High School Basketball Forum: Playing Sikeston

Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 4:03 PM:

If you were a coach playing Sikeston how would you try to attack them? Slow it down like Jackson did or try to outrun them like Kennett? Im just wondering.

Replies (27)

• Don't schedule them

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 4:11 PM
  • same way as I would play SCC, with 6 players.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 4:16 PM

With pistols and machettes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 4:28 PM

Cause you said how would you attack them hahaha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 4:28 PM
  • Seriously, if you can't run the court with them when you're on defense, it does not matter what you do unless you can keep the ball away from them for 32 minutes and make a basket to win 2-0. If you slow things down on offense, most teams will either end up losing the ball after a minute or so or just get 1 shot, which you better make. So, the best way to approach any team like Sikeston or SCC is to play to your own strengths and pray.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 5:17 PM
  • i say you have to try to play at a tempo that suits your team, not drastically slow it down. That just starts to get teams out of rythym and play worse. Regardless Sikeston will be playing quick so if I were a coach I would just be running hard, high intensity practices for about a month in advance.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 5:51 PM

I was thinking kind of a combo of the two. when you get the ball push it and try to get a layup. but if you don't get a layup pull it out to half court and stand there. When the top two people in the zone step out, pass it to a high post man and have the other guards and post cut to the basket. if you can't get a layup pull the ball out and try it again. Eventually, if you don't turn it over, the defense will either get tired or lazy and you could get an easy bucket. but that's just me

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 6:26 PM

^ what kind of press are you thinking? I'm thinking like 3/4 court soft man just to try to slow them down.

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Wed, Jan 26, 2011, at 7:24 PM
  • i would pressure their gaurds because i have seen in the past that a lot of their gaurds dont do good if they have a lot of pressure put on them.

-- Posted by <8910> on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:16 PM
  • So far, everyone that has tried to slow it down...ie Cape and Jackson has been beat. Try running with them at your own risk. Get beat by 25 or more slowing it down or 30 by running... either way its just a matter of time. They have proven they are disciplined in the half court as well as the up tempo.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:20 PM
  • Coaches normally think if you hold the ball that the team on defense will get tired and lazy. But Jackson tried the stall game and it backfired badly. Sikeston wouldn't let them sit there and hold it and they were actually down more points at halftime than they were the first time they played them. Sikeston still comes out and pressures the ball and they are deep enough so nobody gets tired. I would suggest just do what you do, don't turn the ball over, and make shots. Easier said than done, I know.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:22 PM
  • I think that Jackson was hoping that by slowing it down, Sikeston would get rattled, lazy and/or tired of chasing. It almost seemed like Jackson taxed themselves more on offense. To play slow and methodical, a team would have to play perfectly. That is hard to do with the pressure the Bulldogs bring on every possession.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:28 PM
  • I personally don't think you can press them, but what do you have to lose if your an opposing team. I challenge anybody to try to run with them.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:28 PM
  • Why is Sikeston not ranked in the USA Today Top-25??? I dont get it!!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:30 PM

Not sure Sikeston could play with the likes of Simeon,Poly, and Oak Hill Academy. Not taking anything away from them but these schools are ranked nationally every year and I'm sure great players, in order to get attention on themselves, decide to go to these schools for publicity. Sikeston is one of the very best in the state of Missouri and prolly a few other states but being ranked nationally, you have to produce titles on a regular basis. Sikeston will get their title this year though from the looks of it. Its just to bad you have to be a player like Otto to get any respect in the national media.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:49 PM

I'm pretty sure redshirt was joking. I really hope you're right about the title this year though, Cheesehead.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 1:50 PM
  • If Sikeston ran the table and went undefeated and won state, they probably still wouldn't be nationally ranked. Usually those are reserved for the very large schools that win their state's largest classification or the prep academies such as Oak Hill and Findley Prep (which I don't consider true high schools). Although I say that and Borgia was nationally ranked last year until they lost in the state final. But Borgia also had a Division I signee. Those help as well.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 2:23 PM
  • McCluer North, Chaminade, and Hazelwood ?Central? have all been in the Top 25 national rankings this year. Sikeston has been 94 in the nation at one point this year. They are currently ranked 114 in the nation.

-- Posted by Bleacherbum on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 2:40 PM
  • Yep. And both North and Chaminade have Division I signees. It helps to have a national recruit. Hazelwood Central has a "brand name." The Hazelwoods have always been good and have produced Division I athletes. I guarantee you go back 20 years and you'll see a lot of the same teams in that USA Today poll.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 2:57 PM
  • Beating a team like Sikeston is not about playing fast or slow. It is about not turning the ball over. They feed off of turnovers and layups. You are playing them even, then you turn it over two or three times, and your down 6. A little later, the same thing happens, and you are down twelve. Then you start pushing, trying to make those points up, and the press wipes you out.

If you handle the ball, you can be close, and be in a position to win at the end. Same as playing Scott Central, or any team that applies pressure.

-- Posted by chem1 on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 3:09 PM
  • Yeah i agree chem, if your deep you'll have a shot, nobodys starting 5 can play at that pace for a full game

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 3:14 PM
  • i agree with chem1. a mix of limiting turnovers and playing good on the offensive end is how you beat teams like these.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 3:17 PM
  • They'd have to have good defense too, sikeston doesn't have many multiple misses down the court..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 3:21 PM

Well at the game when jackson slowed it down they were only down 6 at the quarter. Im not saying run all the time in the world off the clock. Just run the clock until sikeston steps out to put pressure on the ball. Then dump it over their heads to the high post man and have a 4 on 3 game. And on Defense just slow them down. They say your supposed to press a pressing team. Well the reason they say that is because is slows them down and gets them out of their rhythm. That's why I say 3/4 soft man because it won't run you ragged and it would slow them down a little. Then on D I'd try a few different looks. Just so they could not get into a rhythm as easily. like on trip down play man, then the following trip play 2-3 zone, maybe the nex trip 1-3-1. just try to switch it up.

-- Posted by Shadow-the-hedgehog on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 5:25 PM
  • just come to sikeston's field house around 7 on February 11th. perfect oppurtunity to see how to beat them.

-- Posted by .neverever. on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 5:34 PM
  • well gadget, yes their half court game is good but they pull away from a lot of teams from lay ups off turnovers and easy transition baskets.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 5:35 PM
  • Or the hot shooting they've displayed..

Maybe the answer is curtis branch.. Doubt it

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 5:59 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: