High School Basketball Forum: Otto or Tyler?

Posted by elcodirksfan on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 5:24 AM:

I remember a lot a people doubting Tyler Hansbrough and I think he may have proved us (I had my doubts too) wrong. Will Otto have the career that Tyler had in college. I have to argue no. If for no other reason than UNC had everyone go to the NBA right before Tyler showed up. It helped Tyler playing for a bigger school and seeing better talent. However, I'm sure playing against Otto Sr. growing up didn't hurt Otto Jr. I hate GTown but I hope Otto does great. Good luck Otto.

Replies (47)

• Not even close to Tyler I wish nothing but the best for Otto i know it was an all-star game but you could tell he hasn't seen much less played that kind of talent.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:03 AM

Im just waiting for DA#1OLDCAT to come in here typing incoherently in all caps about how everyones opinion on this subject is wrong.

-- Posted by CL on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:07 AM
  • Tyler..............

-- Posted by RedDogs on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:56 AM
  • It helped that Tyler played against better talent in high school but it also helped playing on the AAU team in the summer. I don't care what anybody else thinks about the AAU circut it helps prepare you, playing every weekend against the best will help you see what you need to work on. I agree it will take Otto a couple of years but he will be a very good college player.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 9:47 AM
  • But realistically, did anyone really think Tyler was going to be THAT good in college? Be honest. I don't think anyone really thought he would end up being the best in college. So, I think it's hard to say that Otto will or won't be as good. Let Otto be Otto and see how good he can become.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 9:50 AM
  • It's not fair to compare someone to Hansbrough. He's one of the best to come out of Missouri and a 4 time college All-American. Otto will bulk up a little and be at least a decent college player. I don't think Otto will be as good as Hansbrough but I also didn't think Hansbrough would be as good as Hansbrough. So like deadred said "Let Otto be Otto and see how good he can become".

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 10:16 AM
  • Otto did fine, but was a little slow against this level of players. He wasn't playing against Bell City or Kelly, its a whole different ballgame with that group.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 10:24 AM
  • I think you are underestimating Otto. What will make him great is the same think that made Tyler great and that is not necessarily athletic ability, it is what is between their ears as my Dad always use to tell me.

Give Otto a little time to adjust and he will find a way to make it happen.

-- Posted by deervalley on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 12:07 PM
  • I would just like to say that Elco Dirks was my very favorite SEMO player when I was in elementary school, so "elcodirksfan" is my new favorite screen name. I even got his autograph after a game once. Sadly, it was lost over the years. :(

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 1:05 PM
  • I think it is so funny when people from Sikeston and Cape Central and Jackson come on here and say stuff like 'well he wasn't playing against Kelly or Bell City' or 'well those weren't Class 1 Schools out there.' First of all look at what Otto did to your team this year. They beat Jackson by about 50 and he scored more than your whole team. He basically did the same thing to Cape Central last year. He didn't get to play Cape this year because they got beat by Jackson. So you do the math. He killed Sikeston as a junior and would've done the same this year but Sikeston wouldn't play them. There are no Class 1 schools on their schedule besides the teams in their conference or the ones they played during the state tournament. The kid has been on the floor with Chicago Simeon who has a nationally ranked player. He has been on the floor with Dallas Lincoln who has a nationally ranked player. So this garbage about him needing to play AAU is stupid. He stayed home and worked on his fundamentals. You can tell. The boy can flat shoot the ball and he is 6'9!!! How many guys in the Jordan game just drove and threw up crap or tried to dunk and missed? Somebody said Otto is still only 17. Give him 2 years and he will have added 230 pounds to his body and then watch what he does.

Having said all that Hansbrough was one of the best ever in college. His career stacks up with the best so no Otto won't compare to that. But I think he will also play in the NBA. Not bad for a 'Class 1 player.'

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 2:55 PM

Playing in Class 1 is like Church league in Cape.

One good player can win it all for you!

ALSO, DID YOU ALL BEAT SIMEON OR LINCOLN? NOPE!

Just wondering?

-- Posted by HoopsFan59 on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 3:13 PM
  • Just watched the first half of the H.S. all-star game that was on ESPN2 Saturday. For this game, Porter didn't appear to be doing anything special. A let down as a matter of fact. He was just out there. Just my observation. Believe he will do better once he gets on the team at G-Town. These all-star games are all run and gun. Good luck to Porter.

-- Posted by ROTC on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 4:00 PM
  • TigerPride11, your comment is so out of touch that I'm actually surprised that it was written...and that rarely happens to me at this point.

Look, I'm all for a good-natured debate about Otto's talents compared to Tyler Hansbrough, although I think we need to remember, as some have pointed out, that Hansbrough was an All-American and a national player of the year. Any comparisons to someone on that level are pretty tough.

However, if this is going to turn into a way to run Porter down or dissect a meaningless all-star game in order to find a way to insult him then I'll put a stop to it.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 4:09 PM
  • Agreed

-- Posted by BG10 on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 4:23 PM
  • I think Otto will do fine once hes in college and playing team ball,plus offense and defense.that jordan classic was all show and all boring.I say by his sophomore year he will be doing good

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 4:35 PM

Otto certainly has more basketball skill at this point in his career than Tyler did. He's a much better shooter than Tyler was in high school.

The area that Tyler holds the advantage is the physical size. Tyler's frame was much more conducive to adding muscle than Otto's appears to be. What Tyler lacked in basketball skill he made up for by being physical on offense and defense. Watching Otto in the Jordan Brand Classic, he was pushed around on the block and beaten off the dribble. He will definitely need to add weight and muscle but also needs to work on his quickness. I'd look for him to redshirt his freshman year and put in lots of time in the weight room.

It's difficult to compare the two due to their difference in style of play, both personally and within their respective team's systems. I do believe Otto will be successful as a Hoya but it's unfair to expect him to achieve the level of national recognition Tyler received.

-- Posted by whistleone on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 5:00 PM
  • Tyler was very old for his grade during school and Otto is very young (still 17) for his grade. Check Tyler's age during his senior year, then wait until Otto hits that age and see what he is like!

-- Posted by GoSikeston on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 6:06 PM
  • Just checked B-days....Tyler turned 18 on his first day of practice his JUNIOR year....and Otto will turn 18 this summer.

-- Posted by GoSikeston on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 6:15 PM
  • That's a really good point, GoSikeston.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 6:20 PM
  • Tiger Pride you are so dumb so you think a chruch team can beat scc with otto on the bench i say hell no becasue they had 3 ppl on the team go all state

-- Posted by Cape Baseball on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:30 PM
  • The age thing doesn't really matter that much in this case. Both have been in high school the same amount of time and Tyler was that size before he turned 18 he just got a little stronger and looked older his last year. He is also just built bigger, I've seen both of these guys up close and Tyler has nearly double the wrist and finger width that Otto has, he is simply a bigger person.

ok ya Otto played two national ranked teams. If you look at the schedules of the other players in that all star game they were playing a nationally ranked team twice or more a month. They also play in much tougher districts and conferences. For SCC to beat the other teams around here by 50 it really is nothing to brag about unless that win came against sikeston but they didn't get that opportunity. Aau ball would have helped otto because he wouldn't be brand new to playing people his own skill. He will do fine but just isn't on the level of Tyler at this point.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 7:33 PM
  • I think Otto is a wonderful kid but I think he needs to put on about 40 pounds to be able to compete in the rough Big East

-- Posted by refhater on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 8:24 PM

READ MY COMMENT!

I compare Class 1 like Church League!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT OTTO OR SCC...

I didn't say teams would beat SCC but most teams in Class one are not high talent teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE POST!!!!!!

I DID NOT BASH OTTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ALL ARE TOUCHY!!!

I HOPE OTTO IS THE BIG EAST PLAYER OF THE YEAR BY THE TIME HE GRADUATES!!!!!!!!!! DO I THINK HE WILL BE? NO, but that is my opinion! Isn't that what a forum is about opinions!

It would be hard for Bradley Beal to live up to a Tyler H reputation!

GEEZZZZZ DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING AS A STRAIGHT BASHING!

Just to clarify

Class 1= Church League

-- Posted by HoopsFan59 on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 9:37 PM
  • I think out of the incoming class of freshmen austin rivers may be the only one to do what Tyler did and that's only because he's in the same conference and he will go all 4 years cause his dad will tell him to get his degree cause the nba will wait on him.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 9:45 PM
  • tigerpride so are you sayn all the big schools scc beat this year are jr high? because if 1a are church league teams,what does that make the big schools they beat then??????? very stupid comment you made. i was always told think before you speak maybe you should follow that

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 10:21 PM
  • I think he might be saying across the state class 1 schools are very weak except for SCC. at least that's how im interpretting it.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 10:26 PM
  • Well whatever he's saying, his comment are still clueless. SCC beat every team in MO that they played. Class 1 to Class 5.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Apr 18, 2011, at 11:28 PM
  • Below is a preview of your comment. If you are satisfied, press the Save button at the bottom to finish posting your comment. If you wish to correct something, use your browser's Back button to return to the previous page.

Maybe some of you are right. It isn't fair to compare Otto to one of the greatest college players ever. I was seeing a comparison in that many underestimated Tyler much like Otto is getting doubted. No doubt, if Otto explodes on the scene at GTown, all the doubters will say they told us that he would be great. Not too many people will confess to saying Tyler was too slow or un-athletic to play at UNC. I heard it a lot when he signed though. Tyler was no Adam Crader but he did pretty well in college!

So here's a question to ponder:

Does Otto Porter make Central, Jackson, ND...______ state champions if he plays there?

-- Posted by elcodirksfan on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 3:37 AM
  • If he'd been on Bernie or Charleston then there would have been no way they would have lost. I don't think Jackson would have beat McClure North with him. Cape on the other hand would have been a heck of a game between them. I still think Sikeston would have beat ND. I don't think, even with Porter, they would have been deep enough to beat Sikeston. As much as I hate to think about it, I wonder how good SCC would have been over the last 5 or 6 years if Micheal Porter and his family would have stayed at SCC.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 6:01 AM
  • guys lets be honest otto porter is 6'9 with a touch all the way out to the three point line. dont forget who is coaching G'Town John Tompson and he has proven time and time again that he can and will get the most out of his players developing them making them better everyday.

-- Posted by cape222 on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 6:41 AM
  • cape222: I hope your right. Seems like a good kid.

-- Posted by elcodirksfan on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 8:03 AM
  • I am glad you remembered no one would have guessed Tyler would have done what he did. The sky is the limit for Otto. He will make out of it whatever he wants.

-- Posted by deervalley on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 8:47 AM
  • I agree that if he played for jackson they still probably wouldn't win state because they didn't have the gaurd play. Ithink cape could've been dominant with him, just think about adding him in there, we would have him and james lane able to play perimeter and TJ still playing post and all three in there for rebounds. Then we still have andrew and curtis at gaurds. I actually think notre Dame could've beat sikeston with him. I mean they did play them better than anybody in the area and that's even with sikeston being able to focus solely on tolbert. Adding otto would allow jake to go outside when he wanted and they would still have a forward underneath to rebound, or vice versa.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 9:34 AM
  • That is an interesting question. Otto grew up in Cape and was a Cape Central student until they moved down this way. How good would Cape had been with Otto? It's hard to say. Lets just say they would manage to beat McCluer North. Well then they would have had to deal with Chaminade, who arguably was the best team in the state at the time and had beaten McCluer North by 20 about two weeks earlier. Not sure if Cape would have won it all or not. Winning the state's largest classification is a monumental task, as we have seen for the past many decades. There are so many great teams to get through. You can't have one slip-up. Just ask Chaminade.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 10:32 AM
  • Come on TigerPride11! Cape church league? I was thinking more like MAYB!

-- Posted by metro dude on Tue, Apr 19, 2011, at 2:17 PM
  • The main difference between the two is the Tyler is not nearly as athletic as Otto. What he lacked in athleticism he made up for with hard work very hard work! I dont know how good Otto will be in college but how many players from this area can make the claim to going to a Big East school or a ACC or SEC or Big 12????? Not too many right? I hope he does well at G-town and if it doesnt work out for him maybe he can come home and play here!

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 10:33 AM
  • tyler was good but lets not forget him getting shots in the knees to help grow!!! o wait many people don't know about that! Tyler is still a beast tho!

-- Posted by king_ro32 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 12:23 PM
  • and like semoball68 said how many kids from this area goes to a big school? he must be good or as good as tyler right???

-- Posted by king_ro32 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 12:31 PM
  • Well Tyler was somewhat proven when he went to college Otto is not

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 12:44 PM

The thing you have to remember about Tyler is that playing at a Class 5 school that really does play a tough schedule year in and year out like Bluff, he did see a lot of strong talent in high school. Otto played against one nationally ranked school this year. Tyler played and defeated the #1 team in the nation in Vashon that had kids who weren't even supposed to be playing high school ball. I wasn't huge on high school ball when Tyler was playing so does anyone remember what ranking he was in his recruiting class? The reason a lot of people didn't expect huge things out of Tyler starting out in college was because no one from SEMO had taken the college game by storm the way Tyler did. He was a once in a generation athlete and for Otto to look to be #2 from SEMO only to him is quite the accomplishment. However, Tyler did have more preparation to play a higher level of competition than Otto does right now. Thus, he was able to jump into the college game and succeed right away while it may take Otto a little time to adjust.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 12:54 PM
  • I can't remember the exact rankings, but most publications had Tyler is a top 5 or top 10 recruit in the country. Tyler's stock increased, not because of high school accomplishments, as much as how much he dominated the AAU scene. He went head to head against the nation's best and wore them out.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 1:14 PM
  • tyler was ranked #2

-- Posted by king_ro32 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 1:18 PM
  • otto has parts of his game tyler didnt but going into college tyler was better and more known but as far as pure talent goes i'll take a guy with that size and skill anyday i mean let be real if otto puts on a little weight he should be able to get an inside outside game which will make him ungaurdable and otto's not going to be a one and done he'll have to go to college and work everyday and beat out the people that are in front of him but in a few years if he does everything JT3 ask him to the sky's the limit for him

-- Posted by cape222 on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 5:28 PM
  • The age is no argument. Tyler was better than Otto at age 17 and 18 and will be at 25, etc. That's not a valid argument. Tyler was a four time all american and the all time leading score in the ACC. That wont be duplicated by Otto though I hope he has a great career. He seems to be average at best while playing with equal talent. I watch the Jordan All star game and didnt see him do anything.

-- Posted by FreyGuys on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 5:35 PM
  • He is equal right now because he had not played that level of competition yet. He is a very quick adjuster and will develop into the style he needs to be successful.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Apr 20, 2011, at 7:16 PM
  • BIGELW No one is proven at all until they get to college there are alot and I mean alot of great high school players that got major college scholarships only to fall flat on their face. Tyler was not proven anymore than any high school senior until he got there and proved that he belonged. Again I hope Otto goes to G-town and has a great career if not he wont be the first to try and fail!

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 4:00 PM
  • It's "Derks" for Christ's sakes!!!

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Apr 21, 2011, at 8:31 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: