High School Basketball Forum: Week of 1/16/12 Scores

Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 12:09 PM:

Great week to be a Southeast Missouri HS basketball fan. Lots of great match-ups and highly anticipated games as well. Who all is going to make the trip to Charleston Friday night to watch the #1 and #6 ranked Class 3 teams clash?

I think Sikeston has Jackson that night but if you guys wanna make the trip you can sit with me and cheese hah!!

Replies (172)

We've got Kennett in Sikeston that night Beef. Otherwise, I'd be there.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 12:12 PM

About to tip off in Memphis as Cville takes on Dyer County. I will give quarterly updates.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:05 PM

Cville 18 Dyer County 21 End of 1st

Monroe has 10 points against a much better and bigger team.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:27 PM

We are gonna need Hudson to get in foul trouble for us to have a chance in the long run, they are out rebounding us which is understandable with there shortest guy being 6'2...

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:29 PM
  • This Monroe kid must be something else as a soph. Hoping i can get to game on Friday in Charleston. We all need him in a Mizzou uniform in about 3 years it sounds like....

-- Posted by gerardo on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:33 PM

He's in foul trouble so not looking good!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:35 PM

Dyer County is had to slow the pace, getting tired! They are hitting all their shots though.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:38 PM

C'ville is getting beat on the boards, that's the story of this game. DC went on a good run when we had it down to a 2 point lead. This is gonna be a learning game for the Tigers.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:46 PM

Cville 30 Dyer County 39 Halftime

Rebounding is killing us!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:46 PM

Monroe is not gonna be on the hardwood he is gonna be on the gridiron...Cville down by 9 at the half 39-30.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:47 PM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Robert-Hubbs-129502

Thats what Caruthersville is dealing with, he had 15 points in the first half.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:51 PM
  • yeah, i was referring to football. Obviously just a great all round athlete though in HS

-- Posted by gerardo on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 3:59 PM

I turned the game off, it was getting ugly and I just can't stand to listen to it HAH...

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:07 PM

Cville 41 Dyer County 56 End of 3rd

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:13 PM

Hub is killing us and we are getting killed on rebounds. Still impressed with our effort though, they are competing at least. This will def help Cville later down the road

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:15 PM

Cville 54 Dyer County 76 2:15 left

Hubb has 32 and dunking left and right

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:25 PM

Cville 62 Dyer County 85 Final

Talk about a butt whooping. Very talented team in DC.. No wonder they are ranked highly nationally.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:29 PM

They said that Hubb is getting recruited by Kentucky and I can believe it. Outstanding athlete.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:31 PM

Well, atleast with all of the easy lay-ups DC got in this game maybe it taught C-ville how to make some of their own. That the only logic I can find with the transition defense, cause there was none HAH...if we do not get the offensive rebound its easy picken's for the other team. Happened against Earle and Dyer County.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:32 PM

Caruthersville will be fine. They won't face another team like this all year. DC would beat anyone in Semo by 15+ so I am not taking this loss to hard. Cville will come ready to play Friday night against Charleston! Still love my boys!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:37 PM

They need a little criticism every once in a while. Hopefully it will get them fired up for this game Friday. We have a good young team, we play hard and do the best we can. We have to make those easy baskets its gonna hurt in the long run when you play good teams that out-rebound you.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 4:39 PM
  • Scott City 78 East Prarie 39 Final

-- Posted by igobybob on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:20 PM

I'll be at the Charleston vs caruthersville game... can't wait, hopefully it will be as good as advertised

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:31 PM
  • Hubbs is the one I mentioned before that came from Mississippi. His dad is now on the coaching staff at Dyer County. He is no doubt an elite talent.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:26 PM
  • Sikeston played this Dyer County team last summer in the Dexter Rib City Classic. They are very talented. Sikeston had the game won, but Hubbs drained a 3 at the buzzer to send it to OT. DC won the OT by scoring the first basket, per summer rules.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:27 PM
  • Beef trust me those boys get criticized win lose or draw by the boss and by that I mean Coach Heeb. Trust me when I say there are no moral victories for the Tigers. They are never satisfied with how they played even when they win so I know they were upset that they didn't play better today. Belton hurt his knee nothing serious but it really slowed him down and slowed the team down. Darrell got triple teamed all day long and still had about 20 points. Other guys stepped up for the Tigers today like Tyler Cobb and like everybody said DC is a great team. Cville could still be playing weak teams like Cooter and Kelly but instead they are trying to get better by playing tough teams and it will pay off. All Cville fans should be proud of this team because they play hard and never have a bad attitude out there. They get better every week let's just hope by the end of the year they can compete with Charleston cause that is all that counts.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:44 PM

gocvilletigers, I know even in a victory Heeb is going to find everything and nit-pick about it, that's what makes a good coach. Me and Cheese have praised these guys efforts each week win or lose. I enjoy watching them play and I know they can do better than what they have been doing. I knew we were gonna get beat in this game and that's fine makes us better in the long run.

Heeb can coach all of the hustle and intensity that he wants to into these guys and they will give that effort out on the court every night. However when we are constantly missing easy shots within 4 feet of the basket is just hard to explain. I know we are outsized almost every game so we are gonna have to make those few second chance opportunities on the offensive glass count. Caruthersville is being dubbed as an elite team in SEMO and we are going to have to start showing that on the offensive side of the ball. Darrell Monroe will get his points he is probably the best shooter we have inside of 3 point range on the team.

Shooting comes with practice no half time speech is going to make a difference if you can not convert easy buckets.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • Very true Beef the boys have to finish easy shots and make their free throws. They have shown the ability to do that this season at Portageville and at the D'burg Christmas Tournament. Like you said they will always hustle and play hard so when they do make shots these Tigers are a great team. I'm just hoping that they put it all together in the next few weeks. Elbie, Belton, Steve, and Jamal have all had big scoring games this year. They just need to get consistent like you said and make those easy shots.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:58 AM
  • That Hubbs kid for DC is easily the best player I have seen in the last couple of years. He is the complete package.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:16 AM

And that's saying a lot coming from you Matt. I know you have been to tons of games over the last couple years. Heck, you probably have seen more games than me and I go to just about every game plus other teams games as well. Cville will be fine and they will come ready to play against Charleston. Should be a very excited game to say the least

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:25 AM
  • Sorry to ask what is obvious to most of you, but what state is Dyer County? Tennessee I think? Or Kentucky?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:48 AM
  • @GreatFun They are from Tennessee. @Cheesehead He is a legitimate D1 starter in my opinion

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:21 AM
  • -- Posted by bootheelhooper on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:38 AM

I find it funny how they post the Cville articles of the games when they lose! Not once have I seen a article of us winning on here! Go figure!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:17 PM

Anyone have a list of games for tonight? Who does Sikeston play?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:20 PM

Sikeston plays Farmington tonight in Sikeston. I don't know much about the Knights except they gave DeSoto a good game so this could be interesting.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:23 PM

Cheese, they have Farmington tonight and Kennett Friday night, both home games.

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:24 PM

Thanks guys.. Guess since Cville is off tonight, I will listen to Sikeston online! Good Luck

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:30 PM
  • i know this is off topic but where are class 3 districs held this year?

-- Posted by gerardo on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:37 PM

Bloomfield

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:37 PM

Cheesehead I agree with you on the news stuff. I found it funny how both times sikeston lost to charleston, the articles started off buried way down the line of stories, but both articles about them bouncing back with wins in the next game, was the headline article that pops up when the website comes up. Not downing sikeston fans, cause the had nothing to do with it, just the example I thought of.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:44 PM
  • now just whot are you tryin to say Bockmajor? who woulde wins if nmc plays siketon this year? who is ur picketbook saying Bucko?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:11 PM

Sikeston wood when whot whot

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:32 PM
  • Who wrote the Caruthersville article? It sounded very pro-Dyer County as if the writer covers them regularly. How did that get on semoball?

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 5:44 PM

Daily Dunklin Democrat article out of Kennett

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:28 PM
  • Did the DC coach, Derek McCord, play at North Pemiscot a few years ago?

-- Posted by The Fan on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:38 PM
  • Pretty sure Derek McCord played at North Pem. His Dad was an Administrator there years ago.

-- Posted by rediar on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:55 PM

NMCC JV beats Twin Rivers JV 62-32

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:05 PM
  • Oran 65, Delta 33 in the Scott Miss. Tourny.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:27 PM

Twin Rivers leads 5-4 after the first

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:37 PM

NMCC leads 24-12 at the half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:52 PM
  • 37-23 Sikeston up on Farmington at half.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 7:58 PM
  • Jackson 28 pb 27 at half

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:04 PM

NMCC leads 44-27 after 3

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:15 PM
  • 53-41 Sikeston after 3.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:19 PM

semohoops

Regarding the article from the Caruthersville-Dyer County game, I was wondering the same thing. The last article posted on the semoball front page in regards to Caruthersville is when they played Kennett, we have tried multiple times to get articles posted on here and me and cheese have had to copy and paste or link the articles from the local papers facebook page. Looks like they pick and choose what articles are posted which is fine but if you can't post anything other than our losses don't post any at all.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:20 PM
  • Risco 56 Cooter 14 Half

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:24 PM

NMCC wins 59-44. We played really good tonight. Our new players did great, so did our freshman who moved up to full time varsity.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:31 PM
  • Sikeston over Farmington 67-54.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • Jackson pb tied 4:30 left

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:36 PM

So Rocket, are all you Sikeston fans coming to Cville next friday?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:37 PM
  • I'll be there.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:40 PM

Im comin!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:45 PM
  • 68-47 kennett over south pem in the 4th

-- Posted by mule1993 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:46 PM

I'll let you guys know what I'm wearing that night and I'l come over to talk before the game!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:46 PM
  • Jackson pb overtime

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:50 PM
  • Risco 93 @ Cooter 42 Final

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:51 PM

Cheese, I will be there for that one!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:52 PM

I may just wear my Brett Favre Jersey so I will be easy to spot out!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:54 PM

I should be riding up with rocketsbro for that one Cheese barring an unforeseen setback. Also, good job to Sikeston tonight on another win against an underrated Farmington team. Let's keep the momentum going into Friday.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:55 PM

You all will have to excuse my actions next friday, I may get a little loud so just don't pay attention to me lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:04 PM

Preaching to the choir Cheese. Just ask the folks that sit with me.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:05 PM
  • 56-52 pb

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:06 PM
  • We don't mind loud. I've been known to get a little rowdy myself. On a side note, have you ever broke a hat at a basketball game?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:07 PM

I'm anticipating two good games. Our JV has only lost once to my knowledge and that was to Earle, Ark.. I think it will be a very close Varsity game! Should be a fun night

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:07 PM

No, but I have almost pushed beef down the bleachers lol..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:08 PM
  • The bluff win for Kennett is apparently better than I thought with Bluff beating Doniphan and Jackson. Kennett has quietly put together some nice wins for a team that graduated nine seniors and is starting four new kids. Kuddos to coach Vaughan and his staff.

-- Posted by indianchief on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:12 PM

That was at a football game though, I had a bruise on my shin for a month after wards. Thanks for reminding me about it though I had totally forgotten about it.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:12 PM
  • Central beat saxony pretty bad tonight for what it's worth. Not an exciting game at all we played really slow and ran completely through plays. We probably took an average of 25 seconds off the clock before shots. I'm not a fan of slowing the game down at all so tonight was hard for me to watch.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:17 PM
  • any updates on the scott miss tourny?

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:19 PM
  • coaches are brothers at saxony n cape so he probably took it easy

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:32 PM

Charleston wins 83-27 over Vienna IL in Superman Classic.....will play Carbondale on Thursday night

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:37 PM
  • regarding the c'ville article, I noticed it was written by ( mike smith of the semo news service) it appears that ddd just ran the story and did not write the story. Dont know if that helps or not .

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • I've been hearing alot about one of the Walker boys from Portageville quitting. Just wondering if anybody knew how much truth there was too that? If it is true, is it Tevin or Dominique?

-- Posted by bleacherking on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:10 PM
  • Cheese....I will be at the game as well. Rowdy, loud....I've never been accused of that!! Lol! I enjoy fans being passionate about their team. I am VERY PASSIONATE about the Dogs! I can appreciate the same from other fans. I fully expect two very well contested games. Of course though.....Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:34 PM
  • C-TOWN!!!! LOVE THOSE BLUE JAYS!!!!!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO FRIDAY NIGHT! NOTHING MORE TO BE SAID!!!!!! BUT GO CASSELL! GO GRAY! GO HULL! GO PARHAM! GO SCOTT! GO TUCKER! GO WATKINS AND ALL OF THE BLUE JAYS FAM!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:36 PM
  • Please! It is early and I have a headache.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 7:57 AM
  • -- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 8:17 AM
  • Sportsnerd, cape has the dad, mike church, and older brother while Saxony has the younger brother. It was like a family gathering at central last night.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 9:47 AM
  • Patience pays. Good one.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 10:21 AM
  • Not trying to be rude by any means, but why do Charleston fans seen to always type in CAPS? Lol

-- Posted by bjkl_97 on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 3:43 PM
  • Birdfan

The Daily Dunklin Democrat out of Kennett did not write the Caruthersville-Dyer County article.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 6:24 PM
  • Birdfan

The Daily Dunklin Democrat out of Kennett did not write the Caruthersville-Dyer County article.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 6:25 PM
  • 11-7 Risco. 3:28 first. Timeout Holcomb.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:29 PM
  • Rolisco leads Holcomb 22-12 after one.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:33 PM
  • 24-22 Risco. Timeout Risco 5:04 second.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:39 PM
  • 31-26 Risco. Timeout Holcomb. 2:22 second.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:44 PM
  • Risco leads Holcomb 35-29 at halftime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:51 PM
  • Charleston 40 Cville 28 halftime....

-- Posted by Basketballbj on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:58 PM

NMCC JV beat dexter JV.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 7:59 PM
  • 43-41 Holcomb. Timeout Risco. 3:20 third.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:10 PM
  • Hey I'm new here and just have one question. Did scc and Risco play against each other this summer and what happened or y didn't they play?

-- Posted by B-ball-fan on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:14 PM
  • Holcomb leads Risco 53-47 after three.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:17 PM
  • Holcomb leads Risco 57-49. 6:42 remaining.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:20 PM
  • 64-60 Holcomb. 2:57. Timeout Holcomb.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:30 PM
  • 69-65 Holcomb. 0:57.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:33 PM
  • Portageville 34 Malden 17 Half

-- Posted by paulbd on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • 69-67 Holcomb. 0:19.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • Holcomb defeats Risco 72-67.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • Charleston 75 Cville 60 final.... Charleston led by as .much as 26

-- Posted by Basketballbj on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 8:50 PM

The top ten is definitely going to see some changes this week.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:06 PM
  • Puxico upsets Bernie 85-65

-- Posted by SCAA Fan on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:10 PM
  • Puxico upsets Bernie 85-65

-- Posted by SCAA Fan on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:10 PM
  • Didn't mean to post twice sorry

-- Posted by SCAA Fan on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:14 PM
  • Can't help but say it, what a game tonight between Risco and Holcomb. Both teams showed a ton of fight. Both were down by 10 at one point and came back and swapped leads. Should be a great matchup if they play in the tri-county conference finals, we will see who wins round 3.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 9:38 PM
  • I agree Bleacherking !! I knew it would be a battle ! Was hoping we could pull it out but just wasn't meant to be ! Hats off to Holcomb ! They played very good tonight and the better team on this night won !

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:01 PM
  • It's always fun to watch two teams compete when they play two completely opposites styles! Have to give it to Risco, it's nice to see a team and their fans play with class like they did. Anybody from Risco willing to teach Clarkton this? Haha

-- Posted by bleacherking on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:09 PM
  • Sorry about that Ron, that was directed toward 'nerd.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:17 PM
  • good job scc you played a game as a team keep it up

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:46 PM
  • Anyone have Senath-Hornersville-South Pemiscot score?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • is holcomb that good? i didnt think anyone could do that to risco this year...did risco have players out? im just wondering cause i thought risco was untouchable

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:01 PM
  • Risco did have one player on limited minutes. Holcomb has a 6'7 kid down low, so as you can imagine thats not easy to match up with.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:14 PM
  • so did the height kill risco?or was it just the saying anyone can be beat on any given day?

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:17 PM
  • Yes, Risco had a starter that didn't play much at all. The same was true with Holcomb the first time they played. One of their starters, who was on the all-tournament team at the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament, didn't play during the first match-up. Hopefully both teams will make it to the conference tournament championship and have every player available.

-- Posted by double43 on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:23 PM
  • Actually, I thought Risco played well against Massey (6'7 guy) and actually overall out-rebounded Holcomb throughout the game. I think Holcomb was able to control the tempo and not allow Risco to get many transition buckets by being patient on offense and always getting back on defense. Risco got into foul trouble and I could definitely tell they were missing a guy in rotations on subs. I think it was a great game between two very competitive teams. I want to say that Chris Pavy can flat out light it up when he gets going. He scored 25 for Risco tonight, I think. Massey had 23 for Holcomb and Ryan Reeves had 21. Those might be wrong, but are very close. Btw, I didn't think of this as a huge upset either. Risco beat Holcomb by 10 at the beginning of the season in a very close game with both teams having leads of more than 10. So, I knew it was going to be a nail biter and it was what I expected.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:25 PM
  • is risco and holcomb in the same class and district?

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:26 PM
  • Risco is Class 1 and Holcomb is Class 2. Both are in the same conference though.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:28 PM

Risco is class 1 and Holcomb is class 2.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:28 PM
  • I would say that both teams have a legitimate shot at winning their districts, especially Risco considering the district their in. Almost a given.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:34 PM
  • It was a very good game between risco and holcomb. Both fought hard to the end. Hopefully we'll see this match-up again in conference. Can't wait! Hopefully Fowler can get that ankle healed up and return to the starting line-up.

-- Posted by dont worry on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 1:17 AM
  • excuses excuses excuses the game is over Holcomb won. Both teams are great!

-- Posted by Chog65 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:07 AM

Are there any games today other than SCC-Sturgeon?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:23 AM

Charleston-Massac Co

-- Posted by nimbus on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 12:09 PM

Don't know how I forgot about that one.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 12:25 PM
  • Really I've never heard anybody blame refs for a loss

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 1:47 PM
  • AGAIN! excuses excuses excuses the game is over Holcomb won. Both teams are great!

-- Posted by Chog65 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 1:49 PM
  • Proud Pa Pa, if you knew as much about the history of this referee and his past with Holcomb as you think you do, I think you would feel differently. For one thing, I'm personally not a fan of calling out any one individual on a public forum. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 2:01 PM
  • Proud pa pa,

Ok, seriously? The first time Holcomb played Risco, Holcomb spent the majority of the game with their two guards (both Reeves brothers) on the bench with foul trouble. Despite the fact that Risco plays high intensity, 3/4 and full court pressure defense, while Holcomb plays in a 1-3-1 zone, the first matchup featured a foul count that was actually tilted heavily in Risco's favor. Someone has to explain to me how thats ever the case. However, did any Holcomb fan get on here on a public forum and call out an official? Not that I recall. I personally did watch the game on YHC, and sir it's hard to get a 6 foot 7 post player into foul trouble when you do nothing but stand around and shoot jumpers all game. It's also hard to get him into foul trouble when he blocks a half dozen shots a game without ever leaving his feet. Risco's own coach admitted in the DDD article that their kids did not attack the rim tonight. Foul trouble aided Risco's win over Holcomb at Bernie, and the shoe was on the other foot here. Both were great games, so let it be.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 2:21 PM
  • I agree ! I'm a huge Risco fan and we just got beat . Fouls alone did not beat us and refs alone did not beat us . We had a lot of turnovers from sloppy passes . Something we really need to work on . The style of defense we play we have to expect we are gonna get called for more fouls than our opponents as its happened all year . Right now with the injuries our bench is just not as deep and we can't afford to be as aggressive on defense which hurts us against bigger teams . Something that's gonna have to be adjusted for. But the game is over and we got beat so let's move on ! We got a scrappy Gideon team Tuesday night at Risco ! We are 12-2 and this is only our 3rd home game . It's good to be at home for a change !

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 3:22 PM
  • Oh i agree we played a really sloppy game and couldnt hit a three for anything! If holcomb hates winston so much how come hes always their ref? Everytime risco plays there hes the ref!!! I know for the last ten yrs when were there he is! Are we just that lucky or what? He tries to make all the calls from across court or thirty feet away, he tries to over rule the others calls. But anyway like you said its over and done. We better watch out for gideon there really playing good ball!! Will be nice to have a home game again!!!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 4:45 PM
  • I'm really not sure where you are coming up with this nonsense. I haven't missed a home game this year and I know for a fact this was the first game he has reffed at Holcomb.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 4:57 PM
  • Risco hit plenty of 3's. Pavy alone hit more than the entire Holcomb team. But you can't complain about lack of fouls on a post player when you never try to get into the lane. However, Massey rarely gets in foul trouble anyway because there is no need for him to leave his feet.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 5:30 PM
  • i have this information because ive been there everytime risco plays hes the ref. but like i said its over we lost and we ll be down there in 2014 and if hes still reffing i bet he ll be there then1 which pavy? im talking percentage wise. jordon pavy was on bench most of game for fouls which were blocked shots. how many threes did holcomb shoot? four? five? we dont have a 6'7 inside man we have to shoot threes! i think we hit less than 20% last nite we usually hit alot better than that jeremy will be back next time and things will be different. like i said we better both watch out for gideon!!!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 7:09 PM
  • proud pa pa,

Is it possible for you to tip your cap to the other team? Even just a little bit?

-- Posted by double43 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 7:20 PM
  • South Iron with a 50-38 win over PB . I think they may have something to say in this class 1 talk . I know PB is down but still a pretty big win for a class 1 team . In my opinion bigger than any win by SCC or Risco. Gonna be a very competitive class 1 playoff race for a change !

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 7:27 PM
  • This will be the first year in a while that class one could be up for grabs. It'd be crazy if South Iron grabbed it out of nowhere!

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 8:48 PM
  • Four games in five nights including games on Thursday, Friday, and tonight. If anyone had any doubts about how special this team is---this week should squelch those doubts. 18-1, THREE tournament wins, #1 ranking in the state. All is right in Blue Jay nation. Couldn't happen to a finer group of young men.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:51 PM
  • So who is the best 1A team? Sounds like South Iron has a stronger vote than Risco? Do South Iron play Risco or SCC?

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • pe-co85 only in the state playoffs.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • i said it earlier but sure ill say it again, holcomb has a great team and they played a great game. i know you have to play the cards your dealt. great bunch of kids and i hope they go all the way. ill be rooting for them all the way!!!!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:01 PM
  • Last year South Iron was supposed to be good also, somehow they let Chadwich beat them. When SCC played Chadwich they looked like a JV team.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:01 PM
  • thanks bob

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:15 PM
  • Got this off another board.

Sturgeon defeated Scott Co Central 73-62. Sturgeon was lead by Lane Arends with 23 points. Spencer Kelly added 21, including 6-7 from the free throw line to finish the game. Lorenzo Chisholm also added 15 points for the Bulldogs. Sturgeon is now 13-2 and plays Wellsville on Tuesday in the first round of the Sturgeon Tournament.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:16 PM
  • thanks bob

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:16 PM
  • Is Sturgeon good enought to win the Class 2 state title again? Any Sturgeon fans out there? Who will be their competition on the way to Columbia?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:01 PM
  • I cannot stress how different the Class 1 state playoffs will be compared to last season.

igobybob

Scott County Central has a chance to win the state title. But South Iron was very young last season and Risco has a veteran team this year. North Pemiscot and Clarkton might not be that far behind Risco.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:05 PM
  • The Tri-County Conference is historically strong. I've followed basketball in southeast Missouri for years. The Tri-County has multiple teams that can contend for the state final four in multiple classes.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:06 PM
  • The Pavy that led your team in scoring. Figured that was implied.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:31 PM

Dustin, North Pem is a one man team and he is about to graduate. I watched them play Richland and they have a long way to go before you can compare them to SCC, Risco, and or South Iron.I have not seen Clarkton play this year so I really can not comment on their team or program.

With that being said,you are very right when you say that Class 1 dynamics have completely changed!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:37 PM
  • For the record, Risco made 12 Threes. Thats a pretty good night considering they supposedly couldn't "buy a 3".

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:47 PM
  • Gideon beats Delta C-7 86-32 Friday night.

-- Posted by chelco on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:01 AM
  • So who won between Charleston-Massac Co?

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:15 AM
  • Charleston won by 19.....74-55

-- Posted by Basketballbj on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 1:16 AM
  • When Tri-County conference teams battle it out anything can happen catfish.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 2:16 AM
  • The most loses SCC has ever had and still won state is 6. They are at 6 loses now and I easily see 2 more in the future (Notre Dame and Maplewood RH). They do play a brutal schedule for a class 1 school, but to repeat this year will be one of the toughest challenges for them to ever overcome.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 7:34 AM
  • But the Class 1 team that gets out of southeast Missouri region (I'm including South Iron in this) likely has a legit shot.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:33 PM
  • I think SEMO has 5 legit class 1 contenders this year in SCC , South Iron , Risco , Oak Ridge and Leopold . If Risco doesn't make it I hope whichever of these teams male it up there do win it !!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 2:40 PM
  • Sturgeon beat Glasgow No. 3 in Class 1 for their 1st loss after being 10-0. They are also in their conference. They play in District 7. Salisbury No. 1 team in Class 2, Harrisburg, Fayette (has the Marshall kid. 6'10" going to Mo. State) New Franklin, Fredrick Douglass, Westran, and Slater. Probably the toughest Class 2 district in the state. Who wins this district prolly will be in Columbia.

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 10:47 PM
  • Interesting thoughts country-dude

Are your from Columbia area?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 11:05 PM
  • Salisbury won this district last year and was upset by New Bloomfield in the state quarterfinal last year. New Bloomfield had a .500 record and finished fourth in the state last year. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Jan 23, 2012, at 9:13 AM
  • Salisbury has twin guards around 6'3. A 6'6 post player. Another 6'6 post. and also have 6'5 and 6'6 on the bench. Tallest Class 2 school I have ever seen.

-- Posted by coachcmiller on Mon, Jan 23, 2012, at 1:28 PM
  • Dustin, from St. Louis, now the in semo area. Go to alot of games everywhere.

-- Posted by country-dude on Mon, Jan 23, 2012, at 3:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: