High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston vs Charleston rematch 1/06/12

Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 1:53 AM:

Should Sikeston go fullman or zone match up against Charleston?

Replies (171)

• From watching both the bulldogs and the bluejays play: I think that the bull dogs should go either fullman or match up zone defense. There is no need to press in the 2-2-1 zone press and follow by a 3-2 zone defense against the bluejays. Reason being, the bluejays are a good jump shooting team;therefore, the zone is to keep penatration out the inside. The bluejays will be in their comfort zone, in the 3-2 zone because of their shooters. We got to put pressure on Parham, Tucker and Cassell. The way to do this is put our best three defensive players on these guys in a man-to- man or zone match up. However, this will stop the the four corner stall offense if they are up one point with two minutes left on the clock in the fourth quarter. The 3-2 zone defense will leave one of the above mention players open for a shot. In closing, Gerg Tucker is a bait, if we focus too much on him solely, Parham and Cassell will be open.

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:22 AM
  • What suggestions do you gurus have?

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:26 AM
  • This guru says get there early and enjoy the games.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 7:30 AM
  • Wow, that was quite a suggestion!

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 8:24 AM
  • Red Dogs gonna have to make SURE to get out on the perimeter and not let Charleston shoot like they did last night.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 9:08 AM
  • use all the bodies available and just foul Krushon scott

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 9:43 AM

I agree Wiseman.Because CHS knows Sikeston is a zone team so they will go in with the same game plan as before.Give them a diferant look.Put pressure on the guards.If Sikeston plays with intensity that they showed in ST LOUIS they will come out on top.Defense the whole 4 quarters.If they are patient on offense kick the ball out if the post doesnt have a shot then we should see a great SHS team.I know CHS is riding a high wave with the wins they have.So SHS will have to stay focus and feed off a group of fans that will bring the house down in cheerng for the BULLDOGS.GO DOGS.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 10:25 AM

This game is going to come down to who is shooting the 3 ball better. Sikeston will play the defense to make it where Charleston will have to hit 3's and Charleston will leave some dribble penatration and S-town will have to kick out to the open shooter. **** good game though wish I could make it.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 10:39 AM
  • Sikeston will press out of it's patented 2-2-1 press then fall back into a 2-3 zone. stlfan...I think we both agree that SHS's intensity was MUCH BETTER in the Christmas tourney. THAT is what they need....not man-to-man defense. They can get pressure on the ball out of the 2-3. They just have to create it....like they did in St. Louis.

I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze the Dogs, but the two losses really affected them. Some of the kids had NEVER lost in a Bulldog uniform. It was a shock to their system. Then they, frankly, didn't play well against ND (some credit goes to ND) and took another loss. The Dogs came out flat in the first game game of the Christmas tourney, but really ratcheted up the intensity and played some of their best basketball of the season. It was VERY GOOD to see!!!

I think the outcome of this game will be different this time. Charleston has a very good team...no doubt. I think Sikeston will pull out a close, hard fought game.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 12:22 PM
  • Thanks for the comments!

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 12:52 PM
  • i think sikestons best bet is to stay in a matchup zone. not go full man because sikeston is good defensively but parham and tucker know how to get to the rim at will. i believe if they stay man the entire game they could get beat frequetly on backdoor cuts.from what i saw at the christmast tournament charlestons offense had a lot of problems against scott citys 1-3-1 and centrals 1-3-1 matchup gave them problems when they had to set up in the half court (same happened in both central games).

-- Posted by cape222 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:31 PM
  • though either way i still believe charleston will win simply because of how many different players on their team that can create offense for themselves without tucker i think this will be a 8pt charleston win

-- Posted by cape222 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:35 PM

If Sikeston can play physical the way they did in St. Dominic Wednesday and Friday and work the ball inside like they have, they'll win in a close game. Again, I don't think changing up the defense or not changing it is going to decide this game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:40 PM
  • Agreed sideline....Sikeston has MUCH more success when kicking the ball inside, then looking to score, kick the ball out for a perimeter shot or hitting a cutter going to the basket.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:42 PM

Also, Markeith Bratcher is developing into a gamechanger for Sikeston and is doing a good job stuffing the stay sheet. Plus, JT Jones is getting more time on the floor which is good. The kid got all-tournament honors at St. Dom coming off the bench.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 2:45 PM
  • starter how long before we see Jones in the starting lineup? From everything I hear about Sikeston he is their best inside player.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 4:37 PM

Hooper, he is essentially getting starting minutes as is Bratcher. Those two as well as the starting five all get similar numbers besides Jamison who is getting a bit more. I don't if he'll ever become the true "starter" this year but he is still getting more than adequate time.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 4:41 PM
  • I would like to see Hollifield use his bench more. I don't understand why Sheey, Ray and Reese Porter don't play more. The last couple of years the depth of the bench has been one of their strengths. Against a team like Charleston that's just as athletic as Sikeston a couple extra bodys to help wear them down would be good.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 4:45 PM

Fatboy, I know Cord was nursing a few nagging injuries through the beginning part of the season which he has recovered from to a degree. He saw a lot of action against St. Dominic last night. For Porter and Ray, I think you'll see them worked in more as time goes on.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 4:48 PM
  • Fatboy....Coach Holifield plays 9 just about every night. I would say that is pretty good usage of his bench.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 5:03 PM
  • Where's this game being played?

I'd like to see Charleston pull it off, but if the game is at Sikeston, I'm going with the Bulldogs. Tough to beat them at home once, let alone twice in a year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 5:43 PM
  • Oh and Happy New Years to everyone, even you Sikeston fans lol :).

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 5:45 PM
  • Let me first say that I have the greatest respect for the Holifield and his coaching staff. There is a lot more to being a coach than what defense you decide to play.

That having been said, I would like to know how many steals the team has at this point this year versus last years team. I think that steals are a reflection of defensive pressure. Now I did not get to any of the games in St. Louis so the coaches may have already made adjustments. Howard was a stealing machine last year and Hatchett was pretty darn good too. When they guarded the perimeter or in the press their additional height created more defensive pressure. And as far as speed, well I have yet to see someone with better reflexes and explosive speed than Howard. I once saw him make two steals and score twice in less than 5 seconds.

I don't think there would be any great advantage to play man against Charleston. I would like to see them work on playing some man to man so they could use it intermittently against Notre Dame and other teams that want to slow the game down. I think Charleston has shown over two games in playing ND that man is a more difficult defense for them to cope with. In my opinion, Sikeston and Charleston seem to have pretty equal athletic talent this year and what works for one probably would help the other.

Happy New Years, and yes Farm, even to you guys at Notre Dame.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 6:59 PM
  • Happy New Year to everyone on semoball! Thanks for your in put on this topic!

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Dec 31, 2011, at 9:48 PM

Citizen...to answer your question on steals the last stat sheet I checked they are solid on steals.They caused 28 turnovers against a well coached HOLT team.From Individual points the senior leading Jamsion has turned it up several notches.He average is around 5 steals a game leading in two points fg three point fg 3rd in rebounding at 5'9.Second you have Bratcher that creates havoc on the defensive end when he is in.What can u say about JT.He is a great post player for a tenth grader.As far as Porter an Ray I dont think they are mature enough to come in and play a solid game.Ray tends to take bad shots that showing was at ND.Porter is getting better has to be stronger in the post.Ruffin is good when he is hitting shots sometimes I think his shot selection could be better.Dont shoot your team in a whole.Coleman he is a go getter on Defense.Warfield is getting stronger on the glass.CHS will see a more intense game from the SHS crew.I see SHS not letting them come and take another victory.It will be a battle.As long as they dont get caught up in Tuckers front for Cassell an Parham. They will be fine.Of course everyone brings their best when you have a rival such as SHS/CHS.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sun, Jan 1, 2012, at 8:09 AM
  • Making adjustments is typically how you try to fix things. For Sikeston to go to a man to man would be like Syracuse to drop the zone they have played for years and go to a man defense. How about if Tom Brady were going against the top secondary, scrap the throwing game and strictly run? I'm sure that Coach Holifield will make adjustments for every team to try and take away things they do well and will make adjustments in the things the Bulldogs are not doing as well as they should. Teams do what they do, and make adjustments to fit who they are going against.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sun, Jan 1, 2012, at 1:01 PM
  • Sideline, are you still gonna be around for this one?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 1:54 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna be in the area until the 20th or so. Then, I head out and I'll be around for occasional games after that.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • bro....are you gonna make the C'ville game?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 2:15 PM
  • I will be at the C'ville game.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 3:57 PM
  • I will be at the game super early, to get a good view! Go bulldogs!

-- Posted by Wise one on Wed, Jan 4, 2012, at 11:28 PM

I am camping out the night before!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 12:03 AM

Charleston-71

Sikeston-60

This Jays team is just like the other great championship teams. Seize the moment and say you will bring home the championship trophy!!!!!!! Thats the "Killer Instinct"!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 8:40 AM

I'm not a basketball coach, but IMO, it's the same in football and basketball...if you can play man, play man.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 8:52 AM

In fact, I thought that's what basketball is for...gives DB's something to work on in the winter.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 8:53 AM

I differ with LU outcome.I think the SHS fans will see a more entense SHS squad who will refuse to allow the CHS team come in a defeat them on their home court twice.I think the senior leadership will kick in an I think the mistakes of bad shot selections in the prior game wont happen in this match up.I think SHS will win a close one by 7.I think the defense will be spectacular for SHS an wont have the collapse as before.I do believe that SHS needs to be patient on offense.I know they are a running team but CHS can run to.It will come to good shot selection and execution of offense.When in the lead realize you dont have to rush to shoot stall if need be like CHS did. Go to the foul line.SHS has a better shooting free throw team then in years past.GO SHS.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 9:29 AM
  • Sikeston 79 Charleston 73 final!

-- Posted by Wise one on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 10:02 AM
  • Charleston is playing much better as a group then they were a month ago. They will turn the ball over some but they wont be intimidated by Sikeston's defense or speed as other teams are. I expect another close, hard-fought game. Definitely tough to win 2 in a row at Sikeston though...

-- Posted by gerardo on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 3:50 PM
  • After two big tournament wins including the victory over Sikeston, the temptation is to become complacent and rest on your laurels. If the Jays can avoid that and come out focused with intense defense and good shot selection, Jays should win the ballgame. Granted it will be tough to beat Sikeston twice on their home floor, but this is the best Bluejay team I have seen since the state champion team of 2006-07. My prediction Jays 72 Sikeston 68

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 9:20 PM

Sikeston vs. Charleston rematch... SAY WHAT!?!? I'm in there like swimwear!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM

Will someone give me updates?

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 9:44 PM
  • Better get there around 4PM and get in line if you want to get a seat

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 9:50 PM
  • I am no coach by no means, but what worked for Sikeston last year against Charleston and Notre Dame won't work this year. We lost one of our best rebounders and defensive player to a major school infraction. Coach Holifield, please come out the press against these two teams? I just got through watching the first game against Charleston, the press didn't work: no steals. Likewise, same with Notra Dame. Go full man or zone matchup?

-- Posted by Wise one on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 10:59 PM
  • Go dogs, Go dogs, Go dogs!!!!!!!! Ra Ra Ra! We need all Sikeston fans to show some inspiration! This game is for for bragging rights, bootheel number one team! This is the deciding factor, we reign number one in the bootheel if we win! Go hard or go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by Wise one on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 11:20 PM
  • Harry Callahan, i will keep you updated on the game.. too bad you are in STL.. See you next weekend..

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Thu, Jan 5, 2012, at 11:42 PM
  • Go zone matchup!

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:10 AM
  • Go full man or zone matchup>

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:13 AM
  • I love all of the coaching tips from people who have never even been a PE coach! It's actually comical!

This is for the "coaches" on here....do you think that you just call timeout and say "let's go man....you got #30, etc?" Come on! It's something you have to practice over and over...the same way with a matchup zone!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 8:22 AM
  • The funniest thing is that when Notre Dame, or Borgia, or Scott Central loses games, nobody gets on message boards claiming they should scrap their zones and go to man to man. Sikeston loses two games in two years and people think they need to abandon everything they've built.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 8:30 AM
  • Amen, hoops!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 8:37 AM

What some airheads dont consider is the fact you wont have the same caliber of athletes year after year.What one team is capable of doing the other may not.Sikeston was deep last year they got the job done.Years before they had collapse. This year they are not as deep but yes just as talented as teams past.I know it will come down to determination.Wise One you are on point.You alone make alot of sense.Others act like we are living in a twilight zone or groundhog day.Same thing day after day after day.Mix it up this is 2012 for GODS SAKE.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:17 AM
  • If Sikeston does what they did against Charleston the first time, same result Sikeston loss only worst.

Charleston has improved since the last game. Sikeston presses??? Charleston by 15 points!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:34 AM

Pretty sure if there is one person who knows what they're talking about on here, it would be semohoops.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:34 AM
  • Why aren't you guys talking about Coach Martin from SCC? They run the same D as last year....with TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSONNNEL....and are getting beat. Shouldn't they go man or matchup zone? I mean....they have to change it up!! Right? Or....just maybe....the coaches know what they are doing???? Hmmmm...... Let's see 30-0 and state title, 3 straight state titles for SCC, AND even Charleston runs the same D they have FOR YEARS!! Yet...no one calls for Farmer to play zone???? WTH????

You are 100% correct, starter!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:46 AM
  • Ok, so does Borgia, Notre Dame and Scott Central have the same top level athletes year after year? Why are they still playing zone for the past 30 years? Maybe because it's called a system. It's what you practice and build your program on. Good coaches don't hit the panic button after one or two losses. You tweak and adapt, but you don't throw everything you've done out the window. Correct me if I'm wrong, but man to man defense is mostly for teams that can match up physically in size, speed, and strength. If you have even one weak defender, just one, it can break you down defensively. If you have two weak defenders, it further complicates things. Sikeston graduates four starters and three all-state players from last year. How does going to a man to man make sense after losing all that talent? Sikeston is quick at certain spots, but not at all five positions. Sikeston is the shortest team on the floor nearly every night out. And they certainly aren't the strongest. So explain to me how they can match up physically with other teams. Explain to me why, after a 10-2 start this year, they should scrap what they've built for years.

Sikeston may lose tonight. It's possible. But it won't be because they played a zone defense. It will be because Charleston has a better team. But what if Sikeston wins? Are fans of the Bluejays going to get on the message boards saying that they should scrap their man to man and go to a zone?

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:50 AM
  • Be there or be square! The battle of the number one spot in semo hoops! Go hard bulldogs!!!!!

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:01 AM

@Johnny I can't wait! Thanks for the updates. Please txt if possible, I'll be on here too to get other updates... Lets go Bluejays!

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:06 AM

I call it the Obama Syndrome, Semohoops. Some people want change just for the sake of change and you see where that got us in this country, with a Chicago crook bumbling the nation. Systems are put in place, practiced everyday, etc. They are not meant to just be scrapped on the fly because of a loss or two. SCC switched to man against ND if I remember correctly and it compounded their problems. However, if an AAU coach of an imaginary team that Terry Jamison and Greg Tucker played on says it is true, it must be true.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:08 AM
  • RocketBOY, who exactly is Coach Martin from SCC??!! Your on here talking about people not knowing what they are talking about in regards to basketball and you do the same thing. Nice. Please don't be a PA announcer anytime soon.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:22 AM
  • Someone told me Charleston will be playing a 2-3 zone this evening. Look out.

-- Posted by Daniel LaRusso on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:38 AM
  • My first post on Semoball. I am rolling with my old alma mater. Wish I was home to see this epic battle. I must say it is, if not the biggest rivalry games in the state. GoBigBlue!!!

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:00 AM
  • Himisgay....suck a **** out of my butt! It is Coach Wright....my bad. My apologies to Coach Wright.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:01 AM
  • I believe the teams Sikeston played at the St. Dominic tourney were comprised of a lot of size all around...for example: Lutheran St Charles- 6'4 and 6'5, Holt- 6'9, 6'8, 6'7, St Dom- 6'7, 6'5 and 6'4. If you were one of those teams and Sikeston was playing you a man to man, what would be your offensive goal? Sikeston zones it to try and take away some of their lack of height. If Sikeston has a bad shooting game, does Holifield scrap all their shooting drills and try all new ones? Teams do what they do and try to perfect it, and make adjustments to get better. Sikeston has a system that fits their personnel. Those kids have played in that system since 7/8 grade. Consistency usually rules. Good luck Bulldogs!

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:03 AM
  • That's all right Rocket. I say Martin sometimes too! Maybe it's because of the player Kenyon Martin. I think that's why I get it mixed up.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:05 AM
  • Reddirt....that's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that! LOL! I think of Kenyon Martin everytime I hear the name Kenyon.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • You can be funny all that you want RocketBOY, but I would bet all the gold in China that you wouldn't say that to me if I were standing right in front of you. You might just get choke-slammed if you did.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:10 AM
  • Yes, but he would counter your choke slam with the People's Elbow.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:12 AM
  • People's Elbow followed by the DDT!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:18 AM

I'd throw in an RKO just to be safe

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • semopoops, I would probably do the Rikishi "butt in the face" to you as a finishing move. And don't fool yourself, RocketBOY would be no match for my size/speed/muscle.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:19 AM
  • Rocket would headbutt you once and it would be over.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • No doubt the headbutt would do him in.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:42 AM
  • Why do you say that semopoops? trainhard, I don't know why your chiming in on this thread buddy boy. I could probably scare you off with the corporate eyebrow.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:08 PM

Will there be a JV game tonight before "THE SHOW"!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:09 PM
  • You would understand if you took a headbutt from him.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:37 PM

Yea, there's a JV game.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:38 PM
  • Yes buck there will be a jv game.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:38 PM

Okay thanks guys, I'll get there even earlier then!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:39 PM
  • JV starts at 6:00. Get there early and you'll see one of the best atmospheres for a JV game that you'll see. Sometimes it's just as intense as the varsity, lol

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:44 PM
  • That would be the WORST headbutt ever given.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:45 PM
  • Scratch that. DEADLIEST headbutt ever.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 12:46 PM
  • Unless Rocketboy has a head the size of Jupiter, I don't think I will have a problem if he does try to headbutt me. I am fairly skilled in submissions and I would probably do a rear-choke to get him counting his ZZZZZZZ's. Then I'd move on to his creepy brother, rocketsiblow and deliver the gnarliest piledriver ever known to man, courtesy of Mr. Harley Race.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:02 PM

"Head the size of Jupiter" sounds about accurate.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:08 PM
  • Himisgay is like the little kid in the neighborhood that no one likes because he runs his yapper all the time to the "big kids." Then, when he gets his butt kicked, he goes home crying to his momma. Yep....describes Himisgay perfectly!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:09 PM
  • Jupiter could be a little on the small side

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:10 PM

BLAH BLAH sideline.First off Busch is the one who ran through a surplus an got us in this mess so enough with the OBAMA crap.U cant do much when u have prejudice rich folks fighting everything a person is trying to do.Funny OBAMA sought out and killed the very one Busch couldnt find.CHECK.The troops are home.CHECK. Kiss MINE.SHS will do what they need to do and win.Tuck in your Butt and get it right.If u are gonna call me out check your resources please.The father of ND kid headed up the group so check your facts.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:11 PM
  • Can you feel the love????

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:14 PM
  • You don't seem to understand hemingway. His head IS Jupiter.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:15 PM

Busch.... LOL!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Blame "Busch" and claim that Obama had any involvement in the finding and strategy to killing Bin Laden with nothing else to hang your hat on. Sounds like the Democrat rhetoric. And also, no response to my actual point?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:22 PM
  • Rocketboy, pretty sure I didn't take any "tail kickings" when I was a little kid and definitely didn't run my yapper like you do. In fact, that's pretty much all you and your little dirty duck friends do actually. WON'T take my bball challenge, WON'T get into the ring with me, etc. And semopoops, I think it's time to change your depends, isn't it?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:25 PM
  • ^^^^more yapper running.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:28 PM

I think the game will in large part come down to who takes care of the ball the best, cuts down on the turnovers, and plays the smartest with the ball. You just can not turn the ball over on either of these two teams without suffering major consequences. Sometimes it's not who plays the best between the out of bounds lines, but who plays best between the ears.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 1:58 PM
  • This is my first post. I have one question...why can't you give Coach Holifield the respect he deserves?? There have been many great coaches in this area and I feel that he deserves to be among this list. He has proven to put quality, hard working, respectful teams on the floor year in and year out regardless of where he is coaching.

-- Posted by MZ100 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 2:56 PM
  • This topix is about how Sikeston should play Charleston in a rematch game! Not about scrapping there 2-2-1 zone press or the 2-3 zone defense.

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:02 PM
  • It don't take much to be a coach with good talent, but let us see you lead the bad news bears to a state championship! Lmao!!! @ semohoops!

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:10 PM

First, this board already has enough crap on it... Don't think Obama did any seeking or major planning on getting Bin Laden! All he did was take the advice of military leaders that Bush already had in place! Then when our military men and woman did their jobs and surveyed all the intelligence Obama said "Go" that is all Obama did on that subject! He hasn't accomplished anything else... Maybe only his promise of Hope and Change cause everyday since he was elected 73% of tax paying Americans Hope in 2012 there is a Change in president!

Now back to basketball!

Intensity is the #1 thing that Sikeston has to have... The rest will follow the intensity cause.Sikeston players seem to feed off the intensity of Markeith and Kilron! Terry will prove tonight he is a legitimate player if not premier. Also feel a Vashawn Ridding coming out party. Charleston is about to get everything Sikeston has thrown at them maybe even the kitchen sink!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:17 PM
  • MZ100...I agree 1000%. Coach Holifield deserves, and has earned, respect! His record at Sikeston....especially the last 6-7 years is outstanding!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:20 PM
  • Himisgay, you gonna be there tonight in your Kris Kross jersey?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:32 PM
  • I wouldn't say that the Sikeston Bulldogs have outstanding talent last year or this year. Good, solid, hard-working kids that understoon the system....but not overly talented.

-- Posted by MZ100 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:39 PM

I say Sikeston wins by 5 or 6.. Charleston shot lights out last game and Sikeston took WAY to many three's and only going 4/27 from behind the arc, I think that's the number anyway. Cut some of those back, take high % shots, Sikeston wins last game. Sikeston gets revenge tonight and claims the #1 in Semo again... well that is until they play my Caruthersville Tigers lol..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 3:56 PM
  • Sikeston wins a tournament in St.Louis and they are all good again? Someone said they had a 6' 8" guys, big deal. Jackson has a big man , does that make them good?

Sikeston's wins tonight then they will be for real. They have a tough 4 games in 5 days.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:02 PM
  • It don't take much to be a coach with good talent, but let us see you lead the bad news bears to a state championship! Lmao!!! @ semohoops!

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:06 PM
  • tlks2much....the next 4 games for Sikeston will tell us where they are....that's for sure!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:06 PM
  • I wonder what time the line will start forming tonight at the field house?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:50 PM

Already formed, standing in it now!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:56 PM

Already 75% full!

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 5:52 PM
  • wish this game was cover it live on semoball

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 6:08 PM

The line is in the street. Not sure if I'll get in.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 6:15 PM
  • The game is on cable access channel 985 if you are in the Sikeston/Charleston area

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 6:36 PM
  • The game is on cable access channel 985 if you are in the Sikeston/Charleston area

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 6:38 PM
  • How about some updates tonight for those of us who don't have three dollars?

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 6:59 PM
  • ive got semo cable so cant watch it plus its a full house.... lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 7:08 PM
  • has the game started?

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 7:38 PM
  • First off, I want to say that Charleston out played Sikeston tonight, and we had way to many mistakes, but I've never seen a display of sportsmanship as bad as a certain Charleston player displayed, and that player NOT receive a technical or ejected from the game!!!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:40 PM

Let the whining begin. I love how sikeston fans were still thinking about football season it took the mind off of them getting their butts handed to them tonight

-- Posted by mz259 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:47 PM

They got their butts handed to them? What a knowledgeable, thought out post. It was close until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter when the 'Jays hit their free throws.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:53 PM
  • Give me a break! I said they outplayed us, but there was no need for the actions of a certain player! Ctown beat us! I give credit and respect where it is due, but I also am going to call it when I see total disrespect!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:53 PM

If not for the crappy officiating it would have been larger than a nine point difference. A charleston player got hammered at the buzzer in the third and Greg tucker was getting beat like a step child all night.

-- Posted by mz259 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:57 PM

WHAT?!?!?! mz, you may need to go see an eye doctor. Yet another post with absolutely no base or knowledge of what went on tonight.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:58 PM
  • That's all right, they had one ref in there back pocket!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:59 PM
  • I know I wasnt thinking about football cause pretty sure I was watching a very intense bball game. We made lots of mistakes tonight. I think the refs got into Terry's head cause it seemed like everytime he got the ball they called walking on him. That's really all I got to say

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 9:59 PM

Do they replay the games on cable?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:10 PM

They usually replay them through the weekend, Larry...or, at least, they used to

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:15 PM

Thanks Bird.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:17 PM
  • Oh and I want to thank Buck Major for saying the line was already forming because I left for the game after that, if it wasn't for your comment I might not of been in there. Thanks

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:47 PM

I did the exact same thing, TFA. Luckily, I only live 2 minutes from the fieldhouse.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 10:52 PM
  • like I said from the beginning of the topic, do the same thing and get the same result.

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:01 PM

You should change your name, wise one. It just doesn't fit your comments.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:03 PM
  • Charleston is the better team, hands down. In my opinion, it shouldn't have been as close as it turned out. They have too many weapons and too much speed. Besides Sikeston's 6th man, (and they contained him for the most part) they had no answer to Charleston's defense. Against bigger, slower teams they get the open shot but Charleston gives them a dose of their own medicine x2.

-- Posted by gerardo on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:06 PM
  • People keep talking about Tucker getting in the sikeston players faces after his dunk well if they dont want someone in their face come back at them on the court. Dont be on here whining because guess what sikestons players arent that is simply a part of sports deal with it. College players and other high school player in the state of MISSOURI have done way worse get over it charleston showed up and won now sikeston needs to lick their wounds because they still have some test comming up this week.

-- Posted by cape222 on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:18 PM
  • It don't take much to be a coach with good talent, but let us see you lead the bad news bears to a state championship! Lmao!!!

-- Posted by Wise one on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 4:06 PM

So I guess Cookson wasn't a very good coach either since he had ALL that talent?

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:24 PM

No problem TFA and yah-yah, glad I could be of some help. Man it filled up fast. Yah-yah and Rocket I seen yalls little posse up their haha. Also congrats to Charleston, it was a very hard fought game, one of my favorites, so good job on the win guys!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 6, 2012, at 11:26 PM
  • I say to Sikeston fans, remember this night and how your react on this forum. Then act the same on the nights you win. You will find the rest of us won't root for your opponent to win every single time you play. Go Jays.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 12:33 AM

It's a shame Sikeston and Charleston aren't in the same district. That would make for one heckuva district title game.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:26 AM
  • if they were in the same district, that would mean ND would be in there to...so Sikeston would have to beat ND just to make it to charleston. ND vs. Charleston would be a heckuva title game.

-- Posted by PO526 on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:15 AM

The Bluejay Dynasty continues! Sikeston: Why are you guys acting like basketball is your thing? I know you guys enjoy the sport and encourage the kids to compete, however Charleston is the Missouri Mecca of Basketball. They are seriously considering calling the 3A State Championship Tournament The Charleston Invitational. You guys won a state title last year in Hall of Fame fashion, commendable indeed! But please, never forget, that Charleston is the Home of Hoops around here.

-- Posted by Big Bro on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:22 AM

BigBro-When was Charleston's last state championship?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:31 AM

Pete, Sikeston fans haven't reacted in a wrong manner regarding last night's matchup. Funny stuff.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:55 AM

Their last 2 state titles were 06-07 and 96-97.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 8:01 AM
  • @ yah yah, what are you talking about? You should call yourself yakity yak.

-- Posted by Wise one on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 9:08 AM

Hahahaha. That's cute, wise one. Make a knowledgeable post about the game instead of going on ridiculous tirades in which you believe you know it all. My posts aren't deleted, yours are.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 9:14 AM
  • I thought that title went to SCC??

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 9:15 AM

Agreed, TFA.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 9:20 AM
  • I loved the game last night! It was what it should have been between rivals as those. I don't think either team was on point as far as the offense goes but yes I think Charleston is a better team all-around because they can kill a team on both side of the ball. The refs were bad for both teams! As for the lack of sportmanship, it was not bad. The game was intense as it should have been. I seen what Tuck and Jones did, just plain smack talking basketball. Who don't do it, really? I pointed out last night that Jones was saying something to the Watkins kid so it went both ways. What I don't understand is why Jones is not starting for Sikeston he is truly a threat and can't really be moved from underneath the basket. There should not be any excuses for either team because clearly in my opinion the best team won. Good game to both teams!

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 9:27 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:12 AM
  • can charleston win the state title this year? last year they were unable to get key stops against hogan prep in the state semi final. dribble penetration hurt them in that game. look for a great quarter final game between the district one winner and bayless. bayless has a kid that leads the entire stl metro area in rebounding, and hes a sophomore. kid is a monster.

sikeston will likely be district champs again. if they can beat desoto they may return to the final four.

it would be nice to see them both reach the final four again.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:47 AM
  • people need to realize that charleston is the best team in semo right now,until a local team beats them they got the spot ....... even over my scc i know charleston is better,so ive excepted it...alot of these posters need to except it and move on as well,besides making excuses why they lost,

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 11:19 AM

Everyone on here has voted Charleston number 1, kmasters. I'm glad you've 'excepted' it.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 11:38 AM

Great game Charleston Bluejays!!!!!!!!!!! And to Greg Tucker, you keep playing D1 basketball, you got it!!! Ive played with a D1 guards and a post player back in my day and let me tell you that they didnt always have awesome games, sometimes they didnt even reach their ppg, but they could take over when it counted and seal the deal. Like you did last night hitting all those free throws, being aggressive and determined,that makes you a D1 player just like my friends.YES,KEEP ALL YOUR TEAMATES INVOLVED BECAUSE THATS WHAT D1 PLAYERS DO!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:01 PM

Charleston played Bayless in the sectional round, last year. The kid you refer to was a beast as a frosh; Jays had a difficult time containing him around the glass. They have another kid, the coach's son, who had a nice game, as well; and, he was an underclassman.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:46 PM
  • So, you took my advice. Nice.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:48 PM
  • Birdfan, didn't Charleston play Ava in the sectionals, then Bayless in the quarterfinals?

-- Posted by gianthook on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 4:41 PM

Cheesehead

Someone already answered your question. But, I am curious as to why you asked me that question? Yes, Charleston has a respectable Basketball Dynasty!

-- Posted by Big Bro on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 5:32 PM

Cheesehead

Someone already answered your question. But, I am curious as to why you asked me that question? Yes, Charleston has a respectable Basketball Dynasty!

-- Posted by Big Bro on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 5:41 PM

I don't have to give any reason why I ask or say anything. I was just wondering when they won state last! What's the harm in that? You people really need to get over your conspiracy theories, not every person on here is out to disrespect your team. It was an honest question

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 5:47 PM

Yes, I believe you're right, gianthook....crazy scheduling...had to travel to West Plains for sectional, then back to PB for quarterfinals

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:22 PM
  • scott what is wrong with bayless? how is triplett and the stud sophomore playing?

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:25 PM
  • has charleston really been to the final four 29 times? or is it 29 district titles? either way thats amazing.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:31 PM

LOL you guys are funny! I wasn't saying anything negative to or about Charleston and now all this childish bs. Grow the hell up!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:40 PM

I mean I have said Charleston is the best team in Semo, and should be the favorite to win state. I ask one questions about when was the last time they won state and the retards come out

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:45 PM

^^^HAHAHAHAHA^^^

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:47 PM

Chill, Cheese....Jay fans tend to get defensive when their team/players start receiving unwarranted attacks

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:48 PM

well I wasn't attacking anyone lol..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:49 PM

I know; just trying to help you understand where this is coming from

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:50 PM

Cville doesn't have any state titles, as you already know. BTW, past state titles has NOTHING to do with the current season! See you on the 20th..Look for me, I'll be on visiting side, top of bleachers, mid court. Look forward to seeing you!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:54 PM
  • It is time for the record to get straight. Charleston beat Sikeston twice in the last 30days,right? So what is all the talk about? Get over it haters. CHS has 10 state titles to Sikeston's 1. That's a big difference.(Yes CHS has a Hall of Fame season too.) Sikeston has a great program and a good school. CHS has the same. The only school with more state titles is SCC. So,until SHS gets more than one,be cool!!!And by the way,when CHS beat SHS last month,some Sikeston players didn't shake the Charleston players hand. Talk about bad sportsmanship!!! But good luck to all the teams in the playoffs.

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:48 PM
  • Charleston has 28 district titles and 19 final fours in the school's history.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 8:24 PM
  • Sikeston is Class 4

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 12:16 AM

To be honest, sikeston fans haven't shown that they are mad on this forum for the most part. They've been respectful and given charleston the credit they deserve. So I don't know where all the making excuses and mad talk is coming from!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 12:47 AM

For one thing slick, I wasn't even talkin to you. I have no doubt in my mind that you guys will prolly beat us Tuesday. I do not agree that their will be a " lot of hard fouls by the home team". Didn't know we were notorious for fouling. You talk cash, I don't. I let my cash talk for me. Money talk, slick walk. Also, I don't even like apples dude. Shout out to Barack Obama and dem!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 1:38 AM
  • @Slick50 Keep in mind that NMCC has already beaten Notre Dame @ Notre Dame. In the SEMO Conference any team can beat any other team on any given night. The Jays just need to take them one at a time and not look past anyone regardless of their record. The Jays have a tough stretch of games these next two weeks. NMCC, SCC, the Superman Classic, and Caruthersville. No gimmes on this schedule.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:34 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: