High School Basketball Forum: Congrats Cape Central - DISTRICT BKB CHAMPS!

Posted by vincebrown on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:02 AM:

I tell ya... with all the trash talk that goes on this neck of the woods, you think Cape Central fans would flood this message board. Somehow I think they may be still basking in the glow of what was a second half shutdown of Jackson.

10-0 in the 3rd? THAT'S DEFENSE!

Big ups to TJ Tisdell. Kid raised his stock tremendously by outplaying John Meyer. That should be a great post battle next season. Curtis Branch's 8-0 run to start the third was also key.

Next stop- Farmington. ALL ABOARD!!

Replies (27)

• Greetings Mr.Brown & all you Southeast Missouri Hoop fans. It sounds like there were several great games Friday night. The girls district 1 class 5: Jackson & Bluff and the boys: Cape & Jackson. I wonder what people think about those games & if they think the boys game was really as rough as what I've heard. The girls game sounded like another heart stopper that could have once again gone either way. Its sad that Jackson lost as I would have really liked to see Brooke Sanders get an another opportunity to keep playing. Regarding the boys - I heard that the refs should have called more fouls - especially against Cape. I was told that Jackson outplayed them and should have won but didn't get the calls. Since I didn't see the game I have no idea if that is true or just someone upset because their team lost. Anyway, congrats to all those teams that won & I hope they represent SE Missouri well.

-- Posted by SEMO87 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:37 AM
  • There were questionable calls on both sides, but from my point of view more fouls should have been called against Jackson.

-- Posted by SemoBallFan5 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:44 AM
  • The only other fouls that should have been called were the regular fouls that should have been intentional when they were deliberately trying to take curtis branch out of the game...and yes jackson did outplay cape in the first half but Cape dominated the second half...Jackson did not score at all in the 3rd quarter

-- Posted by cttigers on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:47 AM
  • jackson outplayed cape in the 1st half IMO. 2nd half cape completely shut jackson down. great game cape central!!!!

-- Posted by uptobat on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:49 AM
  • Congrats to Cape! I give my props to y'all! Go and get another win next week!

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 3:25 AM

It was nip and tuck both ways. I had the chance to call the game and the refs did what they needed to do. Bobby Clark was key on the O-glass in the first half. Central just made the right adjustments.

Didn't hurt that the Branch kid finally decided to create off the dribble - had the first 8 points of a 12-0 second half run.

Blake Ozbun - two words: X FACTOR. Gotta love a kid who doesn't mind getting dirty.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 8:07 AM
  • I don't think jackson completely outplayed cape in the first half, they did on the boards but that was it. Cape could've been up by 10 going into half if they didn't miss so many layups. The more I see jackson this year the more I think that the incident with BJ young and john meyer was started by john. The kid plays dirty when things aren't going his way.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 5:32 PM
  • ^ Agreed. But for anyone, who before this game said Jackson shouldn't be counted out, and that cape wasn't the obvious better team goin into this game.... Jackson scored 0 points in the 3rd quarter, thats gotta say somethin.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 1:11 PM

UH-OH Cape snappin out.

Reppin SEMO.

-- Posted by CL on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 1:19 PM
  • From a Sikeston fan...Good luck Cape! Represent SEMO hoops well in Class 5!! Good luck Wednesday!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 1:55 PM

Good luck to CT. It will be interesting to see how Branch does vs. Young.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 2:46 PM
  • I'm thinking the same thing yah-yah. I wish I could be at both games, but nothing is gonna keep me away from MAC on Wednesday!

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 6:13 PM
  • To be completely honest, im a little worried about curtis vs young. I think curtis can handle the ball well enough and is quick enough but young is like 6'3" and insanely athletic. It will be hard for curtis to get shots off while young is on him. Hopefully we can set some good screens to get separation for him.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 6:45 PM
  • I'm pretty sure McClure North played an extended 2-3 Zone vs Jackson.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 6:58 PM

Remember, there's always a mental side to this game. Central showed its mental toughness in the second half, even when Branch got hacked hard late in the 4th. Good to see the kids stand up, better to see the captains keep them back b4 anything got out of hand.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 7:54 PM
  • It looked a little like a match up from what I remember but they might have just played like that for that game because jackson had nobody that they needed to focus on individually.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 8:42 PM
  • I remember picking Jackson up at half court in some kind of half court trap and then fell back in a 2-3 zone. Maybe the scott1130 can tell us.

And if they play man Granger will probably be on Tisdell since he had 18 the other night and Lane had an off game with only 4. I don't rememeber them having another big guy and I'll take James one-on-one any day if they don't double down.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 9:44 PM
  • Vince, I don't know why anyone would think by outplaying John Meyer they would be playing well. The guy is 6'8" and has no vertical. He falls down a lot without even being touched and when he is touched he gets knocked down. Tisdale and about any other post player can outplay Meyer. I don't know for sure but I don't think he averages more than 7 pts a game. Sure he blocks some shots because of his length but he has a long way to go before he becomes a dominant player. I'm hoping he can next year.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 9:02 PM
  • My congrats to Cape! I think they have a good chance against Mc North.

Tisdale had a good night the other night because of who was guarding him...Meyer can not defend anyone with any athleticism.

Branch had a better second half because Jackson had to move McDowell down to help out with Tisdale and company opening up the top for Branch because Newcomer and Rhodes are not good defenders.

IMO the reffing was weak! They lost control of the game and tried to make up for it but it was too late. When Branch was fouled in the lane in the 4th quarter on transition the refs put Williams on the line! Really? Are the refs paying attention? Branch was pushed across half court and a back court was called! Again, are you kidding? And Branch could be the next Lebron as much as he carries the ball! What has happened to that call? Jackson guards do it, bluff, sikeston? It has become non-existent!

The fouls that cttiger refer to were just hard fouls with no intent by McDowell. If any of you ever saw his brother Seth play who is now a Central coach you would know that he would not have found the foul offensive! He was a very aggressive hard nosed player and would have done the same thing. Coach Church may have gotten upset but he has played enough to know the same, it was a good hard foul.

If you are hurt so bad after a foul like that and you have stayed down as Branch did, you don't just pop back up and go about your business if you are.....really truly hurt.

I enjoyed the game and hope that SEMO is represented well and that Cape moves on!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 10:35 AM
  • Im going to agree with semosports about the meyer kid and localfan imnot sure which game you were watching but mcdowell tried to take him down and it just didnt work and the second foul was called on newcomber was an aggressive foul the intentional part was the meyer kid going after branch after the foul..he is just really sneaky about it..saw him trip a kennett player when things didnt go his way..vince totally agree with you about ozbun...the kid isnt flashy but he will fight for the ball especially late in the game and always seems to come up with the ball..and hes a great kid

-- Posted by cttigers on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • Local fan don't make a comment about an injury you know nothing about. Mcdowell hit branch in the privates and went knee to knee with him which is why he was on the ground holding his knee but he knew he had to play and his team needed him, he struggled running and cutting full speed the rest of the game and was still limping yesterday. The trainer did not come out because then branch would have had to come out of the game which church didn't want to do down the stretch. You also act like the only defender jackson has is mcdowell when I would play bobby anyday over him as a defensive player. He plays dirty....just like his brother and a lot of jackson players. Anybody remeber the hard fouling days of antonio and grantham? Don't get me wrong, I love physical play and if you must foul hard to prevent the shot in some circumstances but that's not the way a lot of jackson players play the game, its almost like a football mentality on the court.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 8:59 PM
  • Have to agree SemoSports, there is a trend there. Almost the same situation with Farmington. They try to play just as dirty if not worse.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 9:30 PM
  • Didn't intend to raise the hair on your neck semosports! If you know more about this injury let it be known!

Wasn't saying that he didn't get hurt! Adrenaline can do amazing things in the heat of battle.

I was dissappointed in the calls both ways! If you don't want to see hard fouls then the refs need to establish their presence, which did not happen and allowed hard fouls to occur!

Cape needs Branch in order to have a chance Wednesday.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 9:53 AM
  • From another Sikeston Fan, good luck Cape....

-- Posted by Harp98 on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 9:58 AM
  • And good luck Sikeston...Bring it home

-- Posted by cttigers on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 11:50 AM

SemoSports or cttigers, are one of you going to be at the game tonight and be able to provide updates?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM
  • Tonights game should be interesting both very aggresive teams. Branch is a great asset to the team and will help out alot, the best thing about Curtis he isnt selfish he will pass to any of his teammates that is open. Ozbun is a good player but he is suppose to go in their and get rebounds and most the time he looks confused and lost, he got limited time against Jackson.. Oh and whats with putting the bench in the last 18seconds?? might as well keep in the starters the rest of the time.. I mean why give them an 18second break they have done played the whole game.

-- Posted by CTalum on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 12:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: