High School Basketball Forum: Sideline Starter Top Ten Final Standings

Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 8:58 PM:

Well, the season is over. There are no more games to be played. We have eight months to speculate on who will be where next season and how everything will be shaken up. But this poll is not to talk about next season but to give one last salute to the season that was. For a time, I hesitated doing one final poll because I knew it would throw some people into a tizzy, but I feel like after seeing these teams as much as I did that each team is placed as appropriately as can be. Without further adieu, here is the final top ten of the season:

1) Sikeston-An undefeated season and a state title earn the Bulldogs the spot as SEMO's top team this season. They overcame the only two teams to put them out of the playoffs in the past five years in Notre Dame and Borgia and proved that the strategy of playing committee basketball instead of star and role players basketball can be a success. It was a memorable year for Sikeston that may just be the starting point for many state titles to come.

2) Scott County Central-There were two primary storylines this basketball season: could Sikeston complete an undefeated season and how phenomenal is Otto Porter? After early losses to a national powerhouse and a good large school team from Arkansas, the SCC train rolled through the rest of the season winning their third straight Class 1 title. Otto Porter finishes his career with more points in the Show-Me Showdown than any other player in history, the Show-Me Showdown single game rebound record among many other accolades.

3) Charleston-The Blue Jays fell just short of another state title in a season that started out with little fanfare. There were highs and lows in the early season, but this team got clicking during Christmas and didn't slow down. Every game they lost in 2011 was to a state champion, nothing to hang your head on. With third place at state, the Blue Jay faithful should be very proud of where they stand.

4) Cape Central-The Tigers were eliminated in the playoffs by the eventual state champs. They won their first district title in over a decade, took third place in one of the state's strongest conferences, and made more noise in the first two-thirds of the season than almost any other team. Though they faded a bit in the late part of the regular season, the Tigers rebounded for a memorable post-season campaign that has given hopes for future highs in the Tiger organization.

5) Kennett-The Indians weren't able to repeat the post-season success that they saw last season but were still able to capture some of that regular season magic as well as winning the Bootheel Conference tournament and regular season titles. The impact that Garmon, Caruthers, and the rest of the Kennett senior class was able to provide for a town that hadn't seen boys basketball success much in recent years has provided a spark for Kennett to be a continual presence.

6) Caruthersville-One of the most fun subplots to the season was the rise of Caruthersville as a force to be reckoned with in Class 3. A team that had been on the back burner of relevance in Southeast Missouri basketball came out in full force to push itself into the forefront. Raw athleticism and talent got this team within three points of a district final appearance.

7) Jackson-The Indians were another power player within the large schools that played like a district champion for the first half of their final game before falling apart down the stretch. That game almost mirrors the way that Jackson's season went. Early on, the Indians defeated Charleston, Notre Dame, and Cape Central, won third in the SEMO Conference Tournament and second in the Christmas Tournament. In the second half of the season, other teams seemed to pass them up. However, this team played above where they seemed to be for most of the year and should be commended.

8) Bernie-Speaking of teams that played above where people thought they should be, the Mules were the darlings of Southeast Missouri. Coming off a second place finish a year ago, many wrote them off as prepping for a hangover year to re-group. However, those plans were put to rest quickly as they returned to where they had been a year before and once again just barely fell short of their ultimate goal. However, the Mules were able to get wins over schools in larger classes such as Notre Dame and Dexter to prove that they weren't just a small school power but also a force in the area.

9) Notre Dame-Coming into the season, nobody knew where the Blue Dogs would end up. They were returning the guy that many thought was the best player in the area not named Otto but also realized that the team around Jacob Tolbert was maybe the least experienced in the area. Though they lost to some teams that they had not in the past, ND compiled some good out of the area wins including Helias and kept Sikeston closer than any other team in the state of Missouri.

10) Poplar Bluff-The Mules came into this season as a wildcard. They made noise early and often and pulled off one of the most memorable "upsets" in getting a 21 point win over Kennett. However, they lost their top player Jake White late in the year and weren't able to get the chemistry back together in time. In a season of success, this team kept coming close but not quite putting everything together.

In conclusion, I appreciate everyone who has made this website one of the most in-depth, informative, and entertaining places in both the area and state to discuss high school sports. As a basketball obsessive, it is disappointing that the season must come to a close but I figured this would be a good place to present final thoughts. I'll still be around but will definitely be backing off the posting so I guess this is my final major contribution for this season.

Replies (104)

• This has been a heck of a season. The SEMO area had 2 4th place finishes with Farmington and Kennett girls, a 3rd place with Charleston, a 2nd with Bernie and probably the 2 best teams in the state in SCC and Sikeston. As always the best fans and the best teams come from SEMO.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 9:28 PM
  • well sideline this is your poll but i believe scc and sikeston stand tie at the number 1 spot.......... but like i said its your poll lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:03 PM
  • also i think bernie should be number 4 but thats imo

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:05 PM

That's what is great about debate and forums like this kmasters. I've got respect for all the teams in this area and (most) all the posters on this site. Sikeston and SCC are very close. In the case of Bernie, I thought they had a great season but put them where I thought they were within this area.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:10 PM
  • thats what makes it a debate lol i would prolly have cville alittle higher but that imo..... thats what makes this country so great we can talk and post how we feel and its free... well not free our serviceman and woman do so much, so we can have these debates god bless the usa

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:20 PM
  • I would still have SCC and sikeston tied but other than that I can't complain.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:44 PM
  • Yeah I'd put Bernie above Jackson at least, they could probably beat them, but I agree with sikeston above SCC, came down to the state championship game, were not talking about school size here, but sikeston beat Borgia worse then SCC beat Dadeville, and I bet Borgia could beat Dadeville, but congrats to SCC on their third consecutive state championship, and congrats to charelston and Bernie also

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Mar 20, 2011, at 10:44 PM
  • I would agree pretty much with your poll. After watching SCC & Sikeston, I would definitely rate Sikeston as the best overall team, and would, for example, probably defeat SCC most of the time, say 2-3, or 3-5 times.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 12:39 AM
  • I think the poll looks exactly right..

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 2:51 AM

I think NMCC should be #1 lol

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 8:18 AM
  • Wow, I think this poll hit the nail on the head. I don't believe I would change a thing. At first glance I was thinking Kennett should be lower as I just have felt all season long that they were overrated, but then as I looked at the poll, I couldn't decide who should have been above them at that point, and so there you go! They were right where they should have been.

Great poll.

I realize many love the SCC/Sikeston debate, but Sikeston gets the nod between the two of them in my unbiased objective opinion. I have no dog in that fight.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 8:27 AM
  • The only reason I think they should be tied is because neither lost. Think about in college basketball, if a team starts the season at 1 but plays a weak schedule and wins out regular season while the #2 team also wins out while playing a tougher schedule they will still never be 1st. You can't drop a spot without losing. So they didn't turboclock dadeville, look at march madness right now and you see top teams beating low seeds by a couple points. That's just how post season play is. Its been a great season though.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:26 AM
  • This poll gets it right. At the end of the season Sikeston was playing better than anybody. No disrespect to the Braves at all but at the end of the season Sikeston looked like the best team in the state. After those two great teams it is Charleston, Cape, Kennett, Cville, and then you can argue over Bernie/Jackson if you want to but this poll gets it right. Bernie had a great year for a team without much of a bench. Overall a great year for basketball in the area.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 10:14 AM
  • Sikeston should absolutely be number 1. Scott Central won the Class 1 state final by 15 points. Sikeston beat Borgia handily. Maybe that will dispense this nonsense of them(scc) being the best team in the state. No disrespect meant toward the Braves at all. They are the Class 1 champions and that is awesome. But I have always kind of chuckled when I hear people say they would win class four or class five. I'm not sure they are clearly better than Hogan Prep, although you could argue that they'd beat them.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 10:31 AM
  • SCC beat Sikeston last year and would beat them this year as they did in summer ball. Boils down to this Sikeston's AD was the chicken and would not play. Fact SCC called and wanted to play and Sikeston's AD was very rude to Al and did not want to play so SCC wins! I guess he was mad his BFF Joe Bill would not get to hand them the win again. Are you really saying because Dadeville played SCC to 15 is the basis of your whole point? What a joke Dadeville hit NBA range 3's and was allowed to push and hold Otto every trip to keep it halfway close. Boriga could not throw it in the ocean plus Dadeville is no joke they lost one game all year and Boriga lost 9. Dadeville's goal all year was to play SCC close as Sikeston was to beat Boriga and had Sikeston not had a Porter step up and carry them in the finals Sikeston would have choked once again. Sikeston beat schools with double digit loses almost all the way to their title if you want to throw that out there. SCC has Otto Sikeston don't edge SCC!

-- Posted by nohands on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 10:58 AM
  • The teams played this summer and the ones with Braves on their shirts won! End of debate!

-- Posted by nohands on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM

^ The almighty fan has spoken. He said its the end of debate so it must be true.

-- Posted by CL on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Didn't Janiel Hatchett also play for the Braves this summer when they played? If so, Sikeston wins during the year. I do think SCC could have won classes 1,2, and 3 this year.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:48 AM

Yes, Janeil was playing for Scott Central and Sikeston was being coached by Rocket689. I'm trying to figure which handicap was tougher to overcome LOL. I'm also trying to figure out who "Boriga" is.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:51 AM

sikeston AD wanted a perfect season. No loses. Therefor he didn't schedule SCC for the threat of being beaten. Plain and simple, and it worked nicely.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 12:13 PM
  • SCC beat Sikeston by 1 point.....Janiel played for SCC. Yes....Otto played for SCC as well. Sikeston also had a liability on the bench. nohands....you obviously have no clue. Please....before you post, understand the facts. Or, at least, fake it.

Borgia couldn't shoot well because of the Dogs D.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 12:15 PM
  • Sikeston AD had nothing to do with it. SCC never called for a game. Sikeston never called them for a game. Both schedules were full. It's as simple as that. There was never any discussion between the two schools for a game this season. After last year's game, SCC's superintendent, who worked so hard to get the game scheduled last year, said, "never again" because of all the headaches it caused.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 1:30 PM
  • I only saw Sikeston play a couple of games (including the one against us) and saw SCC only in the two games at Columbia. I was very impressed with Sikeston's team this year - good, solid team that did not feel compelled to show up the competition just because they could.

SCC was harder to judge since we did not play them. However, I did notice during the semi-final game, they quietly racked up point after point with very few flashy plays that stick out. This is not a criticism. I actually like that they went about their business and played their game. In the final game I would have to agree that Dadeville was allowed to manhandle Otto at least in the first half. Had fouls been called early, I believe the margin of victory would have been more.

On a side note, I kinda liked the NBA 3s. Of course being from Bernie, we do tend to live or die by the 3 pt shot.

I should also note that the second half comebacks for Charleston boys and Kennett girls were very impressive. SEMO was represented well in Columbia this year.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 1:38 PM

Nohands...

Seriously, Where do you come up with this garbage. Both teams had full schedules! Nothing else....

Sikeston would have beat SCC by 15+ because of one reason and one reason only... WE ARE BETTER!

Not because the ref was the President of the Chamber of Commerce of Sikeston. It wasn't even JBD's call at the end of the game. If you are mad get mad at Harmon... It was his call to make on the baseline. You want to talk about fouls look at the mugging that Michael Porter took all game! Was that because the "President of the Chamber of Commerce" wanted Sikeston to win? (RIGHT) If he wanted Sikeston to win I think he could have started the calls/no calls before the last play of the game. Moron!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 1:58 PM
  • bluemules, I agree all of the Semo teams played well and represented this part of the state well.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • bluemules, I agree all of the Semo teams played well and represented this part of the state well.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • Nohands, Borgia lost nine games because they played a tough schedule, let Dadeville play in their schedule and see if they come into the state finals with zero losses, it would be hard for any team too. And as for the first game between sikeston and SCC a couple years ago, if anyones to blame it's drew thomas, he air balled that three which sparked a sikeston comeback, Bobby was going down regardless if anyone touched him, that's why he is so good, he has amazing body control and a great touch.. But what does that game or last years game have to do with this season? Sikeston beat the common opponents by the same amount or greater, sikeston went undeafted and SCC didn't, and sikeston won their state championship game against a rival who looked unbeatable the game before, but when it's all said and done, these two teams are still the two best in the state, and even though they couldn't play for whatever reason, it has nothing to do with the players

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 3:33 PM

Thanks semohoops for clearing that up and once again arguing with every post I put on here. I think you have a crush on me are something.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 3:49 PM
  • I remember the rumor going around a couple years ago about SCC and sikeston were going to combined.. If they would have sikeston would have still been class 4, they would have been top 50 in the nation, easily

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 3:58 PM
  • I just correct mistakes and inaccurate posts. It just so happens you have a lot of those BuckMajor. ;)

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 4:09 PM

I feel yah dude.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 4:45 PM
  • Geez, here we go AGAIN. The thread has been hijacked by the SCC/Sikeston debate. This one isn't just about those two teams, it was a top 10.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 8:54 PM

GreatFun... Everyone else agrees on the rest of the list... It's the TOP TWO everyone has a problem with and that is why there is a debate.

Sikeston Number 1

SCC Number 1A

Is that better?!?!?!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 8:59 PM
  • scc and sikeston number 1 then the rest ,scc has been ranked number 1 all year and they also won state just like sikeston did, so the 2 deserve the number 1 spot dont say scc played a weaker schedule because i didnt see sikeston playing simieon (spell) so dont say they played a weaker schedule both teams deserve the no 1 spot

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:29 PM

Kmasters, we are going to have a disagreement here. While SCC did play Simeon, they also played Greenville, Woodland, Richland, East Prairie, Chaffee, Kelly, and Delta. The thing that all of these teams had in common was that they are outside of the Top 300 teams in the state of Missouri according to Massey Ratings. For those that say it is inaccurate and that fans only use it when it helps them, I've been following and using it for multiple years. It predicted that Sikeston would defeat Borgia 70-55 which was the score till Sikeston scored a couple of last second baskets to push the lead. The only two teams Sikeston played outside the Top 300 were Warrenton and Ste. Genevieve. So yes, you played the best opponent but Sikeston played the more consistently strong competition throughout the year and thus the stronger schedule.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:43 PM
  • dadeville was good. they were obviously very well coached and their kids stuck to the gameplan. but they are no borgia or any other class four team that was at columbia. i dont see why people get upset when i say scc is not the best team in the state. its not like im disrespecting them. also, i dont blame an administrator for not wanting to make the scc and sikeston game happen. people probably get real stupid at that game.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:46 PM
  • I still don't think sikestons bench comes into play between these two. Sikeston wears teams out like that but they wont be able to outrun scc. Otto is the deciding factor in this, I don't care if sikeston has faced tall teams, they haven't faced otto. Teams match up and play differently against different teams so you can't compare scores.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:47 PM
  • i totally agree with sideline starter

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:49 PM

And SCC did lose... They were ranked preseason #1 and LOST TO BOTH NORTH LITTLE ROCK and SIMEON!

So yes they LOST

SIKESTON #1

And Sideline is right on with his information... Not only did you play the BEST team on both schedules you also played the worst 6 or 7 teams and you played a couple of them twice due to Christmas and Conference tourney!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 9:54 PM
  • And sikeston played no cupcakes? At no point was scc ranked higher in state so I don't know why people keep saying that. They've been 1 spot lower all season ranked by people that probably hadn't seen either play until columbia. Sikestons downfall in this game would be that they would finally run into a team that can play that pace for 4 quarters. Every big game this season they start slow and then pull away late in the 3rd due to the other team gasping for air. I feel sikeston would actually be worn out more by this game simply due to scc's press with a 6'9" player in the middle that can run with them. I didn't watch the dadeville game but I've watched enough of scc to know that they sometimes slack off, play it safe, and just enjoy the game because they can. Since when is winning by 15+ not good enough.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:12 PM
  • When everyone associated with them predicted 30+ point wins through the playoffs, and semosports you predicted a cape win against sikeston I believe, which never happened.. But it's just a poll and it is just for fun

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Mar 21, 2011, at 11:20 PM
  • I'd go with SCC and Sikeston tied for #1. They've been tied or SCC has been on top all year, and neither have lost since that order was established. I can't see why it would change much after both teams go on to win state.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 3:46 AM
  • Sikeston did not have a full schedule,once they seen they did not want anything to do with SCC they picked up Cville to fill the open spot they had.They were too worried about staying undefeated!!If you want to be #1 you need to beat the #1 team first..SCC is the #1 team in in this area this year for sure!!!! To be honest I doubt they could have beat Dadeville...So don't come on here waving around an undefeated season,when you wouldn't even play the little ol school out in the field just a few miles from you,for fear of a loss!!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 5:04 AM
  • Your "doubt Sikeston could have beat Dadeville" statement is why no one will ever take you seriously.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 6:35 AM
  • How can you expect to be taken seriously when you state that Sikeston could not beat Dadeville? I mean, come on, you should have to pay a fine to semoball for making such an absurd statement.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:17 AM
  • I saw Dadeville. I would rank them in the ballpark of an Oak Ridge. Not as good as Bernie but probably slightly better than Oak Ridge.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:43 AM

While we are throwing fines around please charge him for saying anything at all...

He should have multiple charges now for those dumb statement.

I have seen Sikeston everygame and the only games that Sikeston played where SCC would have had a chance "CHANCE" to keep up or even beat them would have been Henry County and Notre Dame in Districts. I don't think SCC would be within 15 on any other night.

Would someone tell us how SCC beat Sikeston again this summer without knowing all the facts. LOL

This summer in Charleston with the assistance of Janeil Hatchett, Oh wait he plays for Sikeston!!!

And with 6'8" Otto Porter and one of Sikeston KEY players they still only one on a foul call that sent Otto to the line and he hit the free throws.

Sikeston team got a shot off and was a good look just didn't fall! Plus on that shot at the end of the game the Sikeston shooter was fouled and no one from Sikeston ran down the refs and tried to start a fight. Can you beleive that DA? Nothing like Self Control!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • SCC won the last two meetings between the two. Sikeston's "second unit" is not as good as people make them out to be and SCC would pull ahead when they came in. Otto would have his way and if Sikeston tried to double on him the others would hit wide open lay ups like last year. Otto would work the middle and throw over Sikeston's press and attack the slower Will and Corey in the back for layups and draw fouls just like last year. Just like Sikeston fans to simply forget how last year they were going to beat SCC 20+ but that did not happen now did it?

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:07 AM

^What a joke.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:13 AM
  • nohands.....again your facts are JUST INCORRECT. SCC did not win the last two meetings. Sikeston won in 2009 and SCC won in 2010. I wouldn't call the summer game a "meeting" since Sikeston wasn't at full strength....besides it was AAU ball.

Every day I am amazed at the posts on here. And I quote..."once they seen they did not want anything to do with SCC they picked up Cville to fill the open spot they had.They were too worried about staying undefeated!!" And I quote again...."sikeston AD wanted a perfect season. No loses. Therefor he didn't schedule SCC for the threat of being beaten. Plain and simple, and it worked nicely." What? The schedule was made before the season started!! Oh....I forgot...Sikeston has the market cornered on soothsayers. Yes...that's it. We only schedule who we can beat so we can have an undefeated season. We KNEW...without a shadow of a doubt.....that we could go to the St. Dominic tourney in St. Louis and win that tourney...facing 2-3 VERY GOOD St. Louis schools! If that's what we do in Sikeston, then why don't we go undefeated every year....in every sport?!!?!??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Some people's ignorance knows no boundaries!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:22 AM

When Will Holifield got knocked out of the game it was a 4 point game...

Not like last years team is who we are talking about...

This season Sikeston would win my 15+

Lets schedule a fundraiser for American Cancer Society and have a Class 1 Champ vs Class 4 Champ game and play at the Field house. All proceeds going to American Cancer Society!

Have businesses that are interested in sponsoring the programs, refs, security and anything else needed to make this happen step up so that SCC and Sikeston State Champs can put a HUGE donation to the American Cancer Society.

Lets get this done!!!!!! Sounds like fun!!!!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:22 AM
  • Even if they played each other now, it would not stop this bantering. You all just have too much fun with this.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:29 AM

We could put a dream team of officals together for Da and Nohands to be happy with.

Jay Cookson

Brad Cookson

Al McFerrin

Now that would stack the deck!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:29 AM
  • Hoops you see what the score was when Sikeston did not have their hand picked refs? Oh yeah a player who avg less than 2 rebounds assist steals and less than 10 points per game last year would have made up 20 points? He looked fine when he came back in and he was still holding his arm up in the air after every shot. It was 14 when he came out btw. Yeah not like last years when Sikeston had two big guys in the middle and this year they are smaller so Otto swats everything and gets nearly all the rebounds. Do you belive the crap your fingers are typing? SCC by 19+ again!

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 10:51 AM

14... When the actual collision happend between Otto and Will Sikeston was only down by 4. He sat out the next few minutes then tried to come back in and couldn't function. Missed the rest of the game and even the next couple of games. So don't give my that load of $*1t.

If we were lucky your name on here would be true and we wouldn't have to see the stuff you are typing!

nohands=wishful thinking cause we wouldn't have to read anymore post by you!

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:00 AM
  • What are you smoking??? Sikeston would wear SCC out. They is no way SCC could stay up with Sikeston subbing in and out.

They only reason Borgia stay with Sikeston as long as they did were the extra TV timeouts or it would have been worse than it was.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:19 AM

Will holifield averaged 12 points per game last season...

Sikeston junior Will Holifield obliged in the first half.

He had 12 points in the first quarter with a 4-of-6 performance from 3-point range. The hot shooting of Will Holifield kept the Bulldogs close in the first quarter as the Braves got a 3-pointer from Dominique Porter in the closing seconds to take a 22-19 lead at the end of the first.

Will Holifield collided with Otto Porter and suffered a concusion and was making SCC cover the outside but when he went down the outsid threat was cut and SCC packed it in to keep us off the boards and from driving to the basket. Also if you want you can read the story again just google it and you will see without the presence of Will Holifield last years team wasn't as solid. Oh and by the way Will alread had 12 points in the first quarter last season! finished with 14 total before the trainer took him out of the game with concusion symptoms!

NOHAND don't come to a gun fight with "HANDS"

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:21 AM
  • SCC by 19+ Oh yeah SCC did not have Stuart Johnson either plus Reggie Woodson had just got back and had not played all year. If they had played it would have been a turbo clock! If you want to keep dreaming up excuses for why you guys lost and we can make up excuses why you were not turbo clocked. Why did Janiel play for SCC last summer what happened?

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:33 AM
  • Excuses? LMAO! WOW! I don't think you could really break out the excuses comment after their meeting in 2009.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:36 AM
  • TV time outs? Dadeville also got those but I know that is part of the game that can not be changed so I did not wanna bring that up. Poor excuse from another Sikeston fan. Sikeston would NOT wear SCC down so drop that and like I said all that subin would do more harm than good vs SCC.

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • Sikeston by 15+ easily!

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:46 AM
  • Sikeston fans have the most excuses I have ever seen. Boohoo "ND and Boriga get to recruit" How many years did we have to hear that one? The best one was "We were good before the Porters came to town" even though Sikeston had several sub .500 years right before they got there oh and "If Will had not got hurt" but if an SCC fan says a foul should have been called on the last play we are crying? Give me a break I guess in the Butler game the ref should have not called that foul either because it was the last play but it was the right call.

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:50 AM
  • ROFL!

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:55 AM
  • Well, since obviously neither side will ever budge on this topic, the only other way to get an "outside" view is to go to non-biased computers.

I went to Massey Ratings and Max Preps to see what the computers could come up with.

Max Preps doesn't calculate hypothetical matchups, but it does rankings. Max Preps ranks Sikeston 57th in the nation and 2nd overall in the state. SCC is ranked 289th in the nation and 8th overall in the state.

With schedule dominating a lot of the talk, I found it interesting that Massey Ratings ranked Sikeston's schedule as the 52nd toughest in the state compared to SCC's schedule being ranked the 90th toughest in the state. Sikeston's offense was ranked 4th in the state while SCC is ranked 6th in the state. Sikeston's defense was ranked 11th in the state compared to SCC's defense ranked 43rd in the state.

(I believe offense and defense is calculated by how many points you score/allow relative to your opponent. For example, if you score 70 points against Holt compared to 70 points against a lower ranked team such as Chaffee, obviously the computers will hold more weight with the stronger opponent).

Finally, I did Massey's hypothetical matchup (which I find to be extremely accurate). Massey's prediction?......

Sikeston 71, Scott County Central 67

So it predicts another classic battle, but giving the slight edge to Sikeston on a neutral floor.

Take it for what it's worth. Some people don't believe the Massey projections are accurate, but usually those people are the ones whose team had been predicted to lose. Of course it isn't 100 percent accurate (what is?). But it is as accurate as any formula I've ever seen. It is used in college football so there is some merit to it. I just put it out there for entertainment purposes. It's a non-biased, strictly computer driven formula.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:56 AM
  • SCC 19+ easy! Sikeston fans walking out early again!

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Once again, facts posted and then followed by more wishful thinking.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:08 PM
  • Not all of SCC scores are posted and no stats are on Maxpreps. Massey has Sikeston 2nd and SCC 4th. SCC out scored the Massey predictions almost everytime and the only times they did not were in huge blow out games. However Massey is pretty close most of the time but I recall them predicting a Sikeston win last year or like a 2 point games so SCC 19+ again.

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • Methinks walking out early would be preferable to attacking referees.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:35 PM
  • What... a SCC fan disagreeing with someone????

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:38 PM
  • Yeah showing your kids support like what? We support you as long as your winning but if if you get beat by a class one team we will walk out on you. I had rather have some one stand up for me than walk out on me.

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:50 PM

Ramble ramble ramble. No one cares. Basketball is over. Nothing can be done.

-- Posted by CL on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 12:52 PM
  • nohands....your arguments would hold water if they were backed up with actual facts.

I don't recall any Sikeston fans leaving early. There may have been a few, but it's not like the whole side of the gym left.

There goes that darn facts thing again.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 1:02 PM
  • So you're telling me that no SCC fan has ever left with one or two minutes left in a game?

And if they had, you still prefer the fan that will attack a referee as opposed to one that leaves when a game's outcome is no longer in doubt? OK great, glad we got the priorities set.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 1:05 PM

I didn't say sikestons AD created the whole schedule with easy teams so they wouldn't have any loses. The point was he didn't schedule SCC before the season for the threat of being beaten. Thats just what I believe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 1:09 PM
  • You're free to believe that. I can assure you he has nothing to do with it and if he did, winning and losing is the farthest thing from his motive. After last year's game, neither side ever called the other. It was never an issue.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 1:19 PM

I am going to start debating like nohands...

Sikestn 19+ with SCC fans attacking all referees

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 1:43 PM
  • What facts are there as to why Sikeston would beat SCC? Fact SCC beat Sikeston last year and this summer so why would the out come of a game between the two be any different? Oh wait the same Massey rating that the BCS uses? Right that is a Fact? Yeah the BCS is never questioned. Fact is if Sikeston had won last year and in the summer I would agree but how dare me say history and the best player is on SCC's side! I say SCC 19+ with some idiot barking the whole game!

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 3:43 PM
  • Rocket what are the facts that Sikeston would beat SCC? There are none 0.0. However SCC lost one player last year a very great guard and gained two, a very good point guard and the Xfactor Woodson. Sikeston lost their two strongest and tallest players and gained four or five players that are not any better than the ones they already had so why would I not assume that SCC would control the boards and score with ease against Sikeston with two slower players on the back of the press? Who does Sikeston have that would stop Otto?

-- Posted by nohands on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 4:03 PM

^Someones worked up.

-- Posted by CL on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 4:04 PM
  • Massey is pretty accurate but didn't it predict sikeston beating cape by a touchdown in football and under 10 in basketball? Computers can't account for illness or off nights. Using summer ball is like using spring training baseball to determine the world series. I just want some reasons why sikeston would win, I'm non biased as I respect both teams, but I feel scc would win this and I've already given my reasons but nothing has been said as to why sikeston would win besides computer ratings.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:22 PM
  • Otto is not on the team anymore. Care to make a wager for this year's AAU game?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:31 PM
  • Since this game did not and will not take place no one can provide "facts". It is all opinons.

-- Posted by trainhard on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:38 PM
  • Here's a fact. Otto is graduating.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:42 PM
  • Reasons why they would win; better shooting, will busted a lot of there's in one quarter, and he is a better shooter this year, SCC wouldn't just rack up points off of turnovers, neither would sikeston, but sikeston can excel in a half court offense better then SCC I believe. Sikeston also wouldn't get worn out by SCC and could always have someone banging around with Otto, stamina wouldn't be the issues but keepin pressure on him and hopefully drawing a few fouls.

Yes SCC has Otto but he can't score 50 points, they could shut his teammates down, it's not stopping Otto 100% it's limiting his surrounding casts points and rebounds..

An nohands you make SCC fans look bad, why even bring up summer ball, either you forgot or had no idea SCC had janiel on it, and you won by what? A single point? That's not something I would use as my reason they'd win, because he's way more then just a one point swing..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:45 PM
  • And the game probably wasn't scheduled for this reason right here, people are getting worked up about whose going to win on a game that will never happen. Plus no SCC fans would be just dying to play next year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:47 PM
  • By the way, good top 10 sideline. I've enjoyed it all year.

-- Posted by trainhard on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:50 PM

Sikeston lost hatchett, porter, Howard, and hollifield. Care to make a wager for this years AAU game!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:53 PM
  • I'll double whatever you want to put out there Bucko.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 7:59 PM

I was just being a butt.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:02 PM
  • And a good one at that...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:05 PM

If your gonna do a job, do it well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:08 PM
  • Pretty sure rocket took the team somewhere to play today

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:22 PM
  • Let's just say otto gets 36, that seems reasonable for a game he would be going all out in for a complete game against a good defense. Im willing to bet that the other 4 starters can pull off 9 points a piece, there's 72. Say SCC uses 2 bench player, one scores 6 and the other 2. Now you're at 80 points and that's holding the rest of the team to relatively low numbers. I just can't see sikeston pulling out that many points in a game where they wouldn't be very productive inside, can't wear the opposition down as much, and would have limited points off turnovers. I think Will would still shoot fine from outside because of the scc games I've watched they haven't done a great job of finding shooters, just stormed to the ball. But I would guess that cookson and weight would have somebody following him around. Semosports ratings/predictions> massey lol.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • now if you are talkn bout dream team refs lets add mr. bill lol had to throw that out there heheheheheheehehehe

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Mar 22, 2011, at 9:34 PM
  • I thought this was interesting...

Sikeston High BEAT Blytheville

Blytheville BEAT Paragould

Paragould BEAT Cabot

Cabot BEAT North Little Rock

North Little Rock BEAT Scott County Central

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 4:07 PM
  • bro.....where in the H*$^ did you come up with that????? LOL! That's funny! It's kinda like the ole 5 steps away from being related to anyone!!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 4:20 PM
  • By the way gadget....our first tournament is April 9 in Farmington. I expect you and the Bums to be there!!!! LOL!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 4:21 PM
  • It's the five degrees of how Sikeston beats SCC. Someone wanted facts. Here they are...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 4:55 PM

North little rock lost THREE key starters since that first game were they beat SCC. Thank you, come again.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 5:01 PM
  • Oh yeah, and Hatchett played for SCC this summer.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 6:28 PM
  • Who cares? Sikeston didn't want to play SCC this year and with Otto Porter graduating SCC isn't going to want to play Sikeston. Just be proud that the 2 best teams in the state came from the same zipcode.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 8:14 PM
  • wasnt kobe on scc and l james on sikeston this summers aau teams hahahahaahahahahahaahaha i love these post great entertainment im glad this country is so great and let us have these debates peace out lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 8:21 PM

Careful fatboy, the semohoops police will jump on you like white on rice and a paper plate and a styrofoam cup in a snow storm with that " didnt want " stuff.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 8:26 PM
  • and whoever said dadeville was the same as oak ridge wasnt watchn the same game as i was!!!!!!!! dadeville is way better than oak ridge them boys really impressed me they could hoop it up my hat is off to them,they played excellent ball

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Mar 23, 2011, at 8:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: