High School Basketball Forum: AAU

Posted by metro dude on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:05 AM:

With a lot of talent down there in the Southeast Missouri area, how come they do not have any AAU programs in your area? Most of the kids I have seen from that area travel to St. Louis. Just curious.

Replies (54)

Metro dude, as in the infamous mosports poster by chance?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:11 AM
  • Yes, a while back. Was sitting around thinking about this the other day and if their was a decent program down that way it sure would save their parent's a little cash in travel and give the other AAU teams a run for their money!

-- Posted by metro dude on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:14 AM
  • Most of the kids from around here only play that MAYB which isn't much more than playing the same teams in area tourneys. Most of these have the kids running the show and raising money to play in these tourneys.

I know with the talent we have in Charleston, Sikeston and Scott County Central a good team could be put together and compete with the St Louis and Memphis areas. Only problem is there really aren't any coaches talented enough around here to run the program.

We get the talent level around here competing on a different level we will bring home many more titles to SEMO area...

-- Posted by pastchampsrule on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:19 AM

Dude, so many memories!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:31 AM

Welcome to semoball, metro!

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:34 AM
  • Thanks yah-yah! Good to see you and Larry again. Don't post much anymore, but still try to keep up with everything. Probably won't post much, but this was just something I have been thinking about.

-- Posted by metro dude on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:42 AM
  • Potential AAU Players:

Terry Jamison======Sikeston

Vashon Ruffin======Sikeston

Greg Tucker========Charleston

TJ Tisdale=========Cape

Ryan Praham========Charleston

John Meyer=========Jackson

Steward Johnson====SCC

Dominique Porter===SCC

I think all of these kids would be eligible to play AAU in SEMO Area.

Can you all think of other top players coming back next season?

-- Posted by pastchampsrule on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 10:55 AM
  • I can speak a little to this.... It is my belief that to maintain and improve a program, you should have the kids that are going to be on the upcoming team playing together as much as possible. At a minimum, it builds chemistry.

As always, "the cream will rise to the top" and the good players will still get their recognition (see Otto Porter). While I don't disagree with having an "all star" team from this area, I don't think that is the best way to improve the individual teams. Typically, the AAU games are "showcases."

I think Sikeston began some sort of program such as that last year. Seems to have paid pretty good dividends. Of course, it helps to have been blessed with great players and great coaching. I don't think the AAU coach is much, but the team is able to overcome him!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:05 AM
  • pastchamps....I think that is a great list and there are probably others. However, how would getting those kids playing together help Charleston or Jackson (with only 1 player)?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:08 AM
  • Vashon is playing with MO-Impact 16u with former Chaleston standout Corey Frazier.

-- Posted by stlpride on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • There is already an actual AAU program down there?

-- Posted by metro dude on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:09 AM

Sikeston has an AAU team that plays in multiple tournaments around this area and in a couple other states. It is pretty much all Sikeston and a couple of players from other schools. They've won a couple of tournaments so far with the excellent coaching they have, but they aren't focused on taking in the huge tournaments to play against the showcase teams. It is more about building chemistry for the upcoming season and keeping everyone in shape. I believe all of Sikeston's returning impact players are on the team other than Vashawn who is playing in St. Louis and Keldon Warfield who is working on track although both have came with them to a couple of tournaments. Also, they feature the guys will be getting a lot more varsity time for next season like Markeith Bratcher, JT Jones, and Reese Porter.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:16 AM
  • From what I understand, starter, you are spot on....except for the AAU coach. They win in spite of him!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:18 AM
  • I am all for building team chemistry, but I am speaking of an actual AAU program. An AAU program is not built for team chemistry but for player development. The team aspect is big in any situation, but the AAU program is developed for key players to become leaders of their team and play against top competition. All other programs just seem to be practice extensions that are more like the "open gym" concept.

I didn't expect this much feedback, but I appreciate all of the information. I know the Semo region had a great year and was just wondering about some of the standouts and how they will be occupying their time in the off season.

-- Posted by metro dude on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:26 AM
  • It isn't really an AAU program, is it? If it is all players from one school with a couple of others from around area... Answer your own question Rocket and Starter? How does that help the players that are on that team just to fill the roster?

These kids are not getting noticed in local tourney! Yes Otto did but he was a GREAT PLAYER!

More kids could get D1 scholaships if they get out and Market theirselves with a program not a chemistry building, local tournament team. I don't know about you but I am wondering if this is in the kids best interest. They might not be able to afford college without a full ride and this program isn't getting them the notification they need. I think Vashon is doing the right thing by playing in STL. We know how to do it up here in the LOU!!! I went to Charleston and we had great players who never got looked at because there wasn't anything like this around. If it had been around who know what I might be doing instead of working for St Louis Public Safety!

This is just my opinion not trying to stir the pot

-- Posted by pastchampsrule on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:32 AM
  • pastchamps...It seems that you have all the answers. Let me get this straight....playing as a team with your own teammates with a few other kids from the area against local and out of state competition, playing from basically the end of the basketball season until summer begins (with no cost to the kids by the way....I understand that most top level AAU teams charge the kids to play) and winning tournaments (which further builds the winning tradition)....hmm. Not thinking of the kids at all... Oh yeah, I forgot...a couple of the kids have been asked to play on "select" teams by getting seen at these tournaments.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 11:53 AM
  • pastchamps, I'd say chances are that you would still be working for St. Louis Public Safety if I were a betting man (which I am). I know I like to give Rocketboy grief on here at times, but you've got to commend somebody that cares enough about the kids to devote his/her time to helping them get better. Not many people are willing to do that, especially when there is no stipend involved. So bravo to Rocket for that.

You mention something of "more kids being able to get D1 scholarships if they were out marketing themselves with AAU ball". What? The last time I checked, you DID NOT have to play D1 ball to be able to get your schooling paid (using myself as an example). Fact is, there just aren't that many D1 caliber basketball players that come out of SEMO every year. A basketball/football/basketball, etc. player can get a full ride via D1, NAIA, JUCO, etc. and that is all that matters. Because in the end, it is about getting ALL you can out of college (if you decide to go that route) and getting out of there with the LEAST amount of expense. Bottom line.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 12:18 PM
  • I kinda agree with both sides, if you are wanting to help build a team for your high school then continue to play together locally. But if kids want to be seen, you have to get out of southeast missouri. Didnt I read in the paper or semoball that Janeil Hatchett from Sikeston got seen by UMSL by playing in St. Louis after they played some real compatetion. I feel you have to get out of Southeast Missouri to play, unless your 6'9".

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:07 PM
  • I'm not sure to which story you are referring, but they probably saw Janeil when Sikeston played in the St. Dominic Christmas Tournament. I don't think Janeil played for any "St. Louis" teams.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:13 PM
  • I'm not saying he played for a St.Louis Team but exactly my point, they would havent seen him if he hadnt played in St. Louis.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:20 PM
  • The Ruffin kid is the most talented kid on that team and he is doing exactly what he needs to do to be seen.

I'm sorry but there are way to many high school coaches out there that worry about next year instead of helping your kids get to the next level.I dont feel Holifield is that way but there are some out there.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:27 PM
  • What's ironic is people around here were making fun of Sikeston for playing in that St. Dominic Tournament, yet that is the place UMSL took notice of Janeil.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:52 PM
  • That's probaly the only reason they were there is because that haven't seen Sikeston and wanted to check them out. You would have to think they see and here about all the rest of the players of the teams that were in it.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • My point exactly.....they saw Janeil while playing on a high school team. He didn't have to play AAU.....at a bunch of excpense to him and his family.

If you want to talk about not having the kids' best interest in mind....look up the definition of AAU. The people that run those are in it for the money.....PERIOD.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 2:22 PM
  • Players going the AAU route to "be seen" is entirely over-blown! With video, recruiters, assistant coaches, alumni, etc. available, if a player has the talent, he will be found!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 2:28 PM
  • AAU is also a big recruiting tool, for even high school programs. Many AAU teams are fine, but there are a few, these select traveling teams, where it's just a feeding frenzy of who can persuade a kid to attend their high school or transfer to their school, even at young ages.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 2:46 PM
  • Amen, semo7178 and semohoops!! AMEN!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 2:50 PM
  • It's not all about being seen it's also about going against the best of the best every week troughout the summer to help see what you need to improve on.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • I agree with BIGELW, if you are beating Puxico by 50 points in a summer tournament who is that helping???

I hate to use the example BUT look at Otto last weekend, he was slower and every kid was as big as him. Guards went around him and fowards went over him. Nothing to knock him but just making a point.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 3:40 PM
  • actuaully there is an aau program around here coached by tommy delph and patrick farmer they travel all over the nation to tournaments just last year the eighth grade team finished first in the state of missouri and qualified for AAU national championship they didnt play thier best there but that was simply because they did not have a full squad but overall thier team beat the number 3 team in the nation twice on their home court

-- Posted by cape222 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 3:50 PM
  • the team repeatedly beat the top teams in st.louis gateway,hoopsquad,and others team st.louis, and the jets they just dont get much attention

-- Posted by cape222 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 3:52 PM
  • type in semo elite online you'll pull up articles on them

-- Posted by cape222 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 3:52 PM
  • Sikeston beat the Jets in Farmington 2 weeks ago and a team out of Memphis last weekend. I'm not sure, but I don't think Puxico fielded a team.

There are arguments for both ways. Otto signed with Georgetown, didn't play AAU, and won 3 state titles. Tyler signed with UNC, played AAU, and won 2 state titles. Michael Porter signed with MO State, played AAU, and didn't win any state titles.

tlks2much...Otto signed with G E O R G E T O W N!!

It doesn't get much bigger than that! They obviously thought enough of him to sign him to a full ride. He was ranked #31 in the country by ESPN!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 4:03 PM
  • AAU is a particular Program Amateur Athletic Union. Now I know we often refer to travel teams as AAU.

AAU holds their own Tournaments and charge a membership fee along with having to win a qualifier tournament.

A lot of teams just get a few kids together raise a little money and travel to tournament, could be a MAYBE tournament or other.

The big time Teams also do some small tournaments but mostly attend NCAA sanctioned tournaments. Those cost anywhere from $500 to a $1000. Your coach has to be qualified through the NCAA (A test and a fee) and you have to fill out tons of paperwork on each player.

As for a good coach, good luck! Even the big time teams have "dads" coaching just like anything else. They just qualify themselves. Some teams pay a coach but usually are coached by a person who has a vested interest and a lot of time to dedicate to it. Quite a few girls teams pay a coach.

I have tried for years to get a couple of teams going but no one seems to want to dedicate themselves to the time it takes and it takes a heck of a lot of money to do so. Some teams in STL actually ask parents to pay $100 - $500 to pay for tournaments.

It is not an easy task but SEMO has the talent.

Wolfpack in cape is probably the most organized I have see but he does more with girls than the guys.

-- Posted by The6thMan on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 5:14 PM
  • The6thMan

I mentioned the money thing, but you described it much better than me. Honestly, I believe that is why there is no AAU team in this area. How many families have an extra $100-$500 to play in a tournament 2-4 times a month, plus the travel expenses to get to the practices? My guess is not many....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 9:11 AM
  • This is little money compared to paying for college! If I could have spent $100-$500 2-4 times a month over summer to earn a college scholarship which in turn is A WHOLE LOT MORE then I think it would be worth it and not just a team building activity. If you want to build chemistry take them camping or have a swim party! This is about their future as much as it is about their high school team!

-- Posted by pastchampsrule on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 10:20 AM
  • Im not sure why I just now thought of this example but look at BJ young. He was completely unknown until playing a high level of AAU ball last summer. I've read some interviews and stories on him since the first time I saw him play and he talks about how he had one big game early last summer that sparked his confidence to take the ball himself. Once he started getting a few recruiters giving him compliments he worked harder because he figured out he had the skill to play college ball. Them he signed with arkansas, no irs not a basketball powerhouse but its a big D1 school in a major conference. Just think if he didn't play Aau, he might not have even started getting looks and working harder until the second half of this season and maybe would just be playing somewhere small next year.

Otto is just a really rare case, he has everything he needs. He has the height and length to play any position, a coach at SCC that knew how to get the most out of his team, very unselfish which leads to good chemistry, the work ethic to make the most of himself, and most importantly his dad had the skill to play at a high level but other thing held him back, he knew what it would take for otto to become a great player and knew how to push him to get better and teach him everything he needed to know about the game.

most players do not have that kind of atmosphere around them that helps them succeed so they need that summer coach that pushes his players. Yes Aau costs a lot of money but many coaches will letvcertain players get by without paying just because they want that player on their team that bad because of how much they care about winning. That's not how it should be but it happens.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • Wow! Now I know the secret! Just start an AAU team and you automatically get a college scholarship! Thanks, pastchampsrule....I'm going to pass the word!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 11:32 AM
  • Again,

You only talk about team chemistry... as what they have now!

AAU developes STRONG D1 talent. Not local tournaments with your same team each and every game. I am not saying that this little league you all are playing in isn't good for a team concept but not many college scouts at a pickup game tournament.

They have the talent around there to be better if they play up against some top talent we may see more area D1 recruits.

AAU tournaments scouts are there EVERY GAME... one good game and a player starts to get noticed. A couple of good games and he starts to get letters. A good tournament and he has a chance to get a call/visit and then a chance for a scholarship. I am not callin what you are doing bad but it isn't in the best interest of kids from S E Missouri. The income range and chance most of these kids go to school without basketball are not the greatest in the world. If they have a talent that can provide them with a better life then "REAL AAU IS THE ROUTE" Little money for a HUGE FUTURE!

-- Posted by pastchampsrule on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 11:49 AM
  • I don't disagree with what you are saying rule... I actually agree most of your points. I also think you and I both have the kids' best interests at heart. I'm just not sure that the financial and other resources (i.e. coach, facilities, etc) are there to field a competitive AAU team from this area.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 1:46 PM
  • building team chemistry is very important. that happens on the court. aau basketball is not for everybody and the bottom line is if you are good enough you will get noticed. refer to otto porter as an example. pastchampsrule sounds like a big city bureaucrat thinking us country bumpkins dont know whats up.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:15 PM
  • I would think that it would be far-fetched for the kids to just want to play because they love it. Then that would totally ruin the theory of "marketing their skills." The Sikeston kids just love to play. If they weren't playing AAU, they would be playing in a gym or somewhere. BJ Young is a perfect model of what AAU has become. Look at me, selfish, undisciplined and controversial. Skilled, Yes, what I want my son/daughter to model, no.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM
  • amen barkleyfan. well said.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:22 PM
  • Amen, barkley! My sentiments exactly.... I know the Sikeston kids were at the Y the Monday after they won a state title. The staff at the Y told me that.

They just love to play....AND....they happen to be VERY GOOD.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:41 PM
  • Precisely rocket, they just play. No marketing ploy or individual drama. They did what no one else thought they could. Too little, no size, weak schedule, no shooters...blah blah. Team first and heart. Didnt take AAU marketing to bring the trophy home to Sikeston.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • No it didn't, barkleyfan. However, we didn't have anyone sign with Duke, UNC or any D1 school so I guess they had a disappointing season.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • You dont have to play AAU to get signed D1, now let's think about this.. How many D1 players are there in the SEMO area exactly? Not every kid is going to play D1 regardless of playing for the STL Eagles or not.. Yes you get all the exposure, but I imagine that's the whole goal of it, why would they show fundamental skills when that's not what people want to see? They go out there and try to be flashy which helps about as much as wearing 4 pairs of socks each game to look cool. I think it builds big egos and makes high school athletes act like their above everyone else..

Also I read someone said some coaches are timid about getting their players names out there.. First off the high school coaches job is to build a TEAM to win games, to creat TEAM chemistry and to compete for a state championship, not to focus on making his players look good so college coaches will see them.. Coach hollifield didn't ask to be in the St. Dominic tournament so his players could get collegiate looks, he was focused on making his team better.. Not every person is meant for college either, and of the people who are, a few of them will be prepared to play any sport in college..

But if an athelte wants to be seen and wants to get his name out there then he has the right to, and sometimes it pays off.. But who knows what a 15 year old kid wants for the next 8 years of his life, traveling all summer to play basketball is a little much when you have no idea he will still want to play by the end of the summer, it's turning from students wanting to be athletes first before being a student, you shouldn't have to focus all your time on a sport to go to college.. It's all about having fun and getting better, and if your able to move on congrats..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Apr 22, 2011, at 4:10 PM
  • Dear Past Champs, do you really believe John Meyer from Jackson should be on the list? Not to disrespect him but, he's 6'9 and is seldom a factor on the court Sometimes he didn't even start for the Indians. Much smaller players have their way with him and he doesn't ever take over. Yes, he does block a few shots, but seldom scores in double figures. Then again, maybe playing over the summer with AAU would improve his game. Hope so.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Sun, Apr 24, 2011, at 11:12 AM

After reading all of this I would have to say I see both sides and have wondered why this are hasn't had a AAU Program. The talent is around and you can tell by the teams from this area that made it to the Final 4.

And papi... I know you didn't ask me but you can't teach a kid to be 6'9" but you can teach a 6'9" kid to be a force. he just need the right coach and then the push to be better. That could make him a solid player.

I think that a good AAU program would help several around the area get a better chance for a scholarship. Yes it developes one player and not a team but I would think that if a coach around here isn't excited about the skills a player gets from playing for a program something like the Eagles or others around you are wrong. It does develope some negatives but the positives of developing a team leader, a player who will not waiver against better competition like at Final 4 and a player who make the number 2 player on your team better beacuse he wants to compete with #1.

I see both sides and would love to see an AAU team along with a recruiting assistance prgram around here for some of the great talent around.

And I think this area could use it in all sports... Basketball, Football and Baseball. There are several kids around here who deserve the chance deserve the chance to compete at the next level. These teams and recruiting programs can only help make this happen and assist seveal family get their kid a college education.

-- Posted by Haterade on Sun, Apr 24, 2011, at 1:22 PM
  • Rocket, I need to clarify myself. It doesn't coast $100 to $500 per tournament per kid. It is a one time membership fee and all that money is put in a pot to cover tournaments. There are additional fundraisers. If a kid cannot afford that then have a raffle and have him sell 500 tickets for a $1 a piece. You don't have to have a lot of money to play. As far as travel. Ride together, room together split the cost. You don't have to stay at the "Hyatt", use a Super 8! Where there is a will there is a way. SEMO needs a club, one was tried in Poplar Bluff a few years ago but it didn't work because some of the coaches were not dedicated. It takes more than one guy and a few coaches to make a successful club.

As to those who debate the AAU play and college scholarships. My experience is this. Exposure and marketing. If your are good enough and don't do AAU, someone has got to pick you up and slap your name around because only local universities will know you exist. It takes a lot more than your local paper and if your team isn't that great you don't even get that sometimes because there are less and less newspaper sportswriters around. They can't cover everyone.

There are local recruiting sites who love to pickup "unknowns" and do a little PR about them on their sites. It brings more exposure to their site. If your name goes around the circle long enough the big sites like Rivels will pick you up.

Video tape your games, put them on Youtube, create a blog. One local kid got quite a bit of exposure with that.

There are recruiting sites but let me tell you this. Don't pay too much. They are in it to make money.

Not too many kids that attend small schools get chances like Porter, that is a rarity. College coaches don't think you have enough competition. That is why AAU is good. I do have to mention the fact that 6'5-6'10 don't come along too often around here. Big Men are hard to get. Guards are what they call "a dime a dozen" so you have to be exceptional.

Someone mentioned scholarships? Just a little incite. Not too many colleges are giving out full rides anymore. Mostly partial and they are hoping your qualify for a Pell or your school has the A+ program.

It takes a lot more than just talent.

I sure hope someone would help sponsor a club in SEMO. We have the talent here!!

-- Posted by The6thMan on Sun, Apr 24, 2011, at 6:17 PM
  • It would be a lot of attention, but your right there aren't very many dominant big men down here, but honestly how many DI players do we boast down here? A big AAU team would offer more recognition but I dont see any other players going to a Georgetown or Duke..

We have the talent down here.. But it's more of team talent, we won state championships this year through team work.. Sikeston was the perfect definition of a team and SCC had Otto but he was also surrounded by players who played their roles, which made them a great team..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Apr 24, 2011, at 8:13 PM
  • sometimes we lose site of what is best for Boys and Girls. It isn't if they go D-1, D-II, NAIA or etc. It is the fact that these kids are talented enough to play beyond High School and Basketball is just a tool to get then through college.

-- Posted by The6thMan on Mon, Apr 25, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • A friend of mine has twin boys that go to SCC. They want to play AAU ball but cant find a team. They plan on playing in some summer camp stuff but they want a team to make them better. If anyone gets a team together you need to pick them up.

-- Posted by loveofthegame on Mon, Apr 25, 2011, at 8:27 PM
  • If they go to scott central I would imagine that gym would be open all summer long. Tell your friend to encourage their kids top pick up a basketball, go outside, find a goal and start playing.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Apr 26, 2011, at 10:13 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: