM
  • Red F-150?

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 9:49 PM
  • I'm pretty sure Holifield doesn't overlook teams, prepares for every game and hasn't missed a shot or fouled once this season. Haha. Kids may or may not play their best every game no matter what the coach does. Ever since Holifield has been in Sikeston, his teams have been playing their best during this stretch of the year. Thats all a fan base can ask for. Playoff success and a respectable program, which is exactly what he has created. We will take all fans that want to jump on board. I respect your opinion, it usually is very spot on and sensible.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Feb 22, 2012, at 10:07 PM
  • Scott1130,

Holifield...

-Last two yrs 51-4

-Las't 5 yrs 118-16

-Lost 5 top scorers from last year. (Porter,Howard,Holifield,Hatchett,Gibson)

still has a record this year of 21-4

-Teams play hard and act right

What exactly are your issues with him....

Tough guy to please. Cant go 30-0 every year!

-- Posted by MZ100 on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 8:31 AM

He's got a 240-130 record overall. He's won 110 more than he's lost. That's not exactly a bad thing. In the last seven years, he has lost a total of 32 games while winning 158. That's less than five losses a year while averaging about 22.5. He's done this in Class 4 and in the SEMO Conference which you have plainly said is a great and tough conference year in and year out. He had the first undefeated boys team since Vashon in the early part of the decade I believe. Yes, he did not do great over his first seven years. However, this was at a time when basketball was not a priority like it is now. Very little was there in way of tradition. Once he had success in Mike Porter's freshman year, it brought out the kids to play. Since then, the program has been phenomenal, one of the best in Missouri. Once again, he is 158-32 over the last five years. I don't want to make this a comparison to Farmer because I have mad respect for him as well. However, Farmer has never had a run that good. Holifield has as many titles as Farmer does and he did at a school that wasn't hyper-focused on basketball as Charleston was. He's going to hit 300 wins in the next three years and will continue to compete for state titles in each year. Take off the blue blinders and notice one of the best current coaches in the area along with Farmer.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 6:45 AM

Questioning Holifield's coaching is foolish, and measuring success by number of state championships won is a faulty formula. Championships don't just happen. Winning a title is the end result of a perfect storm. All the elements need to be in place - talent, obviously, as well as more than a little luck, good coaching, and hard work.

Allen Davis, who will be a hall of fame coach, has been at DeSoto for a LONG time. He's never won the big one. Doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. Paul Hale, who IS a hall of famer, won one...in his last year.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:03 AM
  • Slick, you are entitled to be wrong.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:08 AM
  • Captain....I totally agree about all 3 coaches. Allen Davis is a HOF coach and he hasn't one a title (hopefully this won't be the year either..ha!. He is still a GREAT coach.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:21 AM
  • John Wooden didn't win his first national title until his 18th season and many of his teams prior to that were fairly pedestrian. Does that mean he wasn't a good coach for 18 years? Is he judged by those 18 years or is he judged by what he did after that? Think about that for a moment slick and get back to me.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:51 AM
  • Slick, I know you hate Sikeston and Holifield with all that is human inside you. That's fine. I don't care. But think about this. He arrived at Sikeston in 1998-99 and took over a team that had three consecutive losing seasons and he won back to back district championships right off the bat. So it's not like he did NOTHING until the last 6 or 7 years. He had a couple very competitive teams in the early 2000s. An overly brutal schedule and facing the likes of Tipler and Hansbrough, well it's tough to win every game you know. Not many people beat those teams. He went through a couple lean years after that (I challenge any coach that you can think of to win with the talent he had those two years) and now has the program at an elite level.

Tell me how you can honestly look at yourself in the mirror and say you are not impressed. I mean, he's winning at SIKESTON. And as you are so fond of pointing out, Sikeston has NO TRADITION. Right? So doesn't that make what he's done even MORE impressive? And he has done it without a lineup of big-time Division I players. There aren't any 6-foot-9 Tyler Hansbroughs or NBA draft picks like Ricky Frazier or Australian NBA MVPS like Marcus Timmons. Ok, he has had ONE Division I guy in Michael Porter. But for the most part, he is doing it with a bunch of 5-9 to 6-2 guys that just play their butts off. What is not impressive about that? Just a few things to think about. It doesn't matter because Sikeston could win 15 state titles in a row and you would still look for ways to diminish that. And I could care less. I'm just trying to help you out though hoss. I used to have hatred for teams but I'm past all that.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:56 AM
  • If you do our research you will find that Holifield has about 350 career wins and has been very successful everywhere he has coached. Both in baseball and basketball. I would say that he has another 8-10 yrs left in him which would mean he will surpass 500 wins more than likely, at the 4A level that is considered very good. You may not like Sikeston or Holifield but you should respect the job he has done at a school where basketball has not been the focus. No one is taking anything away from Charleston, just adding Sikeston and Holifield to the list of greats in this area.

-- Posted by MZ100 on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:22 AM

scott, Sikeston does have one kid in the 8th grade that could be a post presence in the future. He's 6'4" and seems to still be growing.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:27 AM

We just aren't a town that produces tall kids. No idea why. With eighth grader Cedric McIntyre (not completely positive on that spelling) being the tallest in the system, that tells a lot.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • Don't really know how to answer that Scott. There aren't a lot of tall people in the town is probably the main reason lol. Although there are a few taller guys in the school with 6'6" probably being the tallest, but they don't play basketball and never have. Sikeston's tallest basketball player in school history was 6'7" Ben Anderson in 2003. After that it's Michael Porter at 6'6", although Slick says he's closer to 6'4".

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:34 AM

I thought Dominic Fondon was about 6'6" as well semohoops.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:36 AM

Yea, he was about the same heighth as Mike.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • Fondon was probably not quite 6'6". He was not as tall as Mike. He might have been listed 6'6"....not sure, but he was closer to 6'5"

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:40 AM
  • slick is researching his rear off right now trying to find any stat or tidbit he/she can to try and dismantle your rebuttle hoops...lol....if the Bulldogs were 15-10....no one would give a rip. Success breeds enemies...doesn't mean they are worthy opponents.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:53 AM
  • Sikeston's tallest players since 1990 off memory.

90 - Tony Vinson 6-5

91 - Chris Moore 6-5

92 - Chris Moore 6-5

93 - Chris Moore 6-5

94 - Justin Harris 6-4

95 - James Harris 6-5

96 - Jerry Mitchell 6-3

97 - John Sanders 6-2

98 - Bryan Ellitt 6-4

99 - Bryan Ellitt 6-4

00 - Bryan Ellitt 6-5

01 - Lontas McClinton 6-2

02 - Ben Anderson 6-7

03 - Ben Anderson 6-7

04 - Joel Nabors 6-2

05 - Josh Alvarado 6-3

06 - Michael Porter 6-3

07 - Michael Porter 6-5

08 - Michael Porter 6-5

09 - Michael Porter 6-6

10 - Juqualin Wiggins 6-2

11 - Corey Porter 6-2

12 - Keldon Warfield 6-2

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:07 AM

Someone as tall as him dunking is not that impressive, even if it was on someone! With his athletic ability, he should do that several times a game. Now you give me someone 6'2 or shorter dunking like that, then that would be impressive. Don't get me wrong, it was a great dunk, but it should be the norm for him.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:10 AM

That was a charge... not a dunk... LOL!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:15 AM

Yea, it was called a charge. But, it looked like DGB barely clipped the kid and he flopped. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:23 AM

Cheese, got any highlight vids of any of Monroe's dunks? I hear he's had some highlight-reel quality ones.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • And the sikeston dynasty is just starting, slick the future of sikeston basketball is great.

Y'all had your dynastys in the past, and now coach is setting us up to have a long run of state championship caliber teams.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:28 AM

I don't have any video's of them but yeah, he's had some pretty great dunks this year. Had one last night against Bernie but it was just a really strong one handed slam, his normal dunks. I agree, looked like a charge to me now I went back and saw the clip again.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 10:39 AM
  • Monroe definitely explodes off the floor. He is a true beast down low. I'm looking forward to hearing more about him the next two years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 2:20 PM
  • The Dexter girls beat Notre Dame 62-38

-- Posted by KevinWintersMorriss on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:56 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: